Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine rejecting a 600k house

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

cgcsb wrote: »
    Where do all the classist loons want the nurses teachers and gardaí to live? Or would they rather raise their incomes through taxation to the point that they can purchase that €600k house. There is of course an expectation that the state can produce perfectly good housing at lower cost than that, but right wing ideology being so pervasive in this country of late it seems that even social housing is being privitised, at high public cost, to the charity industry.

Also build to rent and property investors coupled with state aided developers play a major role in driving low paid workers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Exactly but it's €21 not €19. The primary earner is given a €32 credit before any assessment is done, then they pay 15% of their total income plus €21 per additional sub tenant.

So take Decco and Angela who do fcuk all and are both on Jobseekers Allowance for the past 20 years.

Decco - €203 -€32 = 171 x .15% = €25.65
    Angela - €21 contribution.

So total cost - €25.65 + €21= €46.65 rent PW. There might be a boiler charge of €3 per week so that's €49.65 per week total. If they live in a house then it's their responsibility for their household waste but if they reside in a flat complex it's usually €4 per week.

A neighbour of mine pays €28.65 per week for a 2 bed house in Cabra and hes's the only one residing there. While a friend of mine works her ass off and pays €600 for a room in some ****ty apartment complex.

The system needs a complete overhaul.

Thank you for the clarification, I knew my info was slightly out, but wasn't sure where.

Unfortunately, you do get chancers and scroungers, I know some personally, as my area would have been primarily Social, and still has a significant amount of social houses.

It doesn't seem fair, and at times isn't fair. The councils have been trying to improve things through the years for subsequent applications, but for anyone who is already a tenant, there is little the council can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Exactly but it's €21 not €19. The primary earner is given a €32 credit before any assessment is done, then they pay 15% of their total income plus €21 per additional sub tenant.

So take Decco and Angela who do fcuk all and are both on Jobseekers Allowance for the past 20 years.

Decco - €203 -€32 = 171 x .15% = €25.65
    Angela - €21 contribution.

So total cost - €25.65 + €21= €46.65 rent PW. There might be a boiler charge of €3 per week so that's €49.65 per week total. If they live in a house then it's their responsibility for their household waste but if they reside in a flat complex it's usually €4 per week.

A neighbour of mine pays €28.65 per week for a 2 bed house in Cabra and hes's the only one residing there. While a friend of mine works her ass off and pays €600 for a room in some ****ty apartment complex.

The system needs a complete overhaul.

those in employment only or in employment with some welfare should be the only ones allowed be eligible for city and commuter town locations for social housing. those only on welfare should be spread out across the country to rejuvenate rural Ireland and keep their kids away from issues like gang and drug activities which plague cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Decco and Angela.

Worra bow Jacinta?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Edgware wrote: »
    Decco and Angela.

Worra bow Jacinta?

Jacinta hasn't had her baby for an unknown da yet. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So the unemployment rate pre coronavirus was 5%, the lowest you'll get in Europe is about 3% (Switzerland). The 'problem' that people are highlighting is a tiny to non existent problem. The real problem is we've a generation of 30 somethings unable to house themselves with government divesting it's self from housing and handing housing policy over to multi nationals, the charity sector and their heavily subsidised HAP landlord chums. There is also a MASSIVE and GROWING deficit of social housing, which is essential for low and middle earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I don't know if I believe it or not but why the hell would we build social housing in portmarnock.

We would build social housing in Portmarnock / Malahide / Skerries / Clontarf etc. so that social housing is spread around fairly, rather than dumping it all in one area - thereby wrecking that area. About time too. The people who make these decisions generally have lived in the nicer areas, up to now they've done their best to keep their own property values high, by sacrificing those in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The theory being that it will cause social housing tenants to improve their act, keep their houses tidy, no cars on concrete blocks in the front garden and aspire to a higher standard of living. Good luck with that

That just does not happen, cant teach an old dog, new tricks.

My estate in Fingal was a new build back in the mid Noughties, 25 to 30 % for social housing, now you just have to look at the social housing properties, they are an eyesore, whereas owner occupier properties are well maintained, painted, flower boxes outside,no rubbish left outside .

600k for a social housing property in Portmarnock, I find this figure hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I don't believe in bad areas. There a ****e bags in all areas, sadly some ****e bags take the piss and get away with it as seemingly no body can do anything about it and it escalates, throw 5/6 of these families in one spot and you've trouble they cannot be sorted. Not even the court system, so until said ****e bags are taken to task and other neighbors allowed to have a peaceful life you may see normally come to said 'no go areas'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

MFPM wrote: »
    It used to be like that but it was changed in the 80s as the Irish gov followed Thatcher's lead of allowing people buy out their houses. That led to the situation we have today because the social housing stock was diminished wasn't replaced in sufficient numbers.

Many people in countries like Germany rent all their life and it's perfectly fine.

Massive asset inequality in Germany though due to things like this so it's not a rosy left wing alternative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

Imagine being gullible enough to believe the op 600k hahaha

well the council wouldn't have told the tenant and probably doesn't know themselves what the house would hypothetically fetch on the private market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Life can appear to be unfair sometimes.

My only gripe would be that those who are fortunate enough to acquire social housing be under orders to keep it neat and clean and not engage in anti social behaviour, or you're out.

Most care for their properties and don't engage in anti social behaviour, but many do, and it can really bring down a decent neighbourhood in the mixed schemes. That's all I want, actions should have consequences.

My only gripe would be that those who are fortunate enough to acquire social housing be under orders to keep it neat and clean and not engage in anti social behaviour, or you're out.

Most care for their properties and don't engage in anti social behaviour, but many do, and it can really bring down a decent neighbourhood in the mixed schemes. That's all I want, actions should have consequences.

If you actually dealt with the anti social issues, nobody would give a sh/te about social housing being in their area. The fact these scumbags are never, ever dealt with is why people want to be nowhere near social housing, and the mere mention of it drops your house value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

And in misguided attempts to 'correct' this, we have made it unfairer still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If you actually dealt with the anti social issues, nobody would give a sh/te about social housing being in their area. The fact these scumbags are never, ever dealt with is why people want to be nowhere near social housing, and the mere mention of it drops your house value.

Maybe if they werent scumbags and had some personal responsibility /accountability........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Putting them up in private rentals, luxury apartments in D4 and the like will learn them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

So we don't end up with black spots like we did in the past. So people can live near their jobs. So people can live near their support networks.

Live near their jobs - what a comedian

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

imme wrote: »
    Part V of the housing and planning act 2000
    I would imagine.

A nice mix of someone paying €3000 a month on a 25 year mortgage versus someone paying a rent of €40.

Welcome to Ireland indeed.

Christ! Leo rewarding the pyjama brigade alright, but the ones in them all day, not early in the morning :rolleyes:

Many working poor, robbed blind on housing, in **** situations, but we have free a rated houses in prime locations for others. You actually couldnt dream this banana republic up!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Why are we housing unemployed people in Dublin, no problem with social housing but if your unemployed you should be housed down the country where space isin't at a premium. I don't buy the close to family argument either you have all day to travel and see them if you are unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The theory being that it will cause social housing tenants to improve their act, keep their houses tidy, no cars on concrete blocks in the front garden and aspire to a higher standard of living. Good luck with that

They're paying for it, so might as well keep an eye on your investment... (every time you open your curtains in the morning!) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if you even buy into the argument that they should be allowed buy it out, they can do so at market rate!

would I get a colossal discount from renting privately, if the landlord was open to the idea of selling?! LOL! LOL!

the housing situation and tax system is FCUCKED beyond belief! Virtually no lpt, no water charges (and its not worth opening that can of worms again, unless they charge enough, to make the battle worthwhile) A marginal tax rate of fifty percent over a pittance, that even hits a portion of the working poor salary!

Introduce a council tax, paid by every resident, no exceptions! Next up, review of the optional "rent" paid for social housing :rolleyes: all medical visits minimum charge of E20... welfare xmas bonus scrapped!

Im going to suggest something mad now, the funds would go to benefit, those paying everything into the system, that get nothing back out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭MFPM

Alicano wrote: »
    Tell our CEO that :D I'm in aviation. Sold contract 10 years ago and I've been at the end point of a pay scale few a years now. 5 year pay freezes during recession etc. And now we're right back in the sh1t :)
    KAMU obviously has other factors to his life to qualify for SH. But he's working away so fair play to him.

Sounds pretty crap for you, I hope you like the job at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭MFPM

Kamu wrote: »
    Jacinta hasn't had her baby for an unknown da yet. :P

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dude89 wrote: »
    Imagine being gullible enough to believe the op 600k hahaha

What’s gullible?
    That’s what places cost in Dublin

DLRCoCo are paying 3k rent a month for some of their tenants.

Dublin City are paying about 600k for apartments on the RTE site.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    I rented for many years. Always treated it like it was my home, because it was.
    The idea it's all single mothers and chancers just doesn't add up. Likely most of us have family or ourselves started out in social housing. My local TD did. As did a Garda Sargent and school principle I know.

There is a discontinuity between the first and third sentence of your post.

There's a TD still in social housing on his salary of 100k.

Every new development you see being built at the moment will have many council
    tenants in them

Even City are in a council house :D

ted1 wrote: »
    What’s gullible?
    That’s what places cost in Dublin

DLRCoCo are paying 3k rent a month for some of their tenants.

Dublin City are paying about 600k for apartments on the RTE site.
    That's more an indication of how bad government is, paying 600k for an apartment built on a state owned site.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

I live in a council complex. The majority of people who live here work and aren’t scumbags. We are normal people and for the most part people are respectful of others around them. The biggest challenge facing people who live here is lack of education. They know no better than the council estate life and don’t aspire to own their own homes because they’ve been raised in council estates and that’s all they know.
    I can tell you they may be paying low rent but the council treat us like dirt. There was water falling from our roofs for 3 years and despite reporting it the council did nothing - turned out it was only a simple ball cock in the end. The places are riddled with damp - the windows are all broken - the glass in the windows is too heavy and weighs the windows down to the point where you cannot open them or if you get them open you can’t shut them. This is a fire hazard. Every year there are rats - the council have to be shamed in to doing something about it.
    Local people from the apartment complexes use our estate as a dumping ground as the council take away our rubbish (we pay extra on top of our rent for this). There are even people who do house clearances and come and dump the stuff in our complex. These are the respectable people that own houses or rent privately!

Not every council tenant is living in a free mansion and not every tenant is paying low rent. I’m living there and paying the same as my sisters mortgage - but I don’t get to sell up and move somewhere else - if I was to stay a council tenant I’d be stuck there for ever. I’ve recently got a really good job and am saving to buy my own place - but I’d never be able to afford the location this place is in.

What I’m trying to say is - don’t tar all council tenants with the one brush - because we are not all the same .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Sinus pain wrote: »

Not every council tenant is living in a free mansion and not every tenant is paying low rent. I’m living there and paying the same as my sisters mortgage - but I don’t get to sell up and move somewhere else - if I was to stay a council tenant I’d be stuck there for ever. I’ve recently got a really good job and am saving to buy my own place - but I’d never be able to afford the location this place is in.

You pay as much as your sisters morgage on a differential rent with your Local Authority? Complete tripe.

Advertisement