Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best live act you’ve ever seen

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

chicorytip wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned Chris De Burgh. A truly superb live performer and showman. RDS '86.

There's a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

That was one of the better Metallica shows I've seen, AIC were excellent - was weird how similar to Stayley that William duVall sounded. If I remember right the awful Avenged Sevenfold were the opening act.

RATM are consistently solid when they tour.

Queens of the Stone Age when they had their best lineup (Lannegan/Homme/Oliveiri/Van Leuwen/Castillo) doing this sort of stuff, were absolutely amazing live, saw them a few years ago and most of the set was self-indulgent garbage filler from the newer albums

Have to say I agree. Thought 04 was kinda meh.

It was Alice who opened first and Duvall was a revelation on the day. They only got bumped up because Korn had to pull out.

Got a pick off Jerry when he came down to the barriers at the end; it's only a cheap piece of plastic but it's one of my treasured processions.

Then we had A7X. :rolleyes:

I've never seen RATM or Queens live but that line up was killer alright. Castillo's a great drummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Any Prince gig, but David Byrne's last tour was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Auldloon wrote: »
    SOAD in London 2015 was my favourite though now I’m pissed off with them for milking the fans without giving us any new material.

I am insanely jealous.

Serj and Daron need to just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

in no particular order and i'm rating them based on how much craic i had at the gig, the general impression and the ambience rather than the actual performance

Queens of the Stone Age
    Depeche Mode
    Faithless
    Rancid
    Therapy?
    Liam Gallagher
    Chemical Brothers
    Smash Hits
    Pixies
    Weezer
    Placebo

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

UB40 are a good live show.

Reminds me of a gig at Manchester University back in the early 1980s. Bad Manners were the headline.

I was backstage when Buster Bloodvessel regaled the tragic story of their support act having all died in a crash on the Motorway on their way up to the gig. Maybe the current lot are imposters, because Buster was very convincing with the way he said the show would go on in memory of that support act, UB40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pavb2

The Pogues were also great to watch live but some standouts for me were

Buddy Curtess & The Grasshoppers, Glastonbury 1986

Full of energy luminous coloured suits leaping and sprinting back and forth across the stage

Half Man Half Biscuit, Glastonbury 1986

Les Negresses Vertes, Finsbury Park Fleadh c1990

The Finsbury Park Fleadh was a really good festival, ran for a number of years and featured acts such as Christy Moore, The Chieftains and Van Morrison among others. Also saw Bob Dylan there who mumbled his way through a few songs and goes down as one of the worst acts I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I am insanely jealous.

Serj and Daron need to just get on with it.

It was just before their homecoming gig in Armenia and if you want to experience the quality check out the Armenia live set on YouTube it’s Outstanding!
    I’d seen them once before at Leeds festival but the London gig was far superior no support just straight in non stop for 34 tracks or something!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dasdog wrote: »
    Both nights were unreal. I've met plenty of people who still consider them to be the best shows they've seen of any genre, myself included.

Definitely. Imagine saying you saw Ozzy in a place that held around 200 people.It was amazing.

I thought Danzig were better :pac: And Megadeth much better a few months before that.

I'm not really a U2 fan (although I've seen them four times) but Zoo TV was amazing in RDS.

Danzig to this day is still on all my playlists.Never got to see him live though.:(:(
    Megadeth Ive seen a few times. Always were better than Metallica but Metallica as a 14 year old mini rocker just blew me away..

WASP in the point was another great one--1989 for the headless children album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lord Huron - Jan 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Oasis & REM Slane 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭dasdog

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Megadeth Ive seen a few times. Always were better than Metallica but Metallica as a 14 year old mini rocker just blew me away..

Yeah I was 13 seeing Megadeth, first gig. Some lad jumped off the balcony in the Olympic Ballroom and broke his legs supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Chris Cornell in the Olympia in 2016. Fantastic gig. Also Pearl Jam in Belfast a few years ago. Saw Metallica in Marlay Park in '09 but was really only there for AIC. Sound was **** until suddenly improving when Metallica came on. Chili Peppers disappointed me both times I've seen them too.

King Kong Company are amazing live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Michael Franti and Spearhead. The energy at their gigs are beyond incredible. Michael comes down into the crowd and bounces around with us, hugging and high fiveing as he performs.

Primal Scream also tend to blow my socks off and leave me exhausted and sweating from lepping around. One year at Oxegyn in one of the tents was the closest to a spiritual experience I have ever had.

John Mayer was another gig that blew me away. I cried most of the gig because it was just so beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Iggy Pop at Kilmainham for me! He really puts on a great show and gets the crowd going. Also Kilmainham is a great spot for concerts. Not to much hassle getting out and you can head into town afterwards!

Second would be Pink Floyd in Earl's Court around 2006 I think.

I saw 2 Many DJs in Marley Park and really enjoyed that thinking I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been to hundreds of gigs, maybe even breaking into 4 figures now, since 1985, here's the stand out ones

In no particular order, really can't split any of them, if i had to choose 1 i'd say Metallica as was a fanboy and seen them 30 odd times now

Nirvana - Reading '92 Fcukin outstanding, before internet and all we talked about all day was if Kurt would make it here, he did, and it was special

Iron Maiden - Donington '88 First time they headlined the biggest metal fest in the world, capacity of 72,000, attendance of 105,000. Small band called Guns n Roses played at 2pm, 2 fans died in the crush. Maidens set was out of this world, then the next day dawned....

Metallica - Manchester '88 This tour was the one that broke them, and this gig, they were immense

Rammstein - Birmingham 2006/2007 I'd seen them at a few euro festivals very early in their career but never paid much attention, crazy Germans with fire, this gig in Birmingham was probably the best i've been to for sheer spectacle alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

SLF whitla hall Belfast 1980

I've yet to hear people disappointed with an S.L.F. gig.

U2 also get great reviews from non fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The pogues.

It was/is a great gig if you knew the songs/lyrics.

It was just noise sometimes to folks who are willing to give it a go over years, Shane Mcgowan noise.

I feel sorry for those who missed out , there is something to be said about being professional/looking after the audience/paying public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

David byrne, 3 arena, last December.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Acid Reign in McGonagles was up there for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

David Bowie, The 'Reality' Tour at The Point Depot 2003.
    So good he released it on DVD.

Advertisement