Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's been the best music of this decade?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The internet killed the Radio star - along with X Factor culture - apart from Hip Hop . music this century has been in sharp decline , in comparison to the 50s, 60s , 70s and the 90s - regards modern rock - Arctic Monkeys/Queens of the stone age/ Radiohead and Damon Albarn are the only ones I rate these days - maybe I'm just getting old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

So these are the best music from this decade so far suggested? Lord have mercy..Ha!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KungPao wrote: »
    ‘80s or nothing for me. Lousy stuff these days.
    Nah.

Late 70's to late 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A lot of interesting electronica this decade, Aphex Twin has made an amazing comeback with Syro and recently the Collapse EP, excellent artists like Daniel Avery and Jon Hopkins have tapped into the HD lush soundtrack of techno and beyond. The same with James Holden and the recent stuff from Four Tet too.

OK the James Holden one is from 2006 but there ya go.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I've sort of checked out of the Alternative music scene in the last decade, my period would be the 90's and early 00's. I must catch up on whats been happening and listen through some of the music posted here, Im sure there is some good stuff out there still, shame that the days of going down to the record store and looking through the records are gone, was a pleasurable ritual of mine once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

The Dead South

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

smilerf wrote: »
    The Dead South

Yes, great band. A bit of banjo never hurt any band, except Mumford & Sons which are sh1te.

Yes, great band. A bit of banjo never hurt any band, except Mumford & Sons which are sh1te.
    I run a fan group on Facebook of The Dead South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I think the only album I actually bought for myself in the 2010s was Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker, released a couple of weeks before his death.

My wife gave me Black Radio by the Robert Glasper Experiment — it's not the kind of music I'd normally listen to (piano jazz/hip hop fusion) but I like it a lot.

That said, I'm not especially inspired by current music. Much of it just sounds derivative to me — recycled, repackaged, and bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For me, the 10's mainly represent the decade I stopped listening to new music and switched from listening to Phantom FM to Radio Nova (who pretty much exclusively play classic rock).

The only artists "current" albums I can remember buying in the past decade would be Villagers and Bastille. I paid for some of Ed Sheeran's and Imagine Dragons albums for our kids but almost everything I bought for myself or Mrs Sleepy would have been recorded sometime between 1960 and 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,016 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This thread is turd polishing really.

It's been a poor decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Sleepy wrote: »
    For me, the 10's mainly represent the decade I stopped listening to new music and switched from listening to Phantom FM to Radio Nova (who pretty much exclusively play classic rock).

The only artists "current" albums I can remember buying in the past decade would be Villagers and Bastille. I paid for some of Ed Sheeran's and Imagine Dragons albums for our kids but almost everything I bought for myself or Mrs Sleepy would have been recorded sometime between 1960 and 1999.

Is the radio where you source most of your potential listenings S? You're on a limited sonic research source just listening to Irish radio stations, the vast majority of good current artists and bands making good current LP's wont be showcased on the vast majority of those radio stations during the times you may be listening to them.
    Do you listen to a band called 'Swans'? You'd definitely like them if good rock music is your bag, 'To be Kind' is a great LP of theirs released the last decade.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not to be a dick, but if you're giving up on new music solely based on Phantom FM you're missing out on a lot/almost everything.

Like saying all food is shít and you've switched from Burger King to Mickey Ds.

Like, you won't hear Snapped Ankles on Phantom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Ed Sheeran by a mile in all fairness. Hit after Hit by the guy this decade..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There’s few things more tiresome than some middle-aged dude going on about the death of quality music. Extra bonus tedium points if they are a big fan of Pink Floyd.

• Advertisement

There’s few things more tiresome than some middle-aged dude going on about the death of quality music. Extra bonus tedium points if they are a big fan of Pink Floyd.

We're well past Floyd now. Radiohead was their band. Everything since has been shíte.

I think the 2010s will be remembered more for all the artists who passed away — Prince, Tom Petty, David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, B. B. King, Aretha Franklin, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, and others — than for any notable new talent or music that emerged.

Most of the biggest tours of the decade have been by the likes of Guns 'n' Roses, Roger Waters, AC/DC, Metallica, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, and U2 — aging rockers who have been around for decades. Ed Sheeran is a notable exception.

I'm somewhat skeptical of claims that all this amazing music is being recorded but just not making it into mainstream culture. For the most part, the talent just isn't there.

I'm somewhat skeptical of claims that all this amazing music is being recorded but just not making it into mainstream culture. For the most part, the talent just isn't there.

But mainstream culture is run by money and corporations. The vast majority of good current artists are on small independent record labels, small labels that don't have the funds to get mainstream radio stations to push their work. Different story for the likes of Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift who are signed to major major record labels with vast fortunes of cash banked up so they can push these records and songs onto mainstream radio stations that will gladly take the cash to basically advertise and push this sort of stuff 24/7

I think the 2010s will be remembered more for all the artists who passed away — Prince, Tom Petty, David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, B. B. King, Aretha Franklin, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, and others — than for any notable new talent or music that emerged.

Most of the biggest tours of the decade have been by the likes of Guns 'n' Roses, Roger Waters, AC/DC, Metallica, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, and U2 — aging rockers who have been around for decades. Ed Sheeran is a notable exception.

You're somewhat wrong I'm afraid! The biggest tours have been by those artists because they're guaranteed to sell. Its business. The music industry don't push acts if they won't sell. They don't give them time anymore.

But the best gigs I've seen in the last couple of years have been by smaller acts for the main part. Sleaford Mods, Parquet Courts, Kikagaku Moyo, Oh Sees, Idles, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.

That said Roger Waters, The Stones and Neil Young were all great as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Best albums of the decade:

Currents - Tame Impala

Total Life Forever - Foals

Tycho - Dive

Oddisee - The Beauty In All

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

Anything by Jai Paul

Most things by Drake also, he ruled this decade and anyone who says he's just ok is lying. Hit after hit.

On a personal note I was a big indie/rock/blues head at the start of the decade and would have slagged off any rap/hip hop of any shape or form. Until I discovered Beastie Boys and A Tribe Called Quest which opened the door to loving hip hop and rap.

Lesson learned. Don't close your ears off to any music as every genre has its artists you will gravitate to.

The worst thing music wise in this decade has to be mumble rap, Ed Sheeran or any over hyped artist they are calling one of the "greats". Music isn't a competition but about 95% of popular music today is dwarfed in terms of quality by the decades preceding.

Best thing about this decade is spotify, youtube and other ways of streaming services allowing people to explore their tastes to their hearts content. It has changed my music taste forever anyway.

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    But mainstream culture is run by money and corporations.

That has always been the case, though, so to blame "money and corporations" for the lack of new mainstream music doesn't fully explain it.

When I listen to examples posted above of the allegedly innovative, amazing new music recorded in the 2010s, much of it sounds hopelessly derivative or like the soundtrack to a video game.

If you want to recommend artists I should listen to, please feel free — I'm always interested in discovering quality new music. But I'm just not hearing much to get excited about in the thread so far.

If you want to recommend artists I should listen to, please feel free — I'm always interested in discovering quality new music. But I'm just not hearing much to get excited about in the thread so far.

What sort of music do you like PII?

That has always been the case, though, so to blame "money and corporations" for the lack of new mainstream music doesn't fully explain it.

When I listen to examples posted above of the allegedly innovative, amazing new music recorded in the 2010s, much of it sounds hopelessly derivative or like the soundtrack to a video game.

Thats where Spotify works. You get recommended artists based on what you listen to. The more you use it, the better if gets.

What sort of music do you like PII?

I'd say a mix of classic rock, blues, folk, and some jazz & classical. I have to hold my hand up and say that rap/hip-hop and electronica mostly all sounds the same to me.

I'd say a mix of classic rock, blues, folk, and some jazz & classical. I have to hold my hand up and say that rap/hip-hop and electronica mostly all sounds the same to me.

You should definitely check out 'Swans' then, that 'To be Kind' album I would say you'd really dig.

Kamasi Washington - 'The Epic' , you'd like that too hopefully.

Nal is right, join spotify, put in what you like, it will find the links to current works you would dig too. But do check those two albums, if you havent already, and let us know how you get on

Is the radio where you source most of your potential listenings S? You're on a limited sonic research source just listening to Irish radio stations, the vast majority of good current artists and bands making good current LP's wont be showcased on the vast majority of those radio stations during the times you may be listening to them.
    Do you listen to a band called 'Swans'? You'd definitely like them if good rock music is your bag, 'To be Kind' is a great LP of theirs released the last decade.
    TBH, it's largely a "phase of life" thing. I'm turning 40 next year, have two kids and only really get to listen to music when driving them around or enroute to work. I've an old car with a CD / Radio that isn't bluetooth enabled so I'm largely limited to whatever's on the radio and find the pop stuff being played by 2fm, Spin, Today FM etc. utterly nauseating so Nova has become my default setting.

Phantom would have been the station of my 20's and was great at the time for discerning new stuff.

I miss the time I had in college for exploring music but have found that it's getting so hard to get to the good stuff that I'm now using any commuting time on buses or trains to use Duolingo etc.

You should definitely check out 'Swans' then, that 'To be Kind' album I would say you'd really dig.

Kamasi Washington - 'The Epic' , you'd like that too hopefully.

Nal is right, join spotify, put in what you like, it will find the links to current works you would dig too. But do check those two albums, if you havent already, and let us know how you get on

Earth - 'Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light I & II' another one

Thank you! I'll check out all of the above and sign up for Spotify as well. Much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I've an old car with a CD / Radio that isn't bluetooth enabled so I'm largely limited to whatever's on the radio and find the pop stuff being played by 2fm, Spin, Today FM etc. utterly nauseating so Nova has become my default setting.

You should get a FM Transmitter Tunecast. Only costs around €35.

You connect your phone to the cigarette lighter and it plays Spotify/YouTube/whatever music you have on your phone through the best quality FM station on your car radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Flight Facilities are good!

You should get a FM Transmitter Tunecast. Only costs around €35.

You connect your phone to the cigarette lighter and it plays Spotify/YouTube/whatever music you have on your phone through the best quality FM station on your car radio.

Bought one on Wish but found the sound quality unlistenable to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Bought one on Wish but found the sound quality unlistenable to!

The mistake you made was buying it on Wish :p

I got one in Halfords before and the sound quality is great.

Listening to this album now ... hmmm, the jury is out here. My wife just described the 12-minute-long second track as "Attack of the Mutant Zombies" and is giving me a "Can we turn this off yet?" look. :D

I'd also note that Swans was formed in 1982 and the main force behind it, Michael Gira, is 65 — so he's really of the same generation as AC/DC, Springsteen, etc.

My concern is the seeming lack of genuine musical talent at the younger end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

the past five years chart music has been all the same in comparison to the previous years. Most of what's played is a gimmick and a carbon copy of a person who is commercially successful like that copper bollox sheeran, how many ladladlads are there nows with acoustic guitars on their own. Also, its the same with all that generic electo dance music

Its been a great decade for albums. My list below has been listened to from start to finish many many times. There are some artists that I hadn't listened new to me at the time. Im more than likely missing a fair few In no order. ...

King Gizard & Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats Nest
    James Blake - Overgrown
    Automatic - Signal
    Young Fathers - Dead
    FKA Twigs - EP 1 & 2
    Jungle - Self titled
    Travis Scott - Days before the Rodeo
    Queens of the stone age - Like clock
    The Weeknd - Trilogy
    Bring me the Horizon - Sempiternal
    Pusha-T - My Name Is My Name
    Partynextdoor - #1
    A Perfect Circle - Eat the elephant
    Kanye west - Yeezus
    ELIZA - A real romantic

Listening to this album now ... hmmm, the jury is out here. My wife just described the 12-minute-long second track as "Attack of the Mutant Zombies" and is giving me a "Can we turn this off yet?" look. :D

:pac: I know that game! Stick on Autechre's NTS Session 1-4 if you really want the pinnacle of that look!

For me this decade has been all about 'Autechre', now I know full well the first time people will hear their current works from this decade without knowing who or what they do will just assume their listening device has completely and totally $hat itself. That's what I thought on first listening, but I gave it time, gave it the time it deserves, then you just 'get it' you get the melodies, the intricate arpeggios hidden within the tracks that constitute electronic bleeps and blops. Then you truly have a whole new music experience in your eardrums to enjoy. I get totally lost in their work, especially Elseq 1-5 and the NTS Sessions 1-4 released 2016 and 2018. Its so brilliant. The electronic sounds, they way they are designed by the two boys, they become just as organic sounding than any string percussion instrument or any band using those tools can do too, which is pretty extraordinary given how Autechre create their work. Its like jam funk organic breakbeat jazz from the year 2345. I highly recommend them, but you must, you have to give it time and patience. I did and now have a whole raft of work to enjoy.

The pay-off for giving this sort of work is unreal. I'm getting a four hour train journey later and will have Elseq 1-5 on the earphones. I'll be looking out the window listening and I'll be the happiest hoor on that train.

But sure you might listen to it for two years and not like it at all at all but sure that's grand too. Well, might not be grand for you but sure at least you gave it a go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Another +1 on Tame Impala. For me easily the best band of the decade.
    Roisin Murphys music has come along nicely too, she's had some great stuff.

We also got:
    Arcade Fire
    Friendly Fires
    Little Dragon
    etc

Honestly too much to mention. I've been dipping in and out of Spotify trying to do my top 150 songs of 2010's, really struggling at to be honest, so many good songs (even mainstream music has been largely decent!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭trashcan

This thread is making me feel very old. Most acts mentioned here have me going “who?”

I think there is something in the fact that you gravitate towards the type of music that first grabbed you when you started listening. I genuinely haven’t heard a new act since the 90’s who I really thought were special (Teenage Fanclub, if you’re asking) I like guitars (the more they jangle the better) melody, harmonies etc. not hearing a lot of that these days. Beatles, Post punk (Costello, XTC Undertones, Buzzcocks etc) Smith’s, Trashcans(of course) Lloyd Cole, TFC as mentioned already. Rap, hip hop, etc, just can’t go there. So, to sum up I suppose I’m just an old man who shouts at clouds !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

Music hasn't been the same since Rachel Stevens stopped making music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Rosalie Cunningham would be a particular favourite of mine from the decade. Great voice, very talented. This track would be my favourite from the album she released earlier this year. Love that album artwork, as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

MMyers wrote: »
    Music hasn't been the same since Rachel Stevens stopped making music

Was she the good looking one in Sclub 7? A great voice but I wouldn't have her as one of the best this decade..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Was she the good looking one in Sclub 7? A great voice but I wouldn't have her as one of the best this decade..

Yeah she was. She had a cover of more more more. I guess I should say pop music wasn't the same after her, not music in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

My two favourite live Irish acts I've seen are Girl Band and Mick Flannery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

David Bowie's last album is amazing and is one of the standouts of the decade for me, so poignant especially in hindsight.

One artist that I've really been enjoying is Andy Stott (emerged this decade). There's plenty more but would need a proper think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Relikk wrote: »
    Rosalie Cunningham would be a particular favourite of mine from the decade. Great voice, very talented. This track would be my favourite from the album she released earlier this year. Love that album artwork, as well.

Her stuff with ‘Purson’ is good too.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

For me it has to be Ben Howard.
    Really love the direction he has gone with his music...so much darker now.
    Like a Modern Nick Drake

• Advertisement

Check out Lord Huron guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

smilerf wrote: »
    Check out Lord Huron guys

Sounds a bit Fleet Foxes...

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sounds a bit Fleet Foxes...
    Older stuff I agree but not since strange trails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I must give Autechre a go. I've listened to bits and pieces of their stuff, but I was put off by the size of their latest releases, but I'll brave it and report back.

Other albums that I thought were great:

Peasant by Richard Dawson
    Strange Mercy by St. Vincent
    Channel Orange by Frank Ocean
    Queen of Denmark by John Grant
    I, Gemini by Let's Eat Grandma
    World Eater by Blanck Mass
    In a Poem Unlimited by U. S. Girls
    Relatives in Descent by Protomartyr
    Puberty 2 by Mitski
    Plunge by Fever Ray
    Burn Your Fire for No Witness by Angel Olsen