Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bin Pay-by-weight discussion thread

Options
  • 31-05-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

So wheelie bin pay by weight comes into effect on 1st July 2016.

My provider www.greenstar.ie are send out letters in the next few days with details .

Anyone receive letter with pricing etc can you post here .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What kind of weight would a full wheelie bin be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well in weighing anything there is usually a gross , tare and nett .

So I hope there will be full transparency and we can see this info available when been charged .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Too many variables to guess. 240 vs 140 vs another size bin; what you're filling it with, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If it's a 240 litre black bin, I don't think you'd be exceeding 40kg too often but it would probably average mid-30s if you're not putting anything like glass bottles or a lot of food waste in there.

Well in weighing anything there is usually a gross , tare and nett .

So I hope there will be full transparency and we can see this info available when been charged .

I've been with Thorntons the last 2 years and I've always been provided with weights of collections.

There's only the net weight given, which is fine.

• Advertisement

I believe the green bin is going to remain free so I can see a lot of crap going into that one .

I believe the green bin is going to remain free so I can see a lot of crap going into that one .

There was already a lot of contamination in the green bin so I can see the bigger operators doing what Panda did and putting cameras on the collection trucks to identify bins with a lot of contamination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

And on the roads and beaches. Last time I was on Port Beach (Louth) the mattress count had gone up also general crap that some f**kers just throw over the wall and indeed along the roads. €2 for the recycle centre in Dundalk FFS for the mattresses and building crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Do you really believe the green bin will be free?
    Do you?

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Do you?

Well put it this way, the charge by statue per kg is nil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

And on the roads and beaches. Last time I was on Port Beach (Louth) the mattress count had gone up also general crap that some f**kers just throw over the wall and indeed along the roads. €2 for the recycle centre in Dundalk FFS for the mattresses and building crap.

Yes, but it costs around €20-€30 to leave the mattress with them. Still no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Yes but before Coveney caved in it was supposed to be .6cents minimum. The waste operators are just going to subsume this cost into the standing charge or the other bin charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

The minimum charge by statute per kg is nil.
    That doesn't mean collectors will apply a zero charge for recycling bin. Some may, but others may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

On appearance but the cost of the green bin will be carried by the black and brown bins. The minimum price is zero, no maximum price for the green bin.
    Private operators don't do stuff for free, why should they, they will just lump the charge onto the others to stop customers complaining.

I've no problem paying for bins but do expect the overall charge to increase. But it will work, we currently don't recycle glass and will probably now make an effort to.

We don't need a brown bin. I'll see how things pan out with the green and black charges. If it goes bound what we already pay I'm thinking of just burning stuff to keep the price down, would just take a small effort and I could burn a shed load of stuff and keep the green bin very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I worked in the industry a few years ago
    We did a quick survey

Pre brown bin

Average weights were
    32k for the black 240 bin
    And
    13k for a green 240 bin

It was seasonal too
    Summer holidays " kids off "
    Cold weather " ashes from solid fuel
    Spring and fall " grass "

Was doing a job recently
    In a large estate
    Seen a few people filling up their neighbours bins after they had left for work
    So bin locks is the way to go

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Do you?

All operators that have published rates so far have free green bins.

We did a quick survey

Pre brown bin

Average weights were
    And
    13k for a green 240 bin

It was seasonal too

Was doing a job recently
    In a large estate

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/171900543691

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

We did a quick survey

Pre brown bin

Average weights were
    And
    13k for a green 240 bin

It was seasonal too

Was doing a job recently
    In a large estate

How does the bin company collect the bins if it is locked?

I'd normally put the bins out in the morning before going to work.

Reminds me of a friend who was getting work done and had a skip in the drive. The first morning after getting it (it hadnt been used by him) it was quarter full with 3 or 4 biggish items. My friend had a cctv monitoring the drive because his car had been broken into. He checked the footage to see if he could get a Reg number of a vehicle doing the dumping.

It turned out it was his neighbour right across the road (facing) his house. Pretty brazen stuff.

The next night the material was "returned" to the neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Ah I see how it works, that's actually an excellent idea. How good is this type of lock, in terms of reliability.

I wonder will refuse collection companies refuse to collect bins with these locks attached... If their cameras can't examine the bin for contamination for example

Uriel. wrote: »
    How does the bin company collect the bins if it is locked?

I'd normally put the bins out in the morning before going to work.

Reminds me of a friend who was getting work done and had a skip in the drive. The first morning after getting it (it hadnt been used by him) it was quarter full with 3 or 4 biggish items. My friend had a cctv monitoring the drive because his car had been broken into. He checked the footage to see if he could get a Reg number of a vehicle doing the dumping.

It turned out it was his neighbour right across the road (facing) his house. Pretty brazen stuff.

The next night the material was "returned" to the neighbour

The gravity one only
    Opens when the bin is upside down

While it on the truck basically

• Advertisement

I would like to see someone post the new rates from letter received .

If the cost for black is going to be around 35c p/kilo , then our yearly charges will increase from €360 to at least €650

I would like to see someone post the new rates from letter received .

If the cost for black is going to be around 35c p/kilo , then our yearly charges will increase from €360 to at least €650

We pay by the lift at present, with a black bin being a €20 tag. 35 cent per kg on a 40kg binload will save us €6 a lift.

Uriel. wrote: »
    I wonder will refuse collection companies refuse to collect bins with these locks attached... If their cameras can't examine the bin for contamination for example

They're extremely common on commercial bins already, so they are likely used to them. As its the black bin that's dearest even if they did refuse to take them on green/brown bins it could still be useful for some.

At 35c/kg, my average black bin weight would have to be 31kg to come in at the same as I pay now (assuming the green has no charge)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah yes, the good ould pay by weight scam! Why are we introducing some waste, particularly harmful waste into the system in the first place! The argument you rarely hear if ever!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the good ould pay by weight scam! Why are we introducing some waste, particularly harmful waste into the system in the first place! The argument you rarely hear if ever!

Calling something you don't like a scam doesn't make it so - you're very prone to doing this.

pbw-300.jpg

Just for comparison this is Thorntons rates

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

L1011 wrote: »
    Calling something you don't like a scam doesn't make it so - you're very prone to doing this.

i ll be interested in hearing your counter argument!

how come we aint taxing the producers of these materials and forcing them to reduce their introduction into the system in the first place? the end of life of materials is simply just that, 'the end of life'. like most stories, all materials have a beginning, middle and end! the end is not the whole story! prevention is better than cure in my world!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i ll be interested in hearing your counter argument!

how come we aint taxing the producers of these materials and forcing them to reduce their introduction into the system in the first place? the end of life of materials is simply just that, 'the end of life'. like most stories, all materials have a beginning, middle and end! the end is not the whole story! prevention is better than cure in my world!

Because at this stage its almost entirely consumer choice to buy over-packaged/over-wasteful items. I don't, hence my bins are going to be going down in price quite significantly.

If people don't buy things, they don't get made and the producer doesn't make any money. Letting them continue to buy things with a greenwashed conscience just for a little bit more because the producer is being taxed does bog all to stop the problem.

• Advertisement

pbw-300.jpg

Just for comparison this is Thorntons rates

Stealth charge of 4€ a lift for he green bin
    Assuming it's lifted every two weeks
    And not contaminated

Advertisement