Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is snooker a real sport?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

no, and neither is golf, chess, darts or "e-sports"

imo sport should be anything that is physical/brings up the heart rate/makes you sweat etc

and thats not just my opinion! :O

oxford dictionary, sport = 1An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

idk what darts/snooker etc should be..but it aint sport.

Does a golf ball propel itself 300 yards forward or do snooker balls pot themselves? No, they get there as a result of the physical exertion of the participants.

Snooker and golf involve far less exertion than long distance running for example but they involve infinitely more skill. Sport is about exertion, skill & competition. Some sports are low on exertion & high on skill while other sports are the complete opposite.

The problem with F1 as a sport is that the result is almost entirely determined by who has the best car so that the individual drivers championship competition really shouldn't exist at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

RayM wrote: »
    I like snooker, but I couldn't give a damn whether it's a 'real sport' or not. I've never understood the mindset that seeks to diminish snooker (or darts, golf or F1) on the grounds that they aren't 'real sports'.

Darts should be diminished on the grounds that it's pure dreck. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I think some people think sport involves sweaty people running around etc.

Of course it's a sport and it takes a lot more still than MANY sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

I left my oul lad's house earlier today with him in watching snooker as happy as Larry. He phoned me half an hour later to say he needed a lift as he wrecked his jeep trying to se how far it would go up a hill in the ice in 2-wheel drive.

The question is; does Barry Hearn need to do more to put the excitement back in snooker or is my Dad an idiot?

Your dad is an idiot!

How far did his jeep go up a hill in the ice in 2-wheel drive? I'm gonna try beat his record :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    F1 is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world. Snooker is a game, not a sport. Same as golf, chess, darts, snakes and ladders etc

....Can't tell if completely clueless or just pig ignorant. . . .

arggghhh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Not sure but Ronnie o Sullivan's 147 in 5 minutes is one of the most impressive things I've seen a person do.Sounds like an insignificant feat but the difficulty in doing what he done is mind boggling.the level of forethought that needs to go into every shot to get a 147 is immense and he managed to do it in a little over 300 seconds.amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

http://i.imgur.com/Bh2Abxl.jpg

Therefor soccer = not a sport going by the logic of some here

And now the video of him actually competing in the sport to the same level while smoking the cigarette, as not, rather than having a sneaky one whilst he is not involved?

Come now, my friend...

What is next? The proof that petrol is not flammable, consisting of someone lighting a candle, on a boat, 2 miles out to sea, but with a petroleum processing plant captured on the coastline in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

callaway92 wrote: »
    ....Can't tell if completely clueless or just pig ignorant. . . .

arggghhh!!

Ye I'm the only one thinking that here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's a s much a sport as Golf is. So if you class golf as a sport then snooker and darts are too.
    I don't class any of them as sports, they are pastimes, or hobbys

All sports can be pastimes or hobbies for people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

frag420 wrote: »
    Is it fúck!!

If you can play it in a pub then it's not a sport!

I'll stop playing rugby in the pub then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

strobe wrote: »
    And now the video of him actually competing in the sport to the same level while smoking the cigarette, as not, rather than having a sneaky one whilst he is not involved?

Come now, my friend...

What is next? The proof that petrol is not flammable, consisting of someone lighting a candle, on a boat, 2 miles out to sea, but with a petroleum processing plant captured on the coastline in the background?

But you need two hands free to play snooker and darts. You could smoke the cigar while you aren't actively playing, the same as that goal keeper. It would probably be easier to smoke while chasing a ball around a pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

working mens sports are not real:rolleyes:

I left my oul lad's house earlier today with him in watching snooker as happy as Larry. He phoned me half an hour later to say he needed a lift as he wrecked his jeep trying to se how far it would go up a hill in the ice in 2-wheel drive.

The question is; does Barry Hearn need to do more to put the excitement back in snooker or is my Dad an idiot?

Has your Dad ever watched 'power snooker? it's one of Hearns innovations where the players have 20 seconds to take each shot, this is reduced to 10 after 5 mins of the frame. The crowd are also allowed to shout, drink alcohol and be lary. Loads of 'go on my san' etc

Not my cup of tea though I like best of order from the audience and despise business men trying to exploit a wonderful sport with cheap gimmicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

working mens sports are not real:rolleyes:

It's all in our imagination isn't it.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    But you need two hands free to play snooker and darts. You could smoke the cigar while you aren't actively playing, the same as that goal keeper. It would probably be easier to smoke while chasing a ball around a pitch

Jocky Wilson used to be able to throw with a fag in his holding hand (not throwing). I've seen old clips of Bristow doing likewise.

You do not. As I have proved many times. Darts is entirely one handed, and snooker players can very easily (before these things were striken from televisation) hold a cigar in their bridge hand whist taking a shot.

Do not tempt me to say 'come now, my friend' to you too. 'Cause I'll do it, ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

you absolutely do not need 2 hands for darts!

you absolutely do not need 2 hands for darts!

Well you need to hold the darts somewhere, usually your other hand. I don't smoke so maybe it is easy enough to hold a fag at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Well you need to hold the darts somewhere, usually your other hand. I don't smoke so maybe it is easy enough to hold a fag at the same time.
    lol holding darts is difficult now XD.
    umm, how hard is it to hold a pen?

I've seen a smoker hold a fag, pick up their phone with the same hand..answer..put it down..continue smoking.

I've seen smokers do diy/building work..while still smoking >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

strobe wrote: »

Come now, my friend...

The picture posted of the golfer smoking wasn't swinging a club while at it.

Someone contended that it's not a sport if you can have a cigarette while 'taking part', the goalie is as much 'taking part' as the golfer is

A load of cricketers were famous for smoking during matches back in the day. David Boon for example... there's a good chance he was pissed drunk most of the time too.

• Advertisement

lol holding darts is difficult now XD.
    umm, how hard is it to hold a pen?

I've seen a smoker hold a fag, pick up their phone with the same hand..answer..put it down..continue smoking.

I've seen smokers do diy/building work..while still smoking >.>

No I don't mean holding darts is difficult, obviously. Just thought it might be awkward to hold a smoke at the same time.

It doesn't matter though because darts and snooker are both sports, regardless of smoking, which at least in the case of snooker, you can't do whilst actively participating in the sport, ie taking your shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

depends how the word sport is defined

The picture posted of the golfer smoking wasn't swinging a club while at it.

Someone contended that it's not a sport if you can have a cigarette while 'taking part', the goalie is as much 'taking part' as the golfer is

A load of cricketers were famous for smoking during matches back in the day. David Boon for example... there's a good chance he was pissed drunk most of the time too.

I'm convinced. Everything is how you say it is. Nicely played.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

In fairness this afternoon's match was tedious to watch. They both played woefully. Even Mark Allen (who eventually won 6-4) said he couldn't believe the crowd stayed for the entire match! I don't know what happened to them, they both played really well in their first round matches but neither seemed able to pot a ball today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I quite enjoy watching the darts on SKY Sports over the Christmas/New Year. It's fast-paced, exciting, great atmosphere, good colour commentary, and there can be no doubting the skill of the players. One of the SKY Sports executives was saying it's the 2nd most watched sport on their channels after soccer. So it's popular as well.

Find snooker to be a tedious affair to watch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I admire snooker over darts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Darts is very Chavvy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I like playing it - badly - but I hate watching it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

like chess but at a higher speed.

reminds me of cycling when i watch it. its a slow burner but very interesting to watch. whenever ronnie is playing as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

c_man wrote: »
    Well this week being the Masters and all, I've been loving it. Chill out in the evenings, maybe a small smoke, and switch to Eurosport when the BBC finishes their coverage. But then I've got a workmate bitching about it, like saying it shouldn't be on the sports section of the news, it isn't a real sport etc. So what say you AH?

Yes it is,smash his face with a cue.Just because its non contact doesn't make it any less of a sport.

Advertisement