Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is snooker a real sport?

Options

Comments

frag420 wrote: »
    Is it fúck!!

If you can play it in a pub then it's not a sport!

If your two year old can play it in the garden, it's not a sport.. The logic means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It's a game. Like darts or golf.

Why the need to classify them as a sport? Many sports do not require the skill and concentration levels of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Aphex wrote: »
    Yep, and rightly so. Think he's broke these days.

I reckon that unless he does a phenomenal amount of practicing to become a darts player his sports days are over... Higgins should've got banned too if you ask me but he's a legend of the game so that always looked unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

GerB40 wrote: »
    I reckon that unless he does a phenomenal amount of practicing to become a darts player his sports days are over... Higgins should've got banned too if you ask me but he's a legend of the game so that always looked unlikely.

I'd say he'd make a buck or two at Sumo!

Not sure of the whole Higgins thing, but did it not turn out that he was kinda entrapped to pay up somehow and was just agreeing for the sake of getting out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Darts is essentially the same throwing motion over and over at the same distance, just changing angles (at times). Snooker is changing angles at every single shot, changing distances at every shot ,changing the motion of the cue (top spin, backspin, swerve), using extra devices (rest), tactically accounting for your opponent. Players have picked up darts and turned semi professional or even professional within 2-4 years. I dont think theres a snooker professional alive that wasnt playing regularly in his pre teens, although I could be wrong on that.
    Aye apologies if darts v snooker is OT. I haven't watched snooker regularly in a long time and I can't account for the youth uptake but you're spot on about the late-comers in darts. That said I think you're hugely underplaying the difficulty in darts. It's a psychological experiment at times. For example missing a double 10 has broken some of the best players I've ever seen. You have to rectify mistakes (if you get the chance) within a couple of seconds. The crowd are ruthless and put off even the greatest of all time. Also when has wind ever been a factor in snooker :pac:

• Advertisement

K4t wrote: »
    It's a game. Like darts or golf.

Why the need to classify them as a sport? Many sports do not require the skill and concentration levels of games.

All three are sports. Whatever a out the debate over snooker or darts there can be absolutely no doubt whatsoever over golf. It's as much as sport as soccer or rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Golf is just darts for the upper middle class

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ah it's a sport alright. Requires as much game management as other sports.

Remembering the first time I saw a snooker table after a moderately successful teenage pool career, I knew this was a step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

A sport doesn't need to have too much athleticism. The sport is in the competition which makes drinking games a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Some say snooker is boring to watch. try playing it, its a game/sport of strategy and when you're an amateur in the snooker hall, it and pool can be fun as well. Hands up who has had that unintended funny fluke shot a few times in a frame, it would bring a smile even to the most miserable face ever! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Aphex wrote: »
    Yep, and rightly so. Think he's broke these days.

Yeah he's on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Played All-Ireland snooker at underage level, couldn't care if people don't see it as a sport.

Its takes great mentality and natural ability to become just half decent, playing 7 or 8 frames against someone your equal can be mentally draining!!

Quality game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saying darts is a sport is like saying Jenga is a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cienciano wrote: »
    Saying darts is a sport is like saying Jenga is a sport.

Giant Jenga certainly works the cardiovascular system. There's competition, skill, finesse and even a good stretch involved too.

Ergo, by the criteria established by naysers in this thread. Darts is a sport.

c_man wrote: »
    Well this week being the Masters and all, I've been loving it. Chill out in the evenings, maybe a small smoke, and switch to Eurosport when the BBC finishes their coverage. But then I've got a workmate bitching about it, like saying it shouldn't be on the sports section of the news, it isn't a real sport etc. So what say you AH?

Depends on your definition of "sport". I think it is a shame we have this one word "sport" for such a diverse collection of sports. Whether you are Lawn Bowling or engages in MMA fighting this is all "sport".

Perhaps you should worry less about whether this - or that - is a "sport" - and simply allow yourself to be awe struck by people who are masters in their field.

The word "sport" means nothing to me. But when I see someone hit a tiny golf ball into a hole from a distance I am tired to even WALK in the morning - or I see a snooker player demonstrate Newtonian logic at every angle of a table when I have trouble even seeing them as spheres when I get down on the cue - or people who have a tiny pointy blade who can throw it across a room bigger than my house and land it in the "bullseye" or "ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY" on command. I have long given up on the word "sport". But I will never give up on observation of people who excel in all walks of life.

"Sport" for me is just our way of displaying what our species is capable of :)

On a different note though - snooker is the one sport that taught me how to be a sportsman.

I remember a year - the year I can tell you not - when Jimmy White had reached the final - a number of times - shall we say.

And I remember him getting down on the white (oo err) - and he was MANY frames ahead at the time -

- and Jimmy got up - without a cry from Stephen Hendry. And without a Cry from the referee.

And he just said "I touched the white with my cue - sorry".

And he went on to LOSE the final. So this anecdote is not going to teach you anything about honesty.

But my love of Jimmy White was sealed that night. To admit to a foul - that no one else saw - in a world where people like Rinaldo find a way to trip over a PAINTED white line. That moment sealed the way I want to live my life. Snooker a sport? I do not know. But it taught me something about "sport(hu)manship"- Jimmy White taught me something - that I take with me like a lost baby takes a blankie. And I hold on to it tight.

You see pro golfers also calling a foul on themselves. There's a code of honour in these sports, something that's long lost in other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Read the first two pages and skipped to the last for a continuation of yes it is,no its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Masturbation requires exertion and concentration...game or sport?

Dunno how it would work as a league though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Anything that has tournaments, trophies, winners and losers is a sport, I would have thought, leaving dictionary definitions aside. Never thought people based it on how much energy you burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Darts are labelled a "sport" yet every "pro" who plays seems to be a fat drunk with a pint in their hand.

Darts are labelled a "sport" yet every "pro" who plays seems to be a fat drunk with a pint in their hand.

Darts is serious business these days and some of the younger crew have a new ethos, look at guys like Kim Hybrechts or James Wade in the PDC, men who are in shape. Over at the BDO you have guys like Wesley Harms and Jeffery De Graaf. These men hit the gym every morning as Vassos Alexander revealed recently when commentating for BBC on Lakeside.

Big money to be made out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You obviously haven't watched professional darts in a good few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

You see pro golfers also calling a foul on themselves. There's a code of honour in these sports, something that's long lost in other games.

Its easier to be more sporting in a non contact sport where the referee has no influence other than to count the score.I definitely wouldn't be willing to call a foul on myself, in soccer, gaa, rugby etc when the referee probably doesn't award loads of fouls per game that might have cost your team already.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

My wife never understands me when I tell her that some the finest athletes in the world compete at the Lakeside every year.

Snooker and darts are both sports.

Todays final is going to be a cracker. Im glad Ronnie is out. I seem to have gone off him after the school fees comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Its more of a giant board game than a sport really.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Del2005 wrote: »
    Can it be a sport where the equipment has a bigger impact than the person ,same for horse events?

Horses are not 'equipment'. I could drive an F1 car once shown but I could never ride any of the top horses from any equestrian sport. Horses will develop a relationship with a rider and not perform for an equally good rider. Unlike a car or any other 'equipment'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Dunford wrote: »
    My wife never understands me when I tell her that some the finest athletes in the world compete at the Lakeside every year.

Snooker and darts are both sports.

Todays final is going to be a cracker. Im glad Ronnie is out. I seem to have gone off him after the school fees comment.

Calling it a sport is pushing it, calling them athletes is a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

:D
    Areyouwell wrote: »
    At the very least, I'd say you'd need medication.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Americans call it Snucker.

Advertisement