Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

Mushy wrote: »
    He got roasted! Or was that a different guy for Anaesthetise?

That was another mate of mine on the other side of the Olympia ... I will take great pleasure in taking the piss out of both of them about the time Steven Wilson put you both back in your box :pac:

It was also him that suggested he called his 63 Telecaster : "Dave" :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Think ye were right next to me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭blackwave

RayCon wrote: »

Hopefully that will be the tour DVD/blue ray fantastic set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,477 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

blackwave wrote: »

Hopefully that will be the tour DVD/blue ray fantastic set

Only the 3rd night was filmed, hence why that was the standard Setlist.

But that second night is incredible, hopefully get good audio of it

If you do , please share :cool:

If you do , please share :cool:

If I come across a bootleg, certainly will do. Was more thinking of special editions of the DVD release could have CD with bonus tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

SW has posted a set of photos from the RAH concerts, here, with a few from the rehearsals too.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

What I’ve seen of the Home Invasion BD set has been slightly underwhelming so far, but this is much more like it: the song has a life of its own live:

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

I've been listening to Storm Corrosion for the first time over the last couple of days, and I'm frankly annoyed that I didn't do this years ago. It's seriously good if, like me, your tastes include more mellow, ambient music. It reminds me a bit of Rain Tree Crow, another of my favourite albums in this area, with Gavin Harrison channeling Steve Jansen at times, it seemed. I can also hear echoes in SW's later work, e.g. the title track and the song Transience .

— Kingsley Amis

^ I love the Storm Corrosion album - it's a masterpiece. I consider myself very lucky to have seen Wilson and Akerfeldt perform Drag Ropes live at one of Wilson's Royal Albert Hall gigs in 2015. Magic :cool:

New album will seemingly be titled The Future Bites. No release date, but your dates announced today for next September. Only a few shows, but ambitious in size. London is at the o2, Nottingham is the motorpoint.

I imagine it'll be a huge production though. Prices range from £46 to £140 (some special bits and pieces for that ticket). Might try for a ticket at another time.

^ Looking at the Hamburg date for Sept 26th. Not sure what to expect from the new album .... have a fear it's leaning more towards Permanating style tunes .. if so, I'm going to be very underwhelmed.

^ Looking at the Hamburg date for Sept 26th. Not sure what to expect from the new album .... have a fear it's leaning more towards Permanating style tunes .. if so, I'm going to be very underwhelmed.

Yeah I feel it'll be a bit more "poppy" than normal, but I'd say more towards Perfect Life than Permanating. The recent No Man album might give a hint of the sound too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Not sure what to make of this. Not for me this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_H0NO-Cyew

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Granadino wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of this. Not for me this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_H0NO-Cyew

reminiscent of 'voyage 34' and parts of 'up the downstair'

id have liked a bit more prominent electric guitar, but in all i like it.
    great headphone or driving song.

I like it. It goes by very fast too, wouldn't think its nearly 10 minutes. Elton John on it too

Yeah I am fan of it as well.

• Advertisement

I really like it.

Expected his new album to go in quite a poppy direction so no big surprise.

I've given it a fair few spins now and on the whole, Im not loving it. Elements of it are OK so I still hold out hope for the rest of the album, but generally speaking - I don't like the chorus and the upbeat nature of it. Thematically it's a bit all been said and done before (FOABP).

Seems a new sing is landing Monday, 2 teasers put up on socials last 2 days. This comes a few months after Porcupine 3 was listed as a company with Steven and Gavin listed, think Richard too (no Colin).

Steven had mentioned a guitar based project was in the works, along with something else. Would assume this to be the guitar based one anyway, he was very secretive on that one.

New album and tour as good as confirmed 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

• Advertisement

Tour dates there, new song here: https://youtu.be/AW5v4Ohxk5k

Wow, had long since given up on Porcupine Tree ever releasing anything new.

Can't say the new song really grabs me tbh, may take a few listens.

Im the opposite - instant dopamine hit for me. Gavin's drumming, Richard's soundscapes ... PT are back. 😎 Now the panic starts on Weds morning's Pre-Sale for Berlin tix

Can't stop listening to this track. It's rare any song / album grabs my attention like this. Never thought PT would return.

Hope the bass playing (SW himself?) isn't this aggressive on the rest of the album though. Pity Colin isn't involved in this.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's Nick Beggs on bass.

• Advertisement

So... Colin Edwin's not playing on the album and John Wesley has confirmed he won't be involved with the tour. Kinda dampens my excitement about the album / tour. Hope SW hasn't been a dick to the 2 lads by just not bothering to include them in the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The Bass sounds like it's played with a pick. Interested to see who the mystery Bassist is though the album credits SW as performing bass.

Tickets for the tour opener in Berlin secured 😎

I'd say Steven played bass on album, but obv won't live.

Hoping for 2nd London date to be announced, need to commit to a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Just got my ticket for Wembley.

Tickets got for Katowice! was not many seats left when I went to order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Got tickets for London, just a year to go.

Tickets available in the pit for Katowice in Poland. There's some direct flights from Dublin but not that frequent, better off to fly into Krakow which is close by for anyone interested.

Another new song from the upcoming album ... hearing The Incident in this .... bring it on

• Advertisement

New albums out today 😎

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

First thoughts?

I haven't had a chance to stream it yet

It certainly leans into the mellower, proggier side of the band. The prominent riffs of their latter albums are absent.

It's not their best work (And tbf, The Incident was relatively weak as well) but I'm enjoying it. Between this and his latest solo album I do think the quality has dipped a bit on SW's work lately.

I'm enjoying the album, glad to have new music from the band and looking forward to the tour. I don't think it stands up to some of their classic albums (FOABP, Deadwing, In Absentia etc) but it's a strong 7/10. I will say I'm not liking the art work - it's all a bit IKEA catalog.

1.   "Harridan" - Loved it since it was released. Felt like they picked up where they left off.

2.   "Of the New Day"   Great song, one of the better PT mellower tunes.

3.   "Rats Return"   - Pretty good - typical PT song - nothing wrong with that.

4.   "Dignity"   Not getting the hype for this. Have read reviews and online comments saying it's a highlight on the album. I find it a bit bog standard.

5.   "Herd Culling"   Love this - much better as the extended version rather than the edit they originally released as a single / taster.

6.   "Walk the Plank"   - Barbieri's soundscapes are very Deadwing / The Incident but if you removed Harrison from it , I think this songs sounds too much like a cast off from Wilson's The Future Bites sessions. Weak track on the album for me.

7.   "Chimera's Wreck"   - THE highlight - excellent.

Bonus tracks on Deluxe version

8.   "Population Three" (instrumental) - Fairly standard instrumental workout - its fine.

9.   "Never Have"   Wilson   - Strong track - should have been on the standard album.

10.   "Love in the Past Tense" - One of my favourites from the whole release - should have been on the standard album.

Final thoughts - It should have been a 10 track album. Holding back 3 tunes to release as a deluxe version is nonsense and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Standard CD is €14 , deluxe version with the 3 tracks on a bonus disc & art book & extra Blu Ray 5.1 dolby mix blah blah blah was €66.

I'll buy the standard version and burn a 10 song CD for the car.

Final, Final thoughts - I think this is Closure , not Continuation. I'm not convinced by Wilson's enthusiasm in interviews about the reunion. Personally I think he took a big financial hit on The Future Bites / cancelled tour and PT is guaranteed income, so he kind of reluctantly went back to it during lockdown.

It's out now, it will sell well and I'm sure the tour will be a success but after that I think he will then go back to solo releases.

Saw Porcupine Tree on Fri in Berlin - absolutely phenomenal. Setlist, visuals, sound - amazing and the band were tight as fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

London's only a couple of weeks away, you just made it better. Thanks Ray.

• Advertisement

Enjoy rednik - I reckon you'll be blow away. I wish I was going to another date on the tour.

Advertisement