Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is the next an fainne meeting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

Thaed wrote:
    Look forward to meeting you so.
    Great! Likewise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sugardaddy

thanx neilj.do u think that i should read some books on paganism before going to a moot or not?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ah, I'm sure it'd do you no harm to have a general idea before entering the general meeting, but then, its not a requirement I am sure.

You said "i badly need hands on help and i was wondering when the next an fainne meeting would be?", I think maybe it is important to point out the meeting has a topic, its "legends of our lands" as far as I know, but I am sure you can get some help there as well.

Neil J, thats a great tip in general. I just finished reading Lora O'Briens book "Irish Witchcraft from an Irish Witch" and I thought it was fantastic, and it has left me with an urge to read more, which is fantastic. So I might just do as you've suggested as well!! Being a student bum makes if difficult to buy books.

Arrietty, glad there is someone else going who shant be intimidated, tis not very often you meet people who are chatty with strangers!

Looking forward to this more and more now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Moots are public, open meetings. The only requirement is that you act with respect to the other attendees, pay your part of the cost of hiring the room, and generally not be an asshole.

Some moots prefer people not to drink before hand, but the An Fáinne moot has no such rule, indeed most of us will be found having a quick one in the bar beforehand. Obviously, getting drunk is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Jesjes wrote:
    Neil J, thats a great tip in general. I just finished reading Lora O'Briens book "Irish Witchcraft from an Irish Witch" and I thought it was fantastic, and it has left me with an urge to read more, which is fantastic.
    Lora's book is one of the best new books on Witchcraft or Paganism that I've seen, and heartily recommened.

To my mind it highlights what's wrong with a lot of recent Pagan writing by not following what has become a formula. Unlike a lot of recent stuff it doesn't make impressive claims about the author's experience (quite the opposite, she modestly distances herself from some of the stuff she's done that isn't what she does now), doesn't claim to speak for more people than she does, backs up the factual stuff with proper references and is frank and open (at a couple of points, movingly so) about the personal stuff, and keeps opinion and personal experience properly separate from research and scholarship.

Really, it's what a beginner-accessible book on Craft should be, and sadly so often isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

As Jes said the moots are topic based. Therefore if you go you will mainly be hearing stuff about the topic of the month, this months being Legends of the Land. But you would still pick up stuff about general Paganism at each moot, however it would tend to be in the context of the topic being discussed. Over time you will certainly learn a fair bit. To be honest though it's really up to you whether you go or not. It would definetly be easier to follow the flow of conversation by way of terminology used if you already knew a bit. That being said if you didn't understand what someone was saying there is no harm in asking. One thing that is not tolerated however is specific questions directed at one individual at the moot, a "What do YOU believe?" type of question as opposed to general questions thrown out for anyone to answer. But if you do go you may well meet someone who is perpared to maybe teach you somethings or at the very least recommend people or books to try. So as I said it's really up to you as to whether you go tommorrow or try reading a bit and continuing to chat to people and maybe go in a few months when you feel you know a bit more about Paganism in general.

Neil

thanx i might do that i think id like to read up on paganism more before going to a moot and im a bit low on funds and so im out of an excuse to tell my parents where im going so im going to leave it to next month thanx.sorry to let u down like this

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

I wouldn't worry about it. Take it as a sign. I knew about the moots for about a year before I finally went. Good luck book hunting and a last bit of advice. Don't take the first thing you read as gospel and read, read, read. The more you do the easier it is to spot the bu**$&!t from the not so bu**$&!t :rolleyes:

Good Luck,
    Neil

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'd offer to lend you my copy of "Irish Witchcraft from an Irish Witch" Sugardaddy, but its a signed copy to me personally,so not a hope I am letting it go.

Yeah, I'd agree with you Talliesin with what you said. I was really moved by some of the stuff and very impressed with other things. For example talking about the Irish language, when she says [paraphrased] how "it is rude and ignorant at best to talk to the gods in the language of their oppresors". And to at least have respect for them and learn a few words. A lot of strong words alright. I also liked her take on the stages of life as I kind of had something very similar to what she suggests, entirely by coincidence.

thanx jesjes but thsts okay ,do u mind telling me what was the first thing u did when u were starting off ?lie did u just go out and get books on witchcraft and that or did u have the help of somebody,right now im trying to find outt what should be my first step to take and ill try to do that as soon as possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

read, read and read some more, then go back and read what you have already read with the new stuff you have figured out/learned.

Well Sugardaddy,

I didn't really get into it myself, more I grew up around it, in a way. I started on my own path at about 16 by taking part in activities that I knew were happening. I had a general knowledge from talking to people and from watching a lot, and learning from that.

One the first books I ever came into contact with was a crock of *shíte*. My cousin had it and was proclaiming herself to be a witch and doing spells and stuff. I didn't tell her I was on the same path [pagan, not wiccan/witch] because she obviously wasn't really tehre at all.

Reading, online or books is good. Watching and learning is great. It all sinks in really.

Thaed, seeing as I aint meeting the lads before the meeting, I'm free so expect me to meet you as soon as ya get into town! :)

Best of luck with your reading and such Sugardaddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The moot went well last night, not that many people there as other evenings
    but it is july and people have plans and lives apparently. :)

rcunning03 it was nice to meet you and put a face to the poster,
    hopefully we will get to talk more another time.

Jesjes nice to meet you at last.

The topic for the next moots is Lughnasa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

Thaed wrote:
    Grrr I wanted to go... last minute I couldn't, because of work commitments. Frustrating. Ah well, these things happen. :)

Thaed wrote:
    I'll be there. I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Thaed wrote:

rcunning03 it was nice to meet you and put a face to the poster,
    hopefully we will get to talk more another time.

Jesjes nice to meet you at last.

:)

Advertisement