Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog with colic

Options
  • 02-01-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Hi Not sure if I posted here before about this problem. Our dog is almost 8 and this last year he had developed this wind/colic problem. We have had him to the vets countless times. The last time was a few weeks before xmas. That time we were told to avoid chicken at all costs, he never ate much chicken anyway.

Early this morning it started again you can hear his tummy rumbling and he just cant settle he's in and out all day.

He wants to go out a walk and he would walk to the end of the earth and back which is not like him at all, normally you would have to fight to get him to go out

He is a bishon x poodle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

What do you currently feed him? When he goes to the toilet is it runny/jelly like/ any blood in it? Is it likely that he's gotten any extra bits of fatty foods or anything over Xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Bells21 wrote: »
    What do you currently feed him? When he goes to the toilet is it runny/jelly like/ any blood in it? Is it likely that he's gotten any extra bits of fatty foods or anything over Xmas?

No we wouldnt really give him much other than his usual dog food even over xmas. When he is like this he would usually eat grass to make himself sick it will either do that or come out the other end.

He has started to settle a bit now

Glad to hear he's feeling a little better. Maybe it would be an idea to jot down each time it happens, what it looks like, what he's had to eat and when he's eaten beforehand etc. You may be able to pin point something that's causing it that way. I'd also visit the vet again and discuss it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

lulu1 wrote: »
    No we wouldnt really give him much other than his usual dog food even over xmas. When he is like this he would usually eat grass to make himself sick it will either do that or come out the other end.

He has started to settle a bit now

What do you give him besides his usual food?

McCrack wrote: »
    What do you give him besides his usual food?

He got a small piece of toast yesterday but nothing worth talking about.

I am starting to think it is dairy products as there was butter on the toast and another time i remember there were visitors in the house and they gave him some ice cream

Would that make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It sounds more like pancreatitis - has he been tested for it? Its a snap blood test the vet can do and it needs to be done when he’s symptomatic so when his tummy is rumbling. If it IS panc you need to feed small and often so eg my guy gets 3 meals a day spaced out instead of 2. He’s fed a low fat diet and gets digestive enzymes with each meal too. If he doesn’t have supper he could have a flare up and would have the symptoms you describe so gurgling tummy and vomiting foam and one time even blood(!). I don’t let him eat grass and get sick as it just prolongs the flare up. Once he has the gurgling and vomiting now I know I can’t turn it around (I could in the past) so I take him for the anti nausea shot. Otherwise we could have days and days of sleepless nights and it’s just not fair on him.
    Don’t underestimate it because it’s very painful and the pain killer injection itself for it when it’s bad is very very painful for them - he’s needed it once and was crying and yelping in pain when he got it :(

Oh and when he does have a flare up I feed wet food for a few days - Rocco sensitive from zooplus

No he has never been tested for it as far as I know unless the vet did the test herself and never said.

He seem to be back to himself now but I am going to keep a record of what he eats just too see if anything triggers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP could it be BLOAT? Worth discussing with your vet

Your dog might just be sensitive, so keeping a track of what he eats and especially when he has a flare-up would be a good idea

Is your dogs tummy hard/distended a bit? My dog who was inclined to Bloat had similar symptoms to your guy - gurgling, discomfort/unable to settle, eating grass etc. We found over the years that there were certain foods he shouldnt eat, so we fed him a home cooked diet. He ate 3 smaller meals/day. no walks after eating etc.

we think that there must be something bringing on the flare up

The thing is he cant eat when his tummy is full off wind

He has hardly eaten a bite all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

we think that there must be something bringing on the flare up

The thing is he cant eat when his tummy is full off wind

He has hardly eaten a bite all day

My dog was very unwell when he had a episode, uncomfortable and restless, panting, we had to wait for it to pass, which was nervewracking. We would give him very gentle small amounts of food next day, with lots of rest.

How often does he have an episode OP?
    What food are you currently feeding?
    Have you tried a "sensitive" food?
    Could he be eating something disgusting on walks or when he's outside?
    Is he overweight?
    Does he chew toys etc a lot? Could he be ingesting something that is causing a blockage?

We never did find what it was that caused our dogs bloat episodes. Thankfully they passed over after a day of discomfort. Once we moved to a homecooked diet it definitely helped, he had skin issues too, so we thought allergies were at the root of the whole problem

• Advertisement

The last one was about a few weeks before xmas. i would say he would have them one day out of every month.

He would never chew anything or even pick anything up off the floor and to our knowledge he hasn't eaten anything on walks.

He's not overweight

Not sure of the name off the food but its a tinned variety.

He's just back from a walk and doing his usual thing. We put a towel on the floor and he dries himself so that's a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I am not a vet, ask your vet etc but my dog had pancreatitis and got something like what you describe when she ate almost anything.

The royal canin gastrointestinal dry food worked wonders for her, and once we had stopped her symptoms entirely I could try different foods tosee if there was anything else she wasn't uncomfortable on.

It might be worth a shot. But if you're feeding it feed literally nothing else- no scraps or titbits.

Latatian wrote: »
    I am not a vet, ask your vet etc but my dog had pancreatitis and got something like what you describe when she ate almost anything.

The royal canin gastrointestinal dry food worked wonders for her, and once we had stopped her symptoms entirely I could try different foods tosee if there was anything else she wasn't uncomfortable on.

It might be worth a shot. But if you're feeding it feed literally nothing else- no scraps or titbits.

Could I ask you where you bought this food please Its been 2 weeks today since he has been sick but had a bit of rumbling in the tummy this morning again. He has not eaten A thing except his usual food.
    Went to the pet shop and they say that you can only get this food online or from a vet

Have you gone to your vet with your concerns? If not it's like shooting in the dark. I think it would be wise to get some advice and then you'd be better able to make a plan to help your dog.

Have you gone to your vet with your concerns? If not it's like shooting in the dark. I think it would be wise to get some advice and then you'd be better able to make a plan to help your dog.

+1

If you're not feeding the right food at the right times you're just going around in circles. Possibly you just need to feed smaller meals more often but a vet should be able to advise.

we have been to the vet several times same answer every time dont give him chicken he never got that much at any time. This past few weeks we are keeping him off everything except his normal dog food and he still got the rumbling tummy although this time it didnt last the full day

lulu1 wrote:
    we have been to the vet several times same answer every time dont give him chicken he never got that much at any time. This past few weeks we are keeping him off everything except his normal dog food and he still got the rumbling tummy although this time it didnt last the full day

I would be asking the vet to do some further tests. Especially given that you have been so strict with what you give him but there is still some issue. It seems to me that the vet is just zoning in on the chicken rather than looking at the bigger picture. You obviously are concerned for your pet so don't be afraid to question your vet if you feel you're being fobbed off. Or else look for a recommendation for a different vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Lulu1- I got it from the vet but the large pet shops sometines have it.

What is his usual dog food?

He eats ceaser dog food.

think we may change the vet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

He eats ceaser dog food.

think we may change the vet

OP ceasers is pretty low quality food to be honest .. it’s pretty awful I’m afraid-

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/cesar-dog-food/

I not sure the issue is your vet...

You need to feed your dog a better quality food and possible split the meals to 3 times per day

• Advertisement

The fact that you're feeding ceaser is actually great because it's most likely what's causing the problem! I'd try a 'normal' food before forking out for the likes of hills/rc gasto/id/whatever they call it. If you're happy with feeding wet food Rocco sensitive from Zooplus is low fat and great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Rocco sensitive is actually pretty high in fat, fat is calculated on a dry matter basis, so with dry foods if the packet says 15% fat then it's more or less 15% as there's very little moisture content. With wet foods however you need to calculate what the dry matter fat content is, as wet food is very high in moisture. To do this you take the (fat %) divided by ( 100 - moisture%) multiplied by 100.
    Example rocco sensitive lamb and rice has 7.4% fat and 74% moisture, so 7.4 ÷ (100-74) x 100 = 28.4 % fat. So rocco has 28.4% fat on a dry matter basis.

This link has a calculator and clearer explanation
    https://www.pawdiet.com/articles/dry-matter-basis-calculator-for-pet-food/

What was the reason for no chicken?
    I've 2 collies with sensitive tummies, one of them misdiagnosed with pancreatitis so was on low fat for awhile but it didn't end up helping.
    The biggest helpful things for my dogs are absolutely no gluten or grains, including rice. A little potato seems to be OK. Pro Koalin Enterogenic has worked wonders for my younger dog and Slippery Elm is great for rumbly tummies. I've found the Animonda Sensitive chicken tinned food from zooplus great, it's the lowest fat grain free tinned I can find at 4% (20% on a dry matter basis) so still not exactly low fat but not as high as most. The lamb one is good too but slightly higher in fat.

To be totally honest at the end of the day I had to figure it out myself through trial and error, and although had numerous vet visits I didn't get much help from them apart from antibiotics (which were needed at times)

maggiepip wrote: »
    I've 2 collies with sensitive tummies, one of them misdiagnosed with pancreatitis so was on low fat for awhile but it didn't end up helping.
    The biggest helpful things for my dogs are absolutely no gluten or grains, including rice. A little potato seems to be OK. Pro Koalin Enterogenic has worked wonders for my younger dog and Slippery Elm is great for rumbly tummies. I've found the Animonda Sensitive chicken tinned food from zooplus great, it's the lowest fat grain free tinned I can find at 4% (20% on a dry matter basis) so still not exactly low fat but not as high as most. The lamb one is good too but slightly higher in fat.

To be totally honest at the end of the day I had to figure it out myself through trial and error, and although had numerous vet visits I didn't get much help from them apart from antibiotics (which were needed at times)

In her opinion a dog should not be eating anything that a human would eat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

maggiepip wrote: »

Please be aware many vets are not trained nutritionally and when they are it’s by the makers of Royal Canin etc

OP you need to address what your feeding your dog .. it’s dreadful stuff move him over to a decent food / raw or home cooked .. anything is better than what he is on in all honesty

Thats quite bizzare really, chicken meat would be a pretty natural healthy snack compared to the rubbish cereals, sugars, additives in many dog foods!

Haha winner winner chicken dinner was on the menu here for supper :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I've been feeding my pup Hill's, and a neighbour who has his litter-mate ditto. She (the litter mate) has been a very picky eater all along. My pup has had a problem with diarrhoea a few times.

The neighbour changed his formerly picky pup from Hill's to a fish-based puppy food (on the ingredients it's salmon, plaice, sweet potato and asparagus) brand named Grain Free and she devours it.

I asked the vet, who hadn't heard of this brand ("Grain Free"), but said that if my pup's sister was doing well on it, it was worth my changing. I changed him yesterday and he likes it, and has no more diarrhoea (though this may reflect the antibiotic shot the vet gave him just in case, and the worm tablet, and the probiotic course).

Has anyone come across this as a brand? Any opinions of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Rechuchote wrote: »
    I've been feeding my pup Hill's, and a neighbour who has his litter-mate ditto. She (the litter mate) has been a very picky eater all along. My pup has had a problem with diarrhoea a few times.

The neighbour changed his formerly picky pup from Hill's to a fish-based puppy food (on the ingredients it's salmon, plaice, sweet potato and asparagus) brand named Grain Free and she devours it.

I asked the vet, who hadn't heard of this brand ("Grain Free"), but said that if my pup's sister was doing well on it, it was worth my changing. I changed him yesterday and he likes it, and has no more diarrhoea (though this may reflect the antibiotic shot the vet gave him just in case, and the worm tablet, and the probiotic course).

Has anyone come across this as a brand? Any opinions of it?

Did u get this in your local pet shop & does it have the name of the shop on it, a sticker on the front with the name ?

• Advertisement

I’d assume it’s champion aka nourish rite aka <insert resellers name here >? The link here has a pic of the bag some of them use https://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/cats/champion-/

Advertisement