Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

That time of year

Options
  • 08-02-2019 4:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

After a long winter of kicking myself about how I didn't fish enough last season. The evenings getting just that little bit brighter, daydreaming about being on Derg for the mayfly. The paddy's day for me are a celebration of the start of the trout season. Can't wait to get out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm the same! While I have done some over the winter - lure fishing for bass - it's fly fishing that I want to be doing. Hope to try some of the mountain lakes around here once it's open.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'm the same! While I have done some over the winter - lure fishing for bass - it's fly fishing that I want to be doing. Hope to try some of the mountain lakes around here once it's open.

How did the lure fishing for bass go?

Have you ever tried for them on the fly?

TheTorment wrote: »
    How did the lure fishing for bass go?

Have you ever tried for them on the fly?

No never tried on the fly but I have had some nice Pollock on the fly. Mackerel are good sport too on surface flies. The last bass I caught were on new years eve - two of them. Had nothing since but was only out for a combined total of a couple of hours since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Big coalfish on the fly - now, that's fun! Here's one I recorded in Norway where one of the guys caught a 10Kg+ on the fly.

No never tried on the fly but I have had some nice Pollock on the fly. Mackerel are good sport too on surface flies. The last bass I caught were on new years eve - two of them. Had nothing since but was only out for a combined total of a couple of hours since then.

Very good!!
    We're they estuary or shore caught? Just for my own curiosity!

The latest I've ever caught them in the year is the week before Christmas.
    I've never had a bass (on lures) in January or February though! Ive been bad this year and not even been out yet. Between a bout of bad weather other engagements and laziness I've not been out since November.
    I think that I will have to get out there soon though.

• Advertisement

TheTorment wrote: »
    Very good!!
    We're they estuary or shore caught? Just for my own curiosity!

Off the shore over rocky ground. All taken on a doolive stick. That has accounted for a few for me last year actually

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

The beaches in Clare will be good tomorrow evening for bass hopefully.

They've be torn assunder over the last few days.

Could be some cod about too, but you'll need to be able to pin it down at least 120 yard's from the shore at high tide...

6oz grip, up and over pulley rig's...

They Hoover up anything after these storms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Anything on the east coast near Dublin? i've had probably the worst year ever in 2018 in terms of fishing. Not counting two boxes of mackerel off Clifden think i had 6 fish all year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Its now ill begin to prepare my lures and line for for the up and coming bass lure season

Buggers are hard to catch but have done my research this year so hoping, no scratch that praying that the bass gods favour me

Anyone bassing around dublin?

Ill also be on the fly for sea trout but thats a work in progress

Broke out the fly rod yesterday for an hour. There was a gale blowing here in Kerry and rain threatening. Nevertheless headed out with a little helper in tow. Tried Lough Currane from the shore. Rose a nice brownie on a bibio on my first cast but didn't see another fish after that
    Stopped at a local spate river on the way back just so my little helper might catch a small trout but the heavens opened and finished our first day out.

Great to be out all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Broke out the fly rod yesterday for an hour. There was a gale blowing here in Kerry and rain threatening. Nevertheless headed out with a little helper in tow. Tried Lough Currane from the shore. Rose a nice brownie on a bibio on my first cast but didn't see another fish after that
    Stopped at a local spate river on the way back just so my little helper might catch a small trout but the heavens opened and finished our first day out.

Great to be out all the same.

Surprised you got out in that wind. Next weekend is looking great according to the weather forum, going to get somewhere myself even just to wet the line.

I presume trout would be a small bit more active than usual in February because of the extremely mild winter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not long to go now. Gear coming out of hibernation, silk regreased and back on reel :)

473380.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Surprised you got out in that wind. Next weekend is looking great according to the weather forum, going to get somewhere myself even just to wet the line.

I presume trout would be a small bit more active than usual in February because of the extremely mild winter?

Theoretically it should be. Water temperatures surely are warmer than usual owing to the mild winter. Fly life should be better too. Not that that was the case for me yesterday :D

What reel is that Wibbs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a Thinkfish Bold semi automatic reel made in Spain S.

bold-4.jpg

The company went bust a few years back sadly as they made some nice kit. Similar lever activated retrieve concept to the Italian Vivarreli reels(not the spring loaded automatic type which were hopeless), though a much better design in my humble, with an open large arbour, a multiplying effect and a decent drag. Strips in extra line like a rocket. Even though I'm a weirdo who uses silk lines and hexagraphs and cane I could never get on with the standard fly reels TBH. Always found them a fudge and an archaic one at that. Got a multiplier reel when I was a kid and never looked back and then discovered the lever action ones through a French lad(they're big o the continent, but never took off here for some reason). I'd find it very hard to go back to a standard reel now.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cheers Wibbs. I assumed it was something out if the ordinary alright owing to your watches preferences I see on another forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

My local river has opened for trout and I had a lovely couple of hours fishing on Saturday, there was even a few fish rising which I have never seen this early in the year.

I caught six trout in a couple of hours on upstream nymphing and dry dropper, even had two on the dry fly. Very enjoyable start to the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

I went out this morning to look for trout. First cast dropped a tiddler as I lifted it out of the water. Not long later I landed my first ever trout. Small but I was delighted. Ended up with one more before I left. The water was shallow enough where I was so will have to look for a deeper spot when I go again.

.red. wrote: »
    I went out this morning to look for trout. First cast dropped a tiddler as I lifted it out of the water. Not long later I landed my first ever trout. Small but I was delighted. Ended up with one more before I left. The water was shallow enough where I was so will have to look for a deeper spot when I go again.

First ever this year or first EVER?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

First ever this year or first EVER?!

First trout ever. I haven't fished in a while but its usually all shore angling I do. The river is only down the road, I cross it at least twice a day and have planned on fishing it for about 5 years but never did.
    Might go back tomorrow or Wednesday and try and find a few bigger ones.

• Advertisement

When does the season open on rivers on small rivers that require no permit? Its a small river and I can't find anything online about it

When does the season open on rivers on small rivers that require no permit? Its a small river and I can't find anything online about it

Typical is the 15th February but it probably would be good to confirm it locally. Chance Peter O Reillys book " rivers of Ireland". It could be listed there and would have an opening / closing date

Rivers of Ireland : if it's not listed in that book, then it's basically the Wild West in my opinion!
    In Cork, most of the rivers open on Feb 15th, but it seems to be March 15th in a lot of the rest of the country.

But as I said if the river is not listed in Rivers of Ireland, that means that there is no angling club with the rights and I'd say you could work away (provided that access from the land owner is not an issue)

If you don't have a copy of Rivers of Ireland, feel free to PM the name of the river and where it is and I'll check the book for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭OwlEye

https://www.fisheriesireland.ie/About-Us/contact-us.html

Find out what jurisdiction the river is in and ring the relevant IFI office. Whilst Peter O'Reillys book is very informative, some of the information is dated. As well as opening dates you might also enquire if there have been any new byelaws implemented,better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I think my winter piking may be over for this season, I'm tied up for the next 2 weekends, and Id rather not bother them when they are spawning. It was my best piking season ever, good few 20s for a change!

I had my first trout of the year over the weekend, I was out on Corrib, nice brownie around the 3lb mark. the lake was rough to say the least, but good fun.

AHH Jesus, I shouldn't have offered the PM at all. I'm answering them all morning. Ye are mad to get out fishing lads :D

Canceled my planed fish today because I read the weather was to get bad. Lovely evening. I'll go out tomorrow now and get blown around the place no doubt.

Any one any trout this weekend for anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Canceled my planed fish today because I read the weather was to get bad. Lovely evening. I'll go out tomorrow now and get blown around the place no doubt.

I'm looking forward to Paddys Day next Sunday. Not because of a parade or because I'll be drowning the shamrock. Instead I'll be wetting a line for my long-awaited first day of the season. Hope the weather is kind.

• Advertisement

I got out for a while this afternoon. Started out badly tried a new spot but it was too deep and fast. Reverted to a tried and tested stretch where I have had luck fishing old school across and down spiders. I had a great run and picked up six fish in a short space of time. I lost one very good fish which threw the hook as it jumped. Fishing wet flys that way is very relaxing its very methodical and can be very effective.

As I established that fish were a bit active I decided to move slightly and prospect with a dry fly and spider duo. I picked up two or three on the dry fly which was a great bonus.

Advertisement