Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injured/Retired

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Please no more comments about the posts by ANDREWMUFC.
    I have sent him a PM.

Perhaps posters are unaware how horse trainers operate.
    Douvan is entered in five races, three of those at Cheltenham.
    It is usual practice for horse trainers to multi-enter horses in races, many months in advance.
    A trainer may enter multiple horses in one race.
    The decision about which race a horse runs in depends on training, unknowable factors such as the going on the day, and opposition in the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Ah poor oul Willie. At least he done us the favour of telling us the horse is out/injured, more than he done at Cheltenham when he let it run while no where near right and costing punters. A friend of mine had a 5K double Altior and Douvan at Chelt. Guy is pretty shrewd and has some connections and doesn't bat an eyelid if one of his bets go down. But afterwards it was trickling from the Mullins stable that staff weren't surprised when it was beaten as Douvan wasn't right. Should never have run at Cheltenham.

I'll give Mullins one thing though, when he tells an owner a horse will win it usually does. Another mate had some horses with him for a number of years and we'd back them throughout the day say at prices of 9/4 (guide price) it would return 7/2 - 4/1 at the off and p!ss up. I'm not sure if all prices go like that but we noticed once the 'owner' money was down, after that the price would drift big time.

DubInTheWest
    Nice to hear your stories. No facts, just stories.
    Perhaps you would go to the Forum Charter and read the After Timing thread

READ THIS-After Timing
    After timing extremely annoying
    Please don't come into a thread after the race has been run and say 'Aw get in had 20 on him'' ''Backed him at 9/2 this morning '' unless you have mentioned it beforehand.
    There will be warning slaps and bans it's incredibly annoying

I'm just bumping this thread to yet again remind people, both regular and not-so-regular posters, to please stop after timing. It's extremely annoying to everyone. Final warning. Infractions will follow from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

They'll get very little sympathy from me.

Filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

It’s rumbled quite a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Ya Ruby was on itv yesterday saying he was the finest

His connection with PP stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ah poor oul Willie. At least he done us the favour of telling us the horse is out/injured, more than he done at Cheltenham when he let it run while no where near right and costing punters. A friend of mine had a 5K double Altior and Douvan at Chelt. Guy is pretty shrewd and has some connections and doesn't bat an eyelid if one of his bets go down. But afterwards it was trickling from the Mullins stable that staff weren't surprised when it was beaten as Douvan wasn't right. Should never have run at Cheltenham.

Your friend might have had the bet, I can’t say he did or he didn’t, but your comments about the staff in Mullins’ yard is wrong information or is just a blatant lie by you.

Are you seriously trying to say that the horse was injured but Ricci and Mullins ran him anyway? And that staff in Mullins’ yard knew about Douvan being injured? Some of the stuff spouted on here about Willie Mullins is just incredible.

I don’t agree with some of the stuff that goes on regarding transparency and ante post markets etc. but some of the stuff that’s written her is unbelievable.

Finally, my biggest gripe with all of the carry on with Douvan and the Tingle Creek last year and this year and what happened in the Champion Chase is with Ruby Walsh. He said himself the horse wasn’t travelling about 1 mile out but he rode him out instead of pulling him up. He had no reason to keep driving him into fences when he had clearly hurt himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Motivator wrote: »
    Your friend might have had the bet, I can’t say he did or he didn’t, but your comments about the staff in Mullins’ yard is wrong information or is just a blatant lie by you.

Are you seriously trying to say that the horse was injured but Ricci and Mullins ran him anyway? And that staff in Mullins’ yard knew about Douvan being injured? Some of the stuff spouted on here about Willie Mullins is just incredible.

I don’t agree with some of the stuff that goes on regarding transparency and ante post markets etc. but some of the stuff that’s written her is unbelievable.

Finally, my biggest gripe with all of the carry on with Douvan and the Tingle Creek last year and this year and what happened in the Champion Chase is with Ruby Walsh. He said himself the horse wasn’t travelling about 1 mile out but he rode him out instead of pulling him up. He had no reason to keep driving him into fences when he had clearly hurt himself.

My comments are not wrong and why would I lie ? The horse wasn't right and they ran him end of. Obviously they thought even if he wasn't 100% he'd win. It was wrong to run him. This was well known in the hours afterwards. Here's a snippet of it >> https://www.racingpost.com/news/owner-ricci-says-mullins-team-were-never-happy-with-douvan-last-season/308305

Look I don't claim to know everything about racing. In fact I couldn't care less about Douvan, Altior, Faugheen or any horse for that matter. When I owned horses back in the good oul days, I cared for my horses while I owned them, not because I loved them but because I wanted to earn a few quid off of them. As soon as they moved on, or broke down on the gallops and were put down, that was it. I couldn't give a sh!t about racing to me its just a financial transaction but my whole point of posting in this thread was to say I just think it was very wrong of Mullins to run Douvan at Cheltenham when he wasn't right. I'm not saying the horse was down and out injured when he ran but he wasn't right and something was definitely wrong and Mullins, Ricci and the staff knew about it. Punters put their faith in Mullins and the horse and were let down.

Some of you are just so over-sensitive about horses, remember, financial transactions is all they are.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ooo controversial..

I want an end to comments about Douvan, Mullins, Walsh.
    Posters might think they can make accusations.
    If a poster libels someone the poster may have to defend their comments.
    Boards.ie is not, and will not, be a platform for unfounded accusations.

The next poster to continue on this subject will be banned, and that includes any comments, direct or otherwise.

Posters ANDREWMUFC, DubInTheWest, Slattsy, JJs Left Hand do not post again on the subject.

Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This will probably earn me a holiday, but hopefully I am allowed to publish these comments from Ruby Walsh without comment.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/ruby-walsh-fingers-crossed-faugheen-will-make-cheltenham-festival-775831.html

"I saw him Saturday morning and he looked fine to me. He looked 100%," Walsh told Racing UK.
    Hours before Faugheen was pulled from Cheltenham in February of this year.
    https://www.racinguk.com/news/ruby-walsh-confident-of-recovering-in-time-to-make-festival-return

With a bit of luck we will see Douvan on the 27th at Leopardstown, I would imagine. I saw him on Saturday morning and he looked great.
    Comments made 4 days before Douvan confirmed as missing the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I also heard Douvan wasn't right on the day of the Champion Chase myself.

Was just told, he wasn't 100% as he had a niggle. It was more than niggle in the end.

Had him the 'easy' double with Altior the day before and a friend had a similar bet to the posters mate up above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

hawaii501 wrote: »
    I also heard Douvan wasn't right on the day of the Champion Chase myself.

Was just told, he wasn't 100% as he had a niggle. It was more than niggle in the end.

Of all the favourites at Cheltenham this year, Douvan was the strongest in the ring. Some 2/7 available early but 2/9, 1/5 was all that was available before the race. No bookie was willing to step out of line and lay Douvan.

You may have had some inside info from the stable but the betting on the race suggests that Mullins expected Douvan to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Spot The Difference passed away today aged at a fine age of 25.

Will always remember the race where he collapsed after the line having won. Everyone feared the worst until he sprung back up to his feet.

RIP fella.

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Spot-Thedifference-dies-at-the-age-of-25&prid=188642

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Legend of a horse I was there that day you could hear a pin drop no one went to the parade ring everybody waited for spot the cheer that went up when he got up was a warm and magical moment will never forget it

• Advertisement

Smad Place picked up a slight injury but enough to send him into retirement. Gave his owners some memorable days out, Hennessy and Cotswold Chaseamong the pick. Hadnt missed the Cheltenham festival in 8 years.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/hennessy-hero-smad-place-retired-due-to-injury/317736

Enjoy the retirement fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Whisper out for rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Fountains Windfall killed in a schooling accident today

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Massimo Tara

Fountains Windfall killed in a schooling accident today

Horrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Conegree out for rest of season with stress fracture.

I know the Bradstocks have always said that his body is brittle but is it any wonder when Sarah rides him out every day?

If only the poor animal could talk :-D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Cause of Causes retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Cue Card retired, effective immediately

Legend.

His King George was an epic epic race, one for the ages
    Had Vautour backed but still couldnt begrudge Cue Card

The day he beat Captain Chris was the day I fell in love with that horse, a true class act.

Still think he would have won the GC had he stayed up that day in 2016

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Our Duke died of a heart attack this morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

kfallon wrote: »
    Our Duke died of a heart attack this morning :(

There were signs this season and particularly after he was pulled up in Cheltenham that something was wrong.

Katie Walsh has retired - https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Katie-Walsh-bows-out-on-a-winner-&prid=190912

Between herself, Ted and Ruby, I am struggling to think of three immediate family members who were as good at their trade as they were.

• Advertisement

Aidan o brien and his two sons? Willy Mullins and Patrick/ nephews?

Add Tommy/Paul/Nina Carberry to that

BumperD wrote: »
    Aidan o brien and his two sons? Willy Mullins and Patrick/ nephews?
    Ruby goes without saying. Ted was the top amateur rider of his generation, up there with Derek O' Connor, but people looking at him now would have no clue, no archive footage exists of him in the saddle. Katie was a very good amateur. All three together for me are better than any or the aforementioned.

It is funny you mentioned the O'Brien's. Personally, I always had a soft spot for Anne Marie O'Brien (neé Crowley) who should probably have ridden for longer than what she did, but she decided to have 4 sprogs. Her career was cut short, but for me, she was the most naturally gifted rider in the O'Brien clan.a

Another milestone for the O Brien family with Donnacha winning the 2,000 Guineas

Timmy Murphy packing it in at 43.

Was always a fan of his over the jumps.

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Timmy-Murphy-announces-his-retirement&prid=191387

Eddie Hales retiring - https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/from-racing-to-restaurateur-shock-departure-for-don-cossack-producer-hales/331801

This one surprised me a lot, having met Eddie, I thought he would be training horses until he died.

Denman put to sleep, surprised no one has mentioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Denman put to sleep, surprised no one has mentioned it.

What a horse, his performance in the hennesssey was as good as it got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭I says

Finians Oscar dead from colic. Shame as he was getting his act together over fences.

Jim Culloty retires from training.

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Culloty-to-leave-training-ranks&prid=192684

Was he the worst trainer to ever win a Gold Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Jim Culloty retires from training.

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Culloty-to-leave-training-ranks&prid=192684

Was he the worst trainer to ever win a Gold Cup?

Yes! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Probably the worst horse to win a gold cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Order Of St George has been retired. Trainer said time has caught up with him and he wouldn't be risked again on Sunday.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/aidan-obrien-hails-incredible-order-of-st-george-as-star-is-retired/345650

A fine nh stallion propect , you’d think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

tryfix wrote: »
    Order Of St George has been retired. Trainer said time has caught up with him and he wouldn't be risked again on Sunday.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/aidan-obrien-hails-incredible-order-of-st-george-as-star-is-retired/345650

"Age has caught up with him" he's six for God sake,another overhyped Ballydoyle inmate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

UrbanFret wrote: »
    "Age has caught up with him" he's six for God sake,another overhyped Ballydoyle inmate.

Harsh!

I’d take £2 million prize money of that hype anyway

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I am the first person to criticise horses being retired too early, but this comment is just wrong.

The horse has ran 25 times over that period at a high level, some of those races have been a slog over heavy going too. The manner of its defeat to Stradivarius last time out would suggest to me that the horse is a few lbs below its peak. Aidan is probably looking at it thinking, it's unlikely to win a high profile grade 1 again, and if it's not winning that sort of race, then there's no point continuing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I am the first person to criticise horses being retired too early, but this comment is just wrong.

The horse has ran 25 times over that period at a high level, some of those races have been a slog over heavy going too. The manner of its defeat to Stradivarius last time out would suggest to me that the horse is a few lbs below its peak. Aidan is probably looking at it thinking, it's unlikely to win a high profile grade 1 again, and if it's not winning that sort of race, then there's no point continuing with it.

The horse had no improvement left in him and nothing left to prove, he goes to stud with a very impressive staying career behind him plus 3rd and 4th place finishes in the Arc. Ascot Gold Cup winning stayers make great NH stallions such as Kayf Tara, Yeats, Fame And Glory ( a big loss ).

Ballydoyle is a great stable for producing high class NH stallion prospects who are proven stayers who've also shown their durability. It's a great set up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement