Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Bowl LIII - Rams v Patriots

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,936 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imo no true sportsman would like to see the Rams win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

eagle eye wrote: »

You must have been delighted when the Eagles won last year then, as surely the Patriots' Super Bowl run was propped up by home field advantage won via the Jesse James call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Imo your opinion is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It does change things because the game was over only for that no call.
    What about the fake call on roughing the passer? Without that it is likely not NE in the superbowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

This must be a wind up. "No true sportsman". Pull the other one.

I couldn't care less who wins. But i think im going to shout against all the "True sportsmen". Sorry lads.

You must have been delighted when the Eagles won last year then, as surely the Patriots' Super Bowl run was propped up by home field advantage won via the Jesse James call?
    Thay was a correct call.

PhuckHugh2 wrote:
    This must be a wind up. "No true sportsman". Pull the other one.
    Who are you? I'd love me to know who I'm talking to here. Just to see if you were a thanks whore with your previous username

Thay was a correct call.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    What about the fake call on roughing the passer? Without that it is likely not NE in the superbowl

What fake call?

What fake call?
    When roughing the passer was called (IIRC on 3rd down towards the end of the game) on Brady yet he wasn't touched.

• Advertisement

Who are you? I'd love me to know who I'm talking to here. Just to see if you were a thanks whore with your previous username

Who am I? haha. Who are you? This is my first time signing up here was lurking for a while.

*Also what is a thanks whore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but boiling down your belief of whether a team should or shouldn’t be in a Super Bowl based in isolation of one ref call is just utterly stupid.

Foxtrol wrote:
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but boiling down your belief of whether a team should or shouldn’t be in a Super Bowl based in isolation of one ref call is just utterly stupid.
    Thanks for the insult.

The Saints brought the NFL to court over it.
    It wasn't one call because there was two fouls. The whole stadium seen but all the officials missed it.
    It's more than just one call. It was a game over call.
    Saints should be in the Superbowl. Rams should not, they don't belong there.

Thanks for the insult.

Goes well with your ‘insult’ to a wide group of people implying that anyone who wants to see the Rams win isn’t a ‘true sportsperson’.
    The Saints brought the NFL to court over it.
    It wasn't one call because there was two fouls. The whole stadium seen but all the officials missed it.
    It's more than just one call. It was a game over call.
    Saints should be in the Superbowl. Rams should not, they don't belong there.

Saints bringing the NFL to court is even more stupid. If they actually won that case then the NFL would pretty much have to shut down the league. Every team can then have a replay for every bad ref decision in each game. Where could they possibly draw the line? Should a team only not be in the Super Bowl if they get a ref call towards the end of the game? Even if you said only the end of the game, what does that mean - in the last minute or last five minutes? You see it worse because of it being two fouls, what about two PI fouls on two different players?

Even without that call the Saints had multiple further chances to win and they blew it. Get over it (coming from a fan who watched his team lose a Super Bowl to some blatant poor reffing).

Foxtrol wrote:
    Saints bringing the NFL to court is even more stupid. If they actually won that case then the NFL would pretty much have to shut down the league. Every team can then have a replay for every bad ref decision in each game. Where could they possibly draw the line? Should a team only not be in the Super Bowl if they get a ref call towards the end of the game? Even if you said only the end of the game, what does that mean - in the last minute or last five minutes? You see it worse because of it being two fouls, what about two PI fouls on two different players?
    There is a rule to allow a replay of the time left. There is nothing stupid about their court case.
    Foxtrol wrote:
    Even without that call the Saints had multiple further chances to win and they blew it. Get over it (coming from a fan who watched his team lose a Super Bowl to some blatant poor reffing).
    It's irrelevant how many chances they had, the game is over if that call is made.

It was a brutal throw from Brees. It would have been a pick 6 by Coleman if he actually turned around.

Its really just justice for the antics the Saints were up to during their last superbowl win. Karma is a bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The court case brought by the Saints was rejected yesterday.

There was no court case brought by the Saints. The case was raised by two Saints fans.
    It's only now, unless there is an appeal to a higher court, that we are certain of what two teams will play the Superbowl.

Oh trust me, it was certain 2 weeks ago who'd be playing in the Super Bowl. If you think that case had any hope, you're living on a different planet.

My question to you is - had the correct call been made and the Saints thus ran out the clock and kicked the winning FG with 1 second left - would you be equally as appalled given the missed face mask on Jared Goff on the previous drive?

After all, that would have given LA 1st and Goal at the 1 with a chance to take the lead (they settled for a FG because of the missed call).

Would you be on here supporting a Rams court case instead? Where do you - you personally - draw the line and why?

There is a rule to allow a replay of the time left. There is nothing stupid about their court case.

It's irrelevant how many chances they had, the game is over if that call is made.

It actually does matter because a bad ref call that gives a team multiple different opportunities to still win (eg milk the clock more, score a TD, stop Rams on the last drive, score in OT) couldn’t possibly fall under the rule that you are trying to force here, as it can’t be deemed ‘extraordinarily unfair act’. If one bad ref call is deemed to be extraordinarily unfair act, then every bad call would then mean replaying the game.

I’m starting to suspect you’re hedging your bets in case your ‘underdog’ Patriots lose and you can then claim some sort of moral victory. Don’t worry, you’re going to hammer them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ELM327 wrote: »
    When roughing the passer was called (IIRC on 3rd down towards the end of the game) on Brady yet he wasn't touched.

you recall wrong. It was a second and 7 play. It didnt keep the drive alive. The patriots were down 4 and had no issues completing third down plays at other stages in the game. It was a terrible call, no doubt.

What about two plays later when Eric Berry threw up a saddle on Gronkowski and there was no flag? Should every one pi$$ and moan about every little play on every game?

29qjmdg.png

The bogus call on Brady had very little impact on the result of that game. The non call on the Saints had a far far greater impact. There is no comparison between the 2 incidents at all.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    you recall wrong. It was a second and 7 play. It didnt keep the drive alive. The patriots were down 4 and had no issues completing third down plays at other stages in the game. It was a terrible call, no doubt.

What about two plays later when Eric Berry threw up a saddle on Gronkowski and there was no flag? Should every one pi$$ and moan about every little play on every game?

The bogus call on Brady had very little impact on the result of that game. The non call on the Saints had a far far greater impact. There is no comparison between the 2 incidents at all.

The point is that you can Pi$$ and moan about calls in every game and it is pointless to look at them in isolation. Patriots DBs similarly had their hands all over the Chiefs WRs for most of the game, but that’s the way in the playoffs. Rams had several clear bad calls that went the Saints way.

What is crazy is when you pick specific bad calls and either demand a game is replayed or claim that the team who got them doesn’t deserve to be in the Super Bowl.

Foxtrol wrote:
    I’m starting to suspect you’re hedging your bets in case your ‘underdog’ Patriots lose and you can then claim some sort of moral victory. Don’t worry, you’re going to hammer them.
    If it were a team who got there fairly then I'd have no issue if we lose.
    I want this one more than any other one we have been in due to the travesty in New Orleans.
    I'd love if they came out after the win, if they win, and tell the Saints fans that they are sharing it with them.
    I don't hedge my bets. It's going to be a close game imo. It could go very right for us or very wrong but I think with those two coaches it's unlikely to be anything other than a very close game.
    Donald and Suh vs Patriots offensive line will be very interesting. Patriots D vs the Rams run is another key part to this game. I don't believe Goff can succeed in this game without a successful run game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smokingdick

Who’s the half time act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Who’s the half time act

Snoop Dogg. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Who’s the half time act

The band who shall never be forgiven for that ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Apparently a bit of Spongebob will be thrown in to honour the creator who recently died. Not too sure how they'll manage that but should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The point is that you can Pi$$ and moan about calls in every game and it is pointless to look at them in isolation. Patriots DBs similarly had their hands all over the Chiefs WRs for most of the game, but that’s the way in the playoffs. Rams had several clear bad calls that went the Saints way.

What is crazy is when you pick specific bad calls and either demand a game is replayed or claim that the team who got them doesn’t deserve to be in the Super Bowl.

And I've never said different. I addressed a poster who claimed that if the patriots didn't get a call on a second and seven play with over 7 minutes left and only 4 points down, it is "likely that the patriots don't get to the Superbowl." whilst I agree with your point, there are ups and downs on calls during games, but the comparison being made between this call and the one in the saints game are completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

The fact that it took Goodell so long to address the non call looks bad for the NFL. Anyway as a nfl fan im just hoping for a decent ball game to end what i feel has been a great season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The band who shall never be forgiven for that ad.

Jesus I had completely forgotten about that ad until you as subtly as possible referred to it in your post :pac:

Oh fcuk that ad drove me demented during the World Cup!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

markc91 wrote: »
    Gonna be in NYC next sunday with the OH for the Superbowl, anyone been there before while its on and can recommend a good bar to watch it in?

Blondies Sports, 212 W 79th St, New York, NY 10024

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's a long old day today and still another 5 hours to wait.

• Advertisement

It's a long old day today and still another 5 hours to wait.

I don't think I'll make it at this stage. Was shopping this morning at 8 and the scoops are flowing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Must be the most quiet and tame build up to a Super Bowl that I can ever remember.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that it wasn’t even on this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

I would like to see Patriots win but their owner Robert Kraft is a buddy of Trump so not too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Maroon 5 half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Paully D wrote: »
    Must be the most quiet and tame build up to a Super Bowl that I can ever remember.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that it wasn’t even on this weekend.

Yeah it's a strange one. I've kept up with the build up but I've not been watching everything I can either unlike last year and this week seemed to go very fast. I'll watch it obviously but I don't know, there isn't the usual hype or at least I don't feel the hype.

I actually hate listening to the build up. I had NFL Network on there for a while and it was just painful to listen to. I'll tune in at about 23:38 and hopefully will have missed the national anthem and the rest of the crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Rams surely. Patriots incompetent RBs to help.

Rams surely. Patriots incompetent RBs to help.
    Well obviously you haven't a clue.

I'm happy with no build up. All about the game. I'll see it tonight or tomorrow (avoiding the score).

Well obviously you haven't a clue.

Oh right let’s see I’ve screenshot this for later. But your right not got a clue, have you ever been to a live game or just a casual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm gonna skip first half and half time show get a good sleep Patriots comeback special is written in the stars 41-38 in OT to the Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Guffy

Oh right let’s see I’ve screenshot this for later. But your right not got a clue, have you ever been to a live game or just a casual.

lol

I'm gonna skip first half and half time show get a good sleep Patriots comeback special is written in the stars 41-38 in OT to the Pats.

As comprehensive as the panthers win against pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Damien360

fawlty682 wrote: »
    I would like to see Patriots win but their owner Robert Kraft is a buddy of Trump so not too bothered.

Listened to Jason Bell and Osi podcast recently, and they said both owners paid toward Trumps funding.

They figured Rams will shutdown Patriots run game and have the coverage against the throw game in the secondary.

I managed to watch most of the season and playoffs and the Rams shouldn't have taken the Saints game, especially with the crap call. So personally I'm rooting for the Patriots. The way they ruled over the Chiefs for most of the game and had more options going forward makes them favorites for me.

Hoping for a tight scoring game. Superbowl has been great the last few years.

Out of curiosity, how many here will avoid the Sky coverage and their useless presenter and stick to BBC, disregarding those of you steaming US channels.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Listened to Jason Bell and Osi podcast recently, and they said both owners paid toward Trumps funding.

They figured Rams will shutdown Patriots run game and have the coverage against the throw game in the secondary.

I managed to watch most of the season and playoffs and the Rams shouldn't have taken the Saints game, especially with the crap call. So personally I'm rooting for the Patriots. The way they ruled over the Chiefs for most of the game and had more options going forward makes them favorites for me.

Hoping for a tight scoring game. Superbowl has been great the last few years.

Out of curiosity, how many here will avoid the Sky coverage and their useless presenter and stick to BBC, disregarding those of you steaming US channels.

I’m watching network most of the day absolute nonsense I’ll be sticking to bbc

I was a season ticket holder for two seasons in the 90's at Foxboro Stadium.
    I've been to 27 Patriots games, 25 home games and two on the road.

As for my comment, Sony Michel leads rushing and rushing TD's in the playoffs. He is complimented by James White who has the most receptions in the playoffs and the biggest receiving yardage for a running back.

The problem with sticking with BBC is that you have to see Jason Bell.

Damien360 wrote: »

Like the argument earlier in the week about someone rooting for The Rams because Brady is a Trump fan, if you base your support on owners' political leanings, you'll have very few teams to choose from.

I was a season ticket holder for two seasons in the 90's at Foxboro Stadium.
    I've been to 27 Patriots games, 25 home games and two on the road.

As for my comment, Sony Michel leads rushing and rushing TD's in the playoffs. He is complimented by James White who has the most receptions in the playoffs and the biggest receiving yardage for a running back.

I’ve been at 5 games this year, I’ve been to multiples over the years. I believe SM will struggle and will be nullified by the rams tonight. If wrong I will hold my hands up but don’t think I will be.

• Advertisement

I’ve been at 5 games this year, I’ve been to multiples over the years. I believe SM will struggle and will be nullified by the rams tonight. If wrong I will hold my hands up but don’t think I will be.

My mickey is bigger than your mickey.

Advertisement