Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Stheno wrote: »
    That place has been open since January!

Went there tonight after reading your post, as I love Mexican, and it was super.

Great food, love the nachos and dip appetiser, and the service is fantastic.

We've not been around the Plaza for months, so am not surprised I missed it, but it's a fantastic addition to eateries in Swords.
    They do take away now as of last friday. It's the same owners as Mastersons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Carter12 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to The Brick Room in Balbriggan ?

Theres a deal online which ill buy.
    It looks lovely

thanks

Yes it's lovely. They used to just do Tapas on weekend nights but now they have a new menu which means it will appeal to more people. You can still have Tapas if you want.
    The Bring Your Own Beer is great too - and there isn't a problem bringing actual beer - it doesn't have to be wine.

Nice place to pop into for a scone and coffee during day too.

They have a Facebook page if you want to check out the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm not being funny- but does anyone actually eat there? I walk by it every day and at differing times and I really see very few people in there. When would it's busy times be?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Tried that new incarnation of pasta pizza .Got a couple of take away pizzas and sad to say I was disappointed . The pizzas from pasta pizza were the biz but the new place just wasn't a patch on old..the dough seemed like the frozen kind and toppings seemed like something similar. Disappointing as it was the nicest pizza in town..hopefully just teething problems .

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

Had lunch in La Sirena Malahide saturday - Delicious Mexican - really nice setting and funky restaurant. Lovely views too !
    Would really recommend

• Advertisement

Had lunch in La Sirena Malahide saturday - Delicious Mexican - really nice setting and funky restaurant. Lovely views too !
    Would really recommend
    This is my second fav mexican after the new one in Swords :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Would really recommend

Been there 3 times and had great food. One time though the Burrito was full of chilli's and my mouth was on fire eating it. Afraid to try it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Tried that Mexican la serina in malahide after the positive postings here and it was fantastic. Real authentic freshly cooked food, would defo recommend and will return!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

has anyone tried crabby joes in howth which opened a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

We stopped in at Brascos in Skerries last week, and were quite happy. Desserts were a little disappointing after good starters and mains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 TimANDco.

Took the wife and kids to Thai Gourmet in balbriggan last night as we love Thai food. once again it was awesome. place was empty, maybe only 5 other diners so its nice and quiet. food was great again, the sweet and sour prawn is to die for. also had the beef jungle curry, the jumbo prawn with Thai herbs, both great. kids had crispy chicken and noodles for the younger boy, he about 4. older (5yo) had the ribs starter and the chicken skewer starter, devoured both of them. went ahead and got a dessert at the end which we usually don;t do, was a banana fritter and was nice and crispy outside and warm inside. being a chef myself i can understand the time and care that goes into their food there as you can taste it.

will be returning again and suggest anyone that enjoys thai food to definitely check it out soon, they are next to the cinema off the main road center of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree 100%. It is a fantastic place for a family meal. Great service & top quality food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Anyone tried Libero's Restaurant in Balbriggan? Worth a visit? Nice menu? Did a quick trawl of this thread but couldn't see it mentioned. Thanks.

Went to hogs & heifers in airside last week. late afternoon so no probs getting a table. Shared a steak for 2 was lovely and the onion rings were best ever. Pricey enough though. The steak was €38 & burger was €16 + a few drinks. Say you could easily drop over a €150 in there.

Steak was €38! Jebus - I thought Switzerland was pricey! I hope it was massive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That was expensive for a steak!
    We went to the Old Schoolhouse in Swords last night and I had wings with barbecue sauce which were the nicest I've ever had and they were huge. Then I had beer battered cod with chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce. The fish was really fresh, and all in all it was a great meal. The surroundings are a bit rustic but the food is very good, and reasonably priced. I hadn't been there since it changed hands, it used to be a very upmarket and overpriced restaurant.
    I'll definitely go back.

Was huge. Was for 2 but but could easily have fed 3

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jibberjive

Thought I'd give a quick mention to Essence Bistro in Swords, don't think I've seen them reviewed here. Had a lovely lunch yesterday in Essence (just opposite Pennys). They do two course lunch for €10 & the chicken wings are to die for. We've also had the early bird evening menu a couple of times & thats approx €20 for two courses. Food is always fab & the staff are very friendly. They try source their food locally too which is great. Great to have somewhere decent in Swords for a meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Anyone tried Libero's Restaurant in Balbriggan? Worth a visit? Nice menu? Did a quick trawl of this thread but couldn't see it mentioned. Thanks.

Went along last night. Very nice menu with lots of options and plenty of variety. The quality of food was very good and great value for money. The service was excellent. If I had one gripe it would be that the tables are bit on the small side. Will definitely be back and would highly recommend for a bite to eat.

jibberjive wrote: »
    Thought I'd give a quick mention to Essence Bistro in Swords, don't think I've seen them reviewed here. Had a lovely lunch yesterday in Essence (just opposite Pennys). They do two course lunch for €10 & the chicken wings are to die for. We've also had the early bird evening menu a couple of times & thats approx €20 for two courses. Food is always fab & the staff are very friendly. They try source their food locally too which is great. Great to have somewhere decent in Swords for a meal
    i love their lunch menu and wings. Great value restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's a 30oz Rump Steak so between two that's almost a pound of steak each!

http://hogsandheifers.ie/menus/
    Empire Rump Steak For Two 30oz, served with pepper sauce.

They've a meat plank as well for €48
    The Plank For Two Man V's Meat, 8oz rump steak, half rotisserie chicken, baby back ribs & puled pork.

Myself and the OH ordered this one time (both come with fries and onions), we were nearly ill after we finished it off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That was expensive for a steak!
    We went to the Old Schoolhouse in Swords last night and I had wings with barbecue sauce which were the nicest I've ever had and they were huge. Then I had beer battered cod with chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce. The fish was really fresh, and all in all it was a great meal. The surroundings are a bit rustic but the food is very good, and reasonably priced. I hadn't been there since it changed hands, it used to be a very upmarket and overpriced restaurant.
    I'll definitely go back.

One of my favourite places in Swords tbh :)

Woah! Why split a 30oz steak between two? :pac:

Woah! Why split a 30oz steak between two? :pac:

Savage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Adiaga 2 wrote: »

Never been myself but friends rave about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

One day last week we could not get into Stoops for love nor money or both so the Brick House was next to be tried. There were lots of tables available both upstairs and down as well as outside.

Service: two men in Jeans, drink order mixed up because they just would not listen.

Starters: so so

Mains: fish and chips good, (not smothered in batter), burger OK. Plates were cold.

Value: overpriced - about 2-3 euro more than you would pay in Dublin.

Cleanliness: paper Tapas menus being used as place mats were smeared and had not been changed since previous diners.

Go back? Not me.

I was less than impressed with my last visit there too. Glad it is not just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

We tried Rockabill in Skerries over the weekend. Reasonably priced tasty food, and the staff were extremely friendly. It's also nice and spacious instead of having tables crowded on top of one another. I'd definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Went to Siam Thai in Malahide on Friday night. A little pricey but not over the top.

Good atmosphere and good food but being from Balbriggan, we have better on our own doorstep in the form of Thai Gourmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

sgarvan wrote: »
    Went to Siam Thai in Malahide on Friday night. A little pricey but not over the top.

Good atmosphere and good food but being from Balbriggan, we have better on our own doorstep in the form of Thai Gourmet.

I couldn't agree more.:)

Advertisement