Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Bowl LIII - Rams v Patriots

Options
  • 21-01-2019 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Brady's 6th ring.

We will never see the likes again.

MOD Note: Please keep it civil on this thread. The general tone of discussion recently hasn't been great so I will be using more warnings and Bans for the next 2 weeks. don't say you haven't been warned.

Who wins? 111 votes

Rams
    90% 100 votes
    Pats
    9% 11 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

really looking forward to this.

Would love to see Brady win and walk off into the sunset.
    But would also love to see the Rams win, such an existing team this year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've updated the poll to extend it to the day of the game. Unlike Heli I'm hoping both teams find a way to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Shocked the Patriots are only 1.5 point favourites here.

They’ll win at a canter IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I fancy the patriots to win this by 2 or 3 touchdowns there so well coached , Belichick will find a way to shut down that rams offense like he did to the chiefs in 1st half .Brady will go about his business and pick the rams apart to cruise to his sixth ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Annoyingly, it's really hard to bet against Brady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

troyzer wrote: »
    Annoyingly, it's really hard to bet against Brady.

He hasnt too long left ... I get people are probably sick of him but they should also enjoy him while he is still around. I dont think we will ever see the likes again.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    He hasnt too long left ... I get people are probably sick of him but they should also enjoy him while he is still around. I dont think we will ever see the likes again.

Maybe. I just hate his guts. He's not a very likable person and every one likes the underdog.

Maybe. I just hate his guts. He's not a very likable person and every one likes the underdog.

That's a bit strong bro.... I'd say he's a lovely guy.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    That's a bit strong bro.... I'd say he's a lovely guy.

Nah, he's really not. He's a big Trump supporter and he also has no class on and off the pitch. He's a great player but he's not a great winner and is generally just obnoxious.

Aaron Rodgers for example is incredibly likeable. He doesn't take things too seriously, is consistently excellent but is also funny and down to Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Aaron Rodgers for example is incredibly likeable. He doesn't take things too seriously, is consistently excellent but is also funny and down to Earth.

Yeah, a real family-man too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I fancy the patriots to win this by 2 or 3 touchdowns there so well coached , Belichick will find a way to shut down that rams offense like he did to the chiefs in 1st half .Brady will go about his business and pick the rams apart to cruise to his sixth ring.

The Patriots DST performed rather well in the 1st half alright, highly agressive and precise. Imo a large part of that was the chiefs offense was not firing either.
    The RAMS have had the toughest regular season schedule of the playoff teams (again imo :) ), with close games and comebacks, so hopefully they are fairly tough at this stage.

Although I'd have the Patriots as favourites I think writing off the Rams would be a dangerous angle. Their weakest link is Goff but they have a savage DL and a beast in Talib. The RB situation is intriguing as well. Whatever happens I'm looking forward to the coaching matchup, the supreme master vs. the young revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

troyzer wrote:
    Nah, he's really not. He's a big Trump supporter and he also has no class on and off the pitch. He's a great player but he's not a great winner and is generally just obnoxious.

Tbh it's a bit of a stretch disliking a man due to his political leanings (in the context of the nfl). I was up for the chiefs alright (have a soft for them anyway), but it would be hard not to admit how good those Pat's can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Is it true Romo will have a direct link to Rams defence to make the play calls?

:D

I thought you were being serious for a minute ---- Everyone detests Rodgers.

no.8 wrote: »
    Tbh it's a bit of a stretch disliking a man due to his political leanings (in the context of the nfl). I was up for the chiefs alright (have a soft for them anyway), but it would be hard not to admit how good those Pat's can be.

It's not just his politics. It's his general brand of selfishness. Shouting at team mates, being a dick, celebrating after a 1 yard sneak like he ran the length of the field, his obsessive self promotion etc.

His entire personality dovetails perfectly with the Trump empire.

Still a great player but one of my happiest NFL moments was watching him after going 18-1.

Having said that, it's hard not to admire Belichick and what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Good luck to the mods for the next two weeks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Romo's been great to listen to.

Long may it continue

Romo's been great to listen to.

Long may it continue

I hope he gets a long career out of punditry, he's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    This has to be the worst comparison i've ever seen and i hope you are joking.

As for Trump. I don't buy for a minute that he still supports him.
    He never went to the White house after the Superbowl which apparently soured the relationship.
    Even the biggest Trump haters in the media thought Trump was a nice guy until he started to show his real colours.
    The help he gave Robert Craft when his wife had cancer, brought him close to a lot of the Patriot players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Brady doesn't have to worry about sponsors or endorsments, he just worries about winning which means that all non-Pats fans won't like him but Pats fans will love him. His wife is proper minted which means that Brady can concentrate on himself, when other players are spending days recording ads or making extra money he's concentrating on himself and making himself better, ffs his salary is 1 of the smallests for a quarter back in the NFL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

criticising a player for being "a big Trump supporter" when it has been clear that after Brady snubbed the White House visit, when Brady criticised Trump over his kneeling comments and when Bradys wife Giselle confirmed that neither voted for Trump, its obvious that whatever relationship there was is gone. But to then compare an "incredibly likeable" player who has shunned his entire family just makes this even better.

Everyone is entitled to "hate his guts" but at least hate him for proper reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It's not just his politics. It's his general brand of selfishness. Shouting at team mates, being a dick, celebrating after a 1 yard sneak like he ran the length of the field, his obsessive self promotion etc.

His entire personality dovetails perfectly with the Trump empire.

Still a great player but one of my happiest NFL moments was watching him after going 18-1.

Having said that, it's hard not to admire Belichick and what he does.
    If you hate Brady, probably the one guy in the league that could be a total dick given all his achievements/records/rings/wins....., then you must hate 99.9% of the players in the league; cause they all shout, celebrate minor plays, .... and most have only a fraction of what Brady has done.

You have an issue with Trump. Guess what, likely that half the players voted Trump.

It’s actually funny that you’re calling him a dick.

Clareman wrote: »
    other players are spending days recording ads or making extra money
    Brady has done plenty of ads, and extra stuff to make money.
    It’s a weak argument.

Surprised there’s some saying the Pats will win easily.
    2001 win by 3pts
    2003 win by 3pts
    2004 win by 3pts
    2007 lost by 3pts
    2011 lost by 4pts
    2014 win by 4pts
    2016 win by 6pts (OT TD)
    2017 lost by 8pts

8 games, all within a score.
    8 games, nett 4pts difference

Game 9 I expect to be another nail bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

As a broncos fan I thought id never find myself rooting for the patriots to win the superbowl but I just find something very unlikeable about the rams.Players like goff and peters come across as very smug, Goff isnt even that great hes just benefiting from great playcalling from mc vay.The Nfl have done everything in their power to get them to a superbowl hoping they might have some chance of filling their new stadium when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The amount of falcons fans gloating about saints losing a 14-0 lead.... Yes because that's worse than 28-3 in the super bowl.... Like what

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Brady has done plenty of ads, and extra stuff to make money.
    It’s a weak argument.

It's a weak argument especially since he has done ads for uggs ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Would love to see Brady win and walk off into the sunset.

Personally I would love to see him lose - and walk off into the sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Personally I would love to see him lose - and walk off into the sunset.

Would that loss (if it happens) drive him to keep going to win his sixth title?

Patriots to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

The Rams shouldn't even be in this game. The Saints threw the NFC game away regardless of the PI call :rolleyes:

Also whats going on with Todd Gurley?

I just can't see McVay outhinking Belichick so going to go with the Patriots to win. They'll keep Donald away from Brady and run through the Rams defence where its weakest.

Advertisement