Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fungie the dolphin is missing - Or is he?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭quokula

Has anyone actually taken one of the boat trips out to see him?
    did it a few years back and it was honestly one of the most surreal things I ever did, there were 3 or 4 boats with tourists on them, and then one smaller boat with a lad hanging off the back, doing fast turns and splashing the water in an attempt to get the dolphins attention, but it felt more like he was being corralled. Both myself an they wife both felt a bit uncomfortable about the whole thing afterwards, it felt a bit more like we were harassing the dolphin rather than observing him.

I've done it. It was fairly surreal alright. Never seemed like they were corralling him in the slightest though, he was swimming about, diving down and coming back to the surface wherever the hell he wanted, while a whole fleet of far less agile boats desperately tried to follow him like some kind of Benny Hill sketch. Occasionally he jumped up next to one of the boats but it seemed very much on his terms, he was well easily capable of diving under the water then popping up 30 seconds later on the opposite side of the bay. The boats couldn't control his movements if they wanted to.

I also did some reading up on it at the time, there's been about half a dozen similar dolphins around the world known to have made their home in bays near humans. Fungi is the only one that didn't end badly, mainly due to strict rules that were maintained around not feeding him, not letting lots of people in the water with him, and basically leaving him to live as a proper wild animal. Other examples tried to pen them in, or lure them to spots that were better for viewing, or have loads of tourists swim with the dolphins, all of which ended up with the dolphins acting aggressively towards people who were invading their space.

Found an article on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south/series1/lone-dolphins.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

Some people must have a low threshold for surrealism. I went to see Fungi on a boat piloted by a chicken and a pink dolphin leapt from a rainbow coloured sea and transformed into a giant skull before our eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Pretty daft basing a whole industry on a dolphin. He's 45 years old. Probably died of old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Maybe funghi just buggered off with a recent visiting pod or was eaten by a whale also visiting.;
    All they are worried about is their dollars in kerry - ireland has very little empathy for any money making animal: farm animals greyhounds, pet dogs, racehorses the zoo in dublin and funghi. We are a nation of users and abusers where animals are concerned. Swim away funghi and dont look back to shreiking children and greedy boatmen swim away and enjoy your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Maybe funghi just buggered off with a recent visiting pod or was eaten by a whale also visiting.;
    All they are worried about is their dollars in kerry - ireland has very little empathy for any money making animal: farm animals greyhounds, pet dogs, racehorses the zoo in dublin and funghi. We are a nation of users and abusers where animals are concerned. Swim away funghi and dont look back to shreiking children and greedy boatmen swim away and enjoy your life.

You would swear he was held captive against his will !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The plots thickening lol

Where I fish for big pollock and bass has a recent visitation of a dolphin in a bay near Milltown Malbay in Co Clare.

This year he or she wiped out or scared off the pollock and bass, because I'm catching none in my usual hidden spot.

It's either Dusty or Orb one of the two or would fungi head to Clare

I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

the healy rae's have him hostage in their bath until people in kerry are allowed drink and drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Has anyone asked Joe? Maybe he can ask Funghi to make contact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

I dare someone with time on your hands to ring Joe Duffy about Fungi ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

He was a little fish in a big pond.
    Pissed off some of the bigger fish.
    Now sleeps with the fishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Or for his corpse to be dropped off at a presbytery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

6541 wrote: »
    How do we know Fungie is a He ?

Disgusting the amount of people assuming Fungi's gender in this thread :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Disgusting the amount of people assuming Fungi's gender in this thread :mad:

Indeed.

Well, Wikipedia says he’s a he, so it must be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

So who forgot to replace the batteries? Not like the Kerry lads to get careless with a moneyspinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Sorry if asked before, but how many are there of these boating companies that revolve around taking tourists out to view the dolphin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Surely with such an important asset the good people of Dingle attached a tracker to Fungi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭housetypeb

The wake will probably be held in Dingle and should be mighty craic altogether.
    The viewing and service will be held in the cannery,where world leaders, local big wigs, sushi dealers,the poor and the despondent, will unite together in common grief, and Covid, before heading off to the nearest Shebeen where sea shanties shall be sung until the break of day.
    Flags at half mast and fishing nets put away for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Maybe he got a fungal infection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

make contact you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

I thought Kerry was just a big theme park for the Americans, do real Irish people live there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

529956.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Its kinda sad really. What are the odds of getting a wild animal that tame with people, and attached just to the Dingle area like that again zero id say.

Its definitely a loss to the local area. Probably just old age got the fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

122106342_4554766787930691_424390943581059236_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=QTR2NoHUuvIAX-AWbGB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=6&oh=337f11e1f054766b893413d855d0ac64&oe=5FB5A355

funghi is a mammal and maybe has been eaten by a bigger fish its just nature. People are so mental in the world these days is frightening its acreature its gone move on Dingle the cash cow has given you the 2 fins !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

funghi is a fish and maybe has been eaten by a bigger fish its just nature. People are so mental in the world these days is frightening its a fish its gone move on Dingle the cash cow has given you the 2 fins !!

Dolphins are mammals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

funghi is a fish and maybe has been eaten by a bigger fish its just nature. People are so mental in the world these days is frightening its a fish its gone move on Dingle the cash cow has given you the 2 fins !!

Since when is a dolphin a fish?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Since when is a dolphin a fish?

corrected guys my error still a bit sleepy Whoo Hoo have a good day internet police click your jackboots now........fishy wishy woo to you !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

If fungie himself has generated a hoax disappearance to improve his social media status I will see to it that he is hung by the tail from the nearest lamp post! :cool:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

corrected guys my error still a bit sleepy Whoo Hoo have a good day internet police click your jackboots now........fishy wishy woo to you !

Yes saw that and it now reads funny.

I get your point though. Animal in waters for 37 years and people don't seem to accept that he most likely just naturally died.

Also, most likely never be solved as they won't find his carcass so this will just drag on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wonder if they found him dead but don't want to tell the nation due to fears of public morale. Also they could be trying to find a replacement :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I have very strong evidence that Fungi has been eaten by the Loch Ness monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It be sad to see him go what ever the circumstances. I've seen him a good few times over the years. Dingle won't be the same without him. It be a huge loss to Dingle. It be hard to replace him as he was very friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nah...... Fungie is the Loch Ness monster

I wonder if they found him dead but don't want to tell the nation due to fears of public morale. Also they could be trying to find a replacement :pac:

The interviews are going on right now.

Dingle elder. 'Where do you see yourself in 5 years?'
    Dolphin. 'E EE EEEEE EEK'*

* 'What a bloody stupid question.'

Seaworld will be opening in Dingle soon - what a load so bollox let him go they had 30 years of exploitation and shrieking humans annoying him every day. Maybe he wants a rest now dead or alive leave him be, drop the story if he comes back grand if not you all paid your damn mortgages on his head so be grateful and shut up now we are bored with the faux tears.
    Like everything in Ireland its all the economics, tell me this why did the greyhound and race horses get the huge grants again even though the greens were against it? We dont give a flying **** about animals its only all they can earn for us. Keep going Funghi and don't stop till you reach Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

I wonder - did Fungi ever really love us at all.

Was the whole thing a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Thats about as funny as getting a stye in the eye...

I have very strong evidence that the Loch Ness Monster lives in a fresh water loch... And Fungi in the Atlantic sea a saltwater environment.

Guy knows nothin about marine life ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Tuco88 & bertiebomber bring the petty back & forth squabbling elsewhere.

Posts deleted.

Public morale???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

So for 37 year Fungie has lived with the people of Dingle, after tragically getting disconnected from his family Pod, way back in 1983...

Fungie has had many adventures and made many friends, with his adopted Irish family, but now.....
    Fungie has finally been reunited family, as they have finally return back to Ireland.

The POD has returned to the Dingle area again, after their long journey around the world, always on the lookout for their missing friend...

It's time for Fungie to say goodbye to his Irish friends as he swims out to sea, together with his long lost family, for many more adventures to come...but he will never forget the people that took care of him all these years....

Farwell good friend....

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

ForestFire wrote: »
    So for 37 year Fungie has lived with the people of Dingle, after tragically getting disconnected from his family Pod, way back in 1983...

Fungie has had many adventures and made many friends, with his adopted Irish family, but now.....
    Fungie has finally been reunited family, as they have finally return back to Ireland.

The POD has returned to the Dingle area again, after their long journey around the world, always on the lookout for their missing friend...

It's time for Fungie to say goodbye to his Irish friends as he swims out to sea, together with his long lost family, for many more adventures to come...but he will never forget the people that took care of him all these years....

Farwell good friend....

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it......

That's a copyright infringement of An American Tail

Fungi has been replaced several times over.

Fungi has been replaced several times over.

And Neil Armstrong never stood on the moon. Riiiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Seaworld will be opening in Dingle soon - what a load so bollox let him go they had 30 years of exploitation and shrieking humans annoying him every day. Maybe he wants a rest now dead or alive leave him be, drop the story if he comes back grand if not you all paid your damn mortgages on his head so be grateful and shut up now we are bored with the faux tears.
    Like everything in Ireland its all the economics, tell me this why did the greyhound and race horses get the huge grants again even though the greens were against it? We dont give a flying **** about animals its only all they can earn for us. Keep going Funghi and don't stop till you reach Australia

As salty as the sea itself....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Perhaps he has just gone for a long swim?? I know a fella in Fiji who said he saw a dolphin in the waters today, asked him to describe him and it was uncanny how similar he sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I was reading that one of the boat operators said that if he's gone off it might be because of the changes in his routine this year. He hadn't people coming to see him for months during lockdown so that was a big change.

Then a marine biologist said he was near the end of his normal lifespan anyway and would have found eating more difficult and may have died from an infection as apparently that happens elderly dolphins. I'd say it will stay a mystery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement