Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport card finally on the way.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I did have a ground staff in Dublin at the boarding gate defer me to a ryanair staff member when I presented my card, no problem after that. I guess ground staff member who was helping with the boarding hadn't encountered one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Using it for 3/4 months now virtually every week (Germany, UK and Ireland) and not had a single issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Had a couple of airports in europe where they look bewildered by the card and they told me they never saw it before. But they usually went onto the department of foreign affairs website to see if it was legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Used mine coming from Poitiers to Dublin on Monday. Small airport with few destinations. The two French passport control officers said it was the first time they'd seen it and gave it a good looking over. They were however aware of its introduction so there were no issues. Was more a curiosity thing and I think they were quite impressed with the security features.

Also flew from Luton to Paris about three weeks ago and had no issues so sounds like the poster's daughter in Stansted just came across someone who didn't know what they were doing. Definitely no rules on it being for flights in/out of Ireland only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Ryanair tried the same thing with me in Düsseldorf Weeze on a flight to London.....passportcard is only for use entering or leaving Ireland. Kindly asked the lady to give the statement to me in writing with her name on it. She looked at me a little funny and refused.....a passing German border police officer then sorted it for me and made it very clear to the young lady that I was entitle to travel anywhere within the EU or Schengen Area on it. He then laughed and told me to tweet Ryanair and a good tabloid about her stupidity.

Just to prove her wrong I quickly pulled up the DFA website and asked her if she would like to read it........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

a good tabloid ...

Whats the German for "Contradiction in terms" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »

Whats the German for "Contradiction in terms" ?

Bild :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

It worked fine for me travelling to and from Geneva in Switzerland last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SemenInMyEyes

Just wondering what you guys think of this situation. Currently I am in Hungary on the passport card.

Thinking of taking the train to Belgrade for a two or three days. Now Serbia is technically outside of the EU and Schengen zone.

However it says on Wikitravel that EU citizens can use either a passport or national ID card. Now the passport card is somewhere in between. Would anyone chance getting on the train and seeing if I will be allowed in. I didn't bring actual passport. Forgot it but this wasn't originally planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Just wondering what you guys think of this situation. Currently I am in Hungary on the passport card.

Thinking of taking the train to Belgrade for a two or three days. Now Serbia is technically outside of the EU and Schengen zone.

However it says on Wikitravel that EU citizens can use either a passport or national ID card. Now the passport card is somewhere in between. Would anyone chance getting on the train and seeing if I will be allowed in. I didn't bring actual passport. Forgot it but this wasn't originally planned.

Great username.

I think this is pretty black and white:
    Where can I travel on the Passport Card?
    The card is valid for travel within the EU/EEA (European Economic Area) and Switzerland.

https://www.dfa.ie/passportcard/faq/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Impetus wrote: »
    And of course Ireland is not a full EU member yet - because it refuses to join Schengen. Gov.ie use the Northern Ireland excuse. Everyone entering or leaving NI on a flight or ferry has to show ID for trips to GB. The island of Ireland could join Schengen.

As I understand it, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) had to make a decision about whether to join Schengen and have expensive militarised border controls with Britain and Northern Ireland, or - since our à-la-carte-EU neighbours in Britain were too precious to join it - to stay out and have free travel with Britain and relatively free travel with the EU.

An all-Ireland Schengen membership… can't see that happening while Northern Ireland is still part of Britain, though the DFA may look at Schengen again when Brexit happens, since the political situation will have radically changed and Ireland will be targeting Europe more than Britain for exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SemenInMyEyes

I dunno. I reckon it could work in a country like Serbia which recognises all other Eu member ID cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

The passport card is a passport - it says so on the second line. It is RFID equipped and has machine readable data on the reverse side. The only reason why it might be a problem is in police states (eg USA) where a visa or other document has to be stapled or rubber stamped to the document.

The card presents itself to an ID document reader in the same way as a paper passport, allowing a border "agent" to verify your identity and check your ID against whatever wanted people list the country has. Also Serbia is an applicant to join the EU. I don't think it would give Serbia any bonus points if they refused to accept EU ID cards, by whatever name they are called. It would cause chaos at border crossings, as most people don't bring (or even have) passports.

The main difference between an Irish passport card and a normal ID card is that it does not have the card holder's address on the reverse side. It also does not have a chip and PIN to electronically sign contracts online, or wherever. And the absence of the address forces people to supply "utility bills" to prove their address instead. Which is nuts given that few utilities send out bills in the post anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

The passport card is a passport - it says so on the second line. It is RFID equipped and has machine readable data on the reverse side. The only reason why it might be a problem is in police states (eg USA) where a visa or other document has to be stapled or rubber stamped to the document.

The card presents itself to an ID document reader in the same way as a paper passport, allowing a border "agent" to verify your identity and check your ID against whatever wanted people list the country has. Also Serbia is an applicant to join the EU. I don't think it would give Serbia any bonus points if they refused to accept EU ID cards, by whatever name they are called. It would cause chaos at border crossings, as most people don't bring (or even have) passports.

The main difference between an Irish passport card and a normal ID card is that it does not have the card holder's address on the reverse side. It also does not have a chip and PIN to electronically sign contracts online, or wherever. And the absence of the address forces people to supply "utility bills" to prove their address instead. Which is nuts given that few utilities send out bills in the post anymore.

Dutch ID Card doesn't have the persons address on it either, just the issuing authority. Nor does it have a chip/pin (newer cards have NFC)

You don't sign documents with your ID Card either, you use your Digital Identity (DigiD) this isn't linked to your Identity documents, it's linked to your registration with the Local City Hall.

Why would they need your address ? This is nothing to do with your Nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

redcup342 wrote: »
    Dutch ID Card doesn't have the persons address on it either, just the issuing authority. Nor does it have a chip/pin (newer cards have NFC)

You don't sign documents with your ID Card either, you use your Digital Identity (DigiD) this isn't linked to your Identity documents, it's linked to your registration with the Local City Hall.

Why would they need your address ? This is nothing to do with your Nationality.

The border control system does not need your address. But if you are opening a bank account or arranging for something to be delivered in say a retail store, it is just as easy to give them the ID card from your wallet. It has a standard format, so they don't have to hunt for the data. They spell your name and address properly.

An id card issued by CZ (which has the address on the back):

back: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ID-card_CZ_2012_b_chip.jpg
    front: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/ID-card_CZ_2012.jpg

Only some countries have got around to issuing the EU standard ID card, which usually has an RFID chip and a payment card type chip and PIN.

You don't have to be a citizen of a country to get an ID card - most civil law countries require everybody to be in possession of ID at all times. My ID card has a contact chip with two PINs - one for authentication (proving you are the person identified by the card) and one for signing documents electronically. Many countries still have old style cards, some made from cardboard and hand written. Not so long ago, the Irish passport was handwritten.

Estonia has an e-identity programme - anybody can join it online. You can use the ID to incorporate a company, open a bank account etc without even visiting Estonia. https://e-estonia.com/e-residents/about/

The border control system does not need your address. But if you are opening a bank account or arranging for something to be delivered in say a retail store, it is just as easy to give them the ID card from your wallet. It has a standard format, so they don't have to hunt for the data. They spell your name and address properly.

An id card issued by CZ (which has the address on the back):

back: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ID-card_CZ_2012_b_chip.jpg
    front: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/ID-card_CZ_2012.jpg

Only some countries have got around to issuing the EU standard ID card, which usually has an RFID chip and a payment card type chip and PIN.

You don't have to be a citizen of a country to get an ID card - most civil law countries require everybody to be in possession of ID at all times. My ID card has a contact chip with two PINs - one for authentication (proving you are the person identified by the card) and one for signing documents electronically. Many countries still have old style cards, some made from cardboard and hand written. Not so long ago, the Irish passport was handwritten.

Estonia has an e-identity programme - anybody can join it online. You can use the ID to incorporate a company, open a bank account etc without even visiting Estonia. https://e-estonia.com/e-residents/about/

Only Dutch Citizens can get a National Identity Card (same goes for Germany as well) and yes its compulsory to carry ID here.

https://www.government.nl/topics/identification-documents/contents/compulsory-identification

There's a Residents and a Non-Resident database.

Your Digital Identity is something separate and not linked to your identity card, you can use this with most public services.

https://www.digid.nl/en/

For my address though all I have to remember is 4 numbers and 2 letters in NL or 5 numbers in Germany and they pick my address from a list, so I don't really see the benefit. Actually I'd see it as more of a risk since someone has my home address and my wallet now :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's pretty nuts that 3 years later you still can't check in online with Aer Lingus using a passport card, you need to either check in at the airport or use the full passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Also annoying is the fact that the card cannot be read by the automatic machines at Dublin Airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yep, so annoying. I flew here from Spain with just my card and then on the return flight out of Dublin I had problems. Went to the machines and found the machine didn't take the card. Went to the counter and while they didn't explain why the lady on the desk needed repeated attempts to check me in, I'm pretty sure it's because she had to update my info with the card number which is different from the passport.

I had my paper passport number registered with Aer Lingus and after that flight I had to change it back and now I carry my passport for Aer Lingus flights. It bothered me for a while cause I was used to flying around Europe with just the card.

Also annoying is the fact that the card cannot be read by the automatic machines at Dublin Airport!

It's a bit ridiculous that we cannot use the Cards in our own country. :mad:

I got screamed at last time by the a$$clowns working there.

What's the point in the card if it actually slows you down clearing immigration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You know it's a publicly sponsored news agency when 113 words are used to relay the news on the cards, only to use 154 words in the same article for unrelated immigration reform bill news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's a bit ridiculous that we cannot use the Cards in our own country. :mad:

I got screamed at last time by the a$$clowns working there.

What's the point in the card if it actually slows you down clearing immigration

They screamed at you for having a passport card? I highly doubt it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

biko wrote: »
    You know it's a publicly sponsored news agency when 113 words are used to relay the news on the cards, only to use 154 words in the same article for unrelated immigration reform bill news.

I better get my passport cause i'm lost on this one.

They screamed at you for having a passport card? I highly doubt it... :rolleyes:

Got screamed while in the e-gate, inserted card, was reading it for a few minutes. Some woman came over and said "CAN'T YOU READ, ARE YOU STUPID, IT SAYS PASSPORT ONLY"

Told her it said Passports and Irish passport cards on the sign up at the escalator, just got a "don't talk back at me"

Went to the Normal gate and the guy apologized for it, said the machines weren't setup yet to use the Irish Passport Cards.

Yes, screamed at. Didn't really bother with it as can't really be arsed with wasting my time on that type of person.

She also gave the same treatment to another guy that was going through the e-gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Got screamed while in the e-gate, inserted card, was reading it for a few minutes. Some woman came over and said "CAN'T YOU READ, ARE YOU STUPID, IT SAYS PASSPORT ONLY"

Told her it said Passports and Irish passport cards on the sign up at the escalator, just got a "don't talk back at me"

Went to the Normal gate and the guy apologized for it, said the machines weren't setup yet to use the Irish Passport Cards.

Yes, screamed at. Didn't really bother with it as can't really be arsed with wasting my time on that type of person.

She also gave the same treatment to another guy that was going through the e-gate.

I had a similar experience a while back. The signs all said Irish Passport Cards so I tried and no luck. The woman at the gate was very annoyed with me and told me off. I showed her the sign and she just ignored me. Most of the signs have now been changed or have the Passport Card bit blocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kenny1969

So is the card passport number the same as the paper passport booklet number, or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Don't you all know that passport cards were only introduced here for proof of age for the young wans going on the lash? There were too many passports (proof of age) being lost or stolen in pubs and on the streets that the cards were brought in so people could still use their main passport for travel if card was missing.

I wouldn't trust them for travelling back to Ireland, so it's belt and braces obviously. Passport for re entry and card for every other EU country.

Maybe things have improved since I haven't travelled abroad in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

card on its own is fine for travel within europe. card based ID cards are common there. I mostly used mine for travelling to england for work. I just kept it in my wallet so never had to worry about forgetting my passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where do people get this rubbish from?

Passport office don't care about young people drinking.

It was introduced to be in line with other EU countries and also it raises some revenue.

It works fine in all EU countries and also coming back to Ireland, no need for large passport for EU travel which is a great convenience.

My only gripe is that the normal passport is valid for 10 years but the passport card is only for 5.

Advertisement