Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think Till may need to seriously consider returning to 170 if he wants to actually challenge for a belt and even at that I'm not entirely sure he has the tools to get it done at the top. I already said I thought he looked soft pre fight around the mid section so I won't harp on about it but its something for him to think about I feel.

He's grand like, bit like Brunson in that he is in good shape against the mid level guys but not got enough to trouble the top tier fighters. He still has time on his side and his name is still going to generate hype and sell tickets which will keep him around, he could still headline Fight Night cards even having lost 4 in 5 or is it 5 in 6 now I can't remember. No danger of being cut or anything.

As for Paddy the Baddy, I have always enjoyed him and I will continue to enjoy him until he gets sparked out unless he learns to tuck that chin and keep his hands a bit higher! He should have some fun fights while they build him, I doubt he can trouble the top guys in the division but hes a good laugh and I love seeing how Jay from the inbetweeners turned out tbh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Paddy clearly has lots of talent but he has to tidy up his defense or he'll get killed.

I'd love to see him do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not sure why you mentioned SBG. But as you did, for a long time Paddy absolutely was [i]that[/i] type of fighter. Far more cocky and arrogant than he should be. Careful matchmaking (abd judging). Being a cock on Twitter. He was always very polarising.

But he was very young too. Maybe the losses helped, but he seems to have grown up a lot. I would have in the dislike crowd. But I’m glad he win, was a good finish. But he needs to get a lot better to keep climbing. He was losing that round and he takes a lot of head shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Till fought hurt. Seems he tore his ACL 10 weeks out. Not sure how much of it he tore. Obviously not all of it. A spoofer either way though. UFC career has been abysmal. Even his wins against anyone good have been controversial. Only so long a few wins in Brazil against nobodies can prop up your career. Mid card Fight Night guy from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Good fight card. Few surprising dominations, didn't expect Smith v Spann and Cutelabra v Clark to be so one-sided.

Ion needed that win, but he was surprisingly solid with the grappling, very collected performance and proper cardio management. Not a fan of his but it was a great performance.

Spann was wobbled from the first good hit Smith landed. He looked extremely crisp, 3 win streak now and I'd say people are starting to feel a little bit more respect for the guy. He may not be championship material but he's well deserving of the top 10 ranking.

Thought Lipski got hard done by not getting a performance bonus. She dominated Bohm from the start, Maness got a nice finish and it's a great comeback story but realistically he was literallly saved by the bell in R1 from a TKO, another second or two and it would have been called by the ref.

It was a really good main card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Fight Nights events are far more enjoyable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If theres no thread..you make one instead of posting spoilers in another thread. A bit of common sense goes a long way.

No offence but that's pretty terrible modding. Would it not have been easier to just split it off into a "UFC 266 Discussion thread" rather than outright delete two lengthy posts from a UFC spoiler thread, literally two full days after the fight?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It's not 2 full days after, the card was on Saturday night it was only a few hours after and theres multiple posts from people spoiling the event posting in other threads because they don’t see a UFC 266 one and rather than just create one decide to post in threads they know they shouldn't and ruin it for multiple people including myself who has to then moderate them.

As for splitting this post, yup I probably could have done but didn’t see the option on mobile at the time. I will see if I can restore their post, but in future theres a very easy solution to avoid getting a lengthy post deleted..post it in the right place.

Post edited by Axwell on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

No wonder this forum is dead.

My post was closer to 24 hours after the event than a few hours. How long is a person supposed to wait before posting about the result?

• Advertisement

Post in the right thread and you don't have to wait at all - this is a thread for fight night events. PPVs like UFC 266 go in their own thread.

I mean its all pretty clear in the charter.

10) Spoilers

No talk of recent fights and results unless it is in the relevant event thread - if there is none then create one, do not post it in General Chat or another thread. It's still a spoiler if you give the result away in a thread title within a reasonable time period of 1 week, you can talk about it but just give a spoiler warning and don't give results away with obvious headings! No one wants to be spoiled or receive an email notification with the result of a fight because you were too lazy to set up a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

What happened to the UFC 266 thread, looks like it was deleted?

Always thought it was a mad rule, pandering to the people who browse forums dedicated to the sport they want to avoid, people looking to be annoyed by something they could have avoided easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'll just not bother posting in this forum again.

With the state of the current platform and your attitude, no wonder there's no business happening here.

It's not really pandering it's just common courtesy to people that didn't have time to catch the event at the weekend that people post in the right thread so it's not spoiled. People being annoyed by something they could have avoided easily - the same logic applies to people complaining, post in the right thread and follow the basic rules and no one gets spoiled and everyone's happy. Don't follow the rules and people are complaining about spoilers and then those that couldn't be bothered to post in the right thread are complaining about their posts.

You asked a question..you were given an answer and shown the relevant point in the charter. If you failed to read it at any point when posting on that forum that's on you, as someone who joined back in 2007 you should be pretty familiar with the fact each forum has a charter and rules to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The forum is so dead it's probably a rule best left in the past. One thread for every UFC event and if there's enough interest break it off (likely on a McGregor fight at this point). It's silly to create a thread when there where three or four of us posting a few comments live. I actually thought it was the correct thread, just clicked into the thread that was active and didn't even look at the title, assume most did the same.

But has the UFC 266 thread been deleted, I tried to respond to a post earlier but it was gone by the time I hit post?

Thats why there is just one fight night event thread - PPV always get their own thread as there is likely to be more ongoing discussion over the few days as people catch up on it. There is a UFC 266 thread there to post in - just trying to move some posts around and clean up at the min.

Reddit has huge MMA and UFC subreddits, there's always seperate threads for each fight and pretty common for them to have hundreds/thousands of comments. It's a fantastic resource, I was quite anti-Reddit for a long time but it's now my favourite place to talk about MMA events.

For some reason I'm not a fan of some of the MMA forums that are more similar to boards, like Sherdog or whatever.

Reddit is huge but the good content is drowned in the drool.

This place was leagues better at its peak. But the new site is killing it. Site wide it’s a problem.

• Advertisement

A sports bra and hot pants aren’t going to be very heavy. But 100g could be the differences be rounding up or down to the limit.

But cutting so much you can’t stand is a different story. Regardless of what they’re wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Has ladd not had issues before with weight cuts?

Plenty. She needs to get serious or move up weight. She's missed weight multiple times and looked like the Grim Reaper was coming for her on the scales.

Blaming it on her period is a total cop out.

How the f*ck is Bethe Correia still in the UFC?

2-5-1 in the last six years.

It won't be long until Karol Rosa rockets up the rankings. I'd fancy her against the majority of the top 10.

UP KING CASEY!

Casey O'Neill is another passenger on the aforementioned rocket up the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

she was due to have her last fight in jan but fight was postponed

she did well to hang in there as long as she did considering her record and it's hard to believe she once fought ronda for the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

This main card is sick

outisde of the hernandez fight I think the rest will deliver

I mean cowboy v price should be an absolute war. I fancy both will be getting 50k

someones going to sleep in the main event, think it'll be walker myself but I'm also liking his confidence this time also.

It looks like a fight tailormade for santos though.

Holland really needs a big performance also and cirkunov badly needs a win, his record

is pretty poor and I think jotko could win this just by being that bit tougher.

Jamie Malarkey look savage in there in round 2. What a beat down to finish.

Jamie could be the only one bringing a tri-colour to the octagon for some time.

• Advertisement

She "couldn't stand" because she was up to no good inside the privacy frame. It wasn't because she was dizzy.

It went on for like 10 minutes and the frame kept moving without anyone else touching it. She wouldn't put two hands up when they asked her. She was standing on one leg and wobbling around. Then for some reason they put a towel to cover the gap under the frame. The whole thing was a farce.

She had no problems standing still on the scales 2 minutes beforehand in a tracksuit.

Advertisement