Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis withdrawal worse than heroin

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

There is no tobacco in a joint. You're talking about a spliff. A joint is all marijuana. A blunt is also all marijuana rolled with cigar skins.

Well I'm not going to change the nomenclature because we don't go to the extravagance of smoking it like that. Here, we call them joints and they have tobacco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've lived with a chronic weed smoker, who'd get up at 7am and have two joints before going to work. He was paranoid, moody, aggressive, constantly looking for fights, over small insignificant things. He would flip the lid, lose the rag and hit me for NOTHING. It was at the stage where I wouldn't say anything to him so as not to antagonise him but he'd find something to go loopy over.

My cousins boyfriend is the same, paranoid and angry.

Before I moved away from the person I lived with, I spoke to a guard I was friends with who told me he heard that a lot, people being okay and becoming more aggressive once they start on the weed.

I know the usual people will be on here, defending weed, saying its harmless, saying it wasn't the weed causing the aggression but it was. He was fine, a completely different person before getting goofed off his mallet first thing in the mornings

You can't blame weed for this, not defending it in anyway, but I guess anyone with a different perspective will be viewed as a goofed stoner, so I won't bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm not havin that.

I saw Trainspotting and yer man Tommy was grand until he started that heroin lark.

The odd joint here and there was no problem and he could tape himself ridin his missus away to his knob's content.

Then he took up the ould heroin and got hooked.

Then got poisoned by a kitten.

Then he died like.

So now for ya.

The kitten is fine though.

he contracted HIV which progressed to AIDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Lalealynn

No it isn't.

Is it worse than not giving it up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Roquentin wrote: »

Well there you go.

Sharing a joint doesn't give you HIV.

Sharing needles does.

There was something about a kitten too though. Wasn't there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

JJJJNR wrote: »
    You can't blame weed for this, not defending it in anyway, but I guess anyone with a different perspective will be viewed as a goofed stoner, so I won't bother.

I absolutely can blame the weed for this as it was responsible for MANY black eyes and MANY broken bones, it wasn't a one time thing.
    I knew him very well before he got in on weed and he wasn't an aggressive asshole. Then he smoked it, and he was.

If he was coming home drunk and beating me up I'd be saying he was an alcoholic and abusive with drink in him.

Weed isn't harmless. Just because it doesn't affect someone doesn't mean it doesn't cause another person to turn skitzo and influct domestic abuse onto someone who does not deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Roquentin wrote: »

The kitten was OK though, or no?

Sweating bullets here, pls confirm.

i concur that some people are just not cut out for weed. i knew a guy in secondary school. this is ages ago now. he was very quiet and sort of introverted, but highly intelligent academically. We think he was autistic or something. anyway he started smoking weed and became extremely paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I am pie wrote: »

That film is 20 years old. The kitten is fiukkin' dead now, one way or the other.

Lapin wrote: »
    Well there you go.

Sharing a joint doesn't give you HIV.

Sharing needles does.

There was something about a kitten too though. Wasn't there?

because of the AIDS his immune system was depleted and he died of toxiplasmosis i think, which a normal immune system would kill of. yea nice kitten though

• Advertisement

cats can get cat HIV, but its different to the human strain.....yes the kitten was put up for adoption, found a family, got married and lived a merry auld life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Lalealynn

I've lived with a chronic weed smoker, who'd get up at 7am and have two joints before going to work. He was paranoid, moody, aggressive, constantly looking for fights, over small insignificant things. He would flip the lid, lose the rag and hit me for NOTHING. It was at the stage where I wouldn't say anything to him so as not to antagonise him but he'd find something to go loopy over.

Before I moved away from the person I lived with, I spoke to a guard I was friends with who told me he heard that a lot, people being okay and becoming more aggressive once they start on the weed.

I know the usual people will be on here, defending weed, saying its harmless, saying it wasn't the weed causing the aggression but it was. He was fine, a completely different person before getting goofed off his mallet first thing in the mornings

I don't smoke it never have and I don't defend it.

But I do know people who react to it as you describe. But I also know people who smoke who are nothing like that.

I do think if you refuse to accept the substance you use can be harmful there is an issue. But it can't be compared to heroin.

I did have an ex who blamed a lot of his **** on cannabis or other drug withdrawals though maybe I'm naive.

Certainly I know people who smoke who are ok too though. But they don't take it lightly though. They don't think they are invincible. I think there is an arrogance in some drug users and some staunchly anti drugs people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

There is no tobacco in a joint. You're talking about a spliff. A joint is all marijuana. A blunt is also all marijuana rolled with cigar skins.

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Then weed obviously didn't suit him. Substitute alcohol for weed and the same thing can be said.

Bottom line is, certain people should not take any intoxicants, that includes caffeine, alcohol, weed, etc. It effects everyone differently, and only by trying will someone know. What people like this need are friends who straight up say what they're like while under the influenceand try to help them off it. If they don't want help, then let them off.

Lets say everything drug related was legal, and as a group people came together to decide which ones to make illegal. I would nearly guarantee that weed would be left legal, and alcohol made illegal. But that wouldn't work anyway, prohibition doesn't work.

I also had someone tell me that they'd prefer if their kids were on heroin before weed. Yes really. We nearly came to a physical altercation over it. He just wouldn't listen to sense, and has the most warped view of weed i've ever encountered.

If we made alcohol illegal and marijuana legal there could possibly be a lot more positives from a law enforcement point of view at least. People going out would either be relaxed due to smoking or they'd be sober and a lot more respectful to everyone around them as opposed to the same people who may be notorious pricks while drunk. No more money wasted on unnecessary raids or arrests over a plant unless there was a significant black market. No more retards picking fights in and outside clubs because they get a heightened sense of how hard they are while drunk. Walking through puke and piss filled streets and stepping on empty cans and broken glass would be almost non existent. In general people would either be forced to rely on their social skills while sober which would help them progress positively as an individual or otherwise they'd still be easy going and relaxed while smoking. Take always, especially pizza shops, would probably experience a boom lol.

I'm not saying it'd cause a perfect society, because it wouldn't, but I can definitely see the possible benefits if there was more awareness and education either gained through school or everyone doing their own research and coming to their own conclusions about whether they want to take part or not.

karma_ wrote: »
    Well I'm not going to change the nomenclature because we don't go to the extravagance of smoking it like that. Here, we call them joints and they have tobacco.

Here, as in Ireland, everyone I know calls them spliffs like I explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

1 in 10 become addicted? That's 90% that don't become addicted at all, then. That sounds perfectly reasonable. You can become addicted to anything really.

And it's a mind altering substance. I don't think anyone is suggesting that any mind altering substance is a good idea for everyone all of the time. Just don't persecute the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fucktards be Fucktards.
    Blaming the cannabis is a cop out.
    If it wasn't the cannabis, it'd be the alcohol.
    If it wasn't the alcohol, it'd be the fizzy drinks.
    If it wasn't the fizzy drinks, it'd be the video games.
    If it wasn't the video games, it'd be the video nasties.
    If it wasn't the video nasties, it'd be the rock n roll music..........

Repeat until you start to sound like your ould wan.
    Lalealynn wrote: »
    For anyone out there doing it. HUGS xxx never give up giving up! You got this.

Thanks......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If it was a chronic alcoholic it'd be the same thing. Chronic anything is bad. What those people are doing is abusing a drug.

I'm fine with 2 or 3 pints and I'm fine with 2 or 3 spliffs. But I won't drink or smoke again the next day and tbh I prefer to enjoy these things as a treat rather than a habit. It loses it's quality if you abuse it.

It could also be that your former roommate was just a ****ing asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

kneemos wrote: »
    Daily users definitely seem to have an addiction from what I've seen of them.

I've been smoking more or less daily since 1994,Apart from the occasional drought.I've never experienced any withdrawal symptoms, ever.People coming off heroin get a really bad flu and a severe case of the scutters for up to a month, and that's just the physical part.The mental scars can last a lifetime for many ex users.Story is total bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Cannabis is less addictive than caffeine and has fewer withdrawal symptoms.

http://druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/basicfax5.htm

Also, alcohol withdrawl is worse than heroin and cocaine.
    The tables listed below show the rankings given for each of the drugs. Overall, their evaluations for the drugs are very consistent. It is notable that marijuana ranks below caffeine in most addictive criteria, while alcohol and tobacco are near the top of the scale in many areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Make it legal, create safer ways (i.e. less tobacco) ways of enjoying it, generate revenue, develop safe dosage limits, etc etc etc.

Uruguay is still standing last time I looked over the water here, pretty sure Montevideo hasn't been overcome by hoards of violent zombies.

• Advertisement

I absolutely can blame the weed for this as it was responsible for MANY black eyes and MANY broken bones, it wasn't a one time thing.
    I knew him very well before he got in on weed and he wasn't an aggressive asshole. Then he smoked it, and he was.

If he was coming home drunk and beating me up I'd be saying he was an alcoholic and abusive with drink in him.

Weed isn't harmless. Just because it doesn't affect someone doesn't mean it doesn't cause another person to turn skitzo and influct domestic abuse onto someone who does not deserve it.

Weed is harmless in the right hands, if someone can't handle it they shouldn't try it, or continue to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The kitten want on to further its acting career.

Last role was in Love Hate. Episode 1 series 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Same with football!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2216636/Domestic-violence-rises-England-win-lose-big-football-matches.html

Everything is dangerous!

Domestic violence and abuse is the lowest of the low, no one should have to go through it.

Hope things are going OK with you now.

While we are on the subject of domestic violence.........
    Husbands and wives who frequently smoke cannabis are less likely to engage in domestic violence than those who consume the drug less regularly, a new study has suggested.

Researchers from Yale University, University of Buffalo and Rutgers followed 634 married couples for nine years.
    They found that when couples used cannabis three times or more each month reported the lowest number domestic violence incidents (intimate partner violence) over the first nine years of marriage.

The study concluded that the more often both spouses smoked cannabis, the less likely they were to engage in domestic violence.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/married-couples-who-smoke-cannabis-together-are-less-likely-to-engage-in-domestic-violence-9693772.html

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

I've been smoking more or less daily since 1994,Apart from the occasional drought.I've never experienced any withdrawal symptoms, ever.People coming off heroin get a really bad flu and a severe case of the scutters for up to a month, and that's just the physical part.The mental scars can last a lifetime for many ex users.Story is total bs

If you have been smoking almost every day how could you comment on withdrawal symptoms?try 2 weeks off and then tell us how you feel/felt?

Does smoking affect someone's ability to form reasoned arguments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Where can you leave cannabis on deposit and why is it so hard to get it back?

Where can you leave cannabis on deposit and why is it so hard to get it back?

Joint accounts need two signatories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

daUbiq wrote: »
    If you have been smoking almost every day how could you comment on withdrawal symptoms?try 2 weeks off and then tell us how you feel/felt?

Does smoking affect someone's ability to form reasoned arguments?

Not when it comes to arguing for the legalisation of weed it doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Honestly, it's weird because I always see people get very defensive and tetchy when it comes to this particular habit. I understand they feel victimised because it's illegal but there's no need for them to lash out at everyone who doesn't agree it's not totally harmless.

"Hey I read an article saying smoking cannabis has some harmful effects."

"Oh yeah?! What about people getting pissed off their heads on booze every Saturday night? What about them?"

"No, yeah, that's bad too. But... I'm... I'm talking about something else."

Advertisement