Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking bays and rights

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Effects wrote: »
    What happened?

Something utterly predictable. So predictable that one could question how the injured party didn’t , you know, predict it and take the necessary steps to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are we cyclist bashing?

One of the best moments of my life was sitting at a 4 way junction with a green pedestrian light all round. A cyclist blew past me at speed, nearly hitting a women crossing the road. While turning around, I assume he was going to give out the pedestrian daring to cross, he slammed into another cyclist mid junction who had also breezed through the red light at speed.

Both of them lying in a heap of the middle of the junction, loads of pedestrians and cars looking at them. Lights go green, cars drive around them and the pedestrians move on. It was beautiful sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Are we cyclist bashing?

No. Keep your stories for After Hours please.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Effects wrote: »
    What happened?

Bicycle blown over in the wind so took up half the footpath.

Partner put the guitar case down by the door and took half a step backwards while getting his keys out. Tripped on the bicycle wheel, banged his head on something on the way down.

And yes, there was an empty bicycle rack on a wider bit of footpath 50m down the street. But that's just too far for a My Little Pony user to walk, apparently.

Car injuries in the 10 years I've known him, 0.

Bicycle injuries in the same time, 2. And one near miss when i pulled him out of the way of a deliveroo guy who ignored a red light.

All totally off topic for the OP .... 'cept i wonder how he'd feel about looking out on a bicycle rack instead of a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I wouldn't call that predictable! Sounds like your partner is just a bit clumsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yawn. I live in an inner city apartment with no parking, and have already have made such a decision. It was as much to do with the price of
    insurance as parking. But sometimes I do rent a car and do want to park it in my street.

And right now, my partner has a painful gash on his head because some a**hole bicycle user decided to use the footpath outside our place to store their vehicle, and the utterly predictable happened. So you can feck right off with the cyclo-vangelist preaching about car storage.

Will you be able to get an on street permit? Inner city I presume means high demand area which means no off street parking permits for apartment residents unless its a converted house.. If it's a purpose built block then your stuffed even if your particular unit does not have a parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Partner put the guitar case down by the door and took half a step backwards while getting his keys out. Tripped on the bicycle wheel, banged his head on something on the way down.

I'm sorry that your partner banged his head, but if he walking backwards on a city street, there are any number of things he could injure himself on aside from bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Ah here....worst excuse ever!!! Your partner mustve had a few too many ...great effort to be fair but can't believe you'd be so guallble ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

God forbid a cyclist would ever cause anything :rolleyes:

Untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Marcusm wrote: »

Without broad clearances of the towns in Ireland, it is difficult not to allow the parking if private cars on public streets. What needs to be achieved is a lower density of such parking on trunk and bus routes.
    It's not really that difficult at all, if we just putting our mind to it and getting motorists to start paying the real costs of motoring.

Yawn. I live in an inner city apartment with no parking, and have already have made such a decision. It was as much to do with the price of
    insurance as parking. But sometimes I do rent a car and do want to park it in my street.
    Like a lot of things in life, we don't all get what we want. I want someone to store my drum kit and my priceless collection of vintage movie memorabilia. Can I demand public space to store my private property too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is not the forum for discussing public policy on parking spaces. Try Commuting & Transport

Advertisement