Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport card finally on the way.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

random_guy wrote: »
    Irish people can not get second passports.
    When i hand in my passport for a visa I technically have no ID. It also leaves me unable to travel.

Many of my colleagues on the other hand have their national ID as well as 2 passports.
    well, you can get a second Irish passport but that is only in very exceptional circumstances , so normally folks that travel to the likes of Russia and China and other countries without visa waivers, and have their passport constantly away as part of a visa application for one country or the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I lost my licence and am unable to apply for a new one as I don't have a passport. Passed my NCT recently and they were unable to give me the cert as a result. Have been given a Cert of Identity form by the NDLS to get filled in but local Gardai say they can't sign it as they don't know me. GP has gone away on some mid life crisis retreat and won't be back for a year. My bank manager doesn't know me to see either, nor do any local TDs. I basically don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

well then dont get one if it doesnt suit you. there are not compulsory.

They are for driving licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

colmulhall wrote: »
    They are for driving licenses.

He means these passport cards are not compulsory.

The new driving licence is a definite improvement of the old parchment we used to have.

murpho999 wrote: »
    He means these passport cards are not compulsory.

The new driving licence is a definite improvement of the old parchment we used to have.

Totally agree that they are an improvement. I'll just have to live with the fear of losing my wallet I guess! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

random_guy wrote: »
    Irish people can not get second passports.
    When i hand in my passport for a visa I technically have no ID. It also leaves me unable to travel.

Many of my colleagues on the other hand have their national ID as well as 2 passports.

You can get a second Irish passport, had one in the past.

Though a number of Irish guys I've worked with seem to have absolutely no problem getting them, I found the passport office to be quite difficult about it. So as hold a British passport too, got a second one of these instead, was much less hassle (cheaper too).

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

colmulhall wrote: »
    Totally agree that they are an improvement. I'll just have to live with the fear of losing my wallet I guess! :p

But I'd have kept my old licence in my wallet anyway so I don't see the difference.

Losing your wallet is never a good idea anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What's the point in this is a current government quango going to look after it or will they set-up another one to deal with just these. You don't need a passport to go to the UK for example never been asked for on on the boat. Just a guy when you come back asking nationality if you say an EU one you don't even get stopped.

If we are going down this rout I don't see the need to have a passport and these. As the card will just be a copy of the back page in the passport with a chip/pin/sim in it. No idea really in this day and age it's not just an app that you sink from your phone to the scanner in the airport and that transfers the key to view your file from a database.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Passport cards??

Passport cards can kiss my ass!!

I want an implant with APDU technology so I can be processed "contactlessly" as I go through the metal detector in an airport.

Let's get with the 21st century people.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

IRLConor wrote: »

That is incredible.
    I've searched for this before and even asked someone I know who works for the dept. Of foreign affairs and never heard of it.

Now it is of course useless as I'll be getting the passport card.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What's the point in this is a current government quango going to look after it or will they set-up another one to deal with just these. You don't need a passport to go to the UK for example never been asked for on on the boat. Just a guy when you come back asking nationality if you say an EU one you don't even get stopped.

If we are going down this rout I don't see the need to have a passport and these. As the card will just be a copy of the back page in the passport with a chip/pin/sim in it. No idea really in this day and age it's not just an app that you sink from your phone to the scanner in the airport and that transfers the key to view your file from a database.

You don't need a passport to the UK unless you are flying Ryanair, which is a pretty common way to travel there.

5starpool wrote: »
    You don't need a passport to the UK unless you are flying Ryanair, which is a pretty common way to travel there.

Is that not just Ryanair policy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I lost my licence and am unable to apply for a new one as I don't have a passport. Passed my NCT recently and they were unable to give me the cert as a result. Have been given a Cert of Identity form by the NDLS to get filled in but local Gardai say they can't sign it as they don't know me. GP has gone away on some mid life crisis retreat and won't be back for a year. My bank manager doesn't know me to see either, nor do any local TDs. I basically don't exist.

Ask to speak to his/her superior... The Gardas job is to witness you signing the form, doesn't matter if they know you or not.

murpho999 wrote: »
    But I'd have kept my old licence in my wallet anyway so I don't see the difference.

Losing your wallet is never a good idea anyway.

I find the old licence too bulky for the wallet which meant it lived in my car. Obviously I have no plans to lose my wallet and hope to god it doesnt happen, but it my passport, license and other cards were all to go missing on one go that would be awful frustrating.

That being said cards are definitely the way to go for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I suppose these new passport cards are a decent enough idea for those who do a lot of hopping over-and-back to the Continong. Personally I don't think I need it, as I have a driver's license with me all the time and the regular passport for those occasions when I leave the country. But do you know what gets right up my left nostril about this? Do you? I shall tell you - the fact that a regular book-passport lasts ten years, and these new things, running parallel beside them in chopped-down, easy-to-carry, convenient Euro-ID form, last five. Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

jimgoose wrote: »
    I suppose these new passport cards are a decent enough idea for those who do a lot of hopping over-and-back to the Continong. Personally I don't think I need it, as I have a driver's license with me all the time and the regular passport for those occasions when I leave the country. But do you know what gets right up my left nostril about this? Do you? I shall tell you - the fact that a regular book-passport lasts ten years, and these new things, running parallel beside them in chopped-down, easy-to-carry, convenient Euro-ID form, last five. Why??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Oh indeed. What I find offensive is the way that no opportunity, no matter how trifling, to make an eejit out of John F. Citizen and extract twice the necessary amount of money out of him, is passed up. In a civilised jurisdiction whoever came up with this one would be physically dragged from his/her office by the head of hair and set on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

If that was really the case they'd be compulsory.

petrolcan wrote: »
    If that was really the case they'd be compulsory.

The same way passports are compulsory?

The same way passports are compulsory?

Passports are only compulsory if you intend to travel.

• Advertisement

Passports are only compulsory if you intend to travel.

So what you're talking about then is if these new yokes were a general-purpose ID card, as are compulsory in most Continental jurisdictions. Well they're not, we're told they're a chopped-down, compact form of passport. And those who want/need them are being made eejits of, yet again.

So what you're talking about then is if these new yokes were a general-purpose ID card, as are compulsory in most Continental jurisdictions. Well they're not, we're told they're a chopped-down, compact form of passport.

But I'm not talking about ID cards.
    And those who want/need them are being made eejits of, yet again.

I don't see why they are being made eejits of.

I've an Irish passport and I intend to get one of these cards for the convenience alone. It's only some money.

But I'm not talking about ID cards.

I don't see why they are being made eejits of.

I've an Irish passport and I intend to get one of these cards for the convenience alone. It's only some money.

Ah yes, I can see that you're not being made an eejit. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Last time I went thru passport control at dublin the Garda looked at me, not my passport, and said 'you're back again' and waved me thru.
    Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.

Menas wrote: »
    Last time I went thru passport control at dublin the Garda looked at me, not my passport, and said 'you're back again' and waved me thru.
    Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.

Could mean you're on a list!

So what you're talking about then is if these new yokes were a general-purpose ID card, as are compulsory in most Continental jurisdictions. Well they're not, we're told they're a chopped-down, compact form of passport. And those who want/need them are being made eejits of, yet again.

Well you're not really, they're an added extra for your normal passport.

Paying for the extra convenience of having a card form of your passport.

So if you don't want one, don't get one and just use your normal passport. Simple.

Is that not just Ryanair policy though.

It is, but it doesn't make it any less compulsory when travelling on Ryanair.

5starpool wrote: »
    It is, but it doesn't make it any less compulsory when travelling on Ryanair.

So It's not a actual legal requirement. It's a company policy. Surprised it has not been challenged in the courts to be fair. UK/IRE open boarders with each other.

So It's not a actual legal requirement. It's a company policy. Surprised it has not been challenged in the courts to be fair. UK/IRE open boarders with each other.

No, it's just their policies. ID cards from other European countries are accepted forms of ID, but for Irish people it's only passports which is irritating, as a Polish person on the same flight as me to/from the UK won't need a cumbersome passport but I would. This card (I presume Ryanair will be accepting it) should remove this annoyance though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Oh indeed. What I find offensive is the way that no opportunity, no matter how trifling, to make an eejit out of John F. Citizen.

I hate that guy. :mad:

Advertisement