Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did the truck get stuck under Amiens St bridge yesterday (Fri)

• 16-03-2019 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Anyone know how the truck got stuck under Amiens St railway bridge on Friday? It looks to me from the pictures like it's not a straightforward case of the truck being too tall for the bridge. Double deck buses pass under that bridge all the time. The bridge clearance is 4.69m, which is higher than the max legal height for any vehicle (4.65m). I suspect the truck somehow tilted before it hit the bridge. Could be partly caused by the storm? Or a combination of wind and swerving to avoid something?

Obviously I don't want anyone saying "x was clearly to blame", we've no way of knowing for sure. But anyone got any theories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

There's video doing the rounds. The lorry looked too high for the bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

It’s was driven into the bridge, the bridge is at an angle to the road so when the top of the trailer hit the bridge it leaned a bit as it ran along the bridge. There is a video on reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/b1hxrq/video_truck_crashes_into_bridge_on_amiens_st/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any driver who does that should be fined the cost of the vehicles and bridge repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Possibly because the driver was too cheap to use the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The driver should be locked in jail for 2 months and so should the owner of the company, there's no excuse for this absolute incompetence which costs the economy millions every year in lost productivity. It was a UK registered truck with a trailer from HMT Shipping Ltd.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1tEXdIXgAAHbTM.jpg:large

• Advertisement
    M

Tunnel is free for trucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

The driver should be locked in jail for 2 months and so should the owner of the company, there's no excuse for this absolute incompetence which costs the economy millions every year in lost productivity. It was a UK registered truck with a trailer from HMT Shipping Ltd.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1tEXdIXgAAHbTM.jpg

Trailer was HMT, truck may not be theirs, they subcontract a lot of it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1tEXdIXgAAHbTM.jpg

His house and neighbours houses should also be burned to the ground , his family forced to work in the salt mines and he should be made watch re runs of the Eurovision forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Tunnel is free for trucks.

Stupid then

M

His house and neighbours houses should also be burned to the ground , his family forced to work in the salt mines and he should be made watch re runs of the Eurovision forever.

And a tatoo of the bridge's height put on his forehead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Anyone know how the truck got stuck under Amiens St railway bridge on Friday? It looks to me from the pictures like it's not a straightforward case of the truck being too tall for the bridge. Double deck buses pass under that bridge all the time. The bridge clearance is 4.69m, which is higher than the max legal height for any vehicle (4.65m). I suspect the truck somehow tilted before it hit the bridge. Could be partly caused by the storm? Or a combination of wind and swerving to avoid something?

Obviously I don't want anyone saying "x was clearly to blame", we've no way of knowing for sure. But anyone got any theories?

I’m not sure where you’re getting that max legal height from??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

4.65 is the max legal height here in Ireland but clearly there are many vehicles that clearly exceed this legal height...they can travel unobstructed on many pre_planned routes. However if the driver decides to alternate from these routes well we all know what will happen... usually motorway bridges etc are above 5 meters high..
    Clearly this vehicle was too high for the route travelled..regardless of double decker buses etc using the same route the front of the trailer only needed to be a few inches higher than other vehicles.
    Quite clearly it's a bridge strike which carries a mandatory court appearance for the driver..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm not far from a railway bridge which is well marked with signs showing what the clearance is. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen trucks etc trying to work out if they can squeeze under.

Remarkable how many truck drivers are going around with no idea how high their vehicle is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Herpus Derpus! Or how the fùck did he manage this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There is or was a bridge in Portarlington or Portlaoise (forget which) that was infamous for the number of trucks getting stuck under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1tEXdIXgAAHbTM.jpg:large

Jaysus. Relax buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is still the worst of 2019. It was being used as a school bus too.

0_Screen-Shot-2019-01-29-at-133803.png

1_7e4108ee-560b-4ed3-a55b-f9650136ab52.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because those stupid 19th century engineers didn't foresee the invention of big trucks.

M

tom1ie wrote: »
    Jaysus. Relax buddy!

Yes we should let professional drivers who's job it is to drive a truck go around hitting bridges because they are so lazy they won't measure how high their vehicle is and compare that height against how high the bridge is, yes great plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He wasn't a Palestinian and we're not Israeli's :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there was a second one yday too, got stuck on a train getting back between drumcondra and Connolly station

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why don't they put up those warning ropes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

why don't they put up those warning ropes

Away with you and your sensible and cheap to implement solution.

They had them on the East Wall Road for a while. Seemed to work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i've never seen an article saying shipping company fined for bridge strike

heres the punishment http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Road-Worthiness--Related-Offences/Bridge-Strikes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looked like a standard artic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He had too much air in his tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

looksee wrote: »
    He had too much air in his tyres.

Some of them can raise their suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭2forjoy

Uk registered truck. Luckily it happened before 29th march

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The guy is ducking down while going under the bridge :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The whole point of the tunnel was to facilitate HGVs, they therefore are not charged anything to use the tunnel, while motorists are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Reminds me of one of my favourite YouTube channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

DCC will claim the costs of damage to the bridge from the trucking firms insurance right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

greencap wrote: »
    DCC will claim the costs of damage to the bridge from the trucking firms insurance right?
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

he could have adjusted the height of his fifth wheel for whatever reason, I used have to lower it for the tunnel in limerick as full height would set off the signal, but only northbound as the sensors must have been lower on one side

by any chance has the road been resurfaced recently in that area ?

Or it could be as simple as the driver being used to a different truck and forgot what he was in.
    It's unfortunate but accidents happen, he may lose his job and if I'm not mistaken a bridge strike is a mandatory court appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The bridge at Rathcoole had to be closed for months after a truck hit it

This one won't because it was built to last

Advertisement