Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Elliott

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

From the horses point of view, that would be a good thing!

Thoroughbred horses probably enjoy a better quality of life than many humans do in certain parts of the world. A keen horse will be raring to go when he gets to the racetrack, its what they are bred and trained to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

Only a small percentage make it to the racecourse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭celt262

Augme wrote: »
    Good to see Elliot finally hired a few professional PR people to look after him.

Looks like they will be doing lots of overtime !

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭leko99

Theres a cattle prod video and a video of a jockey at another yard on a dead horse in circulation.

Apart from the photo is it the fact that Elliot built his yard and his success from scratch that bothers you. As for the O,learys , if it wasn't for the like of them and Jp and Barry Connell there wouldn't be a horse racing industry.

There was no horse racing before Michael O'Leary. Jesus I've heard it all now.

• Advertisement

There was no horse racing before Michael O'Leary. Jesus I've heard it all now.

I take it English isn't your first language otherwise you would have understood my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Elliott comments to Racing Post:

“It is indefensible. Whether alive or dead, the horse was entitled to dignity. A moment of madness that I am going to have to spend the rest of my life paying for and that my staff are suffering for.
    "

Boo hoo, woe is me. I used to be a street urchin and I dreamed of one day sitting on a dead horse and getting my picture taken and sending it to friends for a laugh, someone sent it around and now I feel like a victim, I love horses.

Your mate Gordie xxx

The video doing the rounds is worse. Be prepared for a **** storm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Disgusting video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

leko99 wrote: »
    The RJ video doing the rounds is worse. Be prepared for a **** storm

Who’s

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Are initials? Don’t recognise him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Mod Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

A disgusting looking picture, indefensible really. Sanctions for it, who knows but according to some the Cheveley horses are already signed off to De Bromhead and GE has told owners he expects to lose his licence for a certain amount of time not specified.

That second video is absolutely shocking altogether and it actually shows them physically hopping on and laughing. I genuinely hoped that the GE pic was just one of those moments where someone took a pic at the complete wrong time but all that was washed away with his terrible PR reply last night.

A rough time awaits the sport these next few weeks as God only knows what pics and vids will surface.

Clique wrote: »
    A disgusting looking picture, indefensible really. Sanctions for it, who knows but according to some the Cheveley horses are already signed off to De Bromhead and GE has told owners he expects to lose his licence for a certain amount of time not specified.

That second video is absolutely shocking altogether and it actually shows them physically hopping on and laughing. I genuinely hoped that the GE pic was just one of those moments where someone took a pic at the complete wrong time but all that was washed away with his terrible PR reply last night.

A rough time awaits the sport these next few weeks as God only knows what pics and vids will surface.
    There is a video of GE using a cattle prod on a horse. When it gets shared its game over completely for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

I’m not sure if it’s just some pleb jumping on the bandwagon who released that new video but you’d hope that it’s not going to turn into a free for all.

Racing will be left reeling if this becomes a trend. I’m sure that there’s plenty enough gob****es out there who have been misbehaving to keep Twitter going for enough time to permanently damage the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Clique wrote: »

Well he can always apply for the bar licence if he loses the horse one for a while,

Mod snip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

what about the poor people sleeping on the streets of dublin ,
    nothing thought of humans been pissed by our state.
    I be more worried about the dying citizen than making a big story out of a dead horse .
    at this stage get over it .

kerry cow wrote: »
    I be more worried about the dying citizen than making a big story out of a dead horse .

Wrong forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

kerry cow wrote: »

Is that you Gordon?

Disgusting behavioir and you're just as bad as him with a response like that. Get off this forum. You're not welcome here. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Panrich wrote: »
    I’m not sure if it’s just some pleb jumping on the bandwagon who released that new video but you’d hope that it’s not going to turn into a free for all.

Racing will be left reeling if this becomes a trend. I’m sure that there’s plenty enough gob****es out there who have been misbehaving to keep Twitter going for enough time to permanently damage the industry.

That wouldn't be twitters fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Warned for calling it as I see it. More useless moderating just like in other forums on this site. What a joke of a website this has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Wtf is going on? Seems someone or more than one person is out to ruin racing & not just a certain trainer now. I’m absolutely disgusted, I grew up with this sport & I really do feel like this is the beginning of the end. The excitement of two weeks time is draining. In saying that, those photos & videos should be released so we know just what those individuals really are like. Just hope it doesn’t ruin the decent ones in the game from doing what they love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So basically you have6a clue what's happening lol

Hi Gordon.

And yes, I do have a clue whats happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Anniepowaaa

EICVD wrote: »
    Wtf is going on? Seems someone or more than one person is out to ruin racing & not just a certain trainer now. I’m absolutely disgusted, I grew up with this sport & I really do feel like this is the beginning of the end. The excitement of two weeks time is draining. In saying that, those photos & videos should be released so we know just what those individuals really are like. Just hope it doesn’t ruin the decent ones in the game from doing what they love.
    get a grip there's weeds in all walks of life and the sooner there removed the better for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is a video of GE using a cattle prod on a horse. When it gets shared its game over completely for him.

Aren't prods illegal now?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Aren't prods illegal now?
    Nah, sure aren't we all just Christians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

shocksy wrote: »
    Is that you Gordon?

Disgusting behavioir and you're just as bad as him with a response like that. Get off this forum. You're not welcome here. :mad::mad::mad:

If this is 'your' forum and you participate in the racing industry in any way then what right do you really have to call out others on such issues?

i don't get the expectation for people involved in any industry that exploits animals for profit to be saintly. it's not the abuse or exploitation of animals that upsets you if you are a participant in horse racing industry; what offends you is having to see it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Mod Note

I’m aware of a video now doing the rounds on social media. Please do not post the name of who you think it is or may well be or where the video was potentially taken. Thanks

flos1964 wrote: »

Of thoroughbred horses ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

69.4% is the small percentage that started of 399,121 foals, 1987-1996 for USA, Europe, Japan
    (Jockey Club Information Systems database, published in the Thoroughbred Times, quoted in the book Racehorse Breeding Theories by Frank Mitchell).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

get a grip there's weeds in all walks of life and the sooner there removed the better for all

I’ve pretty much said in that post get the weeds out FFS

69.4% is the small percentage that started of 399,121 foals, 1987-1996 for USA, Europe, Japan
    (Jockey Club Information Systems database, published in the Thoroughbred Times, quoted in the book Racehorse Breeding Theories by Frank Mitchell).

Sorry i was mistaking it with winners...apologies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Sorry i was mistaking it with winners...apologies...

The stat is a few years old now but I can’t see there being much variance in it but only 3% of horses that make it to the track actually win a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That can't be right. It would suggest 33 runners per race minimum.

3% of horses might win a race, not 3% of horses that make it to the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

D9Male wrote: »
    That can't be right. It would suggest 33 runners per race minimum.

3% of horses might win a race, not 3% of horses that make it to the track.
    Holymudderagod, maybe you can avail of special covid rates for a maths grind.

Motivator wrote: »
    The stat is a few years old now but I can’t see there being much variance in it but only 3% of horses that make it to the track actually win a race.
    Winners/Foals 46.1%; Winners/Starters 66.4%
    399,121 foals, 1987-1996 for USA, Europe, Japan

You might think the Winners/Starters figure of two winners out of every three starters is high, but think about it.
    If a starter does not win its first race, a maiden race, he/she will not meet the horse that won that race in another maiden as the winner is no longer a maiden.
    The losers are still maidens, and they will take part in another maiden race.
    Towards the end of the year many of the maiden races will be filled with maidens who have failed four or five times.
    A horse with any ability should probably be able to beat habitual losers.

• Advertisement

Winners/Foals 46.1%; Winners/Starters 66.4%
    399,121 foals, 1987-1996 for USA, Europe, Japan

Did not think it was even close to that...thank you.

its all over the British media this morning, along with the latest video. I'm delighted this is getting the coverage it needs. Gordon Elliotts name will be synonymous with these photos forever! One was him atop a dead horse, another one of his jockeys atop a dead horse. Despicable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭robbiezero

its all over the British media this morning, along with the latest video. I'm delighted this is getting the coverage it needs. Gordon Elliotts name will be synonymous with these photos forever! One was him atop a dead horse, another one of his jockeys atop a dead horse. Despicable stuff.

Not his jockey in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Holymudderagod, maybe you can avail of special covid rates for a maths grind.

Bear with me so, Stephen Hawkins....

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2021/0129/1193857-hri-publishes-statistics-for-2020/

In 2020, there were 7,392 individual horses to race in Ireland. And there were 1,855 individual winners. This means that 25% of horses to see the track last year won. Now these stats are for one year (not a lifetime), but I would estimate the actual figure is not far from 25%, and certainly not as low as 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JK2503

The pictures are in poor taste and shows a lack of judgement, there is no suggestion that Gordon Elliot was ever cruel to an animal. This however is not the verdict of the trial by social media. I wish some people would show as much compassion for the rest of the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I have a feeling this could end badly if people don’t relax with the hatred being spread online. If it is Rob James in the video, his career is finished and to be honest that’s punishment enough for him. We’re all well aware of the mental fragilities of jockeys in Ireland and that would now be a concern if he keeps getting hammered and his name dragged through the domestic and international media.

What he did was absolutely unbelievable and he deserves whatever punishment is coming his way, the only punishment I see fit is that he’s banned effective immediately but some of the stuff on twitter about him is madness. He’s finished in the industry, leave it at that. We don’t need a tragedy on top of all this as a consequence of Twitter and the media pushing someone to the brink.

Lets be honest, if no one said anything online it would just be swept under the carpet. Of course people are angry. The "mental health" flag gets waved far too much and is used as a shield to hide behind. It's ridiculous. There is a difference between abuse and robust criticism, but some try and conflate the two to prevent the latter. We have seen this recently with your woman Bailey.

There is nothing to suggest that any of the highlighted actions were the product of someone suffering from mental illness. I'm sorry, but "I got caught and feel bad about being criticized for actions that deserve criticism, so stop criticizing" doesn't fly with me.

Abuse is different, as I said, so that should stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Those lads should never be allowed near horses again. Disgusting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement