Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some gems here, I especially remember the Biactol one, "John's soaps got a fancy name".
    seemed there were lots of spot cream ads, don't notice them being on anymore, maybe fancy ads for pore strips. But no teens with faces full of angry red spots.

Remember "my sisters a greaser" which was Patsy "RICKKKYYY" Palmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Can anyone remember what series of ads had the line at the end
    "You'll be glad you called"??

One Direct

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

rubadub wrote: »
    seemed there were lots of spot cream ads, don't notice them being on anymore, maybe fancy ads for pore strips. But no teens with faces full of angry red spots.

Remember "my sisters a greaser" which was Patsy "RICKKKYYY" Palmer.

Lol, I remember that one, first time seeing it in years. Now that you mention it there were an awful lot of ads for spot creams in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Yes I remember that, would it have been late 80's/early 90's? Imagine it must have been a road safety advert.

That would make sense.
    I had a feeling twas for something like that,but the voiceover and the bloodsoaked hands are the best things I remember about it.

You catchin me drift??

I can remember another one which I can't find,where the same fella is jive-talkin to a woman on the radio who's tellin him how to ask for a bar of chocolate in proper English.

The follow up Drifter ad is at the start here.

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    One from the mid 80s for Miracle Whip.A grumpy fella serving in an American fast food diner.There was a big queue of people at the counter including a guy who looked like a Hare Krishna impatiently jogging on the spot while he was waiting behind someone else.This Bette Midler type woman was flirting with yer man serving and delivers the line "heavy on the Miracle Whip Harry!"
    I remember that one well enough.
    The original ad was actually,i think,when the product was just called Miracle,and then they changed the name to Miracle Whip.I remember one of them saying ".....hold the pickle,and heavy on the Miracle." And then the last one said "....fix me a chicken salad to go and make it a Miracle" in a raunchy voice.And of course,she says "heavy on the Miracle,Harry...!!"
    darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes there was a cop ordering first and then the Hare Krishna(or was he a punk/skinhead?Not sure) who I'm sure said the "hold the pickle "line while the guy serving wearily repeats his order.

It's here at the 2.30 mark. Also the second ad features Tastee Nastee, remember him?

https://youtu.be/uJbvoAO4GwA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Does anyone remember an advertisement on the TV from the 80s where a bloke is driving down a dark road and there are monsters or demons or statues or something coming to life on both sides of the road as he tries to get home.

Somehow he manages to get past them all?

Either the Ad existed or I've lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Scotch VHS tapes.
    Tape what you want, both night and day, then re-record, not fade away!

The plant growing in the background..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Anybody remember an ad for PMPA,which had a really bad revamp of the song "....it's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A...",which instead had the words:

"You should stay with the P.M.P.A".....

We used to call it the "Private Mickey Pullin Association".
    We never did find out what it really stood for!!

Private Motorists Protection Association

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

"Make yourself a dish a day with Knorr Stock Cubes!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

simu wrote: »
    The father in the baby ad was a cop in Glenroe (remember that?!) too.

Was that him?

There was an ad for Datsun which went
    "Nobody demands more from a Datsun...than Datsun; we are driven!"

"They said it couldn't be done, done, done (fading away)
    But it HAS been done, done, done...!"

Guinness Light.

There was an ad for the Fiat Ritmo which was filmed, I believe, at Slieve League in Co. Donegal and the jingle went: "The time is right; the time is now; the time is right for Ritmo!"

My name is Rashers, see!
    I've had these flashes, see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

"STAMP OUT SCOUR!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Ariston had a great little advertising jingle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

It's here at the 2.30 mark. Also the second ad features Tastee Nastee, remember him?

https://youtu.be/uJbvoAO4GwA

Clearly shot at Pinewood or Elstree. The cop is Lou Hirsch, Baby Herman in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and a reliable American face in various UK films and TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TV ad is just weird but PR campaign in advance of the launch was brilliant.

As for old ads one word - Hamlet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Clearly shot at Pinewood or Elstree. The cop is Lou Hirsch, Baby Herman in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and a reliable American face in various UK films and TV shows.

Also featuring Jim Carter as the guy serving behind the counter.

• Advertisement

I remembered this one while I was watching The Curse Of Frankenstein last night.

This milk ad was a few years before the "Them Bones,them bones need...calci-umm" ad....
    There's this "dead" woman lying in a bed in a horror-type dark setting,with thunder and lightning and there are two people trying to bring her back to life,and the "mad" doctor says: "Her body is lifeless-lacking vitality."
    Then all of a sudden,a huge bang of thunder,a huge flash of lightning,the door creaks open slowly and you see a hand dropping two bottles of milk in the door.The doctor pours a glass of milk,the "dead" woman sits up and takes the glass of milk,and squeals excitedly in a funny east London accent:
    "Milk!! What more could a body ask for?!"

Does anyone remember an advertisement on the TV from the 80s where a bloke is driving down a dark road and there are monsters or demons or statues or something coming to life on both sides of the road as he tries to get home.

Somehow he manages to get past them all?

Either the Ad existed or I've lost the plot.

It could be this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Music in the ad is almost like the theme from The Omen

John Hurt voiceover.
    A young pre-Auf Wiedersehen, Pet Tim Healy

is_that_so wrote: »
    TV ad is just weird but PR campaign in advance of the launch was brilliant.

As for old ads one word - Hamlet!

That's the redubbed Apre Match p!ss take. This is the original.

Remember this animated one for Limara bodyspray? Pretty steamy even considering its a cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Remember this animated one for Limara bodyspray? Pretty steamy even considering its a cartoon.

I haven't seen that in years!

You bloody legend how did you find that one (•‿•)(•‿•)(•‿•)

John Hurt voiceover.
    A young pre-Auf Wiedersehen, Pet Tim Healy

John Hurt,a.k.a. "the voice of AIDS."
    He could really send chills up your spine.

• Advertisement

Yes, the chef is Jim Carter, c.Top Secret.
    I thought it might be him but on a mobile screen, couldn't tell if it was him or Chris Malcolm.

Advertisement