Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW EGR cooler recall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Booked mine into J Donohoe in Enniscorthy today. Was told I'd have to switch my own insurance over to the courtesy car, is that accurate?
    He said it's only a 3 to 4 hour job so I said I wouldn't bother, I'd just wait.

I also asked about getting the chain tested as the car is new to me. I had heard from here that it only costs €80. He said it'll be €250 to get it tested. Said the €80 test would cover hooking it up to the computer and a mechanic physically listening to it, that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Whocare

I wonder was it bmw that started fire in Douglas shopping centre

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Whocare wrote: »

Bit of a wild speculation?

I heard it was.

My brother car is waiting for recall for last 6 months if it bmw that started fire bmw Ireland should be paying for damages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Times claim it was the other well-known spontaneously combusting car - an Opel Zafira B

• Registered Users Posts: 1 unhappy BMW x5 owner

My BMW x5 2014 with 106,000 km on clock with was book in to Frank kean garage egr product recall .
    girl ask did we have any drive train worning light or lose of power ,which is linked to egr failure.
    which we did 2 weeks early .
    we also left car In for service also and recived a courtesy car .
    the following day got call from them to say that egr was tested and was ok and did not need to be replaced.
    but there was other problems with the car ,they said we had coolant water pump failure and need to be replaced, parts and labour, 589 euro
    and swirl flap actuator , parts and labour a other 800 euro looking at bill of 1389 euro.
    Have an argument that these issues were related to the product recall and was not happy to pay . The girl said she get on to customer service BMW, put my case forward to see what they could do . They got back to me the next day to say they would waiver the parts only and would have to pay for the labour as these parts for not part of the product recall and was down to wear and tear.
    Which I find farcical as it's all linked to the EGR.
    they had my car for the rest week and then got another call to say they are also replace manifold and on removal of the manfold they noticed there was a build up coke under the manfold recommend that'd be cleaned out or the de coke as they call it. As it would block up
    the swirl actuator again , and effect the car's performance.
    and by the way this would cost extra 344 plus vat .at grand total 1052 euro bill
    my question is why am I paying for this work .
    when there is clearly a problem with the egr cooler and the nock on affect with the associated parts.
    as my car has all effects of an EGR cooler failure
    Mentioned in there recall .

has anybody else experienced these parts and Labour not been covered in the product recall.
    Because I feel we are paying for this product recall as it was a product design failure which could potentially go on fire.

Can anybody help out there cos I feel like I've been ripped off I was thinking of taking it to the small claims court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. If true, apologies. I can tell you now I would fight this to the last and not pay a cent towards what most likely seems to be related to the egr recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Talk about using a recall to milk the customer. But I'm not surprised, 5 years in and BMWs start getting expensive unless you know a good indy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

A bit late now, but can you get the annual extension from bmw-warranty.ie?
    Put your reg into the homepage and see what it quotes.
    For ref, I’ve a 152 420d gc with 80k km and i pay €415 annually. Well worth checking - they cover up to 160,000 or 10 years old.

I got the egr recall notice and had it done in April same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Ardent

My BMW x5 2014 with 106,000 km on clock with was book in to Frank kean garage egr product recall .
    girl ask did we have any drive train worning light or lose of power ,which is linked to egr failure.
    which we did 2 weeks early .
    we also left car In for service also and recived a courtesy car .
    the following day got call from them to say that egr was tested and was ok and did not need to be replaced.
    but there was other problems with the car ,they said we had coolant water pump failure and need to be replaced, parts and labour, 589 euro
    and swirl flap actuator , parts and labour a other 800 euro looking at bill of 1389 euro.
    Have an argument that these issues were related to the product recall and was not happy to pay . The girl said she get on to customer service BMW, put my case forward to see what they could do . They got back to me the next day to say they would waiver the parts only and would have to pay for the labour as these parts for not part of the product recall and was down to wear and tear.
    Which I find farcical as it's all linked to the EGR.
    they had my car for the rest week and then got another call to say they are also replace manifold and on removal of the manfold they noticed there was a build up coke under the manfold recommend that'd be cleaned out or the de coke as they call it. As it would block up
    the swirl actuator again , and effect the car's performance.
    and by the way this would cost extra 344 plus vat .at grand total 1052 euro bill
    my question is why am I paying for this work .
    when there is clearly a problem with the egr cooler and the nock on affect with the associated parts.
    as my car has all effects of an EGR cooler failure
    Mentioned in there recall .

has anybody else experienced these parts and Labour not been covered in the product recall.
    Because I feel we are paying for this product recall as it was a product design failure which could potentially go on fire.

Can anybody help out there cos I feel like I've been ripped off I was thinking of taking it to the small claims court.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if all these issues are related to the EGR problem or not. But I find it HIGHLY suspicious that your car is suddenly manifesting all of these problems. Unless you have truly and unfortunately purchased a lemon.

I would say push back on these claims - continue to pursue the line you've been taking with them. If they still try to squeeze you, I would be notifying them of your intention to carry out an independent evaluation, followed by potential legal action for extortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I received a call from a main dealer here in the UK yesterday regards the ERG cooler. I did quiz him up regards the technical campaign and it became obvious he didnt know very much. It looks as if the ERG cooler replacement campaign has been widened covering cars from before the December 2014 date stated in the Autocar article.

My build date is Sept 2014 and I noticed on the VOSA site that the recall was issued at least 03/10/2019. It's not on BMWs own recall site (where you check via the VIN). My car was in for a MOT and vehicle check at the main BMW dealer in June 19 and not a word was mentioned.

I asked regards lead times, workshop but got the usual fob off. Availability regards booking in the car is Nov when a courtesy car is available. The service advisor declined to give a copy of the BMW technical bulletin as I wanted to see for myself what's required and the action points. Redesigned cooler apparently.

492160.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

We brought our 162 x5 25d in to the dealer for and end of warranty check on Monday last.
    This car already had egr valve replaced when the car broke down as a result of failure about two years ago. When they plugged the car into the system an immediate recall came up and they said that they weren’t allowed release the vehicle until the cooler had been changed as it was as a fire risk. This was done straight away and we got the car back the same day albeit after a few hours extra.
    They said the recall wasn’t on the system when the car was booked in a couple of weeks ago so it was a new recall that BMW have just started for more models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭freddieot

BMW have known about the X5 being included in the EGR episode for some time. I received a recall letter for my 151 last March (dated January)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

carsfan2 wrote: »
    We brought our 162 x5 25d in to the dealer for and end of warranty check on Monday last.
    This car already had egr valve replaced when the car broke down as a result of failure about two years ago. When they plugged the car into the system an immediate recall came up and they said that they weren’t allowed release the vehicle until the cooler had been changed as it was as a fire risk. This was done straight away and we got the car back the same day albeit after a few hours extra.
    They said the recall wasn’t on the system when the car was booked in a couple of weeks ago so it was a new recall that BMW have just started for more models.

I rang the central BMW customer service number to ask a few more questions. Date of the most recent recall for my car was issued the 25th of September 2019.

I did enquire regards lead times and I was told 80% of the dealers in the UK now had parts (I am taking this with a pinch of salt)...although there is probably a considerable number of cars backed up as the workshops get through the backlog of vehicles leading to a delay.

Asked regards impact of Brexit on supply chain (the revised parts are coming from Germany and I am based in the UK)...no impact I was told :confused:

They also didnt seem to have any knowledge of availability of their branches or the 20% of dealers who dont have the revised ERG cooler.

Replacement vehicles are organised by Enterprise in the UK. You have to pay an fee for insurance costs. Persumably this is for the duration of the hire which is unknown due to BMW themselves not knowing how long it will take. Meanwhile the customer has to pay to drive a car which isnt theirs due to a design flaw in a "premium vehicle". Must be said fantastic service :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

freddieot wrote: »
    BMW have known about the X5 being included in the EGR episode for some time. I received a recall letter for my 151 last March (dated January)

Yes, but our car was supposedly already fixed as a result of the egr failing and as such we were told before it didn’t need any further work when I queried it. On Monday we were told this is a new recall just issued...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

carsfan2 wrote: »
    . When they plugged the car into the system an immediate recall came up and they said that they weren’t allowed release the vehicle until the cooler had been changed as it was as a fire risk.

It's such a fire risk that we can't let you leave with it.

No we couldn't be arsed telling you before now.

After all the exhaustive testing these designs go through, bajillioms of engineering man hours... Still more likely to kill you than a simple addition of a hardwired dash cam.

I'm shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

sk8board wrote: »
    A bit late now, but can you get the annual extension from bmw-warranty.ie?h
    Put your reg into the homepage and see what it quotes.
    For ref, I’ve a 152 420d gc with 80k km and i pay €415 annually. Well worth checking - they cover up to 160,000 or 10 years old.

I got the egr recall notice and had it done in April same day.

I just checked this out, I have a 12 reg F10 MSport with 90km and...

ONLINE QUOTATION
    Unfortunately we are unable to offer a product for this vehicle. Please call BMW Warranty Services on 1 850 940 200 to speak to a member of our team who will be happy to help you.

For the "Ultimate Driving Machine" BMW are just a cesspit of money sucking cars with the worst customer service akin to RyanAir..

Torres09 wrote: »
    For the "Ultimate Driving Machine" BMW are just a cesspit of money sucking cars with the worst customer service akin to RyanAir..

Kia and Hyundai must be loving the exposure as the go to stand ins for the Ultimate Driving Machine undergoing urgent fire prevention work. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Torres09 wrote: »
    I just checked this out, I have a 12 reg F10 MSport with 90km and...

ONLINE QUOTATION
    Unfortunately we are unable to offer a product for this vehicle. Please call BMW Warranty Services on 1 850 940 200 to speak to a member of our team who will be happy to help you.

You need to stop looking at it the old way of buying a car, you are buying the all new bmw experience

The all new modern joyful bmw experience is available from only about :

€600 / 1000kilometres

gctest50 wrote: »
    You need to stop looking at it the old way of buying a car, you are buying the all new bmw experience

The all new modern joyful bmw experience is available from only about :

€6/ 10kilometre

Insurance companies and traditional car manufacturers will all wake up some morning and realise that they've pushed all their customers over to tech companies offering autonomous "cars as a service"

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

I had my car in last April, 152 218d, and they released it back to me the same day knowing it needed the part replaced, but deeming it safe not to have it impounded (?).

Anyway, 6 months later and not a word from anyone, so dropped them a mail yesterday and got a reply this morning; asking would I drop it in the end of the month. I asked was it for just another visual inspection and was told, no, they will be replacing the Cooler on the day.

And they'll give me a replacement car on the day too.

Fair enough.

La Haine wrote: »

Hyundai. The next best thing to the ultimate driving machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Wednesdays BBC Watchdog Live had a segment on vehicle recalls in the UK. BMW and Range Rover in particular. Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

HailSatan wrote: »
    La Haine wrote: »

Hyundai. The next best thing to the ultimate driving machine.

The Hyundai's were for the long term no parts available situations...

If its literally a part in stock and car in for 1 day I'd expect the normal courtesy car.

• Advertisement

Hyundai. An acceptable long term stand-in for the ultimate driving machine.

Hi got get replaced on Wednesday .anyone else think after the replacement the dpf is regenerating more often as I'm noticing around dpf is very hot on last few trips I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Has anyone had any issues with the EGR cooler after getting the part replaced? My car had a drop in coolant level and I can’t find any obvious source. Just curious if anyone else is having the same issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Has anyone had any issues with the EGR cooler after getting the part replaced? My car had a drop in coolant level and I can’t find any obvious source. Just curious if anyone else is having the same issue?

had a bit of gurgling in mine right after, I'm guessing they don't do a good job of bleeding the coolant which would explain the drop in level on yours, top it up and monitor , should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

cyborg wrote: »
    had a bit of gurgling in mine right after, I'm guessing they don't do a good job of bleeding the coolant which would explain the drop in level on yours, top it up and monitor , should be OK.

I've had mine done a while now and I've had the car serviced since. The levels were fine at the last service. Will take a proper look when I get the car on the lift.

• Advertisement

Hi got get replaced on Wednesday .anyone else think after the replacement the dpf is regenerating more often as I'm noticing around dpf is very hot on last few trips I did

Forget about it it was just a coincidence that the DPF is regenerating day after it was done

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mbreengal

Hi , my wife was driving my 141 F30 M Sport 318d ( 40k miles) with my son & nephew in it and it started to go on fire at the traffic lights, happened 9 days ago. the auto stop start had failed to restart the car to go on the green light , smoke proceeded to come up from the bonnet and a burning smell came into the cabin. all 3 jumped out very quickly and luckily fire went out.

As soon as Axa assist guy smelt the bonnet and inside of the car he said he wasn't going to attempt anything with it. Told me he'd seen about 50 of these over the past year. I bought from an independent garage in Galway. He informed me to contact BMW as it was the EGR cooler fan that had burnt out. " this is will be fixed as part of a recall and you'll get a courtesy car"

I rang BMW cust care, they were very helpful and sorted new me out with a car from Europcar ( Megaine €100 deposit) on new years eve. BMW wanted to talk to my insurance company to gain access to inspect the car but Ive told them this isnt required. this is were I'm at currently !

Has anyone had a similar experience , I've the rental for 2 weeks but a week has passed already driving the rental and they still haven't lifted the car from ind garage where it was recovered to.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

mbreengal wrote: »
    Hi , my wife was driving my 141 F30 M Sport 318d ( 40k miles) with my son & nephew in it and it started to go on fire at the traffic lights, happened 9 days ago. the auto stop start had failed to restart the car to go on the green light , smoke proceeded to come up from the bonnet and a burning smell came into the cabin. all 3 jumped out very quickly and luckily fire went out.

As soon as Axa assist guy smelt the bonnet and inside of the car he said he wasn't going to attempt anything with it. Told me he'd seen about 50 of these over the past year. I bought from an independent garage in Galway. He informed me to contact BMW as it was the EGR cooler fan that had burnt out. " this is will be fixed as part of a recall and you'll get a courtesy car"

I rang BMW cust care, they were very helpful and sorted new me out with a car from Europcar ( Megaine €100 deposit) on new years eve. BMW wanted to talk to my insurance company to gain access to inspect the car but Ive told them this isnt required. this is were I'm at currently !

Has anyone had a similar experience , I've the rental for 2 weeks but a week has passed already driving the rental and they still haven't lifted the car from ind garage where it was recovered to.

Cheers

Was the car part of the original recall? Did you receive notification to bring it into garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mbreengal

Xcellor wrote: »
    Was the car part of the original recall? Did you receive notification to bring it into garage?

My guess is it never went in for the recall at all...I only have the car 4 weeks and its a UK import so maybe letter went elsewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Just seen a fb post from a family member regarding her issues with her 3 series 2015 BMW. Bought 4 months ago on finance (€200PW) from Waterford main BMW dealer. After 4 mths, she got a drive train warning, the garage now have the car 3 months and are now saying it's fuel contamination which is not covered under warranty. She was not aware of any recall's (but the work could have been done previous to purchase?) This is the text from the fb post..

Have any of you had any problems with a Waterford BMW garage ??? I have been put through absolute torture with them over the past 3 months ... they have my car 3 months now , can you imagine�� drive train warning came up and they couldn't find the problem as to why "apparently" they have spent over 6k trying to find the problem . now however, they have come back to me and said it's fuel contamination... which I do not believe for a second because myself and my hubby get our diesel at the same garage and no problems whatever with the van!!!!
    I have phoned petrol station also to let them know there accusations and they informed me that they just had their annual fuel check done and if i wanted reports from them , that won't be a problem.
    The treatment I've been given for the past 3 months has been outrageous, they are very unprofessional and untrustworthy as they've proved time and time again over these past 3 months ...
    I only had the car for 16wks and they've had it since ...
    I'm absolutely shocked by this as I've heard so many other horror stories recently about this Waterford Garage too ..
    I'm sure they are just trying to hit us for the money they have mistakenly spent as they are saying contaminated fuel is not covered under warranty...
    Has anyone else had any problems with them ????

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What tests and with what labs have the garage had carried out to verify their allegation of contaminated fuel?
    What method was used to collect the sample to ensure there was no contamination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

moeblogs wrote: »
    Just seen a fb post from a family member regarding her issues with her 3 series 2015 BMW. Bought 4 months ago on finance (€200pm) from Waterford main BMW dealer. After 4 mths, she got a drive train warning, the garage now have the car 3 months and are now saying it's fuel contamination which is not covered under warranty. She was not aware of any recall's (but the work could have been done previous to purchase?) This is the text from the fb post..

Have any of you had any problems with a Waterford BMW garage ??? I have been put through absolute torture with them over the past 3 months ... they have my car 3 months now , can you imagine�� drive train warning came up and they couldn't find the problem as to why "apparently" they have spent over 6k trying to find the problem . now however, they have come back to me and said it's fuel contamination... which I do not believe for a second because myself and my hubby get our diesel at the same garage and no problems whatever with the van!!!!
    I have phoned petrol station also to let them know there accusations and they informed me that they just had their annual fuel check done and if i wanted reports from them , that won't be a problem.
    The treatment I've been given for the past 3 months has been outrageous, they are very unprofessional and untrustworthy as they've proved time and time again over these past 3 months ...
    I only had the car for 16wks and they've had it since ...
    I'm absolutely shocked by this as I've heard so many other horror stories recently about this Waterford Garage too ..
    I'm sure they are just trying to hit us for the money they have mistakenly spent as they are saying contaminated fuel is not covered under warranty...
    Has anyone else had any problems with them ????

are you sure you didnt put petrol into her instead of diesel,

are you sure you didnt put petrol into her instead of diesel,
    You would think they would have checked that before they spent 6,000 on repairs?

What tests and with what labs have the garage had carried out to verify their allegation of contaminated fuel?
    What method was used to collect the sample to ensure there was no contamination?

Great question, She only posted this 2hrs ago, but I will ask her to follow that up.. Thks

Updated fb post

This is unbelievable .. thought I was going to a reputable garage and turns out they treat their customers like rubbish , I have been run ragged over the 3 months doing their job for them regarding insurance and what not . was without insurance for a whole weekend on a courtesy car that I had to get out in Kilmeaden because they wouldn't even give me one themselves ... they don't answer your calls , they don't phone you back the majority of the time
    . I've had enough now . . I'm so dissapointed, don't even want the car back now as they can't be trusted ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Utter bull with the fuel contamination story.

Most fuel stations have tanks that hold 20,000-40,000 litres.

Average fill by a car is 30-35 litres.

If there was fuel contamination there'd be up to 1,000 cars affected and it would be very public very quickly.

So ask them to explain that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

she sounds like a right nut job ranting on facebook instead or going to speak with a solicitor,

she sounds like a right nut job ranting on facebook instead or going to speak with a solicitor,
    I agree, but social media is the only option for her because she is being fobbed off at every turn, she is constantly ringing looking for a resolution, with no reply, these guys are taking the piss, surely the garage could have recognized the faults and replaced/reimbursed her, 3mths is a stretch in any ones books..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree, these guys are taking the piss, surely the garage could have recognized the faults and replaced/reimbursed her, 3mths is a stretch in any ones books..
    Anyone who rants on FB is presumably only giving half of the story also.

She is paying €430pm, while the car is in the garage, over 3mths now. No definite date of completion of work.. Has she any recourse.?
    She has her finance with bmw finance. (info not taken from fb)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

She is paying €430pm, while the car is in the garage, over 3mths now. No definite date of completion of work.. Has she any recourse.?

If it's on HP agreement perhaps. After all bank owns the car. I bought a car off a big garage in Dublin only to find engine registered in it wasn't the right one. I got the HP company to intervene and sort it out with dealer. Got my money back minus 1 month fiance payment..

I was asked if i knew where her car service records are in a BMW, I have no idea; wasn't expecting that. Anyone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will be in the iDrive infotainment system, under vehicle information.

Similar to where it is in this video:

bazz26 wrote: »
    It will be in the iDrive infotainment system, under vehicle information.

Similar to where it is in this video:

Appreciate the info, unfortunately the car is in the garage. Would she have been sent paperwork etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends who serviced it, BMW dealer would update the history online and on the car like above, no paperwork anymore. Some BMW specialists do the same while smaller independent garages should have provided invoices.

If she has the car registered on https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.ie/app/index.html#/portal then she can see the same service history as on the car's iDrive.

Did she not look into any of this when she was buying?

Advertisement