Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Glendalough 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

I brought a small backpack which I wore on the cycles but left with the bike for the runs. 2 bottles on the bike and I'd another litre in the bag along with bars and the mandatory kit, which they sell for 10euro when your signing in.
    Workee out well enough.

The runs are on rough enough ground so trail runners would be better, with the soles of normal running shoes you wouldn't really have the support from the stone and rocks your running on.

Id recommend plenty cycling and on hills as preparation, there's a few hills that are quite tough.
    Enjoyable day

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

YoTaro wrote: »
    I brought a small backpack which I wore on the cycles but left with the bike for the runs. 2 bottles on the bike and I'd another litre in the bag along with bars and the mandatory kit, which they sell for 10euro when your signing in.
    Workee out well enough.

The runs are on rough enough ground so trail runners would be better, with the soles of normal running shoes you wouldn't really have the support from the stone and rocks your running on.

Id recommend plenty cycling and on hills as preparation, there's a few hills that are quite tough.
    Enjoyable day

If you had two bottles on the bike already does it not make sense to bring the backpack with you for the run instead and leave it at the transition station for cycle? Do you have to carry the mandatory kit at all times of race with you?

Also i seen in some youtube videos each participant with a storage box. Are these given out to each participant and then kept at the bike transition stage? What do most people store in these?

Never done any cycling but bought a second hand Trek racer bike earlier the week so going to do a Run/Cycle/run this weekend to kick off the training/ The cycle will probably be just around 30km on a flat surface as just want to get use to the bike first before throwing in some inclines!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Noddy33 wrote: »
    If you had two bottles on the bike already does it not make sense to bring the backpack with you for the run instead and leave it at the transition station for cycle? Do you have to carry the mandatory kit at all times of race with you?

Also i seen in some youtube videos each participant with a storage box. Are these given out to each participant and then kept at the bike transition stage? What do most people store in these?

Never done any cycling but bought a second hand Trek racer bike earlier the week so going to do a Run/Cycle/run this weekend to kick off the training/ The cycle will probably be just around 30km on a flat surface as just want to get use to the bike first before throwing in some inclines!

No, leave the bag on the bike. Carry a run belt with the mandatory kit in it. The runs are not long, so you'll be ok with not having a drink (unless it was a very warm day)

No, leave the bag on the bike. Carry a run belt with the mandatory kit in it. The runs are not long, so you'll be ok with not having a drink (unless it was a very warm day)

Exactly, the runs aren't long enough to need to carry much. Your supposed to have the mandatory kit at all times.

There is no storage boxes, I think you may have been looking at a clip from the quest 12/ 24 hour race.

Cheers lads for the responses so far. I usually do 3 weight sessions and 2/3 cardio sessions in gym a week so said last night for cardio session that I would do 20 mins spinning bike, 20 mins run and 2,000m row session. I started off on the bike...... and now had the resistance on bike up to almost maximum to best replicate going up a steep incline and then soon as finished bike and went to go into a run on threadmill my legs cramped up straight away.............big shock to the body to be honest!!!!!!

Just highlighted the importance of getting in some heavy endurance training over the next few weeks and need to practice those heavy hill inclines on the bike. I not going to panic as know over the next 8 weeks of training i will put in two good sessions a week to support the race on the day!!

• Advertisement

Cheers lads for the responses so far. I usually do 3 weight sessions and 2/3 cardio sessions in gym a week so said last night for cardio session that I would do 20 mins spinning bike, 20 mins run and 2,000m row session. I started off on the bike...... and now had the resistance on bike up to almost maximum to best replicate going up a steep incline and then soon as finished bike and went to go into a run on threadmill my legs cramped up straight away.............big shock to the body to be honest!!!!!!

Just highlighted the importance of getting in some heavy endurance training over the next few weeks and need to practice those heavy hill inclines on the bike. I not going to panic as know over the next 8 weeks of training i will put in two good sessions a week to support the race on the day!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/515229746/overview

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/copy/1495795039/

If you do a search you'll find the route on Strava or other sites such as the links above. You should be able to find and get an idea of the elevations involved.
    No excuses then!!

It's mostly about the bike I think.
    The majority end up walking the uphill parts for the running stages, parts of the run routes are more hiking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

My Advice bike, bike and more bike for this....
    Hills and plenty of them and cant stress the need to work on bike handling (should come naturally with being outdoors on the bike),
    Descents are fast and on fairly rough surfaces and the climbs are tough too.
    Spare tubes, CO2, new tyres....
    One thing as well you will be in a group at the start and over taking people and then joining back up with the middle and short distance on the last bike leg so be aware of different paces and in particular road position over taking or being passed.
    You sound like you have the fitness but interested to know how the brick sessions are going outdoors for you??
    Might not be a bad idea to drive over and park in Glendalough and bring the bike to reccy the bike legs than fly blind.
    Oh and dont forget to enjoy it!

My Advice bike, bike and more bike for this....
    Hills and plenty of them and cant stress the need to work on bike handling (should come naturally with being outdoors on the bike),
    Descents are fast and on fairly rough surfaces and the climbs are tough too.
    Spare tubes, CO2, new tyres....
    One thing as well you will be in a group at the start and over taking people and then joining back up with the middle and short distance on the last bike leg so be aware of different paces and in particular road position over taking or being passed.
    You sound like you have the fitness but interested to know how the brick sessions are going outdoors for you??
    Might not be a bad idea to drive over and park in Glendalough and bring the bike to reccy the bike legs than fly blind.
    Oh and dont forget to enjoy it!

Yeh being straight because my lack of experience on the bike it is the Cycling legs that I am most worried about. What are the CO2? i took an opportunity last week to get my bike serviced last week.

I am doing the event with three other friends who all have good levels of fitness but they also have far more bike experience than i am. We have yet to discuss.......but id say out intentions will be to start together and finish race together so will prob go at a pace that suits everyone as like you say you need to enjoy it too and think that would be the best way to enjoy it rather than running all of course on your own.

As regards training........i have really only gotten in one proper bike ride which was done post a 5km park run. Was planning on getting out on weekend just gone but weather conditions ruined that but i did get in three sessions 30 mins spin bike followed straight by a 30 mins run on thread mill on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of weekend just gone and was happy with how legs felt. for the running part i included 10mins of Level 10 incline on the thread mill.

Obviously it no comparison to the real deal of outdoors on track but it was the best I could do given the outdoor conditions. My training schedule has also involved in me keeping up with my regular three weight sessions per week too.

This week training schedule three weight sessions, two sessions as per above on the spin bike and thread mill and then Saturday planning on doing the park run again followed by cycle out on road while trying to throw some half decent climbs and then finish up with light run again. Any recommendations if I should change anything? Also any opinion on foods gels as I have heard they can be quite hard on the stomach?

We planning on doing a dry run of one or two of the cycles maybe 3 or 4 weeks out from the race just to prepare ourselves. One my friends who is doing the race actually drove one of the cycle routes at the weekend and said it was savage! He actually ended up getting a flat tyre in his car and commented that the surface was in brutal condition with debris. I assume they will have a road sweeper give it a tidy in the weeks leading up to the race?

Yeh being straight because my lack of experience on the bike it is the Cycling legs that I am most worried about. What are the CO2? i took an opportunity last week to get my bike serviced last week.

I am doing the event with three other friends who all have good levels of fitness but they also have far more bike experience than i am. We have yet to discuss.......but id say out intentions will be to start together and finish race together so will prob go at a pace that suits everyone as like you say you need to enjoy it too and think that would be the best way to enjoy it rather than running all of course on your own.

As regards training........i have really only gotten in one proper bike ride which was done post a 5km park run. Was planning on getting out on weekend just gone but weather conditions ruined that but i did get in three sessions 30 mins spin bike followed straight by a 30 mins run on thread mill on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of weekend just gone and was happy with how legs felt. for the running part i included 10mins of Level 10 incline on the thread mill.

Obviously it no comparison to the real deal of outdoors on track but it was the best I could do given the outdoor conditions. My training schedule has also involved in me keeping up with my regular three weight sessions per week too.

This week training schedule three weight sessions, two sessions as per above on the spin bike and thread mill and then Saturday planning on doing the park run again followed by cycle out on road while trying to throw some half decent climbs and then finish up with light run again. Any recommendations if I should change anything? Also any opinion on foods gels as I have heard they can be quite hard on the stomach?

We planning on doing a dry run of one or two of the cycles maybe 3 or 4 weeks out from the race just to prepare ourselves. One my friends who is doing the race actually drove one of the cycle routes at the weekend and said it was savage! He actually ended up getting a flat tyre in his car and commented that the surface was in brutal condition with debris. I assume they will have a road sweeper give it a tidy in the weeks leading up to the race?

Im not trying to scare you here...

Your lack of outdoors is setting off alarm bells here not your fitness imo..
    5 km of a flat park run is not really a run...the expert level has 3 hill runs and 1 flat run at the end....(thats your park run at the end to put it in perspective for you)....
    Not including 3 difficult cycles in between and who knows what weather conditions you will have to contend with on the day....

I dont use gels my only advice don't take one the day of it if you haven't trained with them..
    There are so many on the market just read the instructions...
    High 5 yellows are to be taken with water...
    High 5 blues have the water included...

No road sweeper will be out before the event..

Running I would say aim for the combined distance in total on the flat at least of a Saturday...
    Cycling I would say again add up the totals and be aiming for that on the flat at least of a Saturday..
    Defo go to Glendalough and do the full spin..that alone will give you an idea on the training to under take..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spark23

Would people reccomended bring trail runners in a backpack for the run and changing from cycling shoes? i'm doing the expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

spark23 wrote: »
    Would people reccomended bring trail runners in a backpack for the run and changing from cycling shoes? i'm doing the expert.

Can loose time changing but I'm a terrible cyclist so needed the cleats to help me along.

Im not trying to scare you here...

Your lack of outdoors is setting off alarm bells here not your fitness imo..
    5 km of a flat park run is not really a run...the expert level has 3 hill runs and 1 flat run at the end....(thats your park run at the end to put it in perspective for you)....
    Not including 3 difficult cycles in between and who knows what weather conditions you will have to contend with on the day....

I dont use gels my only advice don't take one the day of it if you haven't trained with them..
    There are so many on the market just read the instructions...
    High 5 yellows are to be taken with water...
    High 5 blues have the water included...

No road sweeper will be out before the event..

Running I would say aim for the combined distance in total on the flat at least of a Saturday...
    Cycling I would say again add up the totals and be aiming for that on the flat at least of a Saturday..
    Defo go to Glendalough and do the full spin..that alone will give you an idea on the training to under take..

Cheers for the feedback and advice as really appreciate. Completely agree with you that majority of training needs to be outdoors and would have done two outdoor sessions last weekend but quite frankly the storm may that unsafe and not practical. Planning on doing spin around comeragh mountains in the next week or two and then also get a dry run in on the bike on Glendalough before hand too. Suprised the road is not cleaned in days before hand as my mate said it was terrible conditions at the moment but again the storm obviously played its part there.

I have never taken Gels and was planning on just maybe packing a few Mars bars. What is the story with water stations on course? Have ordered some trail runners on line but likewise was looking for advice with regards do people swap over runners then for bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

I did the expert before. I wouldn't bother with cleats and changing at each transition, just change your pedals and wear your trail runners the whole way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Have ordered some trail runners on line but likewise was looking for advice with regards do people swap over runners then for bike?

I have done a lot of these over the years and tried many different combinations of shoes, cleats etc.

Most of the time i use Zefal half toe clips (can't seem to link so just search Amazon and they should show up) with a set of flat pedals and my trail shoes. No straps so are ideal if you need to get your foot out quickly. What I would suggest is that you use whatever you are comfortable with if it is your first one and if you want to experiment after that then do.

IIRC in Glendalough there is one really rapid bike descent after the first trail run so be sure you're a confident on the bike for that too.
    A recce with your mates is the best thing to get you prepared. Get lots of brick sessions in as you are running off the bike 3 times and also running off the kayak which IMO is worse than the bike especially so late in the race.

Good luck and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

If you have the time I would definitely drive to Laragh and do the full cycle loop, if doing the Expert course. There's 4 decent climbs in it and some very steep descending. You will be full more comfortable on race day if you have been over the bike course and can visualise it.

All the mandatory kit easily fits into the 3 back pockets of a regular cycling jersey.

Tape 3 gels to the top tube of the bike. Have 2 x 750ml bottles on the bike and leave one 750ml bottle at the bike rack in Laragh. Drink the two bottles before you get back to Laragh and drink the third bottle quickly as you exit transition.

The runs are all hard. The first two are hillruns, the third is a longish trail run and the last one is a killer as you've just got out of a kayak, and you are tired.

100% keep the trail shoes on all day. There are too many transitions away from the base so you'd have to carry the runners on all the bike stages, also I believe there's a mandatory dismount and run on one of the steeper bike descents this year.

Finally, bring 3 or 4 dioralyte sachets in the jersey pocket. They keep cramp away, if you take them in time. Just before the first twinge of on coming cramp is usually the best time!

I think this is a very balanced course in terms of running/cycling but in saying that I think a good cyclist who can run well is always the winner here.

Don't worry about the kayak, it's a sit on top so easy to paddle and the stage is always very short for logistical reasons. They need the kayak for the next guy.

It's all aerobic, there's zero need for weights sessions for these races. Swap those out for runs or cycles. Do a long cycle and a long run at the weekend. Easy :)

Peterx wrote: »
    It's all aerobic, there's zero need for weights sessions for these races. Swap those out for runs or cycles. Do a long cycle and a long run at the weekend. Easy :)

Appreciate all advice and the tip about Diorlyte was very interesting as no body had ever suggested this to me to prevent cramp. I know there no need for weights training but this is something that I have been consistently the last few years and particularly enjoy so have been keen maintain the weight sessions while preparing for Quest.

Got in 3 good Brick training sessions last week but weather conditions made roads difficult so couldnt chance going through hilly roads as the all off track where I am from. The legs are feeling better with every session and the trasnsitioning between bike to run each time has felt good. The plan is still to do a dry run of the Bike stages in Glendalough in the few weeks previous to the race

Id be more a cyclist just put the runners and flats on...easier and less to be carrying...I bought a rack one year and carried the runners but only wreck your head.

Cheers for the feedback and advice as really appreciate. Completely agree with you that majority of training needs to be outdoors and would have done two outdoor sessions last weekend but quite frankly the storm may that unsafe and not practical. Planning on doing spin around comeragh mountains in the next week or two and then also get a dry run in on the bike on Glendalough before hand too. Suprised the road is not cleaned in days before hand as my mate said it was terrible conditions at the moment but again the storm obviously played its part there.

I have never taken Gels and was planning on just maybe packing a few Mars bars. What is the story with water stations on course? Have ordered some trail runners on line but likewise was looking for advice with regards do people swap over runners then for bike?

Just spotted your location...if you're near the Comeragh mountains lad...Powers the pott climb I think it is and Mahon falls for climbing the roads are terrible so defo the place to practice if you dont get to Laragh...but defo worth a trip for the cycle alone...the 2nd last and last leg of the run are easily navigated from Quests map alone..so park in Glendalough dot he spin about 50k in total and run the last 2 sections before and after the last weekend of your training before tapering...while trying out all your gear you want to know that your not chaffing etc...Cycling top with rear pockets as Peter says for carrying kit...Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Hi All,

Would someone be able to share a strava link to the 2nd run section?
    I plan on doing a recce of the full cycle including the 1st and 2nd run sections this coming weekend. I know the 1st run route but never tried the 2nd run route before.

Also, I noticed the below note in the route information section of the Quest website - would anyone know which section of the first cycle the below refers to?
    Stage 1:
    Note: Dismount before 1st narrow bridge & remount only after 2nd bridge when instructed to do so – DQ for non-compliance.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

See you can access this link;

https://www.strava.com/activities/2268884763

ofthelord wrote: »
    Hi All,

Would someone be able to share a strava link to the 2nd run section?...

Also, I noticed the below note in the route information section of the Quest website - would anyone know which section of the first cycle the below refers to?
    Stage 1:
    Note: Dismount before 1st narrow bridge & remount only after 2nd bridge when instructed to do so – DQ for non-compliance...

Here's the whole route from 2016 https://www.strava.com/activities/554487520 hopefully it's public

That dismount looks to be on the very first cycle right at the start of the race - so yet another reason to wear runners all day

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Thanks The Davestator and Peterx,
    Davestator your link is 'not found' but Peterx's link is ok - I will take a close look at this link for an idea of the 2nd run route and use it as reference this weekend and hopefully won't get too lost on the side of the mountain. The 2nd run doesn't look like there are too many turns on it so should be ok to navigate, and ideally there will be a nice worn path to follow.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

A hard days climbing ahead! Cant wait

ofthelord wrote: »
    Thanks The Davestator and Peterx,
    Davestator your link is 'not found' but Peterx's link is ok - I will take a close look at this link for an idea of the 2nd run route and use it as reference this weekend and hopefully won't get too lost on the side of the mountain. The 2nd run doesn't look like there are too many turns on it so should be ok to navigate, and ideally there will be a nice worn path to follow.
    Thanks again.

You wont get lost (unless you are first)!

Plenty of people to follow and signs and marshals.

Hope everyones training is going well. Been happy with my own progress with plenty of Brick sessions and have to say legs are feeling good.

Just wondering what is the story with water top up stations? I assume it is not like a marathon run where there are people handing out water bottles to participants or is it case of that you carry your own bottles through out and just fill them up at the available water tap stations?

Also in relation to the Mandatory kit.......how strictly is this looked at and enforced? Also where it possible to get the tin foil wraps or is that a stupid question and do people just carry kitchen tin foil!!??

Hope everyones training is going well. Been happy with my own progress with plenty of Brick sessions and have to say legs are feeling good.

Just wondering what is the story with water top up stations? I assume it is not like a marathon run where there are people handing out water bottles to participants or is it case of that you carry your own bottles through out and just fill them up at the available water tap stations?

Also in relation to the Mandatory kit.......how strictly is this looked at and enforced? Also where it possible to get the tin foil wraps or is that a stupid question and do people just carry kitchen tin foil!!??

Carry your own and fill accordingly if you can find them!
    From memory I cant say I remember using or seeing any Quest supplied ones(thats not to say to dont exist)

They do ask and inspect for mandatory kit and last year one lady was a stickler on the first run..
    Not sure on the tin foil wraps?? :) I hope youre not planning on bringing illegal substances!! :D if so see you at the after party!! ;)
    Foil emergency blanket is it?
    Regatta outdoors would stock them... cheap enough if thats what it is...

You can get the foil blankets in any trespass or regatta shop. It's not heavy and could be important if you twist an ankle up high so don't worry about whether you can get away with not carrying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There's definitely a top up station at the bike rack in GAA grounds in Laragh

You won't be allowed into the initial holding pen without the kit. They are very strict on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just received an email from Quest and they have a link to the "Revised Routes"

For the Challenge Route it looks like they've gotten rid of that really deep descent that brings you to the bridge at St. Patrick & St. Killian Church. Whihc is probably not a bad thing. They've also confirmed the finsh at Laragh GAA Club like last year's change. Not sure if the other routes have changed.

They've also introduced cut off times. Again, probably not a bad thing. Some people end up staying out for hours.

Advertisement