Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone give a tuppenny damn about Twitter?

Options
  • 24-04-2019 2:38pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Seems like an echo chamber full of head-the-balls and bots to me. People thinking they're changing the world when they get a #hashtag trending when in reality nobody cares. As for the company itself, it turned a profit for the first time in 12 years at a time when it is shedding users. It really calls into question the value placed on some companies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A bunch of dangerous anti-social Marxist clowns with an axe to grind who would want to see the real world and come out of their own bubble for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

theguzman wrote: »
    A bunch of dangerous anti-social Marxist clowns with an axe to grind who would want to see the real world and come out of their own bubble for a change.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's handy when there's election counts going on. The possibly the only time I've ever used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm a fan of its better side. Very good for instant information and curation can filter out the nutters and the bile from your feed. It sums up the best and worst of social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Obviously loads of people care.

An awful lot of "I don't care, therefore nobody else does" out there. Think beyond yourself.

Twitter is what you make it. I only follow light stuff like TV show discussions. Can completely avoid the nut jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP, you obviously care cos you posted this thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

How else can I know when the luciferians are going to spray the chem trails?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You do understand that the 'echo chamber' is by and large your own self creation don't you? You chose to follow or interact with certain people and that's how your time line gets created.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Hurrache wrote: »
    You do understand that the 'echo chamber' is by and large your own self creation don't you? You chose to follow or interact with certain people and that's how your time line gets created.

^^This^^

Though Jack Dorsey has come out recently with idea's of changing the format to more group based approach meaning this could end up becoming even more of an echo chamber.

This was in reaction to the calls of alot of left wing bias (inconsistent monitoring, the banning of Milo Yiannopoulos and many others with right wing views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Twitter is not America

KSU wrote: »
    ^^This^^

Though Jack Dorsey has come out recently with idea's of changing the format to more group based approach meaning this could end up becoming even more of an echo chamber.

This was in reaction to the calls of alot of left wing bias (inconsistent monitoring, the banning of Milo Yiannopoulos and many others with right wing views.

Yiannopoulos is a troll by nature and some right wing views really don't deserve any platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

About 3 yrs ago I downloaded the app and registered. Gave it a go for s few days...I have never come across such utter Shiite in all my life. I deleted my account and the app after about 2 days.

About 3 yrs ago I downloaded the app and registered. Gave it a go for s few days...I have never come across such utter Shiite in all my life. I deleted my account and the app after about 2 days.
    My initial reaction too. At least 75% of it is just noise but there is good stuff there once you block out all of the rubbish.

This is the thing, you went looking for the ****e.it's a reflection of your own interests and searches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

None of those social media sites have any value. None of them. Not Twitter, Tinder, Facebook, Instagram or any of them are any good.

My daughter is always on Instagram and I remind her that she’s wasting her time on that ****e, sharing posts about “fatphobia” and “diet culture.” Looking for excuses to eat like a pig.

My son is on something called Strava with his friends, that one is for people who run. That’s a bit better, a social media page for getting out of the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yes I like it. It's extremely handy.

Open it up in the morning and scroll. News, sport, weather, traffic, all in a few seconds. The trick is following what you want and not following what you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There's gay Twitter. You'd like it, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

"I like Trump"
    That statement really gets most twit twats annoyed.. hehe!
    :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't use it, don't care for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It's great for getting racing tips.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    None of those social media sites have any value. None of them. Not Twitter, Tinder, Facebook, Instagram or any of them are any good.

My daughter is always on Instagram and I remind her that she’s wasting her time on that ****e, sharing posts about “fatphobia” and “diet culture.” Looking for excuses to eat like a pig.

My son is on something called Strava with his friends, that one is for people who run. That’s a bit better, a social media page for getting out of the house!

They're tools, and like all tools, they're only of use when you know how to use them. Your daughter is the issue I'm sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They're tools, and like all tools, they're only of use when you know how to use them. Your daughter is the issue I'm sorry to say.

They aren't exactly hard to use, dude. A rhesus monkey could probably be up and running within the hour, and spouting his worthless opinions on them by late morning.

They aren't exactly hard to use, dude. A rhesus monkey could probably be up and running within the hour, and spouting his worthless opinions on them by late morning.

They obviously are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I like Twitter, it could be even better if it was run with no allegiance to one political side or the other.

Can't see that ever happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I rarely post anything on it but follow lots of politics, news, current affairs people which is great for keeping up to date on Trump and Brexit amongst other things. After that it's tech, gaming, tv and radio feeds which give you a heads up on what they might be covering or have covered. Between that and youtube clips, traditional newspaper and broadcast TV is almost finished for me.

Its a great resource as long as you don't follow idiots/influencers/vacuous pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Twitter....

mob.jpg?resize=320%2C240&ssl=1

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yiannopoulos is a troll by nature and some right wing views really don't deserve any platform.

The complaints weren't about him being banned per say it was the fact that he was banned for comparable or lesser comments than notable liberals showing a political bias in how it is policed while claiming they can't do anything about trolls because they don't want to censor content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

This is the thing, you went looking for the ****e.it's a reflection of your own interests and searches.
    Exactly. How could it be shyte if a person follows what they want to follow? :confused:

I suppose maybe there's suggested stuff which is shyte but it's extremely easy to filter out. I follow news agencies without much of an agenda - it's ideal I think, as you can tailor it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I don't use it or take it seriously. The only thing it's contributed as far as I can see is making life easier for lazy journalists who just copy and paste from Twitter and hawk the output as a "story". I also hate the way the press and news media treat Twitter as if it's somehow something important. Twitter proves the saying that just because you have an audience doesn't mean you actually have anything to say.

"Twitter had a meltdown" = several Twitter users had a whinge. Yawn.

Advertisement