Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations to Katie Taylor!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I remember when she won her gold in 2012, the thread on here had a few lads saying they could easily beat her in a match. They seemed to base that solely on being physically bigger than her. That was amusing.

I wouldn't be surprised if she had to deal with a few idiots like that outside the ring.

She spars with male boxers I believe. I know exactly nought about boxing but would imagine her training, fitness, skills and speed would make up a lot for any physical differences in weight or size if she was fight some randomer male who thought he could take her on. Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Greentopia wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if she had to deal with a few idiots like that outside the ring.

She spars with male boxers I believe. I know exactly nought about boxing but would imagine her training, fitness, skills and speed would make up a lot for any physical differences in weight or size if she was to take on some randomer male who thought he could take her on. Is that what you mean?

She sparred and won against frampton lately

"Katie was super fast, and it felt like when I was sparring her she was probably a better boxer than me, if I’m being honest. She is so fast, so, so fast it’s really difficult...

‘"She battered me a couple of times, I tried my best," he continued.

Carl Frampton on sparring Katie Taylor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Nobelium wrote: »
    Nope, Keane won no titles at world level, and nothing at any other sport. He also ran out on his country when playing and let his team down.

The champions league is world level.

If you want to get pedantic about everything (like you just did) can we dismiss Katie Taylor's achievements because her wins are all based on a weight category, I mean she isn't actually the world champion of boxing just world champion of women around her own weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

seannash wrote: »
    I think people are missing a very obvious factor here.
    Let's say for example we have a football player who is playing in division 3, is named best footballer in that division for 10 years in a row, highest goal scorer every year, wins multiple cups for the team practically single handed. He is not a better player than someone who plays his entire career in the premiership yet wins no titles or accolades.

I don't see how you can't see this is what people are saying about female boxing and male boxing. The skill it takes to get to the highest level in men's boxing is a lot higher than women's.
    John McEnroe came under fire for saying Serena Williams would not be in the top 100 players of all time if she was put in with the men's players.
    Williams practically confirmed this to be true. There is a vast difference and to dent that is absurd.

Katie Taylor is without a doubt one of the best Irish boxers of all time. But certainly not the greatest Irish boxer of all time

The main argument seems to be that Katie has far fewer opponents to beat to get to the top. Was that the case for Williams? Do women play tennis in far fewer numbers worldwide than men? If the numbers of women playing professionally is near that of men, then she deserves to be considered one of the best. Unless we are saying that even if the professional participation levels in a sport are equal between the genders, women can’t be considered amongst the best because they can’t beat a man in the same sport? Which is it? Numbers of opponents one needs to beat or gender? And does that mean that very successful boxers in lower weight classes can’t be considered great because they might not be able to be a heavyweight?

So many questions!

She spars with male boxers I believe. I know exactly nought about boxing but would imagine her training, fitness, skills and speed would make up a lot for any physical differences in weight or size if she was to take on some randomer male who thought he could take her on. Is that what you mean?

Yeah, as I recall, these lads thought that being physically stronger would be all that was required to beat her. No boxing skills.

Most of those guys would have what is known as

Roid rage and they’d be physically sick that a woman bettered them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nope, Keane won no titles at world level, and nothing at any other sport. He also ran out on his country when playing and let his team down.

Keane is one of the 5 best players to ever play for Manu and the best Irish player of all time and he was sent home. He didn't get an opportunity as Ireland were never capable of winning the world cup. Messi and C Ronaldo also never won the world cup, I suppose all there champions league medals don't count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. Unless we are saying that even if the professional participation levels in a sport are equal between the genders, women can’t be considered amongst the best because they can’t beat a man in the same sport? !

The gender part has to be discounted from sports because theres never going to be a level playing field in that regard, women just cant compete with men, which is why sports are segregated.

Track & field and tennis are generally seen as as equal in terms of achievements across the genders. That doesnt mean they can be mixed because it wouldnt be fair and without quotas they would just be mens sport anyway.

Sports have the potential to grow to that level but as it stands, most womens sports are decades behind mens at least . The commercial side needs to rise to drag the rest up. If people say football, they mean mens football and its the same for most sports because thats whats been mainstream for a long time and thats where the interest lies. The money isnt in most womens sports (for the equivalent of the big mens game) at the minute for large scale professional leagues to rival mens ones. Professional leagues are needed to develop the top tier.

Part time women will take a long time to get near a similar level to top tier professional men.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

The champions league is world level.

If you want to get pedantic about everything (like you just did) can we dismiss Katie Taylor's achievements because her wins are all based on a weight category, I mean she isn't actually the world champion of boxing just world champion of women around her own weight.

No the champions league is European club level, Keane has nothing other than running away from his country and team at international world cup level.

"Katie was super fast, and it felt like when I was sparring her she was probably a better boxer than me, if I’m being honest. She is so fast, so, so fast it’s really difficult...

‘"She battered me a couple of times, I tried my best," he continued.

Carl Frampton on sparring Katie Taylor.

Ok now I have to find out who Carl Frampton is. :o

Yeah, as I recall, these lads thought that being physically stronger would be all that was required to beat her. No boxing skills.

No one is or should be debating that silliness. Professional sports people dont test themselves against the average person. A trained boxer should be able to beat the average joe if they (the averge joe) is stupid enough to get in the ring. Training will level out a bit of strength difference (even then, with the fact she trains, shed probably be as strong or stronger than a good chunk of men).

It's the like for like comparison where the gap shows.

Most of those guys would have what is known as

Roid rage and they’d be physically sick that a woman bettered them

Yes can well imagine :pac:

No the champions league is European club level, Keane has nothing other than running away from his country and team at international world cup level.

Oh for Christ sake stop it would you.

All the best players have been playing in europe from the mid 90's onwards.

The Champions League is the de facto world club championship and is much more equitable than the world cup as you gain success in that competition as an individual on merit not based on the country you come from.

No the champions league is European club level,.

Which (in 1999) then gets you in to the intercontinental cup. Which Keane won with Utd.

• Advertisement

Yes can well imagine :pac:

Oh totally

the idea that a woman was a better boxer to them would induce stroke level blood pressure to add to the roid rage.

Not a pretty sight!

Which (in 1999) then gets you in to the intercontinental cup. Which Keane won with Utd.

He scored the winning goal in the final aswell.

He ran away in fear of being challenged. It’s very sad. This is why he is such an angry man.

For all the talk of him as the ultimate hard man (this itself part of the Uk lad culture rubbish) -

The one time he had a chance to put himself against the best in the world he made up a bull**** excuse and ran away.

This weighs on him heavily and will do for the rest of his life.

Anyway. KT on this point alone wins.

He ran away in fear of being challenged. It’s very sad. This is why he is such an angry man.

For all the talk of him as the ultimate hard man (this itself part of the Uk lad culture rubbish) -

The one time he had a chance to put himself against the best in the world he made up a bull**** excuse and ran away.

i never heard such sh1te in my life and its the level youre at all thread

and ive little time for keane

He played in the 1994 world cup.

I don't think the fear of taking on a challenge is why the Saipan incident occurred.

• Advertisement

i never heard such sh1te in my life and its the level youre at all thread

and ive little time for keane

It’s true

He confided in a close friend that it will haunt him all his life.

I won’t say who it was but a very prominent international.

Former international I should clarify

Oh for Christ sake stop it would you.

All the best players have been playing in europe from the mid 90's onwards.

The Champions League is the de facto world club championship and is much more equitable than the world cup as you gain success in that competition as an individual on merit not based on the country you come from.

this isn't world cup / international level no matter how you try to spin it, and Keane has never won anything like the Ballon d'Or

It’s true

He confided in a close friend that it will haunt him all his life.

I won’t say who it was but a very prominent international.

Former international I should clarify

and Mick McCarthy saying he sent him home was all part of the cover up too I assume?

He played in the 1994 world cup.

I don't think the fear of taking on a challenge is why the Saipan incident occurred.

This is off topic but he was what they call a bit player in 94

To bring it back on topic what KT has achieved is way more impressive.

and Mick McCarthy saying he sent him home was all part of the cover up too I assume?

What are you on about?

Keane made up an ad hoc Bull sh1t excuse then ran back to fergie.

I don’t know what this cover up u are talking about is?

U on the beer I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I have zero interest in Rugby, or Golf, or snooker or various other sports. I'm mainly a Man Utd fan, and I watch s lot of Motorsport and I watch the big boxing events.

If an Irish person or team win something big, in a sport I don't have an interest in, I still feel a bit of pride.

It's sickening some of the posts in here sh1tting all over Katie and her well earned achievements. She is the undisputed women's lightweight champion of the world. Have some respect.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I have zero interest in Rugby, or Golf, or snooker or various other sports. I'm mainly a Man Utd fan, and I watch s lot of Motorsport and I watch the big boxing events.

If an Irish person or team win something big, in a sport I don't have an interest in, I still feel a bit of pride.

It's sickening some of the posts in here sh1tting all over Katie and her well earned achievements. She is the undisputed women's lightweight champion of the world. Have some respect.

I think some ppl just can’t bring themselves to admit she as a woman has done well. Others want to promote also rans. It’s revealing and sad really

this isn't world cup / international level no matter how you try to spin it, and Keane has never won anything like the Ballon d'Or

The champions league is a higher standard than the world cup. Barcelona are far better than Spain, Liverpool are better than England and Juventus are better than Italy.

McCarthy accused him of faking an injury, you don't accuse a professional who always gives his all of faking an injury

Greyfox wrote: »
    The champions league is a higher standard than the world cup. Barcelona are far better than Spain, Liverpool are better than England and Juventus are better than Italy.

It's still only European club level and not world / international level, of which Keane has won nothing at, nor the balloon d'or.

• Advertisement

This is off topic but he was what they call a bit player in 94

To bring it back on topic what KT has achieved is way more impressive.

He was a starter in 94 and had just won the league with Man Utd, he certainly wasn't a bit part player.

McCarthy accused him of faking an injury, you don't accuse a professional who always gives his all of faking an injury

Not getting into it on this thread

Just to say KT achievements are way higher than his.

he still ran out on his team and his country, Katie Taylor didn't

The champions league is International level.All the world best players play in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

But he did fake an injury

The champions league is International level.All the world best players play in it.

It's not it's european club level, it's not the world cup, nor did keane ever win the ballon d'or

And the actual question is name another Irish Athletes that has come close to what I listed about Taylor, and list out their achievements :

International Soccer
    Represented the Republic of Ireland national football team at
    • under–17,
    • under–19 and
    • senior level.
    • 14 when she played for the under–17s
    • 15 when playing for the under–19s.
    • Scored four goals for the Republic of Ireland under–19s in a 2004 UEFA Under-19 Championship qualifier
    • Made 11 appearances and scored 2 goals for the Republic of Ireland senior team.

Boxing
    • Five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships
    • Gold six times at the European Championships
    • Gold five times at the European Union Championships

An Olympic Gold Medal

Undisputed boxing world champion :

simultaneously holding -
    • the WBA world title
    • the IBF world title
    • the WBO world title
    • the WBC world title

and never lost a professional fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think some ppl just can’t bring themselves to admit she as a woman has done well. Others want to promote also rans. It’s revealing and sad really

Out of curiosity, who promoted also-rans?

Oh, and you've been asked several times if you watched Katie Taylor last night... well did you? Why you keep avoiding that question?

It's not it's european club level, it's not the world cup, nor did keane ever win the ballon d'or

And the actual question is name another Irish Athletes that has come close to what I listed about Taylor, and list out their achievements :

Soccer
    Represented the Republic of Ireland national football team at
    under–17,
    under–19 and
    senior level.
    14 when she played for the under–17s
    15 when playing for the under–19s.
    Scored four goals for the Republic of Ireland under–19s in a 2004 UEFA Under-19 Championship qualifier
    Made 11 appearances and scored 2 goals for the Republic of Ireland senior team.

Boxing
    Five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships
    Gold six times at the European Championships
    Gold five times at the European Union Championships

An Olympic Gold Medal

Undisputed boxing world champion :

simultaneously holding -
    the WBA world title
    the IBF world title
    the WBO world title
    the WBC world title
    and never lost a professional fight.

Padraig Harrington

31 professional wins (haven't time to copy and paste them all in)
    3 Major Championships.

2 time European Golfer of the year
    1 time PGA tour golfer of the year.
    3 time RTE sports person of the year winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I didn't watch Katie Taylor hitting another woman - can't bear boxing, MMA, any 'sport' which involves beating up someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If someone doesn't recognise the Champions League as elite level football, they're either pedantic, ignorant, trolling or just objectively wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they had another fighter Jessica McCaskill in a higher weight class at ring side saying she be happy to fight Katie at either weight.

It's still only European club level and not world / international level, of which Keane has won nothing at, nor the balloon d'or.

Club football is more important to players and fans. The best teams in the world are the best clubs in the world not country's. Messi and C Ronaldo haven't won the world cup, Pogba has, does this make Pogba a better player?
    Happy4all wrote: »
    But he did fake an injury
    No he didn't, you need proof to say something like that

No one is or should be debating that silliness. Professional sports people dont test themselves against the average person. A trained boxer should be able to beat the average joe if they (the averge joe) is stupid enough to get in the ring. Training will level out a bit of strength difference (even then, with the fact she trains, shed probably be as strong or stronger than a good chunk of men).

It's the like for like comparison where the gap shows.

Well, yes, I recall those posters being scoffed at, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Let’s just celebrate Katie Taylor and her great achievement(s). Roy Keane, or anyone else have zero bearing on it...why it’s got to turn into a contest involving a retired footballer is beyond me. You can respect and appreciate both, this cock measuring is getting majorly over the top.

What are you on about?

I don’t know what this cover up u are talking about is?

U on the beer I take it?

McCarthy says he sent him home. FFS at least know the story youre trying to debunk.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    .why it’s got to turn into a contest involving a retired footballer is beyond me. .

It was actually involving another boxer(collins) till a poster started demanding another Irish athlete with top level achievements be posted

McCarthy says he sent him home. FFS at least know the story youre trying to debunk.

Not getting into it. Off topic and reported as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Report everyone sure.

Conveniently it wasnt until you were called on bull****.

KildareFan wrote: »
    I didn't watch Katie Taylor hitting another woman - can't bear boxing, MMA, any 'sport' which involves beating up someone else.

Which means it's just a sport you don't like to watch the same way as I don't like to watch cricket. It doesn't change the fact that a person from Ireland achieved something amazing

• Advertisement
Advertisement