Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bin Pay-by-weight discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

tnegun wrote: »
    Just did my own sums here this morning. I am a pay per lift customer with Thorntons and spent €210 with them over the last 12-13 months. I put the black bin out 9 times, the brown 8 and the green for almost every lift.

My standing charge is going from €60 to €104 and based on the new lift charges will see my annual cost rise to €350. So thats an extra €140 being extracted from me for the same waste. If it was going into a green project or at least back to the state I could bear it but this is just more profit for a private company right?

thorntons used to take an annual charge so they surely have to refund this, I paid min in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bre-head

thorntons used to take an annual charge so they surely have to refund this, I paid min in Jan.

Yes Thornton's have said they will transfer any amount remaining from your annual service charge onto your pay as you go account & this can be used against lift charges.

But with their annual charge going from €50 per year to €2 per week (i.e €104) we are going to be screwed - doing quick sums here our annual bill will increase by 30/40%..

Would be interested to see Green star charges if anyone had seen them yet please (not a sign in their website) but let's just see, do you think there will be similar pricing policy by all companies?? Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

Don't think the majority of people have woken up to these increases just yet...expect Joe Duffy & regular caller 'Mary from Clontarf' to be all over it from July 1st..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bre-head

Actually just spotted this on another thread - looks like Thornton's will still be (slightly) cheaper than Green Star but still huge increases

"Greyhound new service charge 3.25 per week or 140.00 per year
    35c kg Black bin
    23c kg Brown bin
    0c Green bin'

assume you can use this to exit contract?

anyone know what city bins charges are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

assume you can use this to exit contract?

anyone know what city bins charges are?

Depends on your area, but you can see the prices as soon as you enter your estate on their online signup tool in the first step: https://www.citybin.com/signup/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bre-head wrote: »
    Actually just spotted this on another thread - looks like Thornton's will still be (slightly) cheaper than Green Star but still huge increases

"Greyhound new service charge 3.25 per week or 140.00 per year
    35c kg Black bin
    23c kg Brown bin
    0c Green bin'

That's greyhound prices. I'm presuming greenstar will be different.

guil wrote: »
    That's greyhound prices. I'm presuming greenstar will be different.

I think greenstar will charge slightly less than panda to not endanger the takeover investigation to at least fake some consumer protection.

But that is just cynical me based on my expectation, I still have to get the promised letter telling me my new prices, despite that it's less than 3 weeks until they go into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Same here waiting on greenstar letter but looking at other prices here i reckon our annual charges will double

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

From AES Waste (Meath)

I can advise you the charges for Pay by Weight is as follows, The service charge is €90 for six months or €15 per month.
    • Waste bin = 25 cent per KG
    • Recycling bin = 0 cent per KG
    • Organic bin = 15 cent per KG
    • Glass Bin = 0 cent per KG

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

From AES Waste (Meath)

I can advise you the charges for Pay by Weight is as follows, The service charge is €90 for six months or €15 per month.
    • Waste bin = 25 cent per KG
    • Recycling bin = 0 cent per KG
    • Organic bin = 15 cent per KG
    • Glass Bin = 0 cent per KG

Are Aes still using the shoe box size brown bin scam ?

• Advertisement

Glass Bin, I wish Greenstar would bring that back. They took it away when Fingal County Council did not like them doing it, promised to bring it back once that was cleared up but never did.

And with the monopoly of Panda/Greenstar in my region there is no choice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Oxygen are our bin supplier. Contacted them this morning regarding new charges and was told they weren't set yet and it would probably be two weeks before we'd be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Are Aes still using the shoe box size brown bin scam ?

No, they are in the process of issuing new brown bins, they are similar size to the glass bin. You have to request a new one though.

IMG_1358_zpsvi7wporg.jpg

As of today here is the prices with Greenstar in Wexford

So I will compare later on when new system is in place

_Brian wrote: »
    Oxygen are our bin supplier. Contacted them this morning regarding new charges and was told they weren't set yet and it would probably be two weeks before we'd be contacted.

surely they should be required to give more notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're with Mr Binman down in Cork and our contract was up for renewal at the start of June and for the recycling bin/black bin and food bin it's €179 for six months. Prior to this we were ringing them to find out how much it was going to be from the 1st of July and they said they didn't know. However on the back of the bill it said charges can change during get the billing period.
    They've been a good company to deal with and if you leave an extra bag of rubbish/recycling by the bin they've no problem with taking it.(we haven't done this in a ages, but they seem to still to do it.)
    We can now log in to view our bin weights and one of landfills bins was 99kg.

_Brian wrote: »

Apparently not.. bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

New Greenstar cork charges, arrived this morning.
    Monthly charge €19.50
    Refuse €0.18 per KG
    Compost €0.14

My last year cost €220 in total

This is €234 before the first collection....

Greenstar Finglas has informed me about the new rates:

Monthly Service Charge of €13
    Refuse Bin per KG €0.33
    Recyling Bin per KG €0.00 (yes free)
    Compost Bin per KG €0.20

Thee is no more lift charge just monthly and per kg.

They also now invoice every 2 month.

Assuming the same usage as over the last 12 month I'm going from €193.62 to €242.56, a whopping 25% price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

Yes they are required to do so but the wording on it is typically Irish & very vague... Consumer Rights are asking people to email them in copies of letters they've received & the amount of notice you've been given.
    I'm not allowed to post email address' yet as i'm new but it's : ask at ccpc dot ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was under the impression that the standard charge would be drastically reduced in favour of a higher per kg rate for general refuse, instead Greenstar (Dun Laoghaire) has jacked up my service charge to €13 per month (€156 p.a.) from €57.27 p.a. The per kg general refuse charge has gone up from 28c to 33c with the per lift charge lift eliminated.

The increase in service charge is €98.73 p.a. which would pay for 30 lifts at €3.20 each but there are only 26 collections of general refuse in the year!

I can't see that anyone is better off, regardless of how much refuse they are putting out. The elimination of the 'per lift' charge will benefit people who leave a bin out every collection day but regardless of how much waste they produce, they will still be worse off under the new scheme.

People like me who produce very little refuse (I have my own compost bin) will be seriously p1ssed off at these changes. They were supposed to alter the charging structure to benefit people who produced little waste, instead they have done the exact opposite. I can see a big increase in illegal dumping coming down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Guessing Panda will be very similar.
    Greenstar Finglas has informed me about the new rates:

Monthly Service Charge of €13
    Refuse Bin per KG €0.33
    Recyling Bin per KG €0.00 (yes free)
    Compost Bin per KG €0.20

Thee is no more lift charge just monthly and per kg.

They also now invoice every 2 month.

Assuming the same usage as over the last 12 month I'm going from €193.62 to €242.56, a whopping 25% price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Guessing Panda will be very similar.

Someone in the D15 forum posted these prices for Panda.
    Yearly service charge up from €110 to €118. Again payable yearly or 6monthly.

Black bin: €3.20 for the lift and 27c per kg on top of this charge.
    Brown bin: €2.56 for the lift and 16c per kg on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Similarly, did my sums for Thorntons in Bray.

Increase of 49%.

2 adults, 2 kids. Nothing unusual in the waste, and very diligent sorting the brown, green and black bin waste.

Emailed Thorntons and got a copy-paste reply about them offering best value, suggesting they were doing me a favour spreading the service charge over 52 weeks rather than upfront annual charge, and that benefit to me was that I could put the bins out on every collection day.

Worth every cent of the 140 euro increase! 😉

Looking at all of these charge the question raises was there collusion by the companies to all raise the prices because there is no competition at present? the CCPC should really investigate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

AES say 90€ for 6 months and 25c per kilo general waste

Increase for me of about 20%, arrggh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

IMG_1358_zpsvi7wporg.jpg

As of today here is the prices with Greenstar in Wexford

So I will compare later on when new system is in place

Have green star not issued pay by weight charges yet?

So, we did some quick calculations and we reckon that we'll see an increase of ~€120 a year, was expected.

What surprises me is that so many people thought that their charges would actually come down. Private refuse companies were handed a golden ticket to increase prices and they are unlikely to turn it down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

vicwatson wrote: »

We got the Greenstar letter today - Dun Laoghaire Rathdown area - see attached:

Our current plan is;
    DLRC Standard Plan

Single annual payment of €65.00

General Waste
    Standing charge: €65.00
    Cost per Lift: €3.20
    Cost per KG: €0.280

Compost Waste
    Standing Charge: €22
    Cost per Lift: €2.5
    Cost per KG: €0.20

So the standing charge is nearly doubling, but the lift charges are gone, as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »

We didn't get letter yet , but then again Greenstar have 80,000 customers to write to

Advertisement