Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scullion retires!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Personally, I find him very hard to take. I listened to the first few episodes of his podcast when it came out and I just found him egotistic and arrogant.

There is a distinctive Irish trait, whereby people are modest to the point of almost self effacement. This is what I've grown up with so I find any level of ego hard to bare.

Great to see O'Lionaird back and also Corscoran doing so well. Sick of all these marathon joggers hogging the limelight on the Irish men's running scene :p

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

He is so raw and honest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Personally, I find him very hard to take. I listened to the first few episodes of his podcast when it came out and I just found him egotistic and arrogant.

There is a distinctive Irish trait, whereby people are modest to the point of almost self effacement. This is what I've grown up with

This is the exact reason I like listening to the podcast. IMO, it would be boring listening to someone who does everything by the book and plays themselves down all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Yep I love the ego, bring it on, his podcast wouldnt exist without it. I want him on there telling us he's better than everyone else etc, thats all part of the craic. Id say his competitors hate him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

There is a distinctive Irish trait, whereby people are modest to the point of almost self effacement. This is what I've grown up with so I find any level of ego hard to bare.

Great to see O'Lionaird back and also Corscoran doing so well. Sick of all these marathon joggers hogging the limelight on the Irish men's running scene :p

His attitude is what makes him.
    Winners call it in black and white.

If you want the soft c*ck approach to podcasts/journalism then there is the likes of Irish Runner magazine aka woman's way that tries to please all and improve/question nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yeah I agree about the ego...it's who he is! His podcasts are very rarely boring, I love that he is so passionate & erratic at times! I like his style of showing warts & all....

I do think he's a bit like marmite, you either love it or you don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

The attraction of the podcast is that it is instantly recognizable to anyone who races - no matter what the level. We all go through the same emotional cycle so it's refreshing to hear it from someone at that level.

I remember trying to get someone to relax their arms by telling them to shake out out their arms at each mile. They protested that when watching marathons on tv commentators would react to this by saying that the runner was tiring. It dawned on me that we tend not to think of elites as getting tired, fed up, unmotivated, having bad days, family stuff etc, etc like we all do. So the honesty in the podcast is what keeps it interesting. I've turned a bunch of people onto the podcast who'd have no great interest in Irish running.

And the "arrogance" to believe you can take down the competitor, clubmate etc - we all think that though we might not say it. Without it I'm not sure we would compete. It's not as if he is dismissive of his competitors.

I do wish he would go back and listen to his previous podcasts - it is frustrating to hear him repeat the same cycle. I think a lot of his listeners can see this - it's pity he does no seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The last episode was what I expected. Its a repeat of the last two months low.

He always has a new plan but it will fall apart till he gets back to USA.

Its just who he is, changes his mind pretty often and he can't help that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunOnTheLeft

He is an alcoholic head the ball!

Please don't change Stevie!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I just can't imagine him motivating an office team though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

It’s the raw warts’n’all style that has kept me listening.
    As Irish people we tend to look on somebody backing themselves and outwardly showing confidence In their ability as a negative character trait. He has spent time in Australia and the US where I think self belief is encouraged more. With Scullion you get the real ups and downs, the impact of Covid-19 really account for most of the downs which many of us can relate to.
    I reached out to him about coaching because I wanted to try and support his attempts to get to Tokyo, I wasn’t really thinking too much about the training itself as I follow plans all year round anyway but he has been brilliant to deal with and very genuine and generous with his time and input.

Advertisement