Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Hume RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

Rip John. A statesman if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

One of ireland's finest ever citizens and politicians.

Sacrificed his own party to bring Sinn Féin into mainstream politics.

A man who put peace ahead of any personal ambition.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

A truly wonderful man and an example to us all. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

For whatever reason, I had it in my head he had passed away a few years ago.

A man who brought all of his body, mind and spirit in the pursuit of peace during a traumatic and unforgiving time in Irish and British history. Requiesce in pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,091 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RIP John. A brave man who made a valuable contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 15,052 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Greatest Irish person of my life time.

Saw him give a lecture at Maynooth University in April 1994, just as the ceasefire was coming together.
    He was brilliant.

An outstanding brave man, the whole island owes him a huge debt of gratitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

RIP. A giant of NI politics, and a man of real vision, bravery and integrity, central to so much of the progress that has been made.

_92068200_pix_for_disc_from_february_1998_john_hume_in_derry.jpg

A good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Definitely one of the most significant figures in our lifetime who worked tirelessly for peace and deserves huge respect from everyone R I P and thank you for all you have done .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭gifted

RIP... Worked tirelessly for peace. Always thought he would have made a great President if he went for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Rip. He has left a wonderful legacy.

If there was a more influential advocate for peace I've never heard of him. He leaves behind an unparalleled legacy as a statesman. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I'm desperately sorry to hear of the passing of a true giant of our times. I was lucky to meet him a couple of times and he was a wonderful human being. His characteristics of vision, honesty, integrity, selflessness and bravery, amongst many others, marked him out as being what a politician should be but so rarely is.

He provided leadership when we in the North were desperate for it, through the darkest of hours and at a tme when such leadership carried the threat of a violent death.

I mourn this morning the passing of a truly great Irishman.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Now, THAT'S how you do patriotism. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

The most important person of Irish politics in our generation. He put peace ahead of his own party he founded to bring Sinn Fein in from the cold.

Ar dheis de go raibh a anam.

I heard about his death in a text message from a non Irish person this morning, just to say he represented a voice of peace and reconciliation that echoes far beyond this island.

His commitment to peace was unflinching, he saw terrible injustice; he never believed the answer lay in armed conflict.

He was, perhaps, the greatest statesman this country has seen since the Civil War.

RiP

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Sad news the man was a hero proved violence isn't alway the answer he did more for nationalism and the Irish cause than many others with words and wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You can’t eat a flag.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

RIP.
    Lots of people alive today thanks to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was a great man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

A giant among men . RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I'm not in the habit of praising politicians but Hume was the exception. Somebody who could represent the aspirations and (many) grievances of Irish people in the north without resorting to the nihilism of violence.

The provos taunted him, and his supporters, with the playground sneer of the Stoop Down Low Party (SDLP), in much the same manner as rabid Brexiteers in Britain denounced their opponents as traitors and enemies of the people. Aithníonn cíaróg, cíaróg eile.

In fact he was a giant, in the moral, intellectual and figurative sense of the word. He deserves a huge send off. Covid restrictions will probably curtail them significantly.

Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís. Is mór an trua.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

RIP John.

Did amazing work to help bring about peace on this island. Even sacrificed his own party to do it.

History will be kind to him

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RIP to one of Irelands greatest ever politicians.

V.poorly with along while it seems

RIP

should never have been made share that nobel peace prize with trimble,deserved his own

• Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP

Condolences to his family.

RIP John Hume

Thank you for all you done in the name of peace. You truly are one of the most important people of the 20th Century (and beyond).

• Advertisement

Advertisement