Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacment for Cessna 172

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Are we privy or is it ok to ask where the PC-12s are flying to?

FR24 shows lots of flights to Liege for instance. Is that tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Great new DF podcast speaking to Mr Barcoe, 280 will eventually get the paint scheme of the rest, it was priority to get it & start using it first & that was more important than painting her.

Psychlops wrote: »
    Great new DF podcast speaking to Mr Barcoe, 280 will eventually get the paint scheme of the rest, it was priority to get it & start using it first & that was more important than painting her.

Very good listen!

Was randomly looking at a youtube video the other day of the PC-24.

Would that be a natural replacement for the Learjet when its retirement is due?

Is the flight deck set up the same as the PC-12?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Was randomly looking at a youtube video the other day of the PC-24.

Would that be a natural replacement for the Learjet when its retirement is due?

Is the flight deck set up the same as the PC-12?

That would be a serious drop in capability, 14 pax down to 8 pax and a range reduction from 7,800km to 3,300km (according to Wikipedia).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

The PC24 was designed for PC12 customers who wanted Turbofan instead of turboprop. I.e Bizjet with rough field performance.
    If anything what replaces the Lear should be something far larger. They lost capability with the loss of the G4, which could seat up to 19, depending on configuration. If you went for something more airliner sized, you could manage some troop rotations too, not to mention, having seen in recent days, Covid supplies bungeed into the corner of the Casa, some useful military freight capacity too.
    When we replace anything we need to gain capability, not lose it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

source wrote: »
    That would be a serious drop in capability, 14 pax down to 8 pax and a range reduction from 7,800km to 3,300km (according to Wikipedia).

Are you sure you're looking at the Learjet 45? I don't think Learjet has ever made an aircraft with that kind of range or passenger capacity. That sounds like the Gulfstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Peregrine wrote: »
    Are you sure you're looking at the Learjet 45? I don't think Learjet has ever made an aircraft with that kind of range or passenger capacity. That sounds like the Gulfstream.

You're right, looking at it again it was the gulfstream IV I was looking at not the Learjet 45 which has similar capacity and range as the PC 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As of the first outbreak of Covid, when we had repatriation issues and PPE transport issues, Varadkar was making the case for a heavier airlifter, either a tactical military version like a C-130 Hercules or an airliner with modular fitout like the RNZAF 757s.

Thats not the first time it's been mooted, the Air Corps even had a model of an A320 painted in their colours trying to convince the Govt it needed one.

No doubt there are bean counters coming up with a thousand reasons why not to get one and I could come up with a thousands reasons in favour of it, not least of which is there will not be a cheaper time for many year to pick up a barely used airframe for buttons than now, or indeed to secure a very competitive leasing arrangement from someone like Aer Lingus to wet or dry lease a modern jet for State use from their stored inventory.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    As of the first outbreak of Covid, when we had repatriation issues and PPE transport issues, Varadkar was making the case for a heavier airlifter, either a tactical military version like a C-130 Hercules or an airliner with modular fitout like the RNZAF 757s.

Thats not the first time it's been mooted, the Air Corps even had a model of an A320 painted in their colours trying to convince the Govt it needed one.

No doubt there are bean counters coming up with a thousand reasons why not to get one and I could come up with a thousands reasons in favour of it, not least of which is there will not be a cheaper time for many year to pick up a barely used airframe for buttons than now, or indeed to secure a very competitive leasing arrangement from someone like Aer Lingus to wet or dry lease a modern jet for State use from their stored inventory.

The leasing of a commercial airliner for military use has its own problems. While we have leased in the past it has mostly been for VIP aircraft, such as the HS125 or Gulfstream. Leasing a commercial aircraft comes with T&Cs, most of which insist you use it according to civil regulations and airfields, not military ones. A civilian lease would have served no use last march, as most airports were closed to commercial traffic. Better off buying outright. I know a B737 size was considered in the past, either a BBJ or an A319. Problem is both types would struggle to operate from Baldonnel as it is currently set up.

Thing is anything is better than nothing, at the moment we have nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It should be pointed out to the"bean counters" that that is all they are,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

There are some great bargains out there at the moment. A340's and even A380's.

There is a reason there are A380 being scrapped in Knock.
    https://flyinginireland.com/2020/02/up-to-four-airbus-a380s-to-be-scrapped-in-knock/

Because of it's wake, it requires a larger take off and landing slot at airports. It also needs more seperation in the air for similar reasons. Fine in rural backwater, but when you are operating in any of the international airports, it means a bigger gap between flights. Consequently busy international airports did not want to accept flights by this aircraft during peak times. Anyone who has experienced the Dublin Airport morning rush will know how tight the normal slots are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

always with the solid insight Jonny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Your not even funny any more jonnybigwallet any chance you'd do a Trump on it and fcuk off into the sunset.:(

No need to be insulting. I'll report you if you continue in this vein

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]OK guys. Johnny, no need for the pithy comments. Roundy, you can report things, no in thread moderation please.[/Mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

When the guards are replacing there fixed wing i wonder will the government suggest the pc12, it would save on pilot training

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

roadmaster wrote: »
    When the guards are replacing there fixed wing i wonder will the government suggest the pc12, it would save on pilot training

A PC12 wouldn't really do what the Defender does - fly around slowly in tight orbits for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

I think when the Tender/order went out that was talked about, but the defender is still going.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    A PC12 wouldn't really do what the Defender does - fly around slowly in tight orbits for a long time.

Quite right. But with a proper surveillance suite on board would a new Garda plane need to orbit like a Defender? Surely a combination of a PC-12 Spectre and the helos is comprehensive air support?

To my mind, 4 x PC-12s won't be that busy at the same time anyway, couldn't one of them be tasked to Garda cooperation whenever a fixed wing presence is needed?

Quite right. But with a proper surveillance suite on board would a new Garda plane need to orbit like a Defender? Surely a combination of a PC-12 Spectre and the helos is comprehensive air support?

To my mind, 4 x PC-12s won't be that busy at the same time anyway, couldn't one of them be tasked to Garda cooperation whenever a fixed wing presence is needed?

Are the 4 planes not out the door as it is. By getting the existing platforms to do the garda work would be no different to EAS and leave the fleet short instead of having extra dedicated aircraft. Imagine if the had kept the dauphins they would have being ideal for EAS. Besides I don't think the guards would want to share there toys but it would still be better to have common state aircraft where possible

sparky42 wrote: »
    I think when the Tender/order went out that was talked about, but the defender is still going.

Is there something about crews not liking to fly the defender?

Is there something about crews not liking to fly the defender?

There has been lots of issues over the years. It's fine for what it does, but we have moved on.
    Remains to be seen whether the Existing PC12s with surveillance suites will replace the GASU Defender in many of it's current roles.
    Whether AGS decide then to replace the Defender with their own PC12 (there is already an option for another PC12 for this purpose) or at all is up to them.

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/airbus/french-gov-a340-bargain-sale/

Just to add something to my previous post which refers to potential purchase of a strategic airlifter as proposed by Leo Varadkar.

Too big.
    Cheap to buy but costly to operate. There's a reason the French are dumping it. The french don't throw away something just cos it's old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

For GAS purposes, it doesn't have to be a manned aircraft, though I guess I can imagine Irish Civil Liberties folks going ape over the idea.

About as cheap as you can get is what the US has started doing: Mount the sensor suite of a Predator under the wing of a C-172.
    CAP.jpg

It's actually being done for military simulation purposes, it's cheaper to fly than an actual Predator, but it is listed as an option for civil support operations when there is a request for air coverage with a note that when considering the bill to be paid at the end, this is about at the bottom of the scale. C-172 may be a little -too- small, but it goes to show you can mount good optics on almost anything.

For GAS purposes, it doesn't have to be a manned aircraft, though I guess I can imagine Irish Civil Liberties folks going ape over the idea.

About as cheap as you can get is what the US has started doing: Mount the sensor suite of a Predator under the wing of a C-172.
    CAP.jpg

It's actually being done for military simulation purposes, it's cheaper to fly than an actual Predator, but it is listed as an option for civil support operations when there is a request for air coverage with a note that when considering the bill to be paid at the end, this is about at the bottom of the scale. C-172 may be a little -too- small, but it goes to show you can mount good optics on almost anything.

It isn't so much about size, but endurance. The aircraft needs to be able to loiter for extended periods taking into consideration crew comfort. (the Defender went u/s when the toilet wasn't working). While Air Corps may be happy to wear a nappy, you won't get that past the GRA/AGSI.
    The other requirements after that are garda comms (not the easiest with tetra) and video downlink.

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/airbus/french-gov-a340-bargain-sale/

Just to add something to my previous post which refers to potential purchase of a strategic airlifter as proposed by Leo Varadkar.

Have a day off ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

A number of UK police forces used Defenders, NPAS now uses four Vulcanair (formerly Partenavia) P68s.

Advertisement