Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a dole scammer?

Options

Comments

Alun wrote: »
    What's worse is that one of them, Conor74, is apparently a solicitor IRL.

Hadn't seen this until now.

As a Solicitor I know my obligation to report, when a client hands me money that I believe is the proceeds of crime, when a transaction I am involved in involves fraud such as under the counter payments etc. But otherwise my duty is to my client and, save in very limited circumstances, I am bound by a duty of discretion and confidentiality.

And all of that is far from a suggestion that I should report suspicions about my neighbour's income. I am a Solicitor, I am not a social welfare inspector or planning officer, and I am not their agent either. I am my client's agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont have a problem with someone doing a small job just to boost up the dole. i would do it myself.
    people are outraged at the ir tax is paying for this but the person probably paid enough tax themselfs to cover it.

if paddy the painter gets an extra 100 euro a week what does he do with it, he spends it in the local shops , pubs,resturants, hairdresssers,etc.

my problem is all the big shots that are on hundreds of thousands that are taking the money out of the country

i dont have a problem with someone doing a small job just to boost up the dole. i would do it myself.
    people are outraged at the ir tax is paying for this but the person probably paid enough tax themselfs to cover it.

if paddy the painter gets an extra 100 euro a week what does he do with it, he spends it in the local shops , pubs,resturants, hairdresssers,etc.

my problem is all the big shots that are on hundreds of thousands that are taking the money out of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think the current laws are in order ie. to prevent serious crime where the citizen believes the perp will evade detection if not arrested.

But for scams such a dole fraud, inappropriate and again would remind me too much of a Stasi like society where people were encouraged to become an arm of the State and police their neighbours. A very ugly society where behaviour was motivated by fear and simple acts carried out in secret.

But the Austrian-type citizen non-involvement that you prefer makes it easier for people such as Josef Fritzl to operate.
    Would your principle also apply in this case, that it's up to the police (state) to detect cases such as his?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Yes!!! Why should you or I anyone else work and paying a good chunk of your wages in tax and prsi and there's people laughing at us and the system. They probably have a medical card too where as we've to pay €50 to see a doctor. I would report it no bother.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    But the Austrian-type citizen non-involvement that you prefer makes it easier for people such as Josef Fritzl to operate.
    Would your principle also apply in this case, that it's up to the police (state) to detect cases such as his?

Oh no, I'd report kidnap, detention in a cellar and rape over years alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Only over years? That's messed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

A lot of long term unemployed either have a mental illness or are scumbags, who will never work or fit in a work environment.

Others are mothers with children given a practically free house and thing been a full time Mum is a job should be f**ked off the dole.

People doing the odd nixer here or there is grand if there genuinely looking for work.

People working full time and claiming the dole really pisses me off. I know a few.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm of a right-wing persuasion and I would be of the view that some poor bastard stuck in the dole rut earning a few extra tenners on the side so he and his family can live half-decently at least occasionally should be left to it.

It all depends on the situation really. Is the guilty party living it up on a full wage and the 188? Or does he need to earn the bit extra to keep a roof over his and his family's head? Id gladly rat on the former if they pushed the situation but id have sympathy on the latter.

Only over years? That's messed up

No, I'd report it as soon as I came into the info that it had or was taking place. I wasn't suggesting I'd turn a blind eye for the first 5 or 10 years and then decide enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jodotman wrote: »
    Others are mothers with children given a practically free house and thing been a full time Mum is a job should be f**ked off the dole.

while i do know the type of people you are talking about, most stay at home mothers are interested in parenting their children, so it will be a full time job.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

a

while i do know the type of people you are talking about, most stay at home mothers are interested in parenting their children, so it will be a full time job.

An important one. If they don't do their best it will cause problems down the line, not just for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

a

And you should add to this, theres no such thing as a free house, regardless of what certain simpletons think, even a single mother with one child in council accommodation pays rent, regardless of how little, they still pay Rent

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

No, on the condition that they cut me a small percentage of their 'earnings' to maintain my silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No, on the condition that they cut me a small percentage of their 'earnings' to maintain my silence.

You're a bit late Jim, there's a 65th of a percent going at the minute according to this thread

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

The 3 day week thing is a bit crap too. If you work 12 hours a day for 3 days of the week you can still claim a reduced dole but if you work 1 hour a day, 4 days a week you can claim nothing. Some people I know who work in retail have been caught out by this when they might be given 4 x 4 hour shifts a week so that they cannot claim a 3 day week or claim FIS which has a minimum of 38 hours per fortnight.

In this kind of situation I wouldn't report them. It pretty much comes down to if they are trying to improve their situation or not.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    You are leaving out some important information: your father was refused dole because he failed the means-test - ie he was too rich.

Depends, means don't necessarily make you rich. If you are employed they only count a percentage of that as means while if it is from another source then you could find yourself over the limit and get nothing despite getting something if the income was under another name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a
    uch wrote: »
    And you should add to this, theres no such thing as a free house, regardless of what certain simpletons think, even a single mother with one child in council accommodation pays rent, regardless of how little, they still pay Rent

absolutely correct.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

What about women who are widowed?
    What about women who stayed at home to raise their kids & the father decided to Feck off and leave them?
    What about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

a

absolutely correct.

From free money. I wouldn't class it as rent. Are they paying 1100 a month for somewhere decent to live?
    bubblypop wrote: »
    What about women who are widowed?
    What about women who stayed at home to raise their kids & the father decided to Feck off and leave them?
    What about them?

Widowed - no problem with that.
    Father fecked off? Well thats the womens fault. Have a stable income before having kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

I've just remembered. A boyfriend of mine was on the dole years ago. He'd been self employed for a while and signed on when work dried up. His money was cut off at one point because according to the Social Welfare people he had been working while drawing the dole. He had not been working at all. I never found out who reported him falsely.
    Please be absolutely certain of your facts if you really think you must report someone.

Its funny, this topic!
    A friend of mine(albeit not close any more due to following story) is a primary teacher and on baby number 6.....yes 6!! Cant remember the last time she did a year(and from what she told me, they plan their babies, yes they, her and the other female teachers in the school, to take best advantage of the leave, so much so its almost like they are on rotation. Bit of a joke among the parents at this stage)

Anyway, I was out of work after the recession hit for almost a year, despite every best effort.
    Really is a true saying....you get to know who your friends are.
    I had a lot of friends in the civil service, teachers, a nurse and ironically someone who worked for the DSP.
    I became a social outcast among them. I was ON THE DOLE!! URGH!!
    Jaysus, I nearly bought a bell :D
    Sly remarks made and all round general sense of disdain. Gave me a real insight into the folks who cant be sacked ;);)

Anyway, about 2 months before I recommenced employment, I was reported. Very unpleasant when you depend on the meagre amount received.
    I later was given, not a name but an indication, of who it was that likely reported me.
    They had somewhat of a reputation for it, didn't matter if you were genuine or not. They didn't like you.....reported and money stopped and they laughed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm of a right-wing persuasion and I would be of the view that some poor bastard stuck in the dole rut earning a few extra tenners on the side so he and his family can live half-decently at least occasionally should be left to it.

Especially when you see how Leo and his ilk can be awarded pay rises of thousands per year! That combined with a 'turning up to work' allowance, as well as other expenses - as far as I am concerned, that is the great scandal. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't get why people on this forum are so eager to appear as uptight and nosy as possible. It's like a forum full of Dot Cottons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What about those on line parents allowance who live with their partner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

From free money. I wouldn't class it as rent. Are they paying 1100 a month for somewhere decent to live?

Widowed - no problem with that.
    Father fecked off? Well thats the womens fault. Have a stable income before having kids.

It's the woman's fault that a father abandons his family?
    You, my friend, are a piece of work. It's people like you that allow psychos like Trump to become world leaders.

Clampdown wrote: »
    It's the woman's fault that a father abandons his family?
    You, my friend, are a piece of work. It's people like you that allow psychos like Trump to become world leaders.

I think that he means that the wife became too dependant on the husband. When that husband left she had no way to feed herself

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes I would

As Cilla Black herself said surpriseeee surpriseee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

While I absolutely agree with you here (and I couldn't be a stay at he mother if you paid me because I'd go insane!), if their full time job is staying at home they are not entitled to claim jobseekers which is a payment for those looking for their full time job. If someone's intention is to remain at home to mind the kids then they shouldn't be claiming a payment for those genuinely looking for work.

Also in relation to the posts about rent being paid and the council house not being free, some would argue that if they are paying that rent from their social welfare payment as oppossed to from a wage, then it is a free house as the money they are receiving is "free money".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't get why people on this forum are so eager to appear as uptight and nosy as possible. It's like a forum full of Dot Cottons.

Likely some sense of anger in their own life directed at the bottom rung of problems in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Nah I'm not a rat.

If it's a stranger, none of my business.

If it's a friend or family, I'd express concern that they'll eventually might be caught and have to bare the consequences.

That's it, I wouldn't have an interest in actively seeking to make someone's life harder even if they are taking the piss.

They're piss takers in my job but the way I see it, they only get away with what they can. I blame the system for allowing it more than the individual. Same with welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I wanted to so many times. My mother used to have a cash in hand job and would expect housekeeping of me. While she turned around and supported my three grown brothers who didn't have to pay anything while they drank their wages and got handouts from my mother. If she didn't have her cash in hand job, she might just turn to my brothers for their bit. She made life hell for me if I questioned it or tried to stand up for myself but she turned around and refused to take keep of my brother who waved money in her face. He realised it wasn't free to feed him. There was something so wrong with how unfair it was but she would have made life hell for me if she knew i reported her. It wasn't worth reporting. It's still happening at home even though I'm gone. The brother left at home has no incentive to work. He has a job years ago but he left it, i think he realised he didn't have to work. He has a roof over his head, food and other things, including cigarettes provided for him. He got my sister to buy him a car one year, it was a cheap run down car that he apparently needed to get out of the village to get work. But it was to show off to his mates. His dole money for drink. I don't live there, it doesn't affect me but that whole situation was and is taking the mickey.

Advertisement