Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking bays and rights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

And what's outside your neighbours house?

I had friends who lived in a house with parking, double bays, parallel to the footpath.
    The neighbours were always arguing about the parking, with one guy even using his car to take up two spaces.
    It ended up being the final thing that pushed them to sell and move on.

billyhead wrote: »
    Its only one space that I feel should be kept free i.e the one directly outside the house. I have no problem with the other space at the end being occupied. Also just to be clear these are off street parking bays.

Can you post a google maps link? Not directly to your exact street, but perhaps nearby that has the same parking layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Its similar. The difference is there are no white lines, the parking is perpendicular to fit 2 cars only and the footpath would be narrower.

Do you own the spaces? If not there is little to nothing you can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

amcalester wrote: »
    I live in one of these and own the space out to the footpath. There’s parking for 2 cars perpendicular to the house and then a footpath. There’s no numbers but anyone who parked there would be politely told not to do it again.

I wouldn’t be so polite the second time.

Is there signage to state that it belongs to you or that it's a private parking space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Naos wrote: »
    Is there signage to state that it belongs to you or that it's a private parking space?

No signage, but it’s different to the image above.

They’d have to cross the footpath and park in what would otherwise be my front garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No signage, but it’s different to the image above.

They’d have to cross the footpath and park in what would otherwise be my front garden.

Do you own the land or not? If you don't, they are common spaces. If you do, they are your spaces. Enforcing that would be near impossible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You can check title / where the boundary of your property is on https://www.landdirect.ie/index.html if the parking bay is on your property then anybody using it without your permission is trespassing. What (cost-) effective measures can be taken against civil trespass is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭billyhead

It would be like whats availbale for parking here except its parallel parking and there are room for only 2 cars and also there are no line markings. The corner house would have room at the fron on the footpath to park one car and then they woul dhave a second car parked in one of the 2 spaces directly outside my house, however they occupy both spaces outside my house.

https://ie.tixuz.com/real-estate/sale/house/24-sea-brook--brook-lane--rush--co--dublin/693507?utm_source=homes.mitula.ie&utm_medium=referral

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It would be like whats availbale for parking here except its parallel parking and there are room for only 2 cars and also there are no line markings. The corner house would have room at the fron on the footpath to park one car and then they woul dhave a second car parked in one of the 2 spaces directly outside my house, however they occupy both spaces outside my house.

https://ie.tixuz.com/real-estate/sale/house/24-sea-brook--brook-lane--rush--co--dublin/693507?utm_source=homes.mitula.ie&utm_medium=referral
    Unless they are allocated parking spaces in a private / managed development then any parking spaces on the road side of the footpath would usually be unallocated and free to anybody to park in on a first come first served basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

What's parked outside their own house? Nothing?
    If you don't have title (either through lease or purchase) to the spaces, and in general nobody has allocated spaces, then I don't see there's anything you can do.
    Whilst the mannerly thing to do might be to park outside your own front door not everyone will do so. Plus they see you're not using these public spaces outside your property.
    I'm wondering if there's a specific reason why you don't like their cars there. Are they revving engines at unsociable hours, leaving a smoky diesel engine running, or maybe working on the cars outside the door. Depending on your reason you may be able to approach this from a different angle. If it's that you just don't want them there then I j think you'll have an uphill battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭billyhead

Call me Al wrote: »
    What's parked outside their own house? Nothing?
    If you don't have title (either through lease or purchase) to the spaces, and in general nobody has allocated spaces, then I don't see there's anything you can do.
    Whilst the mannerly thing to do might be to park outside your own front door not everyone will do so. Plus they see you're not using these public spaces outside your property.
    I'm wondering if there's a specific reason why you don't like their cars there. Are they revving engines at unsociable hours, leaving a smoky diesel engine running, or maybe working on the cars outside the door. Depending on your reason you may be able to approach this from a different angle. If it's that you just don't want them there then I j think you'll have an uphill battle.

I forgot to say that the footapth is narrower then in the picture. Its the fact that the car is blcoking the view from the downstairs front room and also I need a space for visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

billyhead wrote:
    I forgot to say that the footapth is narrower then in the picture. Its the fact that the car is blcoking the view from the downstairs front room and also I need a space for visitors.

The view to what?

You said you have visitors occasionally, how can you justify holding a space for that?

It's really simple, is the land yours or not? If it's yours, build a physical wall, if it's not then build a mental wall and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

billyhead wrote:
    Its the fact that the car is blcoking the view from the downstairs front room

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I suppose that the more interesting question is why we allocate so much public space for storage of private property.

Well we could insist that all houses must allocate some of their land to storing wheely-things ( of the two, three or four wheeled variety). Just like we could insist that all houses must include stables. But it really would be more wasteful overall and exacerbate urban sprawl.

Shared parking lets a group of houses use a smaller overall area for the parking than if every house has its own. Sharing is A Good Thing. But it does mean that sometimes you have someone else's car outside your house. First world problem and all.

If its similar to that picture, where its road - space - footpath - house and the spaces have always been unassigned, then your out of luck.

You said earlier that its road - footpath - space - house though.

Here would be a example of that being a private space.

473456.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Ah here.

Indeed.

Op, if you want to guarantee that no-one parks outside your house, you need to buy a house with a driveway, or with reserved parking spaces. Otherwise, you will just have to lump it - everyone has the same entitlement to park on the public road as anyone else.

Do you own the land or not? If you don't, they are common spaces. If you do, they are your spaces. Enforcing that would be near impossible though.

I’ve already said I own the spaces, so yes I do own the land.

No need for enforcement, anyone who parks there will be blocked in and when the come knocking asked not to park there again.

Repeat offenders will find the door unanswered when them come knocking.

I don’t think it’ll be an issue though as it’s obvious that the spaces belong to the house, it’s a semi-detached house with parking instead of a front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I know cuddleworth quoted you but I suspect there may be some confusion between yourself and the OP as you are saying you are in similar situation.

But OP still hasn't said if they own or not

No need for enforcement, anyone who parks there will be blocked in and when the come knocking asked not to park there again.

Repeat offenders will find the door unanswered when them come knocking.

I don’t think it’ll be an issue though as it’s obvious that the spaces belong to the house, it’s a semi-detached house with parking instead of a front garden.

Yeah, I got confused. But its important the OP clarifies if he owns the land or not. If he doesn't, he is out of luck enforcing where people park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Would it be possible to block off the spaces when vacant with key operated bollard like you see on some driveways in Dublin. Mostly these are used to prevent car thieves from steal cars off peoples driveways.

If you own the spaces and have full control of the paving and your housing developments rules do not prohibit it, I do not see why you should not be able to block off your spaces with some locking mechanical barrier.

On occasion in inner city Dublin I have seen some houses lucky enough to have small front driveways who have secured them with such padlocked bollards, presumably because some cheeky individuals were parking up on them uninvited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Well if you don't own the spaces and if those are your reasons then i think you have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well we could insist that all houses must allocate some of their land to storing wheely-things ( of the two, three or four wheeled variety). Just like we could insist that all houses must include stables. But it really would be more wasteful overall and exacerbate urban sprawl.

Shared parking lets a group of houses use a smaller overall area for the parking than if every house has its own. Sharing is A Good Thing. But it does mean that sometimes you have someone else's car outside your house. First world problem and all.
    You'd be amazed how many people would make other plans and other decisions if they had to pay for the storage space for their car. In Japan, you have to prove that you have storage space on your own land or at your own expense before you can buy a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

endacl wrote: »
    You want two parking spaces you don’t have a use for left unused because you don’t use them?

Weird...

Well if they own them, nothing weird about that, whether they do or they dont and they are directly outside their property, then these problems that you run the risk of encountering would put me off being in a place like that,its disorganisation and a lack of concern in planning, bilk the customer and be damned the consequences, like the quality of life, and it is a quality of life need vehicle to get to work have to be hassled and inconvenienced to wonder whether some tool is going to block you out/in.

Its bad enough having a driveway and some tools will park right up to it, block you or simply have so many vehicles they seem to feel entitled to block up all access, Ive even read of threads of people parking in other peoples driveways, one reason given was because they dont have a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You'd be amazed how many people would make other plans and other decisions if they had to pay for the storage space for their car. In Japan, you have to prove that you have storage space on your own land or at your own expense before you can buy a car.

Or you buy a kei car which doesn’t carry the same restrictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Marcusm wrote: »
    Or you buy a kei car which doesn’t carry the same restrictions!
    But it still has some restrictions, right?

https://www.reinventingparking.org/2014/06/japans-proof-of-parking-rule-has.html

This explains why it is no big deal that an exception is made (in some areas) for tiny cars or "kei" cars, which have yellow license plates. Owners of these little cars may not need to prove access to a parking space but they still can't park in the streets overnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nobody can park on a street in Japan overnight. That’s clear when you are there. One of the reasons why i’ve Never rented a car there.

Ireland is not, however, Japan. We haven’t had the wholesale clearance of buildings throughout the country as occurred in Japan (not just Tokyo) in the mid 1940s followed by the reconstruction of the cities with broad planned roads, good public transport and lots of offstreet parking. Car ownership rates in Ireland and Japan are both in the 75-80% of households range.

Without broad clearances of the towns in Ireland, it is difficult not to allow the parking if private cars on public streets. What needs to be achieved is a lower density of such parking on trunk and bus routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

doolox wrote: »
    ....in Adamstown and would be wary of buying there for that very reason.

If there are no walls and fences and gates and a clearly defined footpath to designate the border between private and common space then selfish, entitled people will drop their cars anywhere they feel like and the owner of the house can go swing for all they care.

The access roads are tiny and there does not seem to be any clearly defined marking between public and private space in the front of the houses in Adamstown so no way of guaranteeing you will get a space if you come home late and the noisy neighbours hold a party that night........

Are you talking about Alderlie or St. Helen's?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yawn. I live in an inner city apartment with no parking, and have already have made such a decision. It was as much to do with the price of
    insurance as parking. But sometimes I do rent a car and do want to park it in my street.

And right now, my partner has a painful gash on his head because some a**hole bicycle user decided to use the footpath outside our place to store their vehicle, and the utterly predictable happened. So you can feck right off with the cyclo-vangelist preaching about car storage.

Yawn. I live in an inner city apartment with no parking, and have already have made such a decision. It was as much to do with the price of
    insurance as parking. But sometimes I do rent a car and do want to park it in my street.

And right now, my partner has a painful gash on his head because some a**hole bicycle user decided to use the footpath outside our place to store their vehicle, and the utterly predictable happened. So you can feck right off with the cyclo-vangelist preaching about car storage.

He head butted the bike in rage?

• Advertisement

And right now, my partner has a painful gash on his head because some a**hole bicycle user decided to use the footpath outside our place to store their vehicle, and the utterly predictable happened.

What happened?

Advertisement