Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2017, 19:09   #61
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11 View Post
Hmmm....round about the same time the spectrum next is due out. Let the 8-Bit wars recommence!!
Well the Spectrum Next piddles all over the C64 mini, but it does cost more. Being Fpga the Next does a million and a one things more than the mini which is a glorified emulator. The Next could even be a C64 if it wanted. I know some people like brown n blocky

So no contest with those two
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-10-2017, 20:46   #62
Firefox11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mann Centuria View Post
Well the Spectrum Next piddles all over the C64 mini, but it does cost more. Being Fpga the Next does a million and a one things more than the mini which is a glorified emulator. The Next could even be a C64 if it wanted. I know some people like brown n blocky

So no contest with those two
There was a kickstarter update on the Next today too. Board only version is shipping on the 27th Nov.
Thanks from:
16-10-2017, 20:52   #63
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11 View Post
There was a kickstarter update on the Next today too. Board only version is shipping on the 27th Nov.
Yeah, exciting, I still have to wait for (hopefully) January for mine, but I am looking forward to seeing what people do with their boards.
Thanks from:
16-10-2017, 21:02   #64
TinCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Daley View Post
Would like to get my hands on the soft aid tape again. Hope someone gets this out soon. Playing falcon patrol, gumshoe, gilligans gold and the others in 2018. Sweet as a nut.
I had that back in the day. Great memories.
16-10-2017, 21:06   #65
TinCool

Just preordered on Amazon just in time for my birthday in february !
Advertisement
17-10-2017, 08:15   #66
The Last Bandit

You do all know that this C64mini is by the same guys who have yet to ship there last crowdfunded project ? In fact there are doing this one to raise (more) funds to finish the other projects, so I don't have much faith in them.
Thanks from:
17-10-2017, 08:39   #67
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

I'll be waiting for it's release to see if it's

1: An actual thing that'll make it to retail
and
B: Worth buying when I have a C64 already.
17-10-2017, 09:59   #68
Los Lobos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
You do all know that this C64mini is by the same guys who have yet to ship there last crowdfunded project ? In fact there are doing this one to raise (more) funds to finish the other projects, so I don't have much faith in them.
I actually funded that project, looking for the handheld version. At any time I could have looked for my money back, but decided to wait and see where this would end up.

The story now is that the Handheld may never happen, but as it stands I'm looking to receive, as per their e-mails:

Anyone who backed the handheld version or pre-ordered it prior to today will instead be given both THEC64 MINI and a full-size THEC64 plus bonus goodies.
This means that you’ll be getting:
  • A special limited edition THEC64 MINI package, as described above
  • PLUS a full sized THEC64
  • PLUS a signed and numbered, limited edition print of the commissioned artwork by David Rowe
PLUS the promise that when we are able to focus on the handheld, you’ll get a significant discount if you decide to purchase one on release.

It's over a year and a half of waiting, so I'm going to just write off what I paid and hope they come through with something at this stage, although I really wanted the handheld!
17-10-2017, 15:16   #69
Tom Mann Centuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
I don't completely trust any one from the Vega + debacle, but the truth is Paul Andrews and Chris Smith were part of the team that released the (underwhelming imo but pretty much exact same idea as C64 mini) Sinclair Vega successfully and jumped ship very early on in the Vega Plus story and are no longer involved, unless you consider legal action from both sides and bitching in social media involved

So whilst I don't rate them too highly either, they have finished a project before and sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
I'll be waiting for it's release to see if it's

1: An actual thing that'll make it to retail
and
B: Worth buying when I have a C64 already.
1: Probably
B: I'd say absolutely not.

Last edited by Tom Mann Centuria; 17-10-2017 at 15:19.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-10-2017, 15:20   #70
Amalgam

Who wants an Oric 48K mini!!!? (sound of crickets)

Aww.. Puts tapes back in attic.
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2017, 19:21   #71
ThisRegard

I can't see it having any sort of mass appeal or success at all. These things live on their software, and as much as I loved my C64 at the time, I don't think the games stand the test of time at all.
24-10-2017, 19:31   #72
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisRegard View Post
I can't see it having any sort of mass appeal or success at all. These things live on their software, and as much as I loved my C64 at the time, I don't think the games stand the test of time at all.
Having revisited a lot of classic games over the years, including the 8bit stuff and earlier, you'd be surprised how good some titles remain, even with all the advancements in tech in the intervening years.
Case and point is Uridium, it remains a classic shooter, with an original approach to the genre and one that was never replicated outside of sequels and remakes, both authorised and not.
Looking through the games list, there's plenty that stand up in a similar way, and the list begs to be played through.
Of course, if you have a PC or a RPi you can already play these without the outlay, but that's not the point.
Here you can buy official hardware in a nice format.
I'm not sure I'll be buying it, I was a Speccy nut rather than a C64 fan and I have the original computer so I'd be more likely to invest in a flash cart of some description instead, play them on original hardware.
But, to those that don't have a C64 tucked away and enjoyed the games the first time around, I think there's plenty to look forward to with this device.
Thanks from:
25-10-2017, 00:11   #73
eamo22

Just got email from Amazon and launch date pushed till April
26-10-2017, 20:38   #74
Firefox11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisRegard View Post
Thats true however we are seeing a rebirth of some of the old developers of the day like Thalamus releasing updated titles like their Hunter's Moon kickstarter. They are going to be doing games for the spectrum next too.

(3) thanks from:
13-01-2018, 07:42   #75
Tom Mann Centuria

Few production photos of the device here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f3IKUuJ9Gu2RewOy2
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion