Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best live act you’ve ever seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was slightly too young to see "death kreator sepultura" in the top hat, I also missed "megadeth pantera Alice in chains" in the point.

Other than that I'm grand

(edit... Sorry I misread the title as "never seen")

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Linkin Park and QOTSA in the RDS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That was the in-the-round gig wasn't it? Would have preferred a smaller venue myself but with the stage being out in the middle it was probably the perfect venue.

it was indeed, the cunning stunts setup

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was slightly too young to see "death kreator sepultura" in the top hat, I also missed "megadeth pantera Alice in chains" in the point.

Other than that I'm grand

All you need to know is Pantera blew the other two off the stage and kreator are ferocious

Best was probably Voivod and Neurosis in the TBMC sometime back in the 90s

or Ozzy in McGonagles around 90/91

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

mariaalice wrote: »
    Went to see Aslan by accident one time and have to say it was a fantastic gig.

Aslan by Accident sounds like a tribute band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

evillive wrote: »
    Ozzy in mcgonagles definitely number 1 never experienced a front man like that never mind the small matter of zakk, Mike and randy in the band!!

And in no particular order

Guns n Roses first gig in Vegas 2016 after the Troubadour the atmosphere in the crowd outside was electric that they were back

No Sweat in the SFX supported thunder but utterly blew them away

Metallica in the Top Hat first real gig as a mini metaller blown away by the utter mayhem, with Danzig touring their first album too

Slash last time he played the Olympia just quality

Chris Cornell in Olympia last time out too a legend, pure class

I was at that. No Sweat were excellent, Thunder were awful. Saw No Sweat in the Top Hat and the Tivoli. Both excellent gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Stray Cats, Rumble in Brixton 2004

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I saw this couple in Amsterdam once. Can't remember the name but they were very good. Sticky seats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

in terms of Comedy Kevin Bridges was unbelievable

Coldplay in the Phoenix Park around 2009ish was one that sticks out for music they put on a really good show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Jeff Lynne's ELO in 3Arena last October, huge huge fan but it was better than expected, some man for 71.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Two more Electric Picnic gigs are coming back to me, LCD Soundsystem's debut Irish gig at Electric Picnic 2005 on Sunday evening and Portishead at Electric Picnic 2014, both gigs indelibly marked in my memory.

Edit: Got that wrong LCD's second Irish gig after Oxegen the same year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Two more Electric Picnic gigs are coming back to me, LCD Soundsystem's debut Irish gig at Electric Picnic 2005 on Sunday evening and Portishead at Electric Picnic 2014, both gigs indelibly marked in my memory.

LCD Soundsystem played at Oxegen 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

RHCP - Sunstroke in Dalymount
    White Zombie - Sunstroke in RDS
    Megadeth and Corrosion of Conformity - SFX
    Metallica (any gig really) - Donnington
    Stone Temple Pilots - Olympia - unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

MGMT at Oxegen 08 was the best gig I've ever been at live, the atmosphere inside the tent was insane, it was so packed they had to stop letting people in. People started climbing up the steel supports and the band had to leave the stage for a time so a plea could be made for calm :D They proceeded to return a few minutes later and absolutely kill it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Page & Plant in The Point in 1995. I bought a bootleg tape of it on O'Connell Street a while after too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭blackbox

• U2 at SFX
    • Springsteen Slane 85
    • Neil Young Malahide Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Radiohead - Marley Park. Supported by Beck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fugazi at the Redbox back in 2005. Just amazing. Best gig I ever went to.

Sepultura at the SFX back in 1993 on the Chaos AD tour with Paradise Lost as support. They were both incredible.

Tom Waits when he played Dublin last at the Phoenix Park.

Leonard Cohen at Kilmainham back in 2008.

Metallica on the Load tour at the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

The Ramones 1985 in the TV Club Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

storker wrote: »
    Springsteen
    Steve Marriott

I'd have given anything practically to have seen Steve Marriott... an absolute obscene level of talent

Metallica 06 for me w/ Alice in Chains supporting.

Metallica played their entire Master of Puppets album in full and Alice had just reformed.

The pit was heaving.

That was one of the better Metallica shows I've seen, AIC were excellent - was weird how similar to Stayley that William duVall sounded. If I remember right the awful Avenged Sevenfold were the opening act.

RATM are consistently solid when they tour.

Queens of the Stone Age when they had their best lineup (Lannegan/Homme/Oliveiri/Van Leuwen/Castillo) doing this sort of stuff, were absolutely amazing live, saw them a few years ago and most of the set was self-indulgent garbage filler from the newer albums

Had the good fortune of being at My Bloody Valentines first gig in 24 years in 2008, no recording can adequately convey how absolutely loud and wonderful it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

SOAD in London 2015 was my favourite though now I’m pissed off with them for milking the fans without giving us any new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

SLF whitla hall Belfast 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Years and years ago I saw REM in Marley Park and they were very good.

Think (??) 3 years ago I saw The Last Shadow Puppets in the Olympia and was seriously impressed by them.

Last month I went to The Academy to see Sleaford Mods....WOW...The energy of the front man Jason Williamson is something to behold!! Absolutely blown away by his performance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

Stephane Grapelli and Hot Club de Paris

Paul Eaton and Jacqui Abbott in Opera House, Cork. There were problems with the sound system and while it was being fixed they sang Caravan of Love acapella. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Nobody has mentioned Chris De Burgh. A truly superb live performer and showman. RDS '86.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

Paul McCartney last year across the pond just before Christmas. My first time seeing him live and quite possibly my last but I've never been more enthralled by a gig in my life. 40 odd songs played, over 3 hours non stop from a 74 year old is staggering, never mind the treasure trove of a catalogue he has to pull from. Simply awe inspiring.

Honourable mention for Meshuggah. I've never come as close to feeling like my entire being was been sonically battered (in the best possible way) for the duration of their set.

Advertisement