Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three teenagers crushed to death in Tyrone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

strandroad wrote: »
    Such a hard read.

Did it happen on the way in then? The crowd were all trying to get in and were pushing forward?

It's so hard to believe that three young people could die like this. RIP.

Yes. At the entrance. Probably a line against one side of the wall, maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

strandroad wrote: »
    Such a hard read.

Did it happen on the way in then? The crowd were all trying to get in and were pushing forward?

It's so hard to believe that three young people could die like this. RIP.

Yes, on the way in and relatively early in the evening.

Reading that harrowing report above, it raises many questions about the tragedy and how it was handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Those poor families, RIP the victims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yes. At the entrance. Probably a line against one side of the wall, maybe

That is horrific. Apart from the people harmed in front imagine being at the back and now knowing that you have inadvertently contributed to killing three youngsters, possibly someone you know or a friend. Such a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thats horrendous, so many people at fault here between the people on the outside pushing despite the screams, the bouncers and the staff in the hotel, the hotel management will have so much to answer for, when you run a business you have a duty of care towards customers on your premises, thats whats the bouncers are for, to think they banged on the windows trying to get help and were ignored, what does that say about the establishment. Shameful.
    Rip to those poor kids. Their families and friends will never be the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

The owners of the hotel will be in more than a spot of bother over this incident, as far as I remember, the Greenvale disco on a Sunday night isn't a teenage disco, ie there is a full bar on site selling alcoholic beverages.

The Stardust had a full bar too, and was full of under 18s. Nothing happened to Eamon Butterly over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

This weekend:

Three teenagers dead after disco incident.
    Two young men killed in a road crash in Louth
    Motor-cyclist died in Dublin this morning.
    Woman's body recovered from Carlingford Lough.
    Man (60's) died after a multi-vehicle crash on the M6 on St Patrick's Day.
    Elderly woman died in house fire in Youghal.

I don't recall ever hearing of such a grim weekend toll. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Comhra wrote: »
    This weekend:

Three teenagers dead after disco incident.
    Two young men killed in a road crash in Louth
    Motor-cyclist died in Dublin this morning.
    Woman's body recovered from Carlingford Lough.
    Man (60's) died after a multi-vehicle crash on the M6 on St Patrick's Day.
    Elderly woman died in house fire in Youghal.

I don't recall ever hearing of such a grim weekend toll. Shocking.

Mod-Absolutely disgusting and baseless comment removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What should be a great weekend for everyone turns into nightmare for many family and friend's of all these victims.

Very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Mod-Absolutely disgusting and baseless comment removed.

Apologies. I thought that's what has happened here with the lady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Very sad, every parents nightmare. RIP the victims. Prayers for the families and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

I don’t understand where all the adults were... there should have been parents dropping kids off, event organisers, bouncers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What a horrific way to go. RIP those who lost their lives.

Can we leave the speculation out of it for now though please? We have no idea what really happened and finger pointing or laying the blame won’t help anyone, least of all the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I posted on here (years ago) about near death experiences.

I'm quite small and went to Oxegen years ago. That night we went to see some techno music
    I was slightly drunk but not out of control. The crowd went mental and i got pulled to the ground with people literally trampling on top og me. My glasses were flung off my face.

Tbis big guy, over 6ft, started dragging people off me and shouting "There's a girl down there!" And managed to pull me to safety. I went to the first aid tent and had to get a sling, they werw surprised with how much bruising I had on my arm/elbow that it hadn't been broken.

For hours afterwards, I was shaking and crying. It was a horrible, horrible experience. I just remember trying to protect my head as I thought I was going to die.

RIP...a truly horrific death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Where on earth were the bouncers? I've been in many lines where drunk idiots start shoving, but the bouncers were on them before any bother could start. Ordinarily, I would hate pointing fingers, but even if you don't react to a bit of shoving (which isn't acceptable either), the moment the first person went down, the bouncers should have been all over that queue. That's part of their job. There are a number of people to blame for this, but bouncers are there to keep order. This was an entirely preventable accident in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭emo72

as a liverpool fan who watched hillsborough happening on tv, i can only sympathise with the kids involved in this. they are not old enough to deal with this. also a girl was crushed to death at a smashing pumpkins concert in dublin years ago too. our kids need to be better looked after than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

R.I.P to the victims and I believe those who died/ those who were injured are not the only victims. I believe that there are many innocent people who were there and will have mental scars. There has to be accountability at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I remember being at a gig years ago; band came onstage and there was a surge forward. Probably one hundred people went over like dominos one on top of the other. Luckily this was near the barrier and the security got the worst affected people out on over the barrier and gave good directions to those standing behind. Can easily happen and frightening to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I had not wanted to say yesterday but I note that it has now been confirmed that the death of young Morgan Barnard is the second St Patrick's Day tragedy to hit the family, as his grand uncle - 13 year old Patrick Barnard - was one of four people to lose their lives in a no warning car bomb at the Hillcrest Bar on the Donaghmore Road in Dungannon in 1976 - an incident I remember vividly as my Mum's Uncle - Andy Small - was one of the other victims.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/greenvale-hotel-tragedy-victim-morgan-barnard-lost-uncle-in-uvf-car-bombing-on-st-patricks-day-1976-37927126.html

I would have to say that I took the opportunity to read some of the tributes posted by friends of these youngsters on social media, and as a Father and Grandfather, I found them particularly moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Being from the area, having spent my mid to late teens at the Greenvale disco and also having a nephew who was in same class at school as one of the children killed I have been so sad about this since the whole thing came out.

I have saw some footage and have talked to eye witnesses. In the main in my opinion its the door staff who have let these children down - this could have been sorted before it happen r even when it began to happen..... there was time.... this wasn't a shooting which took place in seconds. There is an account from a child in the queue on facebook which explains the reality of the situation... its a tough read and would break your heart!

I feel devastated for the families.

Mickey McElhatton the owner is a very well known and liked man and he is broken about it from what I hear. I am sure it will live with him forever.

RIP Morgan, Lauren & Connor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How does stuff like this still happen in a day and age where there is suppose to be paper work for everything? Between risk assesments, policies, procedures, insurance, forms for just changing a lightbulb, etc etc etc.

Was shocked when picked up the papers yesterday morning, and had another shudder when reading that survivors story. Yes it will lead to another investigation no doubt, and another peice of paperwork having to be produced, and no doubt, we will have another similar story down the line somewhere, due to another shortcut being taken somewhere.

RIP to the three kids, and condolances to their family and friends.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

People criticise health and safety but I think you can never be too careful. There should be more bouncers/safety officers whenever there is a crowd expected anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It was on the News that three buses arrived at the same time and all crowed in to the queue .That is something that needs looking in to as there should have been measures in place to ensure that didnt happen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Truly unimaginable to think that three youngsters went on a night out and never came home. There are no words adequate to describe this horrific tragedy.
    My thoughts are with their families and friends.

May they rest in peace, poor kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking from experience as a bouncer (not anymore but I spent 25 years on the job).

Bouncers are not trained in crowd control, and large venues are almost always under staffed when it comes to bouncers. Most owners will look at the minimum required (usually as recommended by the head doorman or security company supervisor) then chop two or three off that number again.

What was their instructions from either the head doorman or venue manager, what was happening the crowd that caused it to become unmanageable, there are so many questions needs to be asked of the venue's security/management policies and experiences of similar crush situations.

As a father I haven't been able to read into details, I can barely look at the photos of the three young people killed without it breaking my heart.

Poor kids, poor families and communities left devastated. I can't imagine the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

It's just so, so sad. Those poor teenagers and their families. Such a horrible way to die and such an avoidable death. I mean to be going to a disco and to get crushed in the crowd on the way in, it's so senseless. I can't imagine what they went through before they died. This must be incredibly difficult for the survivors to deal with too, the account posted here was just harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Speaking from experience as a bouncer (not anymore but I spent 25 years on the job).

Bouncers are not trained in crowd control, and large venues are almost always under staffed when it comes to bouncers. Most owners will look at the minimum required (usually as recommended by the head doorman or security company supervisor) then chop two or three off that number again.

What was their instructions from either the head doorman or venue manager, what was happening the crowd that caused it to become unmanageable, there are so many questions needs to be asked of the venue's security/management policies and experiences of similar crush situations.

As a father I haven't been able to read into details, I can barely look at the photos of the three young people killed without it breaking my heart.

Poor kids, poor families and communities left devastated. I can't imagine the pain.

In my opinion I don't think lack of training can be used here (I don't know whether they had it or not). This incident did not take seconds it took minutes upon minutes..... training or no training any strong adult employed by the hotel in the premises should have been out there when this horrific event started to transpire but by all accounts they weren't.

I know the venue well as it is our local hotel - it is a small venue there at least a dozen windows on the front of the building and the ones where the crowd had gathered are facing into reception. The disco hadn't even started so there can't be an excuse of they needed security inside to manage the crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Mickey McElhatton the owner is a very well known and liked man and he is broken about it from what I hear. I am sure it will live with him forever.

I was surprised to see he made a statement yesterday.
    It seemed very heartfelt and he looked and sounded distraught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I was surprised to see he made a statement yesterday.
    It seemed very heartfelt and he looked and sounded distraught.

The poor man looked on the verge of tears.
    There is no doubt he bears some responsibility for the events that unfolded but I don't envy him having the death of those children on his conscience.
    The guilt he must be feeling is unbearable.

RIP to those poor kids.
    Not downplaying the responsibility of security/hotel owners at all, but no one set out for this awful tragedy to happen.
    They will undoubtedly also be suffering under the burden of their part in this.
    Just awful all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Not downplaying the responsibility of security/hotel owners at all, but no one set out for this awful tragedy to happen.
    They will undoubtedly also be suffering under the burden of their part in this.
    Just awful all round.

The fact it's a local and rural establishment makes it worse IMO.
    Owners and staff are probably very well known in the area.

If it was a busy city centre location, the establishment involved becomes more faceless.

That said, it's no excuse for following all the correct safety procedures.
    I really hope no one is found at fault here, but at the same time I'm sure intervention or better planning could have prevented this tragedy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement