Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

kneemos wrote: »
    The bit of it I saw was just nonsense. They just had Marty doing stupid stuff he'd never done before,like going on the DART??,a first for Marty,swimming the forty foot,and something about dipping his backside in an ice bath.

I think the whole sthick was because it was Marty,the other guy was a bit of a bystander in the whole look at Marty show.

Couldn't care what they do once it's on the cheap.two dopes flying needlessly to NYC on a junket pisses me off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Dee Forbes should be dragged into the joint Oireachtas committee, and made sit though a few episodes of that utter sh1te and made to explain herself.

smurgen wrote: »
    Couldn't care what they do once it's on the cheap.two dopes flying needlessly to NYC on a junket pisses me off.

Don’t forget at least 8-10 support staff, producers, cameramen, sound engineers, runners etc... and no doubt all staying in a fairly expensive hotel for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Also two very portly middle aged men with their tops off.

Also two very portly middle aged men with their tops off.

Also 2 ex ‘Dancing with the Staff’ members.

Next Autumn on RTÉ: we send Conor McGregors sister to Australia for a month to see what mad craic the Irish are getting up to down under!

Also, the Nathan Carter show returns: no, not a new series, just the original series repeated for the 13th time!! Will it be unlucky for some? Tune in and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Isnt that a large chunk of RTEs "programming" anyways?

-Marty and other screwing round New York
    -DanJella touring America
    -The property/architect guy wandering the world, looking at nice houses
    -Show with a group of 6 "celebrities" flailing around India I think it was

And every one will have, as AndyBoBandy mentioned, a slew of camerafolks, producers, directors, etc etc......all on our dime.

And now the broadcast charge isnt even pushed as people can watch the RTE player online, but just to cover the loophole of using streaming services over conventional TV.....just make it a f****ng tax already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Don’t forget at least 8-10 support staff, producers, cameramen, sound engineers, runners etc... and no doubt all staying in a fairly expensive hotel for a week.

I doubt that. One Director, one camera op, one sound op and maybe a producer and or production assistant. They might hire camera op/ sound op in NY. I doubt they would stay a week , maybe 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Now that I can no longer receive any RTE signals with the equipment in my house am I free from the TV License?
    I have a TV, but no TV subscription, and no Saorview box or satellite dish.

As far as I am aware, I cannot actually watch live RTE on my TV even if I wanted to without buying further equipment.

I'm off to research the TV license site, and see how they will justify the fact I still need to pay, but I'm open to Boardsie advice on how to make a valid claim/argument that I don't need to pay anymore.

Some research done:
    Do I need a licence if my television set has not been "upgraded" to receive digital signals?
    An analogue television set, with or without a set-top box, will still require a Television Licence.
    The definition of a Television set (Section 140 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009)

"television set" means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception ( whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it ) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.

Seems like absolute boll0x to me.
    I have a TV, but it is no longer capable of receiving any general broadcasts as they have altered the format of this broadcast.

I only watch TV content on a monitor, Do I need a TV Licence?
    You require a TV Licence in the following circumstances:

Connecting a SKY/Virgin Media/Saorview or any type of Digital TV Receiver to your monitor
    Viewing any TV Programmes broadcast for general reception over broadband (e.g. Eir TV/Vodafone TV) on your monitor requires a TV Licence.

Still don't know how this relates to my situation.
    I have the internet on a screen, I have no idea how this could/should qualify me.

I believe as long as you own a TV, you are required to have a licence for it, even if it doesn't receive any signals, it has the ability to receive signals.

but that's just me guessing, you'd want to be 100% sure you don't need a licence in your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I believe as long as you own a TV, you are required to have a licence for it, even if it doesn't receive any signals, it has the ability to receive signals.

but that's just me guessing, you'd want to be 100% sure you don't need a licence in your situation.

My TV was bought in NI so it doesn't have a tuner capable of receiving any rte signals, even before the digital switchover. I'd say not paying the licence would still get me an hour in Mountjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

AFAIK it comes down to having a "tuner" or it used to.

If the TV has a tuner you have to pay even if it can't decode the Irish Broadcast format.

Removing the tuner on certain models isn't overly difficult.

Maybe ring them and ask if the tuner is removed from the TV are you exempt.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

What's the point in making the declaration that you don't have a tv if they keep sending you letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Boggles wrote: »
    AFAIK it comes down to having a "tuner" or it used to.

If the TV has a tuner you have to pay even if it can't decode the Irish Broadcast format.

Removing the tuner on certain models isn't overly difficult.

Maybe ring them and ask if the tuner is removed from the TV are you exempt.

Fair enough, that does seem to be the deciding factor.
    I just genuinely don't understand the logic whereby a tuner qualifies you as able to receive signals, when RTE no longer broadcast in any format that it can receive.
    From my reading, If I swap out my TV for a traditional monitor I would actually be OK.
    I'm not sure about functionality of modern 32" monitors, and if they would effectively qualify as TV's for all intents and purposes.

I had thought it would be cost prohibitive to make the change, but looks like 1 year of TV license would actually buy me a monitor, if I can get my information straight.

I know the final advice will always be "call the TV License guys", but we all know that phone calls to customer services, particularly anything remotely public sector will r3esult in being told to pay for stuff just in case, and/or wildly contradictory advice and logic to get there.

I will consider sending a clear email with my request, but also don't want to remove my plausible deniability :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Balanadan wrote: »
    What's the point in making the declaration that you don't have a tv if they keep sending you letters?
    They did that with me for a time, even after I signed the declaration and had to post one twice because they lost the first one(second went registered), but after I rang them a few times to politely repeat I. Don't. Have. A. Telly. Which I don't. they stopped. Haven't heard a peep from them in over a year.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I only watch TV content on a monitor, Do I need a TV Licence?
    You require a TV Licence in the following circumstances:

Connecting a SKY/Virgin Media/Saorview or any type of Digital TV Receiver to your monitor
    Viewing any TV Programmes broadcast for general reception over broadband (e.g. Eir TV/Vodafone TV) on your monitor requires a TV Licence.

That part above is so wishy washy & vague, i could see people being coerced into just paying for it even if they only stream non-tv stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

30 minutes news at 6.01 all week it seems. Fecking lazy bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just because it's Easter time,main presenters all arse off for a week or two as if there was nothing happening in the World.Radio has Miriam in for Sean O'Rourke,Damien O'Reilly in for Joe on Liveline,which is not a bad thing,but those people haven't a clue what a full weeks work is,yet they earn immoral salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I can't be the only one who thinks and hour long news is far too long?

They're the only channel (Irish) that does the hour long news-and it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Just because it's Easter time,main presenters all arse off for a week or two as if there was nothing happening in the World.Radio has Miriam in for Sean O'Rourke,Damien O'Reilly in for Joe on Liveline,which is not a bad thing,but those people haven't a clue what a full weeks work is,yet they earn immoral salaries.

You forgot Marion Finucane. She was off as well. Her slot was covered by Brendan o Connor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

You forgot Marion Finucane. She was off as well. Her slot was covered by Brendan o Connor.
    yea and she will be off to the as summer .
    Unbelievable .I wonder when her contract is up.
    It won't be a moment too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

bigroad wrote: »

Why does she need so much time off, it's a two day a week gig.

I do like her, she's a good interviewer,but her salary is cartoonish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

bigroad wrote: »

I think she's very good. Just because most RTÉ "stars" are grossly over paid, that doesn't mean that they are all rubbish.

The reason a lot of them have so much time off I imagine is because they are contractors. They sign a contract for x number of shows with RTÉ. Bad value for money from Dee Forbes and the like at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Why does she need so much time off, it's a two day a week gig.

I do like her, she's a good interviewer,but her salary is cartoonish.

Rte fear bbc or some large American network are going to swipe her and other ‘talent’ up so they give ridiculous dates to them to keep them and a ridiculous pay packet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Ireland TV Licence Resistance.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462270700581275/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great to see their openness to civilised debate and discussion;

absolutely No TV licence "supporters" (instant ban)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Great to see their openness to civilised debate and discussion;

If they're trying to organise a resistance then why would they host the opposition?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If they're trying to organise a resistance then why would they host the opposition?
    Hey, I'm a cyclist, so you don't need to tell me anything about geniuses who arrive in to a forum with the 'great idea' that has been debunked many, many times before with actual facts.

But if you're going to 'organise a resistance', you're going to need to hear the counter arguments and be able to address them. If you're afraid to hear other voices, it doesn't bode well for their ability to set out a coherent position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

..... If you're afraid to hear other voices, it doesn't bode well for their ability to set out a coherent position.

Which describes RTE quite aptly.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Which describes RTE quite aptly.
    In fairness, you can say pretty much whatever you like on RTE's social media pages without any fear of retribution or banning.

Advertisement