Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog with colic

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Rechuchote wrote: »

Has anyone come across this as a brand? Any opinions of it?

It's highly unlikely the brand name is 'Grain Free'. That would be a marketing nightmare and impossible to find in an online search if you wanted to buy it online. What else does it say on the bag or can you post a photo of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

We’ve a horrible time with Mr C’s tummy at times and pretty much stick to novel protein, low fat and easy to digest veg.

One thing tho, is that I’m deathly allergic to Salmon so also have a super difficult time trying to find commercially available high end foods as it seems to be a common ingredient, but worry endlessly that he’s not getting the right requirements when I do home cooked. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The brand name is Grain Free. Oddly, though, there's no maker's name or address on it, that I can see.

476683.jpg

476684.jpg

By the way, my pup is crazy about kefir (which I buy and gollish down myself - it's €1.10 a litre from the Moldova shop beside Lidl in Rathmines, and I assume other Eastern European shops. I started going in there for their big buches of dill and flatleaf parsley, €1.50 a bunch, and stayed for the kefir and the vegetables you don't find easily elsewhere, like beetroots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

That's a food made by GA in the UK that is sold to pet shops etc with their own label put on - that one says Pet Parlour.

Where does it say Pet Parlour, and what's GA, please? I can't see any manufacturer's address on it.

• Advertisement

Firstly, change vet.
    Secondly, change food. What breed dog is it?

Why should I change the vet, and why should I change the food?

Border collie puppy, merle, seven months old.

Why should I change the vet, and why should I change the food?

Border collie puppy, merle, seven months old.

If the vet you’ve attended numerous times hasn’t identified the problem but focus on a foodstuff that you don’t use, then go to one who is more experienced. Where are you based?

There are dog foods suited to breed, size and age. Red Mills, Gain and Pedigree are brands I’ve used and trust.

Sorry, I’m talking to the OP.

Well, with a puppy that's having diarrhoea, it's probable that it's
    a) eating shíte,
    b) food intolerance,
    c) infection
    d) worms.

He's had an infection before, and been treated for it.

I'm in south central Dublin. I don't drive, so need a vet within half an hour's walk. I'm happy enough with this vet so far; with my old dog I was bringing her to a vet an hour's walk away, and it just became impossible by the time she was an old lady of 17.

Where does it say Pet Parlour, and what's GA, please? I can't see any manufacturer's address on it.

In your first photo, the big pink label that says The Pet Parlour.

Golden Acres http://www.ga-petfoodpartners.co.uk/ga-direct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

I use this food on my girl, who was on Gain, when we got her from the rescue as that’s what they feed all their dogs, but she suffered profuse diarrhoea on it ! We tried numerous foods for her before settling on this food & she is doing really well on it, vet is very happy with her progress as we were in attendance regularly for itchy skin & hotspot issues closed followed by frequent bouts of diarrhoea, all of which seem to have gone since on this food !!!

If the vet you’ve attended numerous times hasn’t identified the problem but focus on a foodstuff that you don’t use, then go to one who is more experienced. Where are you based?

There are dog foods suited to breed, size and age. Red Mills, Gain and Pedigree are brands I’ve used and trust.

Pedigree? Even when I get given that for free I don't use it

coathanger wrote: »
    I use this food on my girl, who was on Gain, when we got her from the rescue as that’s what they feed all their dogs, but she suffered profuse diarrhoea on it ! We tried numerous foods for her before settling on this food & she is doing really well on it, vet is very happy with her progress as we were in attendance regularly for itchy skin & hotspot issues closed followed by frequent bouts of diarrhoea, all of which seem to have gone since on this food !!!

You use the Grain Free, you're saying? And your pup's thriving on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Most dogs who are on it do fine on it. Shop around the different places that sell it though as you might get a better price and most deliver - eg www.fetchyourpetsneeds.ie has 10% off today for mothers day -as mentioned above they have it branded Nourish Rite...
    DogFoodDirect have it branded Champion, pet world call it Nature's best, Pet Depot call it Stanley's Best etc etc

The type of food is grain free - the same way as Diet Coke is sugar free... but it's still called Diet Coke.. you don't go into a shop and ask for a bottle of sugar free or a bottle of diet.. so if you go into a shop and ask if the have 'grain free' you'll probably get a confused look! :o

Yes, that’s what I’m using for her, no more hotspots, itchy skin ,or diarrhoea,Thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

muddypaws wrote: »

Pedigree? Even when I get given that for free I don't use it

Jesus would never feed pedigree! It’s total sh*te

tk123 wrote: »
    Most dogs who are on it do fine on it. Shop around the different places that sell it though as you might get a better price and most deliver - eg www.fetchyourpetsneeds.ie has 10% off today for mothers day - as mentioned above they have it branded Nourish Rite...
    DogFoodDirect have it branded Champion, pet world call it Nature's best, Pet Depot call it Stanley's Best etc etc

Thanks, this is useful. Dear enough where I bought it; €64 for the 12kg bag.

Is there any identifier by which I can ask for it, other than searching for its many noms de guerre?

Is there any identifier by which I can ask for it, other than searching for its many noms de guerre?

I pay €14.50 for a 2kg bag in my local pet shop!!!

You can see the manufacturer's code in one of the photos, bottom of the bag, starts with GB. It will be the same on every product they make.

It's not bad food, small businesses can't afford to run their own factory, so this allows them to have their name out there more than if they were just selling 'named brands'. The company make generic foods and also foods to different recipes that businesses ask them to, which can be dependent on whether they want to market to pet dogs, working, different sizes etc.

coathanger wrote: »
    I pay €14.50 for a 2kg bag in my local pet shop!!!

Hm, that's €87 for 12kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hm, that's €87 for 12kg.

The bigger the bag the less you pay per kg.. For comparison I'd spend about €80-90 raw feeding 2 x retrievers.. and I could do it cheaper but I don't feed minces!

tk123 wrote: »
    The bigger the bag the less you pay per kg.. For comparison I'd spend about €80-90 raw feeding 2 x retrievers.. and I could do it cheaper but I don't feed minces!

Yes; I simply factor the ~€60 per month to feed my pup into the weekly budget. I buy the biggest bag I can carry on the bike.

Advertisement