Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport card finally on the way.

Options
  • 30-09-2015 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Ireland's passport card is finally on track to bring launched.

About bloody time too. It was always burdensome having to lug a full passport book when only going to mainland Europe.

This can also act as a good and credible form of ID.

If you lose it, it's not like losing a full passport book in terms of getting Garda stamps and restricting further applications of passport.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0930/731505-passport-cards/

I, for one, welcome these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It was always burdensome having to lug a full passport book when only going to mainland Europe.

Wow.... 1st world problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

mikeecho wrote: »

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

mikeecho wrote: »

:rolleyes:, did you really have to make a comment.

The OP is exactly right, having a card is a much more convenient option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Amazingfun wrote: »
    :rolleyes:, did you really have to make a comment.

The OP is exactly right, having a card is a much more convenient option.

I'm sorry you feel that reading my comment was such a burden on you, and I hope you won't be lugging around a grudge.

..insert smiley face etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is this part of a Europe wide movement, because I for one would not put trust in border police in every country in the EU accepting these...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Not sure about all these cards. If you loose your wallet, you're fcuked.

No bank card, driving licence or passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

another ****ing thing I have to renew every few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

What a terribly written article. Diverges into something completely unrelated about US border policy...

The cards were supposed to be launched by today (end of Sept) as /was/ written here https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/new-passport-card/

They've removed all reference to sept and changed it just to "soon" (tm)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Very useful and long overdue.
    When you need to give in your passport into an embassy for a visa etc you can still travel on the passport card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Just barcode us and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just barcode us and be done with it.

It would make so much so much easier.

• Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

kneemos wrote: »
    It would make so much so much easier.

And more convenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

But I keep the passports on a shelf in the dresser behind a picture frame. They stick up above the frame so I can always see them. The cards will be too small. I'll forget they are there and will have to search everywhere. No no, this won't do at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

And here I was thinking I'd heard Irish people moaning about everything, but never heard of our lack of card-sized passport replacements until today. Something new all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Handy to use for ID as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is this part of a Europe wide movement, because I for one would not put trust in border police in every country in the EU accepting these...

No it's not a Europe wide movement but many EU countries particularly within Schengen use their national identity cards as passports and these already accepted by Irish immigration upon arrival here.

So now that Ireland is issuing it's own sort of card then updates will be sent to EU countries justice departments and then then added to accepted documents so I don't see how you foresee problems with border guards.

What annoys me is that you have to pay extra for it and doesn't come with the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I would like to get one of these ASAP, but with my main passport expiring early next year that means the passport card would expire with the main one, so I'll have to wait to next year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

They have these in the USA for people who mainly/only make land border crossings. Don't know if I'd want to have one in addition to my "normal" passport, why have two? If you just expected to go back and forth to the contient for 10 years it would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Now the bad news ..... how much for the pleasure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Apparently you have to apply using a smartphone app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I presume they will use the same photo as is on the passport, if not the same ID will have 2 different photos and be idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Not only is it less burdensome than having to lug a full passport around, you also get to travel with a lighter wallet ? Is there no end to the wins with this thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Will definitely be picking up one of these when they are available.

I find I'm asked for ID non-stop when in the US, something that never happens here. Want to make a $50 card payment? ID. Want to buy a beer? ID. I once was asked for ID once when just trying to make a restaurant booking.

My passport goes in the safe when I travel, as the idea of being abroad and without documentation as well as a wallet if you get pick-pocketed is a nightmare. It would be nice to have an alternative to carry around in those instances.

Having half (or less!) the validity of an actual passport is a bit cheeky of them, though. I don't mind paying extra for it, but it shouldn't need to be renewed twice as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Will definitely be picking up one of these when they are available.

I find I'm asked for ID non-stop when in the US, something that never happens here. Want to make a $50 card payment? ID. Want to buy a beer? ID. I once was asked for ID once when just trying to make a restaurant booking.

My passport goes in the safe when I travel, as the idea of being abroad and without documentation as well as a wallet if you get pick-pocketed is a nightmare. It would be nice to have an alternative to carry around in those instances.

Having half (or less!) the validity of an actual passport is a bit cheeky of them, though. I don't mind paying extra for it, but it shouldn't need to be renewed twice as often.

Been saying for ages that we need a national ID card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Neil3030 wrote: »

All European countries bar ourselves, the UK (of course we'd be following their lead), Norway (non EU), Iceland (same) and Denmark have national identity cards. We're bringing in one now and Norway in 2017. So that answers your first question.

Also, i've personally seen Identity cards being accepted in other EU countries as travel documents. So yeah, they'll be accepted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭You Mirin?

Saw people using these at border patrol in different EU airports, wondered if it was only the natives of those countries that could use them when reentering their country but these working all around Europe is great.

They won't work outside EU though, no? Because of visa stamps etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

You Mirin? wrote: »
    Saw people using these at border patrol in different EU airports, wondered if it was only the natives of those countries that could use them when reentering their country but these working all around Europe is great.

They won't work outside EU though, no? Because of visa stamps etc.

No they won't, for that reason. Asked about them in the Passport office when i saw the sign and was told as much

Advertisement