Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booze deals [Megathread]

Comments

rob316 wrote: »
    I've only had the rheinbacher from a can and it's a very good beer.

to be honest, I don't notice any real difference between the can and the bottle.

v good value beer.

the patronus weissbier in lidl for 1.49 a bottle is another v good one from the German discount chains imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Regular price of €24.95 in O'Briens- and at €19.95 online (from 8wines- similar prices from VinduFr and a few other sites).

You can pay 30-35 if you want- you don't need to).

O'Briens only starting getting regular stock in recent weeks, it was 30-35 euro pre and for most of lockdown because only select suppliers were importing it until quite recently. It was near impossible to get hold of for less than 30 after Christmas.

Reason I pointed it out is Supervalu money off vouchers are back so people can get a better bargain if they chuck it into a weekly shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

bazz26 wrote: »
    The checkout and service counter staff used to keep unused vouchers that customers didn't use but I think since Covid-19 they don't take them anymore.

They always have a way around that. What some of them do now is keep the voucher you would receive with a purchase and use another one for your purchase, that way, you never even get to handle a voucher and the cycle continues for next customer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

O'Briens only starting getting regular stock in recent weeks, it was 30-35 euro pre and for most of lockdown because only select suppliers were importing it until quite recently. It was near impossible to get hold of for less than 30 after Christmas.

Reason I pointed it out is Supervalu money off vouchers are back so people can get a better bargain if they chuck it into a weekly shop.

Is it nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

glasso wrote: »
    to be honest, I don't notice any real difference between the can and the bottle.

v good value beer.
    Cans usually get a bad rep, as people are drinking directly from them. Nowadays many small breweries are changing to cans as they feel it is superior to bottles, as it does not let light in.

Any time I have seen blind tastings done people did not find much of a difference, this was pouring the beer into glasses and then tasting.

Cans are usually plastic lined inside, but where you crack it open exposes bar metal, and I reckon this might have the "tin/aluminium foil on the teeth" effect

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Is it nice?

It is nice, but I wouldn't say its life changing either unless you're more of a white/rose drinker (I'm a red person except in hot weather). I much prefer it to the new Sarah Jessica Parker Invivo Rose.

I just get a hankering for rose every so often and have been disappointed by other bottles so prefer to get something I know I'll drink rather than risk it, unless I trust the recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭Invincible

Supervalu have Whispering Angel for 25 euro.

Not a bargain but its 35 euro in some spots.

Thought it was a Whiskey until I looked it up, outrageous price for wine 😀
    Anyone try The Crafty Brewing Co offerings,their Lager & Stout are nice, available in Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

It is nice, but I wouldn't say its life changing either unless you're more of a white/rose drinker (I'm a red person except in hot weather). I much prefer it to the new Sarah Jessica Parker Invivo Rose.

I just get a hankering for rose every so often and have been disappointed by other bottles so prefer to get something I know I'll drink rather than risk it, unless I trust the recommendation.

Where did you buy the SJP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

foodaholic wrote: »
    Where did you buy the SJP ?

Supervalu have the Sav Blanc.
    WinesoftheWorld.ie have the Sav Blanc and the Rose.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Claude Greengrass

Tesco: Cooneys Cider 4 for 10
    Also seeing more and more of the 660ml beer bottles Inc Stella and Camden Hells , won't be selling much at 3.50 a pop though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Invincible wrote: »
    Thought it was a Whiskey until I looked it up, outrageous price for wine ��

It might be an outrageous price for vinegar but for a quality wine it is actual quite cheap.

Disclaimer, I’ve never drunk it And am far from an expert so I have no idea How it ranks, although I did buy 2 bottles today for the missus

Seve OB wrote: »
    The one mentioned earlier in thread. 25 bottle tops for 24 peroni.
    I checked earlier in blanch, the had a box of 12 for 15 bucks or a box of 18 for 30 quid

Peroni offer is still on. Hard to find though, I was in Greystones today and they had none. On way home I popped into Liffey valley and got their last box

Sarah Jessica Parker endorsed wine ffs - does it leave a cranky annoying after-taste like she does?

Rose is a wine type more often associated with hen parties and being gulped rather than savoured tbh

Jeremy Clarkson likes to swig 2 bottles of Leoube over lunch.

Sarah Jessica Parker endorsed wine ffs - does it leave a cranky annoying after-taste like she does?

Rose is a wine type more often associated with hen parties and being gulped rather than savoured tbh

Jeremy Clarkson likes to swig 2 bottles of Leoube over lunch.

i personally would never buy a product with a "celebrity name" on it. im sure its good and all, but i'd much rather buy something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu.
    Powers gold 20e.

Selected wines thursday friday only offer 6 for 50 inc Brancott Estate, Oyster Bay, Wolf Blass and Campo Viejo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

12 x pint bottles of Guinness stout in Aldi. 24 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Rose is a wine type more often associated with hen parties and being gulped rather than savoured tbh.

Sorry but that's BS. Rosé is a perfect warm weather wine and there are some excellent wines that aren't bottles of sugar aka Zinfandel. Some of the best Rosé out there at the moment is in Lidl and Also. Lidl Pinot Grigio rosé is decent and Aldi has loads of great bottles, my favourite is Quisco.

I'm not buying into the Whispering Angel fad, trendy for the sake of trendy.

As for booze bargains O'Brien's have good offers on prosecco and some champagnes at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Tesco: Cooneys Cider 4 for 10
    Also seeing more and more of the 660ml beer bottles Inc Stella and Camden Hells , won't be selling much at 3.50 a pop though

Where's the Camden on sale? Quite like it😋😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Bahanaman wrote: »
    12 x pint bottles of Guinness stout in Aldi. 24 euro.

Haven't drunk that since peekers in dun laoghaire in the 80s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

Originally Posted by Seve OB View Post
    The one mentioned earlier in thread. 25 bottle tops for 24 peroni.
    I checked earlier in blanch, the had a box of 12 for 15 bucks or a box of 18 for 30 quid

That Tesco Peroni works out at 1.66 a bottle if you buy the 18 bottle box and just 1.25 a bottle for the 12 bottle box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭ablelocks

in supervalu

tiger 12 x 330 - €12

6 bottles of wine for 50 - can't rem which bottles though

Where's the Camden on sale? Quite like it😋😋

Tesco Tallaght. Ya can get the small cans in most marks too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

super value selling Smirnoff for €18 for 70cl bottle until July 1st.

ellejay wrote: »
    super value selling Smirnoff for €18 for 70cl bottle until July 1st.

€18 in tesco too, not advertised as an offer so no end date up (yet).

€26 for a litre which works out €18.20 for 700ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Haven't drunk that since peekers in dun laoghaire in the 80s!!

Jaysus, I remember that place. The height of sophistication 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭askU

Tesco
    Captain Morgan's 700 ml €18

SuperValu
    Stella Artois Lager Can (500 ml) 8 for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

Anyone seen good offers on Champagne recently?

Preferably Veuve Clicquot?

baileys strawberry is 15 in tesco, not listed as an offer.

Also in supervalu and is

WAS 20.00, NOW 15.00, SAVE 5.00
    Valid: Jun 25th - Jul 1st

It is 22 in molloys and "nuts about wine". Must be trying to get people to try it during strawberry season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

[quote="askU

SuperValu
    Stella Artois Lager Can (500 ml) 8 for €10[/quote]

Always that price in SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Carling 18 cans for €17, 440ml tesco. Hasn't been seen much since the pandemic started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

deisedav wrote: »
    Carling 18 cans for €17, 440ml tesco. Hasn't been seen much since the pandemic started

Thanks for that one. Carling is all 440ml since this pandemic - not sure why this is so. My local off license still charging the same price for the smaller cans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

whodafunk wrote: »
    Thanks for that one. Carling is all 440ml since this pandemic - not sure why this is so. My local off license still charging the same price for the smaller cans.

I think 440 ml is a UK size, whereas we have 330 ml or 500 ml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I see a lot of deals starting to mysteriously arise again just as the pubs are due to re open.

I noticed the distinct lack of deals during the lockdown when supermarkets had the market cornered.

It's not that I'm complaining, bring on those deals, just an observation.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The Diageo Budweiser contract finishes on Tuesday. I'd say Bud will be 8 for 10 more often given C&C are also the distributors of Becks and Stella, think the uk Bud is stronger too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dunnes

12 x Carling 440ml cans €12.50

20 x Budweiser 300ml bottles €16

Jameson Caskmates IPA or Stout €30

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'll never stop being amazed that people drink Budweiser. Any price is a rip off.

I've yet to come across any Peroni brewed in UK being sold here and i've bought and checked every box since I was made aware of it. The 24 pk i bought was brewed in Bari and is clearly identified on the box.

Got stung by the moretti though, knew there was something off about the 12pk bottles taste compared to the 660ml only for someone here to say it about the UK licensed brewing.

Carry out Clondalkin doing Moretti 500ml cans for 1.99, brewed in Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

dubstepper wrote: »
    I'll never stop being amazed that people drink Budweiser. Any price is a rip off.

I had a Diageo Tech guy in my old bar cleaning the lines one day. I told him customers complained there was a funny taste from Bud. He said well there should be no ****ing taste off that, its water. Its made from rice ffs its not even beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Soarer wrote: »
    Are there different versions of the Rheinbacher like there is Perlenbacher?

If it blew the Germany brewed Perlenbacher out of the water, I ight just give it a try!

do not think think so,i know you can get it in a can as well,but i always buy the 6 pck of 500ml bottles lovely stuff cheers.
    highly recommended,did you try it yet?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

bassy wrote: »
    do not think think so,i know you can get it in a can as well,but i always buy the 6 pck of 500ml bottles lovely stuff cheers.
    highly recommended,did you try it yet?.

Not yet.

Trying to slim down a bit after plumping up during the lockdown.
    Will definitely try it at some stage though. Fed up of waiting for the XXL Perlinbacher to come back in.

Soarer wrote: »
    Not yet.

Trying to slim down a bit after plumping up during the lockdown.
    Will definitely try it at some stage though. Fed up of waiting for the XXL Perlinbacher to come back in.

I would say that Rheinbacher from a bottle or can beats the Germany-brewed XXL Perlenbacher.

obviously when I say from a can I mean drinking from a glass!

possibly a tiny bit crisper from a bottle but that could be just a mind trick :)

recommend to try both can and bottle - both good

I've heard beer is fresher from a can as no light gets in to harm the hops and also air can get in under a bottle cap.

Tesco Dun Laoghaire still have the Peroni 24s for 25 quid, bout 17 boxes left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I would say that Rheinbacher from a bottle or can beats the Germany-brewed XXL Perlenbacher.

obviously when I say from a can I mean drinking from a glass!

possibly a tiny bit crisper from a bottle but that could be just a mind trick :)

recommend to try both can and bottle - both good

+1 on this. Rheinbacher for some reason gets less attention than Perlenbacher.

Probably a bit of a personal choice but I like the more bitter flavour in Rheinbacher. Perlenbacher is that bit sweet for my liking.

Unlike you though Glasso I prefer the cans of Rheinbacher. Maybe I’m losing it but it think it’s a different recipe. The bottles taste sweeter to me.

Must do a blind taste test can v bottle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Any decent deals on Guinness?

There was a report on RTE that they are resuming brewing since stopping in March. No wonder there is a shortage of offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Any decent deals on Guinness?

There was a report on RTE that they are resuming brewing since stopping in March. No wonder there is a shortage of offers.

slab in Tesco €30 it's 8 cans for €10 mix and match with other beers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dubstepper wrote: »

Continue to be amazed. I love it. Beats the sh1t of of that craft stuff and anything that ends in ....acher.
    Everyone to their own.
    So, BOT. Any deals on slabs?

Doubt there'll be any slab deals until August BH. Tesco 8 for 10 offer on til next week

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Offer of perlenbacher 8 for price of 6 back in Lidl from July 9th. Think it's €7.49 for 8 half litre bottles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

What does Budweiser and having sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both fxxking close to water

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement