Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Given that World War III is starting...

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

John Mongo wrote: »
    The actions of the senior Nazi leadership and the mistake made by a soldier calling in a CAS mission in the Kunduz region aren't even remotely similar.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Well, we are talking about the essence of the argument that particular poster made. They are the very same, exactly... hardly ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

John Mongo wrote: »
    The actions of the senior Nazi leadership and the mistake made by a soldier calling in a CAS mission in the Kunduz region aren't even remotely similar.

Don't be so ridiculous.

I wonder about the level of reading comprehension in Ireland, is it even on the school curriculum anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

karma_ wrote: »
    Well, we are talking about the essence of the argument that particular poster made. They are the very same, exactly... hardly ridiculous.
    Are you suggesting that the pilots or gunners of the AC-130 should be courts-martialed, then? If you're going to invoke the "Nuremberg defence", you should at least start with the Wikipedia page about it, here. In particular, the bit about the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court on war crimes, which states:
    1. The fact that a crime within the jurisdiction of the Court has been committed by a person pursuant to an order of a Government or of a superior, whether military or civilian, shall not relieve that person of criminal responsibility unless:

(a) The person was under a legal obligation to obey orders of the Government or the superior in question;
    (b) The person did not know that the order was unlawful; and
    (c) The order was not manifestly unlawful.

2. For the purposes of this article, orders to commit genocide or crimes against humanity are manifestly unlawful.
    I'm including article 2 because I would be accused of selective quotation if I didn't - but no, as horrible as the hospital bombing was, it doesn't qualify as genocide or a "crime against humanity".

So, do you think those in the AC-130 positively knew they were attacking a hospital? I seriously doubt that, meaning they are protected by articles 1(b) and/or (c). If you think they did know, and did it anyway, you're flatly accusing them of war crimes, which is not to be done lightly. How much do you have to hate the USA to assume the worst about them, before we know anything about what happened?

(On the other hand: regarding those on the ground who provided the information to the CP, and those in the CP who gave the orders - they're going to get books thrown at them.)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

bnt wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that the pilots or gunners of the AC-130 should be courts-martialed, then? If you're going to invoke the "Nuremberg defence", you should at least start with the Wikipedia page about it, here. In particular, the bit about the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court on war crimes, which states:

I'm including article 2 because I would be accused of selective quotation if I didn't - but no, as horrible as the hospital bombing was, it doesn't qualify as genocide or a "crime against humanity".

So, do you think those in the AC-130 positively knew they were attacking a hospital? I seriously doubt that, meaning they are protected by articles 1(b) and/or (c). If you think they did know, and did it anyway, you're flatly accusing them of war crimes, which is not to be done lightly. How much do you have to hate the USA to assume the worst about them, before we know anything about what happened?

(On the other hand: regarding those on the ground who provided the information to the CP, and those in the CP who gave the orders - they're going to get books thrown at them.)

Jesus H. I was simply rubbishing the post by the poster I quoted and pointing out the absurdity of his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

All this moral equivalence stuff - presumably borrowed third-hand from social studies dropouts - is hilarious.

Do carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

tins of beans OP
    tins of beans
    you could eat them hot or cold ;)

NATO is looking stoopid sticking up for Turkey, admittedly a member of NATO, but a country run another header, Erdogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

...at least according to Reuters today, I was wondering if this article in the Herald is still true.

To save you the bother of reading the articles, Russia's violation of Turkish (i.e. NATO) airspace is "raising the stakes in a high risk situation" (UK MoD Sec), and so we're all fecked.

But the real issue that perplexes me is whether we should pay any attention to the Herald when stocking up on baked beans. Heinz, Batchelors' and Aldi beans offer national pride, nostalgic comfort and brutal economic realities which are jostling for position in my mind.

Has anyone tried all three?

Never mind that sh*t, here comes Mongo!

BBDBB wrote: »
    Never mind that sh*t, here comes Mongo!

Candygram for Putin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Well judging by not being able to hit the country of Syria with Cruise missiles and hitting Iran. Should we worry to much about it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Who cares if WW3 is starting(again)? It's not like Ireland ever participates, bravely doing nothing as usual.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Who cares if WW3 is starting(again)? It's not like Ireland ever participates, bravely doing nothing as usual.

It is not true to say Ireland does nothing in these situations.

There have been hundreds - if not thousands - of brave Irishmen and women who have sacrificed their time to post on threads like this about war.

I and many others will be paying tribute to them in November by engaging in a mindless debate over the wearing of the poppy, and I think we should all do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well judging by not being able to hit the country of Syria with Cruise missiles and hitting Iran. Should we worry to much about it ?

That should probably make us worry more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

jmayo wrote: »
    No WWI was The Great War.

Mate. That was kind of the joke.

Major development: US to cut funds for training anti-Assad rebels. As yet unconfirmed, but it should be announced today apparently.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/09/us-to-axe-5-scheme-train-syrian-rebels-nyt

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Major development: US to cut funds for training anti-Assad rebels. As yet unconfirmed, but it should be announced today apparently.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/09/us-to-axe-5-scheme-train-syrian-rebels-nyt

Sounds like a serious case of copped on, is finally breaking out amongst the yanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Expect more quiet back tracking from the Americans. Not that they will ever accept Assad, but the sooner they and others realise that ISIL pose way more threat to them than Assad the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

There are unconfirmed reports that Turkey has shot down a Russian fighter jet:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3267595/Russian-jet-shot-Turkish-forces-flew-country-s-airspace.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

topper75 wrote: »
    Mate. That was kind of the joke.

Great of course meaning 'Big', so big in fact, that nearly 50.000 Irish men died in the Great War.

With 250.000 Irish men fighting in that war.

PS; many more Irish men fought in WWII, although the State officially remained neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Gatling wrote: »
    The Russian's are coming

The Russian's are coming

Not really when's Games of Thornes starting back

Val Bennett - The Russian Are Coming (Take Five) < I love this tune.

..it was the soundtrack to this great series on Channel 4 (UK), The Secret Life of Machines (Wikipedia), hosted by Tim Hunkin and Rex Garrod, in the late 80s, early 90s, YouTube has them all..

Advertisement