Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is/was Ireland's most famous sports star?

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Hoboo wrote: »
    McGregor doesn't represent ireland either. Nor does McIlroy.

When the flags of the countries are displayed ahead of an mma bout I'm afraid to tell you when Mcgregor is involved he affiliated to the Irish flag,in golf Mcilroy under a Northern Ireland flag display and Eoin Morgan represents England.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,653 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

FitzShane wrote:
    And they probably assume he is English.
    They don't know him so wouldn't be assuming anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

AdamD wrote: »
    1 billion Chinese people knowing you is more than 300 million Americans, like it or not.

This entire thread has been too American focused. If you have the Indian market you're more famous than the American, just because our news is Anglo centric doesn't change that fact.

This has been mentioned a few times yet at no point did anyone mention the US, talk from the POV of the US, nor are fame rankings based on the US.

There are tons of domestic US superstars that aren't globally famous. Baseball stars for example. The global rankings are not at all US focused.

They are based on your reach around the world. The population of any individual country is irrelevant to fame rankings.

Though incidentally, the fact that China has such an enormous population is precisely why a Chinese swimmer is up there in the top 25 though.

Most of the top superstars are that famous because they're completely transcended the sport they compete in to become household names in pretty much every corner of the earth.

Same as top musicans, bands and actors.

Most of the top superstars are that famous because they're completely transcended the sport they compete in to become household names in pretty much every corner of the earth.
    This and McGregor has done that. There are more people these days, due to social media, who have become world famous.
    Back years ago the likes of Muhammad Ali, Pele, Maradona, Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan all transcended to global recognition. There weren't many more who did that.
    It's not as big of a deal these days but even now there aren't that many who are known in all corners of the globe but McGregor would be one of them. I think McIlroy is too but winning the Masters and becoming the sixth golfer in history to win all four will shoot him up the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

The more I think about this, the more I think it’s McIlroy.

Very few people get to a point where their first name is enough to identify them.

When someone says “Rory”, most people know exactly who that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Very few people get to a point where their first name is enough to identify them.

Well that’s probably in a very limited set of people. If I say Sonia people on this board will know who I mean but that doesn’t travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Amongst my surroundings you would clearly be referring to Rory Gallagher there.

Amongst sports fans globally, if you say “Rory”, they know exactly who that is.

There’s a reason why Nike are paying McIlroy $300m over 10 years.

There is no other Irish sportsperson in that part of the stratosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Amongst sports fans globally, if you say “Rory”, they know exactly who that is.

There’s a reason why Nike are paying McIlroy $300m over 10 years.

There is no other Irish sportsperson in that part of the stratosphere.

I think your over stating the ‘Rory’ bit. He’s not exact Elvis. Obviously in Ireland and in the golfing world generally people will know but I think your reaching. Btw I’m not arguing against his level of fame just that narrow point of using one name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Hoboo wrote: »
    McGregor doesn't represent ireland either. Nor does McIlroy.

Ivory Coast though....

resized_Conor_McGregor_YouTube_still.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

He's no Elvis Costello, you're right there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ya. Rory Gallagher or your man from Wanderly Wagon not some midget from the Gold Coast

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/most-famous-athletes-in-the-world-2018-5

Two Irish people on the list: Conor McGregor at 18 and Rory McIlroy at 15. Ronaldo Number One.

In order to produce its World Fame 100 list, the media giant ESPN used three metrics to determine popularity:

1) Search score (how frequently is a player's name typed into search engines on the internet?)
    2) Endorsements (how much money has the athlete generated from his or her own brand value?)
    3) Social media followers (how many millions of followers does the athlete have on his or her biggest social media channel?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Once again, that's outdated rankings. There is an updated 2019 ranking.

ESPN 2019 Rankings

McGregor is 5th. McIllroy is 25th.

McGregor is 5th. McIllroy is 25th.
    Yeah and next year it could well be McIlroy 5th and McGregor 25th.
    We are not talking about a yearly thing here.
    If McIlroy wins the Masters this weekend he will be only the sixth man in history to do that and the first since Tiger Woods. That news will reverberate around the world and Rory will be forever more famous than Conor McGregor.
    At this moment I'd say it's very close between them as to who is most well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I would make a guess that anyone who knows who Rory McIlroy is, will automatically know who Conor McGregor is.
    I would also make a guess than anyone who knows who Conor McGregor is does not automatically know who Rory McIlroy is.

It's not down to sporting achievements, it's just being in the general spotlight all of the time, in additon to sporting achievements. Isn't that what 'fame' is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It’s hilarious reading all the posts about McGregor being more famous than Eoin Morgan just becuase McGregor’s been on a few American talk shows.

This kind of dismission towards any country or countries outside of the Anglo-sphere, regardless of their size, hints at cultural superiority and reeks of more than a little racism to me. Neither of which would surprise me about fans of McGregor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

eagle eye wrote: »
    If McIlroy wins the Masters this weekend he will be only the sixth man in history to do that and the first since Tiger Woods. That news will reverberate around the world and Rory will be forever more famous than Conor McGregor.

I think you're overestimating that somewhat. great achievement but who was the 6th man in the world to do anything. It's also a substantial 'if'...
    he's not really materialising into one of the all time greats that most said he would become. At this point I doubt he'll be in the top 5 of most major titles throughout a career.
    Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It’s hilarious reading all the posts about McGregor being more famous than Eoin Morgan just becuase McGregor’s been on a few American talk shows.

This kind of dismission towards any country or countries outside of the Anglo-sphere, regardless of their size, hints at cultural superiority and reeks of more than a little racism to me. Neither of which would surprise me about fans of McGregor.

LOL :D

FitzShane wrote:
    I would make a guess that anyone who knows who Rory McIlroy is, will automatically know who Conor McGregor is. I would also make a guess than anyone who knows who Conor McGregor is does not automatically know who Rory McIlroy is.
    Why would you guess that golf fans worldwide would know any mma fighter. There are lots and lots of golfers who work, play golf and watch golf and do nothing else outside of bringing up their family.

• Advertisement

Why would you guess that golf fans worldwide would know any mma fighter. There are lots and lots of golfers who work, play golf and watch golf and do nothing else outside of bringing up their family.

Because there are a certain number of sport-stars that everyone just knows about, even if you don't follow the sport.

I think that just naming 'McGregor' has more notoriety to it than 'Rory' or 'Morgan' does.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Because there are a certain number of sport-stars that everyone just knows about, even if you don't follow the sport.

I think that just naming 'McGregor' has more notoriety to it than 'Rory' or 'Morgan' does.

In English speaking countries. I doubt many people from Jndia or Sri Lanka give a ****e about McGregor.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    In English speaking countries. I doubt many people from Jndia or Sri Lanka give a ****e about McGregor.

They might not care about him, but they certainly know about him. Which is the point of this discussion - who is the most 'famous'.

FitzShane wrote: »
    They might not care about him, but they certainly know about him. Which is the point of this discussion - who is the most 'famous'.

Huge swathes of the population wouldn’t know about him. Millions upon millions of people.

Hilarious to hear people downplaying the achievement of winning a career Grand Slam.

It would be the single greatest achievement in the history of Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There are lots and lots of golfers who work, play golf and watch golf and do nothing else outside of bringing up their family.

FYP.

Advertisement