Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Bowl LIII - Rams v Patriots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Anybody know what commentary BBC will be going with? Have a feeling from previous years that they don't use the main broadcast crew but can't see anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

Ive had the rams backed since week 5 think Ill put a lump on the Patriots - as much as I despise them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

markc91 wrote: »
    Gonna be in NYC next sunday with the OH for the Superbowl, anyone been there before while its on and can recommend a good bar to watch it in?

I was in NYC years ago for a Superbowl and watched it at http://www.playwrightirishpubnyc.com/ had a great night

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

kmart6 wrote: »
    Anybody know what commentary BBC will be going with? Have a feeling from previous years that they don't use the main broadcast crew but can't see anything online.

I'm fairly sure last year they had Michaels & Collinsworth, but the year before that your right in that they had some other commentary team that wasn't Buck/Aikman.

I'd be slightly surprised if they didn't have Nantz/Romo next Sunday, but it might be out of their control. Have to wait & see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Eagles were 5 point underdogs last year.

For the year thats in it, I'm going to go for the underdog this year again. Somebody (ANYBODY PLEEEAASEEE) will get to TB12.

A reverse of the conference finals, Brady to go through the air, CJ/Gurley ground and pound.

Rams by 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure last year they had Michaels & Collinsworth, but the year before that your right in that they had some other commentary team that wasn't Buck/Aikman.

I'd be slightly surprised if they didn't have Nantz/Romo next Sunday, but it might be out of their control. Have to wait & see I guess.
    Yeah last year they had the Michaels/Collinsworth NBC commentary. Two previous years 2016 & 2017 they used an international commentary feed, I'm sure they would have used the CBS and Fox commentaries those years if they were allowed must have been some issue but after the return of the network commentary last year hopefully they will have the CBS feed on the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anybody know if you watch it on Gamepass do you see the half time ads the Americans see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Anybody know if you watch it on Gamepass do you see the half time ads the Americans see?

Yes you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Paully D wrote: »

Does nobody ever tell these lads the value of a closed mouth?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Paully D wrote: »

Sensationalist crap really. He said very little of substance, but been blown out of proportion.
    Yes. Yes. Age has definitely taken a toll. For him to still be doing it, that’s a great compliment for him. But I think that he’s definitely not the same quarterback he was,” Robey-Coleman said. “Movement. Speed. Velocity. Arm strength. He still can sling it, but he’s not slinging it as much. Whatever he was doing—because of his age and all that—he’s not doing as much of that anymore. He’s still doing the same things; he’s just not doing as much of it. And sometimes, it’s not the sharpest. But it still gets done

He obviously had a leading question that he expanded on and nothing of what he says isnt true, but the media have ran with it and its another "bet against us" stick for the Patriots to run with. If nothing else, he is just dumb to respond to anything. I know its bred into the Patriots to give dumb monotone answers, but they usually end up with no bulletin board material for the opposition then. In one regard I pity him, as he was honest and said nothing too trashy, on the other hand, it's superbowl week and you're playing Brady, dont give him a reason to do this to you as Anthony Smith and his guarantee found out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58XTEGkmDk

Brady ran 70 yards to get in his face and remind him of what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Line has moved from Rams -1.5 to Rams +2 in the space of a week and a bit.

Think that's a bit of an over reaction. Id still have the Rams a slight favorite. Thought the -1.5 was fair. If by any chance they hit +3 it will be an all in and hope for the best type job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I think the Rams (and Sean McVay) have gone from a situation where they were probably a bit over-rated to being under-rated. Them sneaking by NOLA has done them the world of good as it feels like all the hype is on NE now. Apparently in LA all the sporting talk is centred around the potential transfer of Anthony Davis to the Lakers, and you'd barely know there was a football game coming up.

I don't see this game as anything other than 50/50. LA have the superior squad, with NE having the better QB and HC. I'm finding it very hard to pick a winner but will go with LA due to them having more players who can break open a game.
    If it wasn't for last year's SB, I'd fancy this to be a high-scoring game, but I can't see BB letting that happen for a second year running. A high-scoring game would suit LA more I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I can't see BB letting that happen for a second year running
    Maybe he'll surprise us again and bench a secondary starter for the entire game :P

Maybe he'll surprise us again and bench a secondary starter for the entire game :P

Oh jesus don't even joke about that. I'm still sore over last year! Mostly about the strip-sack on the would-be-final-drive, but also that. We were carved up:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Think the Pats are rightful favourites given the difference in trust levels you'd have in Brady compared to Goff going into a game like this. I'd expect the line to hit +3 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Aaron Donald and Dante Fowler to stop Tom Brady :p Come on Rams!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wade Phillips comes across as having a great sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Tristram wrote: »
    Wade Phillips comes across as having a great sense of humour.

He's a very likable guy.

Which, if I remember correctly, was one of the reasons floated as to why he wasn't a successful head coach at Dallas. I remember talk of him being "one of the guys", i.e. too friendly with the players and not ruthless enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Morrison J wrote: »
    I'd expect the line to hit +3 to be honest.

Id be very shocked if the line hit 3. Books would be absolutely hammered by professional money if they went 3 imo.

Edit: Actually reading that one of the Vegas books had the line at 3 for a total of 17 minutes last week before racking up 6 figures in bets on the Rams.
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/betting/south-point-moves-super-bowl-line-to-rams-plus-3-for-17-minutes-1579406/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Hoping the Rams win,if nothing but for the amazing football they played earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Looking at a few bets and one that stood out is Brady to throw a TD in the 4th quarter at just under evens. Seems like an absolute banker. Am I wrong?

Looking at a few bets and one that stood out is Brady to throw a TD in the 4th quarter at just under evens. Seems like an absolute banker. Am I wrong?

He'll undoubtedly lead a TD drive or two, but a lot of the time the TDs go to the RBs. He only had 1 passing TD vs LAC despite putting up 41 points, and 1 passing TD vs KC despite putting up 37 points. On the contrary there were 8 rushing TDs in those game, 5 for Michel and 3 for Burkhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

He'll undoubtedly lead a TD drive or two, but a lot of the time the TDs go to the RBs. He only had 1 passing TD vs LAC despite putting up 41 points, and 1 passing TD vs KC despite putting up 37 points. On the contrary there were 8 rushing TDs in those game, 5 for Michel and 3 for Burkhead.

interesting. good insight mate. might be better to lean towards michel. They've been going to him a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Going for a Rams win. Was very impressed how well they shut down the Saints rushing attack and made some big stops in the red zone early on to keep them in the NFC championship game.

If they can do the same with the Patriots - a big IF - they have the pass rush to get to Brady like the Eagles did last year. Looking forward to it - should be a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

PhuckHugh2 wrote: »
    Id be very shocked if the line hit 3. Books would be absolutely hammered by professional money if they went 3 imo.

Edit: Actually reading that one of the Vegas books had the line at 3 for a total of 17 minutes last week before racking up 6 figures in bets on the Rams.
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/betting/south-point-moves-super-bowl-line-to-rams-plus-3-for-17-minutes-1579406/

phuckhugh 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,612 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

cosatron wrote:
    how the patriots o-line deal with Donald-suh- brooker will determine the outcome of the game. I think the patriots haven't faced a dline like this with pressure coming from the interior. If suh and Donald get a push up the middle and brady has to move around the pocket, it will throw off allot of there timing routes. In all fariness brady has had an armchair ride the last 2 games.
    If they are getting through you'll see a lot of the hot route aka James White.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,480 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I expect white to get 15+ receptions if the rams manage to get pressure up the middle and get in brady's face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I do not see the Rams winning this tbh. They don't have the run D capable, in my mind, to stop what the Pats will do to them. I would expect Patriots to be around the 5 yards per carry mark.

Rams obviously have a stellar offense and can put teams away, but you just know BB has a scheme for them and has been following their play all year.

It'll be a score game, I think, but ultimately I see Patriots winning if they avoid major turning points like a pick six.

Excited for the game nevertheless.

Advertisement