Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Boggles wrote: »
    The homeless problem is largely concentrated in urban areas.

There is absolutely nothing stopping any homeless person from applying to Leitrim County Council for assistance.

Why do you think they are not?

Don't you have to be living in the area or have links to the area to apply for social housing there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Antares35 wrote: »
    And that's why you're against it, sure. You wouldn't be up in arms if it was planned for Dublin or Cork. NIMBY much?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY

I'm from Dublin, of course i'd be up in arms if they tried to put it here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Antares35 wrote: »
    You're only entitled to your own patch of grass and outside that you've no right to dictate who can or cannot live beside you.

Yes we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭enricoh

biko wrote: »
    Sinn Fein TD Martin Kenny says it’ll be good for the town and county

Martin Kenny lives in Aughavas Co Leitrim with his wife Helen and four children.
    I vote we put the provision centre in Aughavas instead

Sinn féin do love a growing welfare sector for their votes! More asylum seekers can only help in that regard.
    It'll be interesting in the next election to see how they get on and the couple of tds that called out the majority of asylum seekers as spongers.

Typical boards.ie high posts count anti Irish drivel.

Meanwhile there is a massive homeless problem in Ireland and boards.ie is fast to close threads and accounts that do not cheer on the ruin of our own nation.

can you point out any anti-irish speech in my post please?
    also, there's plenty of houses available in Leitrim if those homeless people want a home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Don't you have to be living in the area or have links to the area to apply for social housing there?

Not at all.

Local Housing authorities routinely allow homeless people switch and there may also be swaps because of various reasons.

Now you may have a bit of trouble if the local authority is absolutely overwhelmed, then they might enforce the rules regarding links in the area.

But homelessness would be eradicated within 12 months if the numbers could be dispersed throughout the island.

Obviously that will never happen.

Sinn Fein TD Martin Kenny says it’ll be good for the town and county

Martin Kenny lives in Aughavas Co Leitrim with his wife Helen and four children.
    I vote we put the provision centre in Aughavas instead

it will be good for the town, extra people will bring some life into it.
    Ballinamore is a small town, Aghavas is just a townland, there is no town & nowhere to house them.
    There are plenty of empty houses in the town, Its good see them being used instead of falling apart.
    There was a direct provision centre in the town some years ago, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Who in their right mind wants to move to Leitrim for social housing. It would destroy them.
    The locals are leaving Leitrim for years.

I'm from a town not a million miles away and a ton of folks are up and down the road to Dublin for work every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Inpatient

Sinn Fein are the mouthpiece of the IRA the biggest organised crime gang this country has ever seen.

I thought we had all agreed that it was the bunch that ran Anglo Irish Bank that were the biggest organised crime gang.

On the actual Topic,

Its wrong place for 130 Asylum seekers, they should be located close to a city that already has people of their own nationality, an embassy, airport and Social services that are experienced in dealing with Asylum seekers that are new to Ireland, and a chance of employment and being able to get to it.

I offer the example of Syrian refugees that are in Ballaghadereen, no issues with crime or anything, but i can tell you for sure employment is a problem for them and integration for the parents generation is not easy.

Wrong place again.

enricoh wrote: »
    Sinn féin do love a growing welfare sector for their votes! More asylum seekers can only help in that regard.

They can't vote.

Facepalm-statue-300x300.jpg

• Advertisement

They can't vote.

Their future children can, and if they become Irish citizens they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boogles can't thank that far into the future :D

Look at other countries where the idea of buffing the rural areas with immigrants have been implemented.
    How have they fared?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I had a go and one of your posts in another thread but I totally agree with this post.:D

One thing I will say is anybody defending Sinn Fein is displaying their own stupidity.

Their future children can, and if they become Irish citizens they can.

With a 70% + rejection rate on relatively small numbers it would seem an extreme exercise in vote gathering.

Also SF have never been in government, any policy we have on the Asylum process has nothing to do with them, the big lads in FG and FF will get the credit and votes.

All though I think the whole thing about housing some of the most unfortunate people in world just for votes is a pretty bat shít conspiracy theory.

Probably taken as fact in certain troubling circles I imagine.

I'll thank you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I thought we had all agreed that it was the bunch that ran Anglo Irish Bank that were the biggest organised crime gang.

On the actual Topic,

Its wrong place for 130 Asylum seekers, they should be located close to a city that already has people of their own nationality, an embassy, airport and Social services that are experienced in dealing with Asylum seekers that are new to Ireland, and a chance of employment and being able to get to it.

I offer the example of Syrian refugees that are in Ballaghadereen, no issues with crime or anything, but i can tell you for sure employment is a problem for them and integration for the parents generation is not easy.

Wrong place again.

What city is there, like this, which has 130 empty apartments?

Or are you saying that because we cannot provide the perfect situation, the people should stay in refugee camps?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Local politician brings in people that will owe him.

With a 70% + rejection rate on relatively small numbers it would seem an extreme exercise in vote gathering.

Not a hugely exhausting task for a local Councillor when population of town is under 1000 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They're being put as far away from those in power as possible, and SF are too up their own holes to say anything about it.

Brits out, asylum seekers in.

What city is there, like this, which has 130 empty apartments?

Or are you saying that because we cannot provide the perfect situation, the people should stay in refugee camps?

You assume I propose they should all be housed together in one apartment block, if they were to be dispersed across a few locations in a city, it would work better for everyone, including the community, them and their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

Not at all.

Local Housing authorities routinely allow homeless people switch and there may also be swaps because of various reasons.

Now you may have a bit of trouble if the local authority is absolutely overwhelmed, then they might enforce the rules regarding links in the area.

But homelessness would be eradicated within 12 months if the numbers could be dispersed throughout the island.

Obviously that will never happen.

First, why will it never happen?

And do you have any proof that homelessness can be eradicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭enricoh

Aye, its like saying asylum seekers dont come here for welfare as they only get e39 a week.
    Yeah, for the couple of years of penance they have to do in direct provision until they hit the jackpot that is leave to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The thing I could never understand is how asylum seekers got into council's and even mayor positions....

I think this is very wrong and while I'm at it our Irish police force should also be ran similar to Germany and France and so on where you must be a Irish citizen.

The thing I could never understand is how asylum seekers got into council's and even mayor positions....

I think this is very wrong and while I'm at it our Irish police force should also be ran similar to Germany and France and so on where you must be a Irish citizen.

how do you expect people to integrate into a new society if you keep them isolated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    130 moving into an apartment block in November. 150 attended a meeting this evening about the plan. Would be good to see locals put a stop to it but probably not. Media pretty quiet so far and I think if this gets the coverage it should it will ramp up tensions....

Interesting SF now appear to support developers been paid to house asylum seekers but not for social housing!! The developer is Paul Collins.

Barry Whyte of Newstalk was in attendance. Cant link his twitter.

I think it should be proportionate numbers to whatever town is chosen.
    I don't think Dublin or the other cities should take everyone.

Say 20-30 or so for somewhere like Ballinamore - on approval to stay, they can make their own way in the world with whatever help they need to enhance finding a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bubblypop wrote: »
    how do you expect people to integrate into a new society if you keep them isolated?

How is it isolation, they can work and contribute.

I honestly have a hard enough time having to deal with the political peeps we have and don't need others coming in telling us how to live...
    No thanks.

How is it isolation, they can work and contribute.

I honestly have a hard enough time having to deal with the political peeps we have and don't need others coming in telling us how to live...
    No thanks.

politicians and police should mirror society.
    If we have large numbers of say, Chinese people for example, then they should be obvious in our governments and police.
    AGS need a lot of new faces, the more diverse the background the better, imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don't think allowing asylum seekers in to sleep in the doorways of the GPO is a good idea.

Advertisement