Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wingman365

Old diesel wrote: »
    I'd be getting a solicitor involved tbh.

1) known issue on the car that can cause a fire.....

2) car was checked for the fault and declared safe

3) BMW arguably should have replaced ALL EGR valves on cars recalled . A car that was within spec for the check can go out of spec - that seems foreseeable to me.

Best of luck :(

Yea thinking that is the route I should be going down. They have given me a replacement BMW to drive in the meantime but have been shy with any contact. There hasnt been anyone out from BMW to assess the vehicle since the fire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

wingman365 wrote: »
    Yea thinking that is the route I should be going down. They have given me a replacement BMW to drive in the meantime but have been shy with any contact. There hasnt been anyone out from BMW to assess the vehicle since the fire.

How did you manage to extinguish the fire? Was there any serious danger to you/passengers when this happened? That’s nuts, I’d be furious as you went to the time and trouble of taking preemptive measures to avoid the worst and then it happens.

I posted on another thread I saw a decent car at a good price but it is due for recall which I would have to do myself. I decided against purchasing thankfully after reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wingman365

How did you manage to extinguish the fire? Was there any serious danger to you/passengers when this happened? That’s nuts, I’d be furious as you went to the time and trouble of taking preemptive measures to avoid the worst and then it happens.

I posted on another thread I saw a decent car at a good price but it is due for recall which I would have to do myself. I decided against purchasing thankfully after reading this.

I called the fire brigade and they came out and sorted it. Absolutely there was danger to me, luckily I was by myself and didn't have the rest of the family in the car. I am furious and it's only making matters worse that BMW are refusing to speak to me about it. The wreckage has been in a garage for weeks and they've said no one has been in touch to arrange an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Has anyone had their BMW actually go on fire on them. This happened me a few weeks ago and I've received little or no contact from BMW. The car was also recalled and sent to Joe Duffy who said that the car didn't need the part replaced...a few months later it goes up in flames.

This is exactly the issue I brought up earlier in this thread. Mine was given the all-clear too by Morrisons.

Is it going to be fine or is it just a matter of time? Who knows!

BMW - The Ultimate Flaming Machine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I have emailed FK Blackrock three times to book in for my X5 ...... as per the bmw service letter i received in Jan. They have ignored me point blank. When my x5 goes whoosh in a ball of flames I look forward to FKs explanation to them ignoring my emails. Electronic communications via the bmw website is their only form of recommended contact

Snail Mail, recorded. Still the form of contact that can't be ignored.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Bring More Water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I have emailed FK Blackrock three times to book in for my X5 ...... as per the bmw service letter i received in Jan. They have ignored me point blank. When my x5 goes whoosh in a ball of flames I look forward to FKs explanation to them ignoring my emails. Electronic communications via the bmw website is their only form of recommended contact

Did you get contact since Dusky Joe?????.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Davidc12345

Has anyone had their BMW actually go on fire on them. This happened me a few weeks ago and I've received little or no contact from BMW. The car was also recalled and sent to Joe Duffy who said that the car didn't need the part replaced...a few months later it goes up in flames.

Had mine go up in smoke last night coming off the motorway. No warning or letter sent for the recall just lost power and smoke coming from the Bonet. 2016520d msport. Still waiting on bmw to get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Had mine go up in smoke last night coming off the motorway. No warning or letter sent for the recall just lost power and smoke coming from the Bonet. 2016520d msport. Still waiting on bmw to get back to me.

Pics, or it didn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

Guys my car was recalled and deemed saf. Only for the drivetrain error to come on and sure enough the egr cooler is leaking. I’ve had to have it collected and brought to bmw to get fixed. Surely this will Ben covered by the recall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Booked mine into J Donohoe in Enniscorthy today. Was told I'd have to switch my own insurance over to the courtesy car, is that accurate?
    He said it's only a 3 to 4 hour job so I said I wouldn't bother, I'd just wait.

I also asked about getting the chain tested as the car is new to me. I had heard from here that it only costs €80. He said it'll be €250 to get it tested. Said the €80 test would cover hooking it up to the computer and a mechanic physically listening to it, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

I wonder was it bmw that started fire in Douglas shopping centre

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Whocare wrote: »

Bit of a wild speculation?

I heard it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

My brother car is waiting for recall for last 6 months if it bmw that started fire bmw Ireland should be paying for damages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Times claim it was the other well-known spontaneously combusting car - an Opel Zafira B

• Registered Users Posts: 1 unhappy BMW x5 owner

My BMW x5 2014 with 106,000 km on clock with was book in to Frank kean garage egr product recall .
    girl ask did we have any drive train worning light or lose of power ,which is linked to egr failure.
    which we did 2 weeks early .
    we also left car In for service also and recived a courtesy car .
    the following day got call from them to say that egr was tested and was ok and did not need to be replaced.
    but there was other problems with the car ,they said we had coolant water pump failure and need to be replaced, parts and labour, 589 euro
    and swirl flap actuator , parts and labour a other 800 euro looking at bill of 1389 euro.
    Have an argument that these issues were related to the product recall and was not happy to pay . The girl said she get on to customer service BMW, put my case forward to see what they could do . They got back to me the next day to say they would waiver the parts only and would have to pay for the labour as these parts for not part of the product recall and was down to wear and tear.
    Which I find farcical as it's all linked to the EGR.
    they had my car for the rest week and then got another call to say they are also replace manifold and on removal of the manfold they noticed there was a build up coke under the manfold recommend that'd be cleaned out or the de coke as they call it. As it would block up
    the swirl actuator again , and effect the car's performance.
    and by the way this would cost extra 344 plus vat .at grand total 1052 euro bill
    my question is why am I paying for this work .
    when there is clearly a problem with the egr cooler and the nock on affect with the associated parts.
    as my car has all effects of an EGR cooler failure
    Mentioned in there recall .

has anybody else experienced these parts and Labour not been covered in the product recall.
    Because I feel we are paying for this product recall as it was a product design failure which could potentially go on fire.

Can anybody help out there cos I feel like I've been ripped off I was thinking of taking it to the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. If true, apologies. I can tell you now I would fight this to the last and not pay a cent towards what most likely seems to be related to the egr recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Talk about using a recall to milk the customer. But I'm not surprised, 5 years in and BMWs start getting expensive unless you know a good indy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

A bit late now, but can you get the annual extension from bmw-warranty.ie?
    Put your reg into the homepage and see what it quotes.
    For ref, I’ve a 152 420d gc with 80k km and i pay €415 annually. Well worth checking - they cover up to 160,000 or 10 years old.

I got the egr recall notice and had it done in April same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

My BMW x5 2014 with 106,000 km on clock with was book in to Frank kean garage egr product recall .
    girl ask did we have any drive train worning light or lose of power ,which is linked to egr failure.
    which we did 2 weeks early .
    we also left car In for service also and recived a courtesy car .
    the following day got call from them to say that egr was tested and was ok and did not need to be replaced.
    but there was other problems with the car ,they said we had coolant water pump failure and need to be replaced, parts and labour, 589 euro
    and swirl flap actuator , parts and labour a other 800 euro looking at bill of 1389 euro.
    Have an argument that these issues were related to the product recall and was not happy to pay . The girl said she get on to customer service BMW, put my case forward to see what they could do . They got back to me the next day to say they would waiver the parts only and would have to pay for the labour as these parts for not part of the product recall and was down to wear and tear.
    Which I find farcical as it's all linked to the EGR.
    they had my car for the rest week and then got another call to say they are also replace manifold and on removal of the manfold they noticed there was a build up coke under the manfold recommend that'd be cleaned out or the de coke as they call it. As it would block up
    the swirl actuator again , and effect the car's performance.
    and by the way this would cost extra 344 plus vat .at grand total 1052 euro bill
    my question is why am I paying for this work .
    when there is clearly a problem with the egr cooler and the nock on affect with the associated parts.
    as my car has all effects of an EGR cooler failure
    Mentioned in there recall .

has anybody else experienced these parts and Labour not been covered in the product recall.
    Because I feel we are paying for this product recall as it was a product design failure which could potentially go on fire.

Can anybody help out there cos I feel like I've been ripped off I was thinking of taking it to the small claims court.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if all these issues are related to the EGR problem or not. But I find it HIGHLY suspicious that your car is suddenly manifesting all of these problems. Unless you have truly and unfortunately purchased a lemon.

I would say push back on these claims - continue to pursue the line you've been taking with them. If they still try to squeeze you, I would be notifying them of your intention to carry out an independent evaluation, followed by potential legal action for extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I received a call from a main dealer here in the UK yesterday regards the ERG cooler. I did quiz him up regards the technical campaign and it became obvious he didnt know very much. It looks as if the ERG cooler replacement campaign has been widened covering cars from before the December 2014 date stated in the Autocar article.

My build date is Sept 2014 and I noticed on the VOSA site that the recall was issued at least 03/10/2019. It's not on BMWs own recall site (where you check via the VIN). My car was in for a MOT and vehicle check at the main BMW dealer in June 19 and not a word was mentioned.

I asked regards lead times, workshop but got the usual fob off. Availability regards booking in the car is Nov when a courtesy car is available. The service advisor declined to give a copy of the BMW technical bulletin as I wanted to see for myself what's required and the action points. Redesigned cooler apparently.

492160.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

We brought our 162 x5 25d in to the dealer for and end of warranty check on Monday last.
    This car already had egr valve replaced when the car broke down as a result of failure about two years ago. When they plugged the car into the system an immediate recall came up and they said that they weren’t allowed release the vehicle until the cooler had been changed as it was as a fire risk. This was done straight away and we got the car back the same day albeit after a few hours extra.
    They said the recall wasn’t on the system when the car was booked in a couple of weeks ago so it was a new recall that BMW have just started for more models.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

BMW have known about the X5 being included in the EGR episode for some time. I received a recall letter for my 151 last March (dated January)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

carsfan2 wrote: »
    We brought our 162 x5 25d in to the dealer for and end of warranty check on Monday last.
    This car already had egr valve replaced when the car broke down as a result of failure about two years ago. When they plugged the car into the system an immediate recall came up and they said that they weren’t allowed release the vehicle until the cooler had been changed as it was as a fire risk. This was done straight away and we got the car back the same day albeit after a few hours extra.
    They said the recall wasn’t on the system when the car was booked in a couple of weeks ago so it was a new recall that BMW have just started for more models.

I rang the central BMW customer service number to ask a few more questions. Date of the most recent recall for my car was issued the 25th of September 2019.

I did enquire regards lead times and I was told 80% of the dealers in the UK now had parts (I am taking this with a pinch of salt)...although there is probably a considerable number of cars backed up as the workshops get through the backlog of vehicles leading to a delay.

Asked regards impact of Brexit on supply chain (the revised parts are coming from Germany and I am based in the UK)...no impact I was told :confused:

They also didnt seem to have any knowledge of availability of their branches or the 20% of dealers who dont have the revised ERG cooler.

Replacement vehicles are organised by Enterprise in the UK. You have to pay an fee for insurance costs. Persumably this is for the duration of the hire which is unknown due to BMW themselves not knowing how long it will take. Meanwhile the customer has to pay to drive a car which isnt theirs due to a design flaw in a "premium vehicle". Must be said fantastic service :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

freddieot wrote: »
    BMW have known about the X5 being included in the EGR episode for some time. I received a recall letter for my 151 last March (dated January)

Yes, but our car was supposedly already fixed as a result of the egr failing and as such we were told before it didn’t need any further work when I queried it. On Monday we were told this is a new recall just issued...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

carsfan2 wrote: »
    . When they plugged the car into the system an immediate recall came up and they said that they weren’t allowed release the vehicle until the cooler had been changed as it was as a fire risk.

It's such a fire risk that we can't let you leave with it.

No we couldn't be arsed telling you before now.

After all the exhaustive testing these designs go through, bajillioms of engineering man hours... Still more likely to kill you than a simple addition of a hardwired dash cam.

I'm shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

sk8board wrote: »
    A bit late now, but can you get the annual extension from bmw-warranty.ie?h
    Put your reg into the homepage and see what it quotes.
    For ref, I’ve a 152 420d gc with 80k km and i pay €415 annually. Well worth checking - they cover up to 160,000 or 10 years old.

I got the egr recall notice and had it done in April same day.

I just checked this out, I have a 12 reg F10 MSport with 90km and...

ONLINE QUOTATION
    Unfortunately we are unable to offer a product for this vehicle. Please call BMW Warranty Services on 1 850 940 200 to speak to a member of our team who will be happy to help you.

For the "Ultimate Driving Machine" BMW are just a cesspit of money sucking cars with the worst customer service akin to RyanAir..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Torres09 wrote: »
    For the "Ultimate Driving Machine" BMW are just a cesspit of money sucking cars with the worst customer service akin to RyanAir..

Kia and Hyundai must be loving the exposure as the go to stand ins for the Ultimate Driving Machine undergoing urgent fire prevention work. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Torres09 wrote: »
    I just checked this out, I have a 12 reg F10 MSport with 90km and...

ONLINE QUOTATION
    Unfortunately we are unable to offer a product for this vehicle. Please call BMW Warranty Services on 1 850 940 200 to speak to a member of our team who will be happy to help you.

You need to stop looking at it the old way of buying a car, you are buying the all new bmw experience

The all new modern joyful bmw experience is available from only about :

€600 / 1000kilometres

Advertisement