Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Hume RIP

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

leahyl wrote: »
    In bits here, Phil Coulter playing "The Town I Loved So Well" on the keyboard :(

One of my favourite stories about Hume was his creation of the Derry Credit Union using his own money. The Undertones applied to that Credit Union for a £400 loan to record Teenage Kicks. I know it’s extremely minor in terms of his overall contribution to Irish life, but it just resonated with me as it’s such a perfect little pop song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

One of my favourite stories about Hume was his creation of the Derry Credit Union using his own money. The Undertones applied to that Credit Union for a £400 loan to record Teenage Kicks. I know it’s extremely minor in terms of his overall contribution to Irish life, but it just resonated with me as it’s such a perfect little pop song.

Undertones story almost too good to be true but it is. Also think Undertones drummer borrowed to buy a kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Great story. Reminds me of one of the most fondly watched films of all time staring James Stewart. George Bailey (the character played by Stewart) manages a town’s (type of) credit union to provide low interest rate funds to the townsfolk. Bailey sacrifices his own plans and dreams to keep the business going for the welfare of others. The name of that film? It’s a Wonderful Life. How appropriate is that for John Hume? A wonderful man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Never a truer word said.
    With this in mind, according to Tommy Gorman, one of his sons won't be at the funeral for this reason.
    A very dignified funeral. Thats how decent people behave not like the scumbag carnival a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Edgware wrote: »
    A very dignified funeral. Thats how decent people behave not like the scumbag carnival a few weeks ago

That’s the best description I’ve heard of that sham. MO’N posing for selfies in the graveyard like a Z list pop star with 2 thugs and insisting afterwards that social distancing was observed summed it all up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Not the time or place for mudslinging about how anyone else handled their mourning process. A great man has been laid to rest let's leave it at that and continue to celebrate his vast contribution to Irish society as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Having a few days holiday up the north this week with my family sitting outside the hotel now having a few drinks in the city centre of Belfast

Last time I was here was the early 90's and I certainly would not be doing the same

Thank you John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Having a few days holiday up the north this week with my family sitting outside the hotel now having a few drinks in the city centre of Belfast

Last time I was here was the early 90's and I certainly would not be doing the same

Thank you John
    Pop up the Shankill and see how you get on with the Rangers crew

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Seems like Trimble is still sore over the Hume/Adams talks seeing them as an attempt to bypass democracy. Hume had no alternative but to enter into talks with Adams in the pursuit of peace. So Trimble is talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rip to Hume

Trimble co winning a noble prize for peace lol. Hatred in that man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Rip to Hume

Trimble co winning a noble prize for peace lol. Hatred in that man
    And he was a moderate unionist. I wonder how the apprentice boys are getting on? Does anyone know if they have qualified yet? Sad circumstances that Mr Hume could not have the send off he deserved, but no surprise that himself and his family would act in the best interests of people, and observe the guidelines as they are now, as many others have said, in direct contrast to the other shower, who think they wrote the book on patriotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

I haven't seen the inside of a church in over 30 years but watched John Hume's funeral online from start to finish today. He has to be the greatest Irishman since Daniel O'Connell.

We down south should now really understand the discrimination our Northern Irishmen/women had to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

maebee wrote: »
    I haven't seen the inside of a church in over 30 years but watched John Hume's funeral online from start to finish today. He has to be the greatest Irishman since Daniel O'Connell.

We down south should now really understand the discrimination our Northern Irishmen/women had to endure.

By coincidence they were both buried on the same date.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

batman75 wrote: »
    Seems like Trimble is still sore over the Hume/Adams talks seeing them as an attempt to bypass democracy. Hume had no alternative but to enter into talks with Adams in the pursuit of peace. So Trimble is talking nonsense.

Trimble seemed to get on better with Seamus Mallon. It is a bit rich of him to be sore about Hume talking to Adams, considering he was very happy to hold Ian's hand and march with him at the site of that contentious parade which was a lvf stronghold. No doubt he would justify it as having no choice because of internal and external political pressure on him.

Therefore he should be wise enough and generous enough to see why Hume had to talk to Adams, despite the great personal cost to him and his family for doing so.
    I'm sure the likes of Eoghan Harris will acknowledge this in his weekend article, and apologise accordingly. It's more likely the Healy Raes will announce they are joining the Green Party before that happens.

Advertisement