Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three teenagers crushed to death in Tyrone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Wesser wrote: »
    Shocked and sad to hear this story. May they rest in peace and condolences to their families.

mode=amp"]http://https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/three-teenagers-dead-after-crush-at-st-patrick-s-day-disco-in-tyrone-1.3829758?mode=amp[/URL]

Horrific. Facts are scarce about this so far but I know the Psni put out a message on Facebook for all parents to come and collect their kids from the disco.

These teenage discos have got bad press around here for a long time. I don’t even want to imagine what their parents are going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Christ that's grim :(

RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Terrible thing. Between that car crash in Kilbeggan, the woman going missing after the hen party in Carlingford and those poor kids, it has been a bad Paddy's weekend.

Can't imagine what the parents are going through, heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The hotel has the appearance of a stately country home from the photos.

It looks quite small. Possibly more teenagers turned up than was expected.

Condolences to the grieving families and the witnesses & survivors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Iano813

Really no words to describe what happened here.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just read it . So sad for all .RIP to the victims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

Shocking. RIP.
    spurious wrote: »
    Terrible thing. Between that car crash in Kilbeggan, the woman going missing after the hen party in Carlingford and those poor kids, it has been a bad Paddy's weekend.

Bad weekend alright. 2 men also killed in a car crash near Carlingford last night and a motorcyclist this morning in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

It was described in six words in the thread title.

Grow up.
    RIP to those young people. Awful tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

An incident that really hits home as I've made many runs over the years to the Greenvale to leave / pick up the kids and their friends. A very popular venue at this age group with youngsters coming from far and wide to attend. Devastating news and every parents worst nightmare. May the kids involved Rest In Peace. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those involved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Absolutely heartbreaking. Horrible tragedy. Reminiscent of the Stardust albeit on a smaller scale, but just as tragic :(

May they rest in peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Horrific for the families. God love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Horrible way to go. Shocking. Every parents worst nightmare, a lot of families will feel this loss.

RIP.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

timthumbni wrote: »
    Horrific. Facts are scarce about this so far but I know the Psni put out a message on Facebook for all parents to come and collect their kids from the disco.

These teenage discos have got bad press around here for a long time. I don’t even want to imagine what their parents are going through.

The owners of the hotel will be in more than a spot of bother over this incident, as far as I remember, the Greenvale disco on a Sunday night isn't a teenage disco, ie there is a full bar on site selling alcoholic beverages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

No speculation please. Assume people affected by this could be reading your words and show some respect please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I couldn’t believe this when I heard about it this morning. So very sad thinking of those poor children being excited and happy looking forward to a night out with their friends and then this horrific tragedy to happen. I know it’s been said before but it really is every parents worst nightmare. May they Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

The owners of the hotel will be in more than a spot of bother over this incident, as far as I remember, the Greenvale disco on a Sunday night isn't a teenage disco, ie there is a full bar on site selling alcoholic beverages.

That's par for the course in the area (and is think across the country), I did the whole circuit, including the greenvale, myself back in the day, rite of passage from age 16 to early 20's. There was always the chance you'd be turned away, if security didn't accept ur id, but all attendees are and were fully aware that alcohol is on sale inside. There'll be questions to answer, but this happened before kids got entry afaik.

Absolutely tragic, as a parent now, I just can't imagine that you'd drop your kid off, never for a minute thinking it would be for the last time.
    Thoughts and prayers truly go out to the victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    That's par for the course in the area (and is think across the country), I did the whole circuit, including the greenvale, myself back in the day, rite of passage from age 16 to early 20's. There was always the chance you'd be turned away, if security didn't accept ur id, but all attendees are and were fully aware that alcohol is on sale inside. There'll be questions to answer, but this happened before kids got entry afaik.

Absolutely tragic, as a parent now, I just can't imagine that you'd drop your kid off, never for a minute thinking it would be for the last time.
    Thoughts and prayers truly go out to the victims.

Meet your brother.

Clubland, Glenavon, Greenvale, and would alternate with The Elk or Arbys the following weekend it was the biz in the early 90s.

Yeah there was a blind eye turned to the underages, but this will shine a light on it now, for sure.

This from a survivor at the scene.
    It started with pushing and shoving but everyone was still laughing and having a good time. Then the literal crushing started.

The people on the outside of this line were so determined to get in they felt the need to not only push us against the wall but push with all their strength. No matter how much we screamed and pushed back, there was no movement.

Two of my friends fell to the ground. I tried to pull them up but at that point there was no room for them to even come back up. So I started screaming at the top of my lungs:
    “My friends are on the ground, move back!”
    “My friends have fainted, move back!”
    “My friends can’t breath, move back!”
    - nothing. Not one bit of movement.

I could still see people laughing with no idea what was going on. At this point I thought my friends were going to die, I was standing up and I couldn’t breath so I couldn’t imagine how they felt. I was hysterically screaming for people to move but it was only the people around me who knew the seriousness.

With more and more pushing, I also fell. But the thing about me was that I wasn’t on the ground, I was on top of someone, and this person was on top of someone else. As I looked down I could see multiple bodies underneath me and as I looked up I could see multiple bodies on top of me. It was the most traumatic, frightening and stressful moment of my life.

I was looking about for my friends and trying to keep my head up. As dramatic as it sounds, I closed my eyes for a little and accepted what was going to happen however, an elbow to my throat soon woke me up. People were scratching, biting and grabbing anything they could to pull themselves up to breath. I think that’s what really shows the seriousness of it all, people were literally fighting for their lives.

It got to a point where even when I had my eyes open, I couldn’t see. It felt like this went on forever but eventually I felt bodies being dragged over me and beside me. It wasn’t the bouncers and it wasn’t the police, it was the young people in the line who pulled me out.

My leg was caught underneath someone and my hair was caught somewhere else, my jeans were pulled down around my thighs and my jersey above my head but I was getting pulled out nonetheless. I lay on the ground and opened my eyes, I remember seeing some motionless legs, a few socks and shoes and then I was pulled up and brought away.

I rang my parents to explain what had happened and let them know I was okay, I then tried to find my friends. I ran about frantically. I seen a young boy lying motionless trying to be resuscitated by the ambulance crew and I seen his friends screech as they found out he wasn’t going to make it.

I don’t think I will ever experience more relief in my life than when I seen one of my friends that had fallen, I was shocked she was alive. We all eventually found each other apart from my other friend that had fallen. We heard people had seen him, that he was roughed up but he was okay, I needed to see him myself though. He then came running towards us sobbing and all we could do was hug him.

These ‘people’ aren’t just ‘people’, they were young people, teenagers at 16/17 years old. They were only children.

It could’ve been anyone.

Unfortunately, a friend of mine who I had seen in the line and chatted to minutes beforehand has died. Morgan and the two other angels, just like the rest of us, left their families last night for an enjoyable night out but unlike the rest of us, they didn’t make it home. My heart breaks for their poor families.

There is no sugar coating what happened last night. As it got serious, we banged the windows of the hotel and tried to get help. The people inside simply looked away. While this was happening the gates were still locked and the bouncers were no help. If it wasn’t for the young people doing the right thing and ringing the police, the situation could’ve been so much worse.

The truth is, this could’ve been prevented.

I’m heartbroken.💔

Doesn't bear thinking about tbh.

That survivor’s report is heartbreaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

This from a survivor at the scene.

That’s pretty grim reading.

Horrible. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Very tough read. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That is seriously horrific reading. So damn specific and detailed. Mentally scarring imagery for that poor kid (and those others involved. Not just remembering their friends. First instincts in any sort of a medium to large crowd will be to revert to that incident from hereon for a lot of them.
    I hate crowds as it is, even the likes of the Luas at peak commute times I somewhat freak out and get anxious, so I can't imagine how it would be for those. Everybody thinks, no matter how full, there is always room for one more. It isn't just kids.
    Hopefully they get serious help. Stressful enough being that age for many kids, especially nowadays. Exams, looks, dating, this god awful instagram figure plague.
    Having to deal with these memories, I dunno, and then for others, no matter what, there will be guilt. Hopefully pointing fingers and speculation is not the immediate concern for most. Especially media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Meet your brother.

Clubland, Glenavon, Greenvale, and would alternate with The Elk or Arbys the following weekend it was the biz in the early 90s.

Indeed and joined by magherafelt just before I left for Dublin.
    Started hearing about this last night shortly after it happened. Thankfully, my nieces abd nephews who could have been there were quickly accounted for, but many confusing stories going round, social media in the troubles would have been manic.
    As I said earlier, really makes you think. Heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Absolutely horrendous
    Sympathy to the familys and friends of the victims of this tragedy.

RIP

With so much known about crowd control and what is required from a safety perspective these days, and this being a regular and well known venue, it's very hard to come to terms that it's actually possible for such a tragedy to occur in Ireland in 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Terrible tragedy and sympathies to the families involved. What's puzzling is how many people were involved and how did they all arrive at once? Who was organising their arrival? Must have been a couple of busloads at minimum? Why did the queue get stuck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Such a hard read.

Did it happen on the way in then? The crowd were all trying to get in and were pushing forward?

It's so hard to believe that three young people could die like this. RIP.

• Advertisement

That witness account is hard to read. My daughter has been up to Cookstown a few times when she was at Magee in Derry.

RIP to those who have died. May all those affected get the help that they will no doubt need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

strandroad wrote: »
    Such a hard read.

Did it happen on the way in then? The crowd were all trying to get in and were pushing forward?

Yes. At the entrance. Probably a line against one side of the wall, maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

strandroad wrote: »
    Such a hard read.

Yes, on the way in and relatively early in the evening.

Reading that harrowing report above, it raises many questions about the tragedy and how it was handled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Those poor families, RIP the victims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yes. At the entrance. Probably a line against one side of the wall, maybe

That is horrific. Apart from the people harmed in front imagine being at the back and now knowing that you have inadvertently contributed to killing three youngsters, possibly someone you know or a friend. Such a tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thats horrendous, so many people at fault here between the people on the outside pushing despite the screams, the bouncers and the staff in the hotel, the hotel management will have so much to answer for, when you run a business you have a duty of care towards customers on your premises, thats whats the bouncers are for, to think they banged on the windows trying to get help and were ignored, what does that say about the establishment. Shameful.
    Rip to those poor kids. Their families and friends will never be the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

The Stardust had a full bar too, and was full of under 18s. Nothing happened to Eamon Butterly over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

This weekend:

Three teenagers dead after disco incident.
    Two young men killed in a road crash in Louth
    Motor-cyclist died in Dublin this morning.
    Woman's body recovered from Carlingford Lough.
    Man (60's) died after a multi-vehicle crash on the M6 on St Patrick's Day.
    Elderly woman died in house fire in Youghal.

I don't recall ever hearing of such a grim weekend toll. Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Comhra wrote: »
    This weekend:

Three teenagers dead after disco incident.
    Two young men killed in a road crash in Louth
    Motor-cyclist died in Dublin this morning.
    Woman's body recovered from Carlingford Lough.
    Man (60's) died after a multi-vehicle crash on the M6 on St Patrick's Day.
    Elderly woman died in house fire in Youghal.

I don't recall ever hearing of such a grim weekend toll. Shocking.

Mod-Absolutely disgusting and baseless comment removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What should be a great weekend for everyone turns into nightmare for many family and friend's of all these victims.

Very sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Mod-Absolutely disgusting and baseless comment removed.

Apologies. I thought that's what has happened here with the lady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Very sad, every parents nightmare. RIP the victims. Prayers for the families and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

I don’t understand where all the adults were... there should have been parents dropping kids off, event organisers, bouncers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What a horrific way to go. RIP those who lost their lives.

Can we leave the speculation out of it for now though please? We have no idea what really happened and finger pointing or laying the blame won’t help anyone, least of all the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I posted on here (years ago) about near death experiences.

I'm quite small and went to Oxegen years ago. That night we went to see some techno music
    I was slightly drunk but not out of control. The crowd went mental and i got pulled to the ground with people literally trampling on top og me. My glasses were flung off my face.

Tbis big guy, over 6ft, started dragging people off me and shouting "There's a girl down there!" And managed to pull me to safety. I went to the first aid tent and had to get a sling, they werw surprised with how much bruising I had on my arm/elbow that it hadn't been broken.

For hours afterwards, I was shaking and crying. It was a horrible, horrible experience. I just remember trying to protect my head as I thought I was going to die.

RIP...a truly horrific death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Where on earth were the bouncers? I've been in many lines where drunk idiots start shoving, but the bouncers were on them before any bother could start. Ordinarily, I would hate pointing fingers, but even if you don't react to a bit of shoving (which isn't acceptable either), the moment the first person went down, the bouncers should have been all over that queue. That's part of their job. There are a number of people to blame for this, but bouncers are there to keep order. This was an entirely preventable accident in so many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

as a liverpool fan who watched hillsborough happening on tv, i can only sympathise with the kids involved in this. they are not old enough to deal with this. also a girl was crushed to death at a smashing pumpkins concert in dublin years ago too. our kids need to be better looked after than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

R.I.P to the victims and I believe those who died/ those who were injured are not the only victims. I believe that there are many innocent people who were there and will have mental scars. There has to be accountability at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I remember being at a gig years ago; band came onstage and there was a surge forward. Probably one hundred people went over like dominos one on top of the other. Luckily this was near the barrier and the security got the worst affected people out on over the barrier and gave good directions to those standing behind. Can easily happen and frightening to look at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I had not wanted to say yesterday but I note that it has now been confirmed that the death of young Morgan Barnard is the second St Patrick's Day tragedy to hit the family, as his grand uncle - 13 year old Patrick Barnard - was one of four people to lose their lives in a no warning car bomb at the Hillcrest Bar on the Donaghmore Road in Dungannon in 1976 - an incident I remember vividly as my Mum's Uncle - Andy Small - was one of the other victims.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/greenvale-hotel-tragedy-victim-morgan-barnard-lost-uncle-in-uvf-car-bombing-on-st-patricks-day-1976-37927126.html

I would have to say that I took the opportunity to read some of the tributes posted by friends of these youngsters on social media, and as a Father and Grandfather, I found them particularly moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Being from the area, having spent my mid to late teens at the Greenvale disco and also having a nephew who was in same class at school as one of the children killed I have been so sad about this since the whole thing came out.

I have saw some footage and have talked to eye witnesses. In the main in my opinion its the door staff who have let these children down - this could have been sorted before it happen r even when it began to happen..... there was time.... this wasn't a shooting which took place in seconds. There is an account from a child in the queue on facebook which explains the reality of the situation... its a tough read and would break your heart!

I feel devastated for the families.

Mickey McElhatton the owner is a very well known and liked man and he is broken about it from what I hear. I am sure it will live with him forever.

RIP Morgan, Lauren & Connor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement