Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'd forgotten about this weird McDonalds advert till last night when they showed a clip of it in a BBC4 documentary where the song Mac The Knife was being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Can anyone else remember the Northern Ireland ads from the 90s which had the slogan "You won't know unless you go"??

Can anyone else remember the Northern Ireland ads from the 90s which had the slogan "You won't know unless you go"??

I remember one that had two backpackers walking into a country pub and the locals staring at them menacingly like it was some kind of pastiche of The Slaughtered Lamb in An American Werewolf In London. It was a bit of a weird one, deffo didn't make me want to visit.Not sure if it had that slogan but it was about visiting Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I remember that one. One of the lads at the bar said something welcoming at the end and the place erupted with music and chatter.
    I can't remember the tag line though. Maybe something about a different experience?

darkdubh wrote: »
    I remember one that had two backpackers walking into a country pub and the locals staring at them menacingly like it was some kind of pastiche of The Slaughtered Lamb in An American Werewolf In London. It was a bit of a weird one, deffo didn't make me want to visit.Not sure if it had that slogan but it was about visiting Northern Ireland.
    They must have cut that part out of it here.

• Advertisement

I remember that one. One of the lads at the bar said something welcoming at the end and the place erupted with music and chatter.
    I can't remember the tag line though. Maybe something about a different experience?

Yes I remember that.
    They must have cut that part out of it here.

It wasn't that one,the whole ad was set around these two strangers walking into the pub. I think it might have been advertising some specific rural region in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

jor el wrote: »
    electrickery

Mr Majeika?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Catweazel

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Anyone know where I’d get a link to the Harp Ad that had the Mexican guy say the line “Hey Dusty, get this thirsty stranger a pint of Harp” I’ve searched the web high and low and can’t seem to find a copy of it. No problem finding all the rest of the famous Harp ads but for some reason this one is nowhere to be found!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Anyone remember a series of ads from the late 90's for a drink (might have been an alco pop?) that featured a cartoon animated cow? The makers of the advert clearly didn't do their research because while the cow was clearly intended to be male they gave it udders. One advert had it trying to chat up human females in a nightclub. The "cow" had an annoying one word catchphrase that I can't recall.

• Advertisement

From the North of Ireland, 30 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

From the North of Ireland, 30 years ago.

We didn't have UTV but I remember the bit with the guy being kneecapped being shown on some RTE programme at the time, maybe Today Tonight. Must have been something about the North.

Was there somebody looking for this?

Can anyone remember what series of ads had the line at the end
    "You'll be glad you called"??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ads for an insurance company

Remember the one at the start of this? "The Symptoms", a pretty poor pastiche of the Simpsons. I think it came out around when Sky first started showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

That headwrecking Gold Blend couple!! :)

Lorelli! wrote: »

They came across as so smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

They did! :) And it was done like a "to be continued." There was a whole series of them.

I remember a UK ad from the early 90's that had a hippy-ish student visiting his grandfather and giving him some sort of ethnic mask after a trip abroad, I remember the line "it's a fertility mask grandad" to which the grandad gives a kind of gruff cynical reply then points at whatever the ad was for (it might have been soup) and says "it'll do you a lot more good than that thing ever will" or words to that effect.

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember an ad with cartoon bears that had a voice over by Ronnie Drew, not the Calor Gas one? I think it might have been on one Christmas and possibly was for a Dublin department store. I just remember one line delivered in Ronnie's familiar growling voice "then they went to (name of the place) where they went mad altogether". Late 80's or early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

I never realised the actor in that ad was the prime minister in Little Britain, who had David Walliams as his permanent secretary ( which didn't end well as I recall).

Remember the one at the start of this? "The Symptoms", a pretty poor pastiche of the Simpsons. I think it came out around when Sky first started showing it.

I actually used to think that one was really funny!

Lorelli! wrote: »

My sister used to love those ones.She'd nearly treat them as episodes of Dynasty or The Colbys or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

anyone remember the old christmas ad for pennys from 1996 cant get the video up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=athHodH_nis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

One weird thing I've noticed is British sitcom actors coming over and doing ads. Lost in Translation-style.
    Sometimes, they're riffing on their known image or doing it as themselves.
    Patrick Cargill - https://ifiplayer.ie/kosangas-demonstration-man/
    Frank "The Vicar of Dad's Army" Williams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QyuFhugzEs (David Kelly also did this campaign)

Buut other times, they got Brits to play Irish.
    Obviously, Vicki Michelle as Sally O'Brien. A friend was astonished that everyone presumed she was Irish, because although she hadn't yet done 'Allo 'Allo, she'd been doing numerous bit parts in various sketch shows and films, obviously perhaps not long enough to register, but she had had a regular role in Les Dawson's shows at that time.
    Another odd one is this ad - with Christopher Blake either dubbed or doing a creditable accent. Blake is one of those actors who though now forgotten, worked consistently. Best known for his turn as Mollie Sugden's titular biological son in That's My Boy, but he had turns in various Sunday Classics, was the lead in another popular-though-derided 'com, Mixed Blessings. But here he is advertising Carling for Ireland.

I wonder how many of these Irish ads were made in the UK. Sally O'Brien was done in Ardmore and in the Harbour Bar, but one ad features London-based Dublin actor Paul Antrim, who had roles in quite a few films, Man Who Would Be King, a turn as a sort of poor man's Fulton Mackay in Wild Geese 2, but I know him as IRA man Dermot in mental BBC Brummie-Pakistani pulp crime series Gangsters

And most of the voiceovers were done by Fergus O'Kelly alias Father Barty Dunne, the laughing priest, whose career has mostly been based in England, and mostly in radio. Only 6 TV/film credits over a forty year period.
    I think Kevin Flood, another Irish actor at the time in Britain did quite a few too.

Some gems here, I especially remember the Biactol one, "John's soaps got a fancy name".

One weird thing I've noticed is British sitcom actors coming over and doing ads. Lost in Translation-style.
    Sometimes, they're riffing on their known image or doing it as themselves.
    Patrick Cargill - https://ifiplayer.ie/kosangas-demonstration-man/
    Frank "The Vicar of Dad's Army" Williams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QyuFhugzEs (David Kelly also did this campaign)

Buut other times, they got Brits to play Irish.
    Obviously, Vicki Michelle as Sally O'Brien. A friend was astonished that everyone presumed she was Irish, because although she hadn't yet done 'Allo 'Allo, she'd been doing numerous bit parts in various sketch shows and films, obviously perhaps not long enough to register, but she had had a regular role in Les Dawson's shows at that time.
    Another odd one is this ad - with Christopher Blake either dubbed or doing a creditable accent. Blake is one of those actors who though now forgotten, worked consistently. Best known for his turn as Mollie Sugden's titular biological son in That's My Boy, but he had turns in various Sunday Classics, was the lead in another popular-though-derided 'com, Mixed Blessings. But here he is advertising Carling for Ireland.

I wonder how many of these Irish ads were made in the UK. Sally O'Brien was done in Ardmore and in the Harbour Bar, but one ad features London-based Dublin actor Paul Antrim, who had roles in quite a few films, Man Who Would Be King, a turn as a sort of poor man's Fulton Mackay in Wild Geese 2, but I know him as IRA man Dermot in mental BBC Brummie-Pakistani pulp crime series Gangsters

And most of the voiceovers were done by Fergus O'Kelly alias Father Barty Dunne, the laughing priest, whose career has mostly been based in England, and mostly in radio. Only 6 TV/film credits over a forty year period.
    I think Kevin Flood, another Irish actor at the time in Britain did quite a few too.

Another good example here near the beginning, Oliver Tobias of the Stud fame advertising the quintessentially Cork stout Murphys.

I should probably be going to the safety ads thread with this one,but can anyone at all remember an ad which showed someone washing blood from their hands under a running tap,but when they stop and look, both palms are still covered in blood.And the voiceover says "...... no matter how hard you try,you'll never wash away the stain".
    It was definitely an Irish ad and definitely not an ad for washing powder because it was way too serious.
    Can anybody remember it?

• Advertisement

I should probably be going to the safety ads thread with this one,but can anyone at all remember an ad which showed someone washing blood from their hands under a running tap,but when they stop and look, both palms are still covered in blood.And the voiceover says "...... no matter how hard you try,you'll never wash away the stain".
    It was definitely an Irish ad and definitely not an ad for washing powder because it was way too serious.
    Can anybody remember it?

Yes I remember that, would it have been late 80's/early 90's? Imagine it must have been a road safety advert.

Advertisement