Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Ok, maybe you’re not aware but a security official within the state of Ireland needs a license(No problem you say he could have one) BUT to get one you need to reside in the state.

Where did you get that information? I don’t believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Surprised there was a court order given especially if it was their home. Judges are very reluctant to order reposessions of family homes in this country unless there is absolutely zero co-operation and payment from the party concerned which I assume was the case in this instance.

The bank is mainly at fault here, lending to an individual without more than likely doing a proper stress test on him first who operates in an industry that is notorious for acts like this. On top of this, sending a foreign security firm in to reposess the house whether they are British or not is all a major screw up by KBC and they have done serious harm to their reputation in this area (potentially nationwide). Very very naive.

They would have been much better off writing it off as a bad debt and forgetting about it.

Even though its not ok that people borrow money whether its for a house or something else & not pay it back, this is the reason why there are credit checks, stress tests and sectors of business that are considered high risk for financial institutions to lend to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Crazy stuff. I bet SF are glad there is no election in 2019. Many questions will be asked about this.

Didn't Captain Boycott himself go north to recruit loyalists to do his bidding when the natives finally got off their knees and united following Parnell's now world-famous Ennis speech in 1880?

And isn't Strokestown home of the notorious Denis Mahon, who was deservedly assassinated in 1847 for evicting over 3,000 people in Strokestown and the surrounding area in 1847 alone?

Yeah, you don't need to be a genius to see the optics of this are ineffably awful. And I wouldn't be against evictions per se: there are times when it is only fair to evict somebody - e.g. a strategic defaulter.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Odelay wrote: »
    Where did you get that information? I don’t believe it.

It is 110% . pSA in republic, SIA in the north you need to be a resident in the state to apply. Try apply for a PSA with a northern address

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

It seems like the Fine Gael government has lost all touch with rural Ireland . Big protest march in castlerea co rosscommon today against gardai beating up two men in that town last weekend . The guards working with the loyalist repossession gangs seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back in rosscommon this week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

hurler32 wrote: »
    It seems like the Fine Gael government has lost all touch with rural Ireland .

Big protest march in castlerea co rosscommon today against gardai beating up two men in that town last weekend .

The guards working with the loyalist repossession gangs seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back in rosscommon this week .

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/garda-responding-burglary-call-roscommon-13730592

Garda responding to 'burglary' call in Roscommon 'forced to fight for his life after being attacked by two men'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-investigate-after-officer-assaulted-by-two-men-in-roscommon-1.3727346?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

gctest50 wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/garda-responding-burglary-call-roscommon-13730592

Garda responding to 'burglary' call in Roscommon 'forced to fight for his life after being attacked by two men'

There was a march in Castlerea today in support of the 2 men. Not sure that that report tells the whole story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

It is 110% . pSA in republic, SIA in the north you need to be a resident in the state to apply. Try apply for a PSA with a northern address

Where does it say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

How much did they owe? When did they last make payments?

That's the million dollar question that nobody seems to know the answer to.
    Nobody held a shotgun to someones head and made them take out a loan

Sheer f****ing greed on the part of those who took out loans they couldn't pay

By all accounts this appears to be three elderly people involved. The bank obviously loaned them the money, should have stress tested them for it but possibly encouraged them to take the loan. Without all the details then we're all just guessing here but IMO the bank is far from faultless here. It's up to them to protect their own money and that's why they have stress tests. Obviously their own systems let them down here.

Corporate Ireland Vs Traditional Rural Ireland and Rural Ireland just bit back.

Were KBC right ? I don't know, but evicting a third generation farm family is never going to go well. Bear in mind that if these people are elderly, and they are third generation, their family has probably lived there for in excess of 100 years. As far as they, and all their neighbours, are concerned this is 'their land' and taking a loan from a bank would never justify seizing that land from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

It seems like the Fine Gael government has lost all touch with rural Ireland . Big protest march in castlerea co rosscommon today against gardai beating up two men in that town last weekend . The guards working with the loyalist repossession gangs seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back in rosscommon this week .

What’s that got to do with Fine Gael?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So Republican ones would have been fine, yeah?

Why not send a list of your approved security personnel to the banks so they can avoid offending you.

neither would be fine. security shouldn't be involved in the actual eviction. they should only be able to do the basic security job after the eviction is finished.
    evictions and similar should only be caried out by an arm of the gardai.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

neither would be fine. security shouldn't be involved in the actual eviction. they should only be able to do the basic security job after the eviction is finished.

Gardai don't do evictions.

By all accounts this appears to be three elderly people involved. The bank obviously loaned them the money, should have stress tested them for it but possibly encouraged them to take the loan. Without all the details then we're all just guessing here but IMO the bank is far from faultless here. It's up to them to protect their own money and that's why they have stress tests. Obviously their own systems let them down here.

Were KBC right ? I don't know, but evicting a third generation farm family is never going to go well. Bear in mind that if these people are elderly, and they are third generation, their family has probably lived there for in excess of 100 years. As far as they, and all their neighbours, are concerned this is 'their land' and taking a loan from a bank would never justify seizing that land from them.

All we know is - they borrowed a lot of money

Where is it ?

What was it spent on ? No mention of that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I get the sense the country is close to tipping point on many issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fee things I've noticed.

1) Nowhere credible have I read that these men evicting are in any way linked to Loyalist Paramilitarys. It's seems that one of them said he was British on the recording. It is been used to stir up hatred towards them.

2) We have no detail about the loan in question, how much was taken and how much was owed and most importantly if/how long the owners buried Thier heads in the sand. That makes a massive difference. Massive difference between not paying or not contacting the bank for a year opposed to 5.

3) Nothing justifies violence from either party in this dispute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

which just makes them and their neighbours naive fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Allinall wrote: »
    What’s that got to do with Fine Gael?

Think it’s no secret Fine Gael are only concerned with what’s happening in Dublin . Locals of castlerea are very angry with whatever occurred last weekend in Castlerea . Meanwhile a few miles up the road the guards were proving back up to these Northern Ireland repossession firm lads . Fine Gael are the government who control the guards . None of the above carry on would be tolerated in South Dublin .

No sign of the guards when it comes to travellers robbing rural people but they can assist loyalists repossession firms ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

I decided to ask KBC myself what the story was and it got deleted for "trolling", what a joke. These are all sincere questions, I have a credit card with KBC and am considering a mortgage.

tHP4eFk.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Mod: Internet tough guys/keyboard warriors Makikomi and Patww79, don't post in this thread again

at least they aren't a wannabe tough guy impersonating somebody else ( i.e Mark Rippetoe) cos they've no personality of their own
    you absolute dope.

Mod: Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Think it’s no secret Fine Gael are only concerned with what’s happening in Dublin . Locals of castlerea are very angry with whatever occurred last weekend in Castlerea . Meanwhile a few miles up the road the guards were proving back up to these Northern Ireland repossession firm lads . Fine Gael are the government who control the guards . None of the above carry on would be tolerated in South Dublin .

No sign of the guards when it comes to travellers robbing rural people but they can assist loyalists repossession firms ??

No surprise really when you see where our new Garda chief comes from.

That's a lovely story.

Where is all the money they borrowed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Maybe Irish people have finally woken up...!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Watched the videos ****in scandalous wat their doing. They were old people in there seventies. Scumbags and thugs them and the banks. We bailed out the ****in banks and this is what we get

keavebm wrote: »
    Watched the videos ****in scandalous wat their doing. They were old people in there seventies. Scumbags and thugs them and the banks. We bailed out the ****in banks and this is what we get

We didn't bail out Kbc if I recall correctly.

washman3 wrote:

To what exactly? It sure isn't personal responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Good on them.

washman3 wrote: »

To the fact some rural people could borrow a few hundred thousand and never pay it back ?

because 3 generation/800 years/one guy said he was English

Where is the money they borrowed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

All we know is - they borrowed a lot of money

Where is it ?

What was it spent on ? No mention of that ?

We don't know if it was a 'lot of money' (relatively speaking ). We actually don't know anything about it. If we did know then peoples attitudes or sympathies may swing one way or the other.
    which just makes them and their neighbours naive fools.

You could say the same about the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I kind of wish the culprits were Muslim, or at least African. This thread is far too reasoned and hasn't even picked out a large chunk of society to dehumanise based on the actions of a small few yet.

AH, you're slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

There’s already one county in Ireland where most banks won’t accept mortgage applications, because the security is virtually unenforceable. The people supporting the incident in Roscommon need to think about the possible consequences. And, if even one of them is identified, they’ll be buying new vans etc for the security company... then we’ll see who loses their house.

gctest50 wrote:
    Sheer f****ing greed on the part of those who took out loans they couldn't pay

Are you ****ing serious? Such a stupid comment to make. U dont know the circumstances these people have. Ur probably a banker the greediest scumbags of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the vigilante anti eviction thugs who burned out cars and disregarded the rule of law.

As would I. However what do you think inspired that proto nationalist reaction? I get it, the bank has a debt that needs to be enforced but the manner in which they have gone about it is braindead ro put it mildly. Surely somebody there would have copped that this would have acted like a red rag to a bull to the people who went vigilante last night?
    Bloody bank owes more

Crazy stuff. I bet SF are glad there is no election in 2019. Many questions will be asked about this.

i wouldn't imagine sf will have anything to worry about given they have nothing to do with what happened.

they don't currently, but that should change. it won't be ideal either, but better then hired goons in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

firstly, look, learn to spell the words you use or learn to use other words- as a rule i detest people grammar nitpicking but as another rule if one is to lecture on complexity then let's have some minimum standards

secondly, there's little or nothing complex about the plot and driving factors relevant to this situation as so well set out by the playwright, who well recognised the irish thug sickness caused by a presumed birthright to "the land". seeing as you raised the point it seemed fair to remind you that at heart its a criticism of exactly the type of lawless, morally vacuous defence of greed and self interest you are defending here.

anyone living in or with experience in rural ireland knows very well the mindset of these fellas and knows very well that beatings in the dark is a long-cherished mechanism of theirs

Fair cop.

You caught me at a moment when I was feeling particularly disdainful towards humanity in general

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote:
    We didn't bail out Kbc if I recall correctly.
    People are commenting like the banks are the best in the world. Their not. They are money grabbing bastards. The biggest scumbags and crooks in this country are the banks they should be ashamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No surprise really when you see where our new Garda chief comes from.

I don't really want to believe the implications of this post, but it does make me wonder if the gov made another big mistake hiring him.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

No just block roads , escort the Gombeen men,and stand idly by as elderly ppl are abused,and pushed around,wake up moron FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Any links to the videos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

No just block roads , escort the Gombeen men,and stand idly by as elderly ppl are abused,and pushed around,wake up moron FFS

I read on Facebook that one of the elderly people was a retired garda. Any truth in this because the video I saw there was half a dozen big fookers roughly manhandleing him under a serving gardas nose. Hope he was proud of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The elderly people, while I have some sympathy for them, brought it on themselves. And they had every chance to leave peacefully. They chose not to.

I don't really want to believe the implications of this post, but it does make me wonder if the gov made another big mistake hiring him.!

Just threw it out there for the craic, however it is a stick to beat the Garda chief if 'security firms dressed in paramilitary gear from the north' are going to be used continually in evictions down here.

Ultimately the house/land will be sold (but for less than it's worth as a potential buyer will see all this nonsense), so the original owners will still owe even more to the bank (as the land selling for small money will not offset as much of the debt).

Banks around the place will see all this hassle involving farmers and their god-complex that they're above everyone else (and shouldnt have to pay their bills), and will either stop loaning to them or will hit them with huge interest to cover these kind of situations.

Seems like a win-win for all involved, alright.

pablo128 wrote: »
    The elderly people, while I have some sympathy for them, brought it on themselves. And they had every chance to leave peacefully. They chose not to.

they didn't bring it on themselves no . there isn't any justification for the behaviour of the hired lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

they didn't bring it on themselves no . there isn't any justification for the behaviour of the hired lot.

Weren't you the one last year saying that the authorities should use violence to force peaceful residents to accept a bunch of antisocial criminal Travellers at the end of their road in the aftermath of the Carrickmines fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is this another case of people taking out loans on property they couldn’t afford and then finding out they might be evicted from the property they never actually paid for in the first place? Shocker!

They would have all been in court ? Yes ? No ?

Would basically been told by the judge to gtf for not engaging ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JCJCJC wrote: »
    There’s already one county in Ireland where most banks won’t accept mortgage applications, because the security is virtually unenforceable. The people supporting the incident in Roscommon need to think about the possible consequences. And, if even one of them is identified, they’ll be buying new vans etc for the security company... then we’ll see who loses their house.

Which county is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Effects wrote: »
    Don't pay your mortgage, you lose your house. Is that too simplistic?

The poor old bankers need all the help they can get eh. Let's not forget it was greedy bankers who helped screw up this country ten yrs ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why were these people in Falsk Roscommon evicted? had they borrowed money during the boom for something and couldn't pay it back?

they didn't pay their mortgage is too simple, there must be a story of how they go to that point...

• Advertisement
Advertisement