Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to Express our Displeasure with Politicians & Media

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have just come across a huge anomaly and discrimination on the social welfare system that angers me

Job seekers benefit is for those who have worked and paid credits and tax ,But they now take the history of pay for that person from 2016 .So lets say a person age 30 earned less in 2016 for any reason ie maternity benefit , looking after a sick child etc .His benefit is reduced in 2018 because of that .He is now reduced to €155 a week

Weekly Jobseeker's Benefit payment from 22 March 2018

Average weekly earnings Personal rate

€150 - €219.99 €127.80
    €220 - €299.99 €155.10
    €300 or more €198.00

Now take Job seekers Allowance .Given to those with not enough credits , never worked a day , never paid tax .Age 30

Jobseeker's Allowance rates from 21 March 2018
    Age Maximum personal rate I
    Aged 26 and over €198.00
    Aged 25 €152.80
    Aged 18-24 €107.70

So the one who worked for 10 years and earned a bit less in 2016 gets less money than the one who never worked a day in their life .
    This is an absolute disgrace , its discrimination towards the one who worked and now finds themselves without a job due to circumstances .

I saw this post on the never-before-worked-in-her-life welfare mother of 7 thread.
    This is appalling and warrants some type of communication to our esteemed Minister for Employment Affairs & Social Protection.

As a reminder, here is her contact information. It literally should only take a minute or two out of your time to express your dismay and dissatisfaction:

TD Doherty's email address is here: regina.doherty@oir.ie
    Other contact information for her is here.
    And the Fine Gael party can be contacted here: finegael@finegael.ie
    An Taoiseach here: leo.varadkar@oir.ie
    Paschal Donohoe can be found here: paschal.donohoe@oireachtas.ie
    And the Ministerial office at the Department of Finance & Public Expenditure and Reform is here: minister@per.gov.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The problem here is a lot of people are just sheep.
    I've suggestd multiple times on that thread of a media boycott and no one has even replied to it...they're just content to bleat away and do nothing.

All it would take is to hit the media where it hurts..in their pocket.
    If no one is listening to the morning slot on Newstalk or RTE what firm will pay for their adverts to be played?
    If no one retweets Miriam, RTE, The Independent or the Journal that lessens their profile also.
    If we all delete the apps from RTE, journal and the Independent on our smart devices that's another loss.
    If we stop buying their newspapers they won't be long copping on either.

We have the power to stop all this..but are we bothered enough to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Blazer wrote: »
    I've suggestd multiple times on that thread of a media boycott and no one has even replied to it...they're just content to bleat away and do nothing.
    Or perhaps the problem is that really, deep down, not that many people actually agree with you.

Any kind of boycott is very, very difficult to organise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Or perhaps the problem is that really, deep down, not that many people actually agree with you.

Any kind of boycott is very, very difficult to organise.

Are you kidding?
    You think that the majority in Ireland agrees with the scam perpetrated by Margaret Cash, or the majority in Ireland believe that those of them who work for many years and need welfare if they lose their job should get less money than those who have never worked in their lives?

Maybe, just maybe, the vast majority in Ireland are busy getting up early in the morning 5 days a week (sometimes more) and suffering tedious time-consuming commutes before doing 8 to 10 hours of work. And many of these people have families that they have to take care of, including bringing children to creches. Then on the one or two days that they off, they have to bundle all that needs to be done for that week (social, household, personal etc.) into a very short time-frame.

The social welfare system in Ireland is broken because it is too generous, panders to those who screams loudest, unfair to working people who need it (versus lifetime dole recipients), and it has become a lifestyle choice for a sizeable chunk of the 5.1% who are unemployed in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yes but I want an economic right but socially left party,

that's Leo's party, for people who get up early in the morning, or do you sleep in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I've suggestd multiple times on that thread of a media boycott and no one has even replied to it...

Here's a reply.

If no one is listening to the morning slot on Newstalk or RTE what firm will pay for their adverts to be played?
    If no one retweets Miriam, RTE, The Independent or the Journal that lessens their profile also.
    If we all delete the apps from RTE, journal and the Independent on our smart devices that's another loss.

Nope. You see deep down the public and the media know that truth is the actual problem.
    The Irish media and the media in the west in general, are only telling the public what they want to hear, so you can hardly blame the media.
    So expect maximum resistance from everyone to any boycott of the Irish media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Punch them in the face

Kivaro wrote: »
    Are you kidding?
    You think that the majority in Ireland agrees with the scam perpetrated by Margaret Cash, or the majority in Ireland believe that those of them who work for many years and need welfare if they lose their job should get less money than those who have never worked in their lives?

Maybe, just maybe, the vast majority in Ireland are busy getting up early in the morning 5 days a week (sometimes more) and suffering tedious time-consuming commutes before doing 8 to 10 hours of work. And many of these people have families that they have to take care of, including bringing children to creches. Then on the one or two days that they off, they have to bundle all that needs to be done for that week (social, household, personal etc.) into a very short time-frame.

The social welfare system in Ireland is broken because it is too generous, panders to those who screams loudest, unfair to working people who need it (versus lifetime dole recipients), and it has become a lifestyle choice for a sizeable chunk of the 5.1% who are unemployed in this country.

Have you looked at any opinion poll of party preferences recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

animaal wrote: »
    Our form of democracy, with Proportional Representation, facilitates coalitions. If the only parties in power are Centre and Left parties, then government policy will always be left-leaning.

If we had a combination of Left and Right in power, we'd be more likely to have balanced policy. Or even if we had centre/left and centre/right coalitions over the years, we'd see some policy swings, but a more balanced centre situation in the long run.

But the Irish continually reject right-leaning parties. The PDs ran out of support in 2009. Renua never got off the ground because people felt stronger about the stance of some of the party's members on abortion than about the party's economic policies.

The result is the situation we have today. If there's a block of people who don't feel represented today, it's because that block of people didn't vote in their own economic interests.

This.
    I think if Renua can put together a good offering ahead of an election, they could find a way into government and bring about some sensible policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Renua are dead. You can forget about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I’m boycotting them with you. At least I won’t buy the print copies. At least on boards and the journal, people can express their disgust ...

All they care about is returns, ie the media, the “its all the governments of someone else’s fault” crap that passes for journalism is supplied, because it’s what people want to read and believe ... You know what, they say the electorate gets the government it deserves, it’s true ...

If everyone joins the boycott except me, I will be able to call them all sheep.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I’m boycotting them with you. At least I won’t buy the print copies. At least on boards and the journal, people can express their disgust ...

All they care about is returns, ie the media, the “its all the governments of someone else’s fault” crap that passes for journalism is supplied, because it’s what people want to read and believe ... You know what, they say the electorate gets the government it deserves, it’s true ...

If you click onto their websites, they're earning money from you too. So if you really want to boycott, you're going to have to block the websites too.

All the media care about is the media - looking after themselves and their owners. They're generally smart enough to play the long game too. They have directly interfered with politics in the past and will do so again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I email Regina there and asked her to ensure ALL workers are included in the tax base before she dips her hand back in the pocket of middle income people yet again. have some vision for **** sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I email Regina there and asked her to ensure ALL workers are included in the tax base before she dips her hand back in the pocket of middle income people yet again. have some vision for **** sake.

I pointed out the same in my email which was acknowledged by her Private Secretary . They have absolutely no imagination and just take the easy option time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Damien360

animaal wrote: »
    Our form of democracy, with Proportional Representation, facilitates coalitions. If the only parties in power are Centre and Left parties, then government policy will always be left-leaning.

If we had a combination of Left and Right in power, we'd be more likely to have balanced policy. Or even if we had centre/left and centre/right coalitions over the years, we'd see some policy swings, but a more balanced centre situation in the long run.

But the Irish continually reject right-leaning parties. The PDs ran out of support in 2009. Renua never got off the ground because people felt stronger about the stance of some of the party's members on abortion than about the party's economic policies.

The result is the situation we have today. If there's a block of people who don't feel represented today, it's because that block of people didn't vote in their own economic interests.

This.
    I think if Renua can put together a good offering ahead of an election, they could find a way into government and bring about some sensible policies.

Renua are dead. If they wanted to even get a TD in the next Dail, they would have to start 2 years ago campaigning. No support base. Poor choice of candidates anyway. They also got the mood of Ireland's older generation very wrong in the abortion referendum. Tried to sail on the anti ticket and considering the final result, picked the wrong side. The media promptly ignored them and will do the same again for any startup. It is all FF/FG. No wonder we are a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I pointed out the same in my email which was acknowledged by her Private Secretary . They have absolutely no imagination and just take the easy option time and time again.

and this lack of imagination and bravery is just hacking away at the countrys future, I honestly consider it treasonous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Email sent. Great thread OP, I hope you do more of this.

• Advertisement

that idiot Regina Doherty! What is her response to someone earning 30,000 last year, budget 2018, received a E1.50 income tax saving, while it was " insulting" to give less than a E5 weekly increase to the welfare wasters?

that idiot Regina Doherty! What is her response to someone earning 30,000 last year, budget 2018, received a E1.50 income tax saving, while it was " insulting" to give less than a E5 weekly increase to the welfare wasters?

No matter what is said, you'll find the golden circles actual policy is always that people on 30,000 a year are paying far too little tax, and those on higher wages far too much

Sent.

Wonder what Paschal is thinking about Regina. Paschal wanted to reduce the burden of taxation on middle income earners and while doing a bad job of it - Regina is about to undo pretty much the whole lot in one budget..

tossers

and this lack of imagination and bravery is just hacking away at the countrys future, I honestly consider it treasonous.

It is treasonous. It is my opinion a huge number of politicians enter it for personal gain and as a career. Once in, all that matters to them is holding onto that job, therefore they must ensure votes are gained across all sectors of society.

Middle Ireland is comfortable and has been for a while but getting more disillusioned by the day. I expect it to turn to action at some stage. There's only so far people can be pushed.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Sent.

Wonder what Paschal is thinking about Regina. Paschal wanted to reduce the burden of taxation on middle income earners and while doing a bad job of it - Regina is about to undo pretty much the whole lot in one budget..

tossers

He probably doesn't realise. His priority right now is getting the Dublin Metro moved away from Na Fiannas pitches. Lot of votes to be won there.

It is treasonous. It is my opinion a huge number of politicians enter it for personal gain and as a career. Once in, all that matters to them is holding onto that job, therefore they must ensure votes are gained across all sectors of society.

Middle Ireland is comfortable and has been for a while but getting more disillusioned by the day. I expect it to turn to action at some stage. There's only so far people can be pushed.

There aren't a huge number of politicians good or bad, in the first place. 158 TD's, 60 Senators and 949 County Councillors.

• Advertisement

It is my opinion a huge number of politicians enter it for personal gain and as a career

Honest people don't go anywhere near politics in Ireland, apart from the odd innocent header who didn't seem to know any better and who don't last too long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

_Brian wrote: »
    Vote, get your friends out to vote, this is how we show displeasure to politicians, emails and letters rarely make it to them but rather filtered through by secretaries.

The bigger problem is the growing entitlement brigade, they are growing in force and numbers and politicians are listening to them as a voting block. So free houses - SW increases and more taxes on tue worker will be common no matter who is in power.

You're foolish if you think that votes decide anything. If you want change go out in the streets and protest just like in France and then you'll get change. How many times it has been proven that it doesn't matter who you vote for.

It is treasonous. It is my opinion a huge number of politicians enter it for personal gain and as a career.
    Would you prefer a bunch of amateurs? What's the problem with making a career?

Would you prefer a bunch of amateurs? What's the problem with making a career?

not everyone aspires to be a professional liar for a living

not everyone aspires to be a professional liar for a living

It's easy to knock it, but it's a lot harder to get up off your butt and actually do something about it.

• Advertisement

It's easy to knock it, but it's a lot harder to get up off your butt and actually do something about it.

so what do you intend to do about all the liars in Irish politics ?

so what do you intend to do about all the liars in Irish politics ?

What I intend to do is to encourage those who keep knocking politicians with the 'curse on all your houses' nonsense to get up off their butts and do something.

If you're convinced about the millions of people just waiting to sign up for the PDs V2.0, then obviously you should just start it and the supporters will come flying in.

The fact that Mickey McDowell had a look at having another go a year or two back, and decided against definitely shouldn't hold you back. Don't take the view of an ex-Tanaiste, ex-Minister, ex-party leader over a few Internet posters any day - sure what would he know?

What I intend to do is to encourage those who keep knocking politicians with the 'curse on all your houses' nonsense to get up off their butts and do something.

If you're convinced about the millions of people just waiting to sign up for the PDs V2.0, then obviously you should just start it and the supporters will come flying in.

The fact that Mickey McDowell had a look at having another go a year or two back, and decided against definitely shouldn't hold you back. Don't take the view of an ex-Tanaiste, ex-Minister, ex-party leader over a few Internet posters any day - sure what would he know?

I think you're confusing me with your false assumptions, I detest all politicians and parties and their cronies, so go do your party lackey propaganda thing somewhere else.

I detest all politicians and parties and their cronies,
    Good for you, with that kind of constructive attitude, I'm sure you'll find a great solution to this political problem any day now.

Good for you, with that kind of constructive attitude, I'm sure you'll find a great solution to this political problem any day now.

run along back to cronie spin school, there's a good lad.

run along back to cronie spin school, there's a good lad.

So what's your solution, beyond moaning on the forums, that is?

So what's your solution, beyond moaning on the forums, that is?

Don’t you have to be a councilor before running for election ? This thread has been a success, honestly , I have underrated just what a failure the system and those frauds we have to choose from come election time are. They are the bloody problem! No ideas, no vision, no spine! Morons!

No matter what is said, you'll find the golden circles actual policy is always that people on 30,000 a year are paying far too little tax, and those on higher wages far too much
    Oh that’s true. But simple as, if you’ve got the money to send up in smoke on welfare increases, it’s totally unjustified now. Except if you’re running for election...

Don’t you have to be a councilor before running for election ? This thread has been a success, honestly , I have underrated just what a failure the system and those frauds we have to choose from come election time are. They are the bloody problem! No ideas, no vision, no spine! Morons!

Gerry Adams was NEVER a Councillor.

Don’t you have to be a councilor before running for election ?

Nope.

• Advertisement

ah cmon this is puerile stuff.

if an entire complex sphere of activity that occurs all over the world and for some millenia now as a necessary part of human society seems to you from the outside to be as simple and badly-operated as this, would you have a moment of self-awareness at all and consider for half a second that you are just very likely indeed to be underestimating what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Don’t you have to be a councilor before running for election ?

Not at all. George Lee took leave from RTE and got elected

Anyone else get a response from Regina this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Is that physically or mentally disabled. Just think of the auld kids with the adhd and on the spectrum.
    I see you no one pulled you on this comment so allow me to ask the question what do you mean by this “on the spectrum “.

People could run as independents on a reward the tax payer mandate. They could then form an independent alliance perhaps. Might be a lot easier than trying to form a new party now before an election. I’m assuming if you were in any way decent and run on a primarily housing and rewarding work basis, you would probably get in, in many constituencies. If you form a party and receive over 2% of the vote, you receive 200,000 each year from central government...

This is very interesting. How to become a td article from the journal a few years back ... http://www.thejournal.ie/election-td-dail-running-vote-crack-attempt-2263391-Aug2015/

People could run as independents on a reward the tax payer mandate. They could then form an independent alliance perhaps. Might be a lot easier than trying to form a new party now before an election. I’m assuming if you were in any way decent and run on a primarily housing and rewarding work basis, you would probably get in, in many constituencies. If you form a party and receive over 2% of the vote, you receive 200,000 each year from central government...

This is very interesting. How to become a td article from the journal a few years back ... http://www.thejournal.ie/election-td-dail-running-vote-crack-attempt-2263391-Aug2015/

Hard to reward work and pay for a housing programme I'd have thought

Why not join one of the twenty or so parties that we have already. There is a vast difference between some of them on a whole range of issues. A few of them might fall into the sort of politics you want.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Hard to reward work and pay for a housing programme I'd have thought

No. Changing existing ridiculous regulations governing apartment/studio construction costs that ensure no worker on anywhere near the average industrial can afford a property, can be changed at zero cost ... and I’m not talking about these workers receiving any assistance from the state. in fact the government would be beneficiaries of such astounding vision with the increase in land value and all the extra construction related revenue it would bring in ...

Why not join one of the twenty or so parties that we have already. There is a vast difference between some of them on a whole range of issues. A few of them might fall into the sort of politics you want.
    Nah. Renua economically are the only ones I’d probably agree with. They look like they have severely curtailed the amounts of seats that they could win ... it’s a shame. I hold out hope a new party might form that would reward workers and actually appeal to more people than renua

• Advertisement

No. Changing existing ridiculous regulations governing apartment/studio construction costs that ensure no worker on anywhere near the average industrial can afford a property, can be changed at zero cost ... and I’m not talking about these workers receiving any assistance from the state. in fact the government would be beneficiaries of such astounding vision with the increase in land value and all the extra construction related revenue it would bring in ...

Your solution is bedsits?

Advertisement