Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a dole scammer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Hmm. Posted at 11:50 on a weekday morning.

Were you on a day off work?

was actually off sick the last two days but i would usually have board's open anyway , i work in social media marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If you want to report somebody, you shouldn't be allowed to be anonymous.

After all, if you feel so strongly about it, it would be easy to stand by your convictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I know somebody close to me who hasn't worked since finishing school. He has spent the best part of a decade on various courses (unfinished), schemes, and applying for jobs that he is guaranteed not to get.

He has no intention of working and will be quite honest about this. But he will do jobs on the side as they arrise.

He is a family member so I would not report him.

I have to bite my tongue every time he gives out about our 'corrupt government' who doesn't care about the working class. I have to leave the room when he says he's heading out to collect his 'wages' then comes back with fags, lotto tickets and take aways.

It's getting harder and harder to stay quiet.

I cancelled plans with him one day as I had just worked a 50 hour week and needed a night to just relax in front of the telly. I nearly went for him when he said 'ah sure you're always tired'.

Separately, the system is very broken if this level of abuse is allowed.

That makes me angry just reading it :mad:

Report his lazy arse, wait for the Social to come down on him like a tonne of bricks and then he'll see how hard people have to work to supply his "wages" when he's sitting taking orders in a McDonalds drive thru because they cut him off.

Could be the best thing that has ever happened to him.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Jesus people on boards think the countries "problems" begin and end with the unemployed. They don't actually have stomach for change because if they did they'd want to start at the top and work their way down but they want to start at the bottom and stay there. They only want those they look down on to feel their wrath. Don't get me started on "breaking the law". Didnt bould Bertie do nixxers left right and centre and when cornered said he won it on the nags and ye still blow smoke up his jacksie. The law aint blind it's for sale. Breaking the law, give me a break.

Balls - that's whataboutery of the highest order.

A crime is a crime, and those who are scamming the social are reducing the amount in the pot for genuine cases. If you actually contributed to society and paid taxes, I'd imagine you would understand why people stealing public money meant as a leg up to the vulnerable is a problem for most people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Tasden wrote: »
    Just in case anybody is put off taking up temp work by this post, you can actually inform your social welfare office that the work is temporary and they will suspend your payment rather than close it. So once the contract is finished you don't have to re apply you just go back in and they start it back up again fairly quickly. Especially around Christmas time, I think they allow something like 12 weeks before the claim is closed as they know that Christmas contracts are only short term.

Oh that's good news so. Wasn't like that the last time I was on social welfare but that would have been a good while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Depends on the situation but generally no. The root causes of long-term unemployment are very complex but welfare fraud is wrong. Yes there's a paradox

The Raptor wrote: »
    I wanted to so many times. My mother used to have a cash in hand job and would expect housekeeping of me. While she turned around and supported my three grown brothers who didn't have to pay anything while they drank their wages and got handouts from my mother. If she didn't have her cash in hand job, she might just turn to my brothers for their bit. She made life hell for me if I questioned it or tried to stand up for myself but she turned around and refused to take keep of my brother who waved money in her face. He realised it wasn't free to feed him. There was something so wrong with how unfair it was but she would have made life hell for me if she knew i reported her. It wasn't worth reporting. It's still happening at home even though I'm gone. The brother left at home has no incentive to work. He has a job years ago but he left it, i think he realised he didn't have to work. He has a roof over his head, food and other things, including cigarettes provided for him. He got my sister to buy him a car one year, it was a cheap run down car that he apparently needed to get out of the village to get work. But it was to show off to his mates. His dole money for drink. I don't live there, it doesn't affect me but that whole situation was and is taking the mickey.

So you would report your own mother only for you're afraid?? Rotten attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Tasden wrote: »
    While I absolutely agree with you here (and I couldn't be a stay at he mother if you paid me because I'd go insane!), if their full time job is staying at home they are not entitled to claim jobseekers which is a payment for those looking for their full time job. If someone's intention is to remain at home to mind the kids then they shouldn't be claiming a payment for those genuinely looking for work.

Also in relation to the posts about rent being paid and the council house not being free, some would argue that if they are paying that rent from their social welfare payment as oppossed to from a wage, then it is a free house as the money they are receiving is "free money".

There was a campaign to extend the early childcare payment (?) to stay at home parents before the budget.

Its funny, this topic!
    A friend of mine(albeit not close any more due to following story) is a primary teacher and on baby number 6.....yes 6!! Cant remember the last time she did a year(and from what she told me, they plan their babies, yes they, her and the other female teachers in the school, to take best advantage of the leave, so much so its almost like they are on rotation. Bit of a joke among the parents at this stage)

Anyway, I was out of work after the recession hit for almost a year, despite every best effort.
    Really is a true saying....you get to know who your friends are.
    I had a lot of friends in the civil service, teachers, a nurse and ironically someone who worked for the DSP.
    I became a social outcast among them. I was ON THE DOLE!! URGH!!
    Jaysus, I nearly bought a bell :D
    Sly remarks made and all round general sense of disdain. Gave me a real insight into the folks who cant be sacked ;);)

Anyway, about 2 months before I recommenced employment, I was reported. Very unpleasant when you depend on the meagre amount received.
    I later was given, not a name but an indication, of who it was that likely reported me.
    They had somewhat of a reputation for it, didn't matter if you were genuine or not. They didn't like you.....reported and money stopped and they laughed about it.

What horrible friends, and what a horrible person who reported you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

pilly wrote: »

What's rotten about the attitude? Going against my mother? Never mind that she done everything for her boys but hated me as a daughter. You don't know what it was like living in a house like that, you never had a mother's love or support. Or that I'm afraid to report her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I'm amazed that people would have no problem ratting on people taking advantage of a system that doesn't work.
    Reporting people will not fix the system.
    It's also amazing that the people who have no problem reporting were more than likely no where to be seen during protests against this government that rip more people off and will continue to do so for years to pay bankers etc for their eff ups.
    All the people living off the social and earning a few Bob extra will NEVER rip us tax payers off to the extent our delightful government has and continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I'm amazed that people would have no problem ratting on people taking advantage of a system that doesn't work.
    It's also amazing that the people who have no problem reporting were more than likely no where to be seen during protests against this government that rip more people off and will continue to do so for years to pay bankers etc for their eff ups.
    All the people living off the social and earning a few Bob extra will NEVER rip us tax payers off to the extent our delightful government has and continue to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

pilly wrote: »

If she wanted to support her grown boys, she can but not expect others to do it. It wasn't my brothers fault for getting away without paying their share. My mother encouraged it and refused to take money of them. What was so wrong with getting a 450euro per week job and supporting them herself. It was what she was getting on the dole, cash in hand and housekeeping from myself and my sister.

And before someone says that I was trying to get away with a free ride as well, what was wrong with paying because obviously mammy did everything for me. I had to buy my own food and pay up for the bills as my housekeeping. My housekeeping money wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Unlikely. Things like that often come back to haunt you inadvertently

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Balls - that's whataboutery of the highest order.

A crime is a crime, and those who are scamming the social are reducing the amount in the pot for genuine cases. If you actually contributed to society and paid taxes, I'd imagine you would understand why people stealing public money meant as a leg up to the vulnerable is a problem for most people.

Do you report suspicions of tax fraud, cooking the books and/or violations in planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

No. I'm not a low life.

Leo goes to a conference on creating an inclusive labour market. Instead of contibuting something positive he puts the emphasis on 'spongers'. He's seen how successful Trump has been appealing to the deplorables. He's a smart cookie is Leo. Cynical, but smart.

idnkph wrote: »

I was wondering when the pious protester brigade would show up.

Unless it's about abolishing the USC (which is a tax on productivity), I have no interest in joining the crusty brigade. Generally the fact that they hold their protests at a time when I'm most likely working hard is something of a contributing factor, as is the fact that I once missed a flight because they decided to block traffic by sitting in front of cars in O'Connell Street during rush hour - another thing that makes me suspect that many of them have never worked a hard days graft in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Leo goes to a conference on creating an inclusive labour market. Instead of contibuting something positive he puts the emphasis on 'spongers'. He's seen how successful Trump has been appealing to the deplorables. He's a smart cookie is Leo. Cynical, but smart.
    Politicians appeal to their base. Just the same as AAA/PBP feed the entitlement culture we have.

Not everyone on the dole is a sponger, but that doesn't mean that there aren't spongers on the dole.

No. I'm not a low life.

What is "low life" about not being happy about people scamming welfare money, reducing the amount in the pot for genuine cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its money that could be going on childcare or more teachers,gardai etc.

• Advertisement

Foxhound38 wrote:
    I was wondering when the pious protester brigade would show up.

They have a point though, we've effectively legalised fraudulent behaviour in our financial systems, the fallout effects everybody negatively in particular the working classes

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    What is "low life" about not being happy about people scamming welfare money, reducing the amount in the pot for genuine cases?
    noodler wrote: »

I'll repeat "Do you report suspicions of tax fraud, cooking the books and/or violations in planning permission?"

The first two are examples of money lost which is far in excess of that lost by dole fiddling.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Politicians appeal to their base. Just the same as AAA/PBP feed the entitlement culture we have.

Not everyone on the dole is a sponger, but that doesn't mean that there aren't spongers on the dole.

There are scroungers on the dole but the focus on the problem correlates negatively to the proportion of people doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Yup, in a heartbeat. BTW OP the new "poor and downtrodden" are the ones who work all week and have fúck all disposable income left for themselves by the time the government has finished raping their salaries in order to pay for their dole.

It could. Though one might observe that it could be going on more public sector pay, more towards bank debts and so on. Either way, it's money that of course should not be paid out, I just don't see myself as part of the detection process needed to assist those in the public sector paid to detect it.

If we make bad teachers more sack-able it will mean more money for those who need it.

OldNotWIse wrote:
    Yup, in a heartbeat. BTW OP the new "poor and downtrodden" are the ones who work all week and have fúck all disposable income left for themselves by the time the government has finished raping their salaries in order to pay for SW.

It's a lot more complicated than that

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yup, in a heartbeat. BTW OP the new "poor and downtrodden" are the ones who work all week and have fúck all disposable income left for themselves by the time the government has finished raping their salaries in order to pay for their dole.

And they're the working classes of our society but you cannot blame the dole for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Social Welfare is there to help people who need help. Most people at some point in their lives will go through some kind of difficulty work wise whether it is being out of work sick, being unemployed or made redundant. The SW is there to help those people. But if you've got a guy/girl who chooses to remain unemployed or 'fiddle' the system then of course he/she should be reported.

As far as I'm concerned he/she is stealing money from the state which could be put to other uses such as carers allowance, the elderly, etc. In other words it could be given to help those who really need it.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote:
    If we make bad teachers more sack-able it will mean more money for those who need it.

I 've always liked Chomskys use of the word, 'worker insecurity'

Advertisement